[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 83061 times)

Ron Paul

• Starter
Kostas Antetokounmpo
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »
Why isn't Marquette taking a harder look at him?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »
Because he isn't good at basketball.  The same reason no high major (or even mid major) D1 college basketball programs are taking a harder look at him.

If his last name was anything other than "Antetokounmpo" and we were going after a 6'9" 200 lb wing from Dominican High School who is just another guy at the WIAA D5 level that not even UWM shows interest in, what would Scoop look like?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »
I can't decide what I want more: Wades to be wrong about Kostas or MU in NY to be wrong about Kostas. I'm leaning Wades, because sometimes I think NY is just pulling the collective leg of scoop.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »
What a great question.   No one has brought this up before.   

Pros:   His brother is really good, maybe lightning can be caught in a bottle.   He is long and somewhat athletic.
Cons:   He's not THAT athletic yet, failed to excel against 6'2 kids from private high schools in Wisconsin.   

If he was really good, would he still be available?

If MU's roster was stacked and balanced and deep at every position, he is the kind of kid to take a flyer on.   IMO, MU's roster is not yet at that point.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:31 AM »
What a great question.   No one has brought this up before.   

Pros:   His brother is really good, maybe lightning can be caught in a bottle.   He is long and somewhat athletic.
Cons:  He's not THAT athletic yet, failed to excel against 6'2 kids from private high schools in Wisconsin.   

If he was really good, would he still be available?

If MU's roster was stacked and balanced and deep at every position, he is the kind of kid to take a flyer on.   IMO, MU's roster is not yet at that point.
His team did win the state championship. I am not sure who else is on the team, but winning the state championship shows some ability to play.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »
Tony Gries and Jared Sichting went to the Final Four, too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
His team did win the state championship. I am not sure who else is on the team, but winning the state championship shows some ability to play.

I think Christ King grade school could compete for the D5 WIAA State Championship most years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »

Sorry Ron Paul. it's not happening.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »

Because he is an avg player

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
I've never seen him play except on mixtapes.  I don't know anything.  But if Wojo doesn't find a Plan C 6'9" guy who he can usher out of town after his Sophomore year if things don't work out I'll be sorely disappointed if Kostas ends up at UNLV.

I'm going to go super 'old school' on you guys.  Back in the mid 70's there was a kid at Thomas More HS who was one of the better players in the state named Dick Miller.  Nobody locally recruited Dick even though he really wanted to stay in the area. He went to Toledo later bringing Harvey Knuckles from St. Kate's with him.  Those two guys took Toledo to the NCAA 2 years in a row including a Sweet 16 run.  We need a guy like that.

Edit.  I just looked up Dick's wiki.  Passed away from a heart attack in '14.  55 years young.  God rest his soul.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:38:39 AM by jsglow »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 09:32:43 AM »
I know very little about Kostas that I didn't learn here.  I've never seen him play in person. But he has size and great bloodlines.  I'd take him over an empty chair.  Will he play at all next year? Probably not much.  Will he ever be a contributor? Maybe not.  But he's a nice project big, and you never know, you may strike gold. And if not, so what? Let him go.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »
I know very little about Kostas that I didn't learn here.  I've never seen him play in person. But he has size and great bloodlines.  I'd take him over an empty chair.  Will he play at all next year? Probably not much.  Will he ever be a contributor? Maybe not.  But he's a nice project big, and you never know, you may strike gold. And if not, so what? Let him go.

Todd Mayo had bloodlines.....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »

Only half...
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »

Christ, he's been gone for 2 years. Let it go.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »

Todd also had major character flaws.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »

That's the thing that I think a lot of people who haven't seen the kid don't understand.  He's not a big by any stretch of the imagination.  While project bigs often times are worth the wait because they take longer to develop, taking a "project wing" isn't always as successful.  Kostas is a wing.  He's legitimately thinner than I am, and for a D1 basketball player, that's a very big problem.  People continually use the term, "You can't teach height" in regards to Kostas.  Kostas isn't going to be some banging, bruising big sitting in the post.  He's a (bad) wing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »

Wally has great bloodlines too

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »

But would you take Kostas over a better player next year? Because that's also an option, even if the scholarship goes unfilled this year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
But would you take Kostas over a better player next year? Because that's also an option, even if the scholarship goes unfilled this year.

Poor question.  Would I take Kostas over our 4th best recruit next year?  Perhaps.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »
Todd also had major character flaws.

Oh did he ever.....character was revealed before it was revealed....yet we took him anyway....character revealed.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
Christ, he's been gone for 2 years. Let it go.

LOL.  We have people here that can't let go of something that happened 8 years ago.

My point was, bloodlines don't mean that much.  Eron Gordon is an example in the last two weeks.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Kostas over an empty chair might make sense for 2016-17.

But an empty chair gives flexibility to accept a mid-year transfer or it gives you one additional roster spot (for freshman or transfer) in 2017-18 and beyond.

If Kostas doesn't have what Wojo wants in a player, he shouldn't take a flyer on him.  And I don't care about bloodlines.   

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
LOL.  We have people here that can't let go of something that happened 8 years ago.

Classic CBB.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »
Wally 2.0?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »

And he was a talented basketball player for us. He was also a major head case, but that has nothing to do with his bloodlines.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.