Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot  (Read 48148 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
So is this going to be an annual thing?  Cut the worst player in the team to troll for something better?  And if nothing pops up, and empty seat is better than the worst player.

We could always take a flyer on a player to fill the empty seat and if they don't pan out just kick them off the team to take a flyer on another fringe player.

Is that what you are advocating?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Wally came in as a all-American high jumper.  That was part of the deal.  After two years that is now not ok?

If JJJ or Cheatham came in as two-sport athletes from the beginning, that would be ok too.

Again nothing has ever been mentioned about Wally being a loafer or lacking commitment.  That statement, like the long post by NY above, are just tortured logic to protect Wojo.  It's simple, a coach needed a spot so he could get someone better, cut Wally to make that spot, and misjudged and now has no one to fill it.

This is not hard to understand, it is only hard for some that Wojo misjudged Gill and Young and needlessly ended Wally's basketball career because of it.

-------

Again, cut Wally to bring in someone better, and they actually come, that's how life works.  Welcome to reality.

Cut Wally and that someone better does not show, your coach misjudged and I worry about his ability to recruit.  He blew it.  That is also reality.

Again, you go to incredible lengths to make yourself look completely foolish just for a little attention on Scoop, even if it's negative.  It's really odd.  You literally have absolutely zero knowledge about what you're saying.  If every poster on this board agreed with you and all you got were a few "+1" posts, you'd be posting the complete opposite of what you are now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Heisy: If you have some inside knowledge share it. Otherwise, everything you say is based on speculation, and your arguments are worthless.

As for Brad Stevens, why the hell would he want to leave the NBA for Duke? As another Scooper said, even if he got fired for some reason, he would quickly land another NBA job. Why would he want to follow a legend, deal with mommies and daddies again, etc.?

I'd bet on Wojo following K before Stevens, although I don't really think it would be Wojo, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
You seem to be arguing that the new policy of the program.   Every March figure out with the 13th player is and cut him so they can try and find somebody better.

Again I don't have a problem with that but say it up front.  On the first day of practice in October say their are 13 guys here one of you is going to be cut from this team in March.  So don't be the last guy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
You seem to be arguing that the new policy of the program.   Every March figure out with the 13th player is and cut him so they can try and find somebody better.

Again I don't have a problem with that but say it up front.  On the first day of practice in October say their are 13 guys here one of you is going to be cut from this team in March.  So don't be the last guy.

There's no need to announce a policy. Its the policy of every single D1 college basketball program. If you are the worst player on any team with 13 scholarship players, and the team has a glaring need at another position, and there is a reasonable chance the team can get another player at that position, than you are likely going to be cut.

But again, as others have said, this isn't the whole story with Wally.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »

My lord. Just let it go, dude. You're just arguing with yourself on endless circles.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
Brad Stevens will get the Duke job.
You are hilarious...you state a lot of crap lIke you know it to be true, and then when people call you out, you backtrack mighty fast.  Who cares who is on "Duke's shortlist." 

I've never read anything that stated Stevens is interested in coming back....and I've read plenty about how many GM's and players respect the heck out of him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
There's no need to announce a policy. Its the policy of every single D1 college basketball program. If you are the worst player on any team with 13 scholarship players, and the team has a glaring need at another position, and there is a reasonable chance the team can get another player at that position, than you are likely going to be cut.

But again, as others have said, this isn't the whole story with Wally.

We seem to be saying the same thing as me.  Wojo cut Wally to make room for someone else.  This has been my point and all the tortured logic like this post below is a bunch of crap.

I'm also making the point that Wojo seems to overestimate a lot of these late season recruits, transfers which is why we are now with one open schollie

I understand the points you are making here.  Let me give you a different side of the issue that you may not have considered.

As you know, because you post on it frequently, Wally is a top level high jumper.  What if Wojo decided not to renew Wally's basketball scholarship( that is what actually happened he was not cut)  only when he had another bird in the hand. Wojo had no way of knowing when that would happen. What if it happened the weekend Wally was at the NCAA track championships. It would have been a shock to Wally for sure and potentially screwed up the intense focus and preparation he needed to compete for a national championship.  How fair would that have been to Wally? 

I am not a Wojo Slurper or apologist by any means., but in this case I believe part of the consideration among the coaching staff and administration  was that it would be most fair to Wally  and best to deliver the bad news up front as part of the regularly scheduled review process. This way he had plenty of time to digest it and move on .

Wally also limited his own options by not being in a position to graduate by the end of the summer.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
I'm also making the point that Wojo seems to overestimate a lot of these late season recruits, transfers which is why we are now with one open schollie

It's only May 22nd.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »
50/50 that another player is added before school starts in August.    A whole lot to shake out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
We seem to be saying the same thing as me.  Wojo cut Wally to make room for someone else.  This has been my point and all the tortured logic like this post below is a bunch of crap.

We are not. I am saying Wojo did the right thing despite not landing Young or Gill. You are freaking out about it and questioning Wojo's judgement.

Wojo doesn't need any defending. But if you think the Wally situation was as simple as a player getting cut for a better player, you are kidding yourself.
TAMU

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Wally came in as a all-American high jumper.  That was part of the deal.  After two years that is now not ok?

If JJJ or Cheatham came in as two-sport athletes from the beginning, that would be ok too.

Again nothing has ever been mentioned about Wally being a loafer or lacking commitment.  That statement, like the long post by NY above, are just tortured logic to protect Wojo.  It's simple, a coach needed a spot so he could get someone better, cut Wally to make that spot, and misjudged and now has no one to fill it.

This is not hard to understand, it is only hard for some that Wojo misjudged Gill and Young and needlessly ended Wally's basketball career because of it.

-------

Again, cut Wally to bring in someone better, and they actually come, that's how life works.  Welcome to reality.

Cut Wally and that someone better does not show, your coach misjudged and I worry about his ability to recruit.  He blew it.  That is also reality.

You're dumb.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »

I bet Calipari is getting a ton of grief for missing on Bolden last week

fjm

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
You're actually comparing being an elite track athlete to hanging at a diner with a girlfriend??? Wow, didn't think it was possible, but this site has established a new level of idiocy. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've never played a sport in your life and have no idea what's involved.

False. Played sports. Many. Never pulled a groin either...

What I was saying is why is it ok for Wally to play on the team with a lower level of commitment to the team than other guys? Sorry I didn't dumb it down enough for your groin.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
So Wojo brings Wally in to get kid brother Henry for a year.  Henry jumps to the NBA where he'll be overdrafted and then you cut Wally?

No wonder why these late season recruits won't commit to Wojo

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
So Wojo brings Wally in to get kid brother Henry for a year.  Henry jumps to the NBA where he'll be overdrafted and then you cut Wally?

No wonder why these late season recruits won't commit to Wojo

Oh hi. You must be new here. All the handwringing has been done about this topic and has been done for weeks now. Scoop moves at a very fast pace to the newest and shiny topic.

Furthermore, unless these recruits have siblings I imagine none of them care who got cut to give them a scholarship--just that they are important enough to get one.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Being drafted(over under or otherwise) is the dream of every kid that plays college basketball.

If you think the Wally situation has anything to do with Gill or Young you are an idiot.

Carry on though....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:54 PM »
Being drafted(over under or otherwise) is the dream of every kid that plays college basketball.

If you think the Wally situation has anything to do with Gill or Young you are an idiot.

Carry on though....

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Class71

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »
Just be prepared for a very long season. We do not have the tools to be a factor.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2016, 06:41:03 AM »
Yeah we do. I expect we will be better than last year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:08 AM »
Just a hunch, but, I'm figurin' we add a scholarship playa between now and da start of da fall semester, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »
We probably will never know the full story. Even under the best scenario we are still left with a black eye by not setting proper expectations with the family and public. It never should have came down to one side or the other parting on bad terms.

That said, black eyes heal. I don't think any top 75 recruit will care we cut Wally. I just hate wasted scholarships so we better use it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
We probably will never know the full story. Even under the best scenario we are still left with a black eye by not setting proper expectations with the family and public. It never should have came down to one side or the other parting on bad terms.

That said, black eyes heal. I don't think any top 75 recruit will care we cut Wally. I just hate wasted scholarships so we better use it.

What black eye. Outside of scoop no one even realized this happened
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »

Oh?  We'd better?

Sign a stiff, if you have too, Wojo, but for God's sake don't piss off martyconlonontherun.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
As much is it is important to have 13 scholarship players, the bigger question is how you keep them all happy?  You only play at most 9 or 10 players so the 13th player
to accept a scholy to just a fill a spot is ridiculous.    Yes, MU needs a power forward, and for the second year in a row Wojo has come up short  filling a need.  I am having a hard time digesting his inability to close at the end.  Right now MU has more to sell in the future then 90% of the programs in America, not sure he is getting it done.  2 years new arena, first class facility right near campus where an NBA team and MU players will be able to work with each other.  I would think next year will be
a big year as well as the following year as the building goes up.  No excuses going forward in my book.  Lots to sell.

feedback