[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 83138 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
But would you take Kostas over a better player next year? Because that's also an option, even if the scholarship goes unfilled this year.

I'd take Kostas with a year under his belt at MU with the strength and conditioning program next year, over a guy similar to Young next year. Obviously if we can fill the 4 vacancies next year with 4 stars (at least 3 of which are big men), I'd be inclined to wait it out, but thats probably not going to happen. The fact that Heldt will be our only big man thats not a freshman next year scares the hell out of me. Kostas may not help that situation at all, but when you got an empty chair, its worth the chance...

That said, still holding out hope we find someone better.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »
I personally don't like empty scholarships. They are one year contracts, if the player doesn't work out after a year, cut him and find a different player. However, I don't think we are in give a warm body a scholarship mode quite yet. There are always transfers who become available late in the summer. We went after Austin Nichols last summer and he didn't leave Memphis until after the Fourth of July. I think you bide your time and see how the transfer market shakes out. I'm still holding out hope for a Marc Eddy Norelia, Jaron Blossomgame, or Christian White. All MASSIVE long shots but a guy can dream.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
I'd take him over an empty chair.

And so would Clint Eastwood!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
Todd Mayo had bloodlines.....

Isn't that proving the point. The Mayo brothers had a ton of similarities. Unfortunately, they were the bad characteristics.

Both came across incredible mature and well-spoken one day and do something completely idiotic the next.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
Why isn't Marquette taking a harder look at him?
Thanks for posting this to help facilitate our discussion. I believe that Kostas brings a lot to the table and we should be aggressively recruiting him. To answer your question, My gut instinct is that his "curb appeal" is not necessarily the greatest. He comes across as string bean type and our head coach is fond of calling the Big East a Man's League. I think our lack of interest is as simple as that. My take is we can work with him and build him up physically. I am a big fan of our strength and conditioning department and believe they will work wonders with Kostas so he can realize on his potential. Moreover, you couldn't find a better family situation for a kid like that than to be in the same town as his brother at a quality Jesuit institution like ours.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:10:21 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
I would take him in a heartbeat. If he does not pan out Wojo can pull a Wally on him.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
I would think since he is not committed anywhere yet, school might be an issue right now, really should go to Prep school for many reasons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
I would take him in a heartbeat. If he does not pan out Wojo can pull a Wally on him.

Only problem with that is Kostas won't be spending time away from the team to focus on what he is really good at.

I would think since he is not committed anywhere yet, school might be an issue right now, really should go to Prep school for many reasons.

More to do with his lack of ability to play basketball well than to do schoolwork well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
Some interesting comments from his High School coach.
http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/basketball/2016/05/16/purdue-targeting-kostas-antetokounmpo/84429894/

Which comment was interesting? The one where he wants to play right away? Cause that isn't going to happen here

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
this is the most interesting part about the article and probably why Purdue would be cool with a project like Kostas

"Purdue returns 7-2 center Isaac Haas, 6-9 power forward Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan, 6-8 forward Vincent Edwards, 6-10 forward Jacquil Taylor and 6-6 forward Basil Smotherman to its frontcourt."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »
this is the most interesting part about the article and probably why Purdue would be cool with a project like Kostas

"Purdue returns 7-2 center Isaac Haas, 6-9 power forward Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan, 6-8 forward Vincent Edwards, 6-10 forward Jacquil Taylor and 6-6 forward Basil Smotherman to its frontcourt."
Basil Smotherman is the first round leader in the clubhouse for Cool Names.
            ---Al McGuire

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »
Basil Smotherman is the first round leader in the clubhouse for Cool Names.

To bad he's not the one with Biggie as a nickname.  Biggie Smotherman is gold.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
Isn't that proving the point. The Mayo brothers had a ton of similarities. Unfortunately, they were the bad characteristics.

Both came across incredible mature and well-spoken one day and do something completely idiotic the next.

Yup...that was the point

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »

Purdue's problem is their guards aren't good.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »
Purdue's problem is their guards aren't good.
f
Kostas says he has a good handle.
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Also seems to be some question about if he will qualify.

Either way not happening...for the 1000 time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
f
Kostas says he has a good handle.

Like Bandit or Snowman?

brandx

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
His team did win the state championship. I am not sure who else is on the team, but winning the state championship shows some ability to play.

For every player on the team?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
That's the thing that I think a lot of people who haven't seen the kid don't understand.  He's not a big by any stretch of the imagination.  While project bigs often times are worth the wait because they take longer to develop, taking a "project wing" isn't always as successful.  Kostas is a wing.  He's legitimately thinner than I am, and for a D1 basketball player, that's a very big problem.  People continually use the term, "You can't teach height" in regards to Kostas.  Kostas isn't going to be some banging, bruising big sitting in the post.  He's a (bad) wing.
That may be why Wojo is actually not recruiting him. He is a wing, but not a three point shooter.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »
I personally don't like empty scholarships. They are one year contracts, if the player doesn't work out after a year, cut him and find a different player.

I think the "one year contract" (potentially X 4 or 5 years) is not the right way to think of a scholarship.  Unless you are Coach K or John Calipari recruiting one-and-dones, your goal should be to bring in guys that you believe will develop, learn your system and contribute for 3-4 years.  The "one year contract" is an out if you bring in a guy you really believe can do that, but it turns out he can't.  Then you cut your losses and move on.  It would surprise me if Wojo brought in a kid he doubted could cut it, and wasn't otherwise interested in, just to fill an empty seat until something better comes along.

Unless the perfect PF falls in our laps, I say you let the scholarship go unfilled.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I'd be good with MU recruiting Kostas.. for 2017. "Hey, let's keep in touch... go to prep school, keep working, let's stay close and see where things go..."
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
I'd be good with MU recruiting Kostas.. for 2017. "Hey, let's keep in touch... go to prep school, keep working, let's stay close and see where things go..."
That is a positive platform to work from.
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
To bad he's not the one with Biggie as a nickname.  Biggie Smotherman is gold.

what a coincidence!!  that's been my nickname since grade school too! wow! :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »

Probably the most likely scenario. I have to think just based on late "what the hell" flyer potential, he'd be getting more legit interest at this point. Has he taken any official visits?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.