[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot  (Read 48145 times)

MattVelazquez

Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot

On Wednesday morning, 6-foot-9 Canadian forward Kalif Young announced that he will play college basketball at Providence in the fall. Heading into that announcement, Marquette was the other finalist that the three-star recruit was considering.

Source: Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:31:03 PM »
Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot

On Wednesday morning, 6-foot-9 Canadian forward Kalif Young announced that he will play college basketball at Providence in the fall. Heading into that announcement, Marquette was the other finalist that the three-star recruit was considering.

Source: Wojciechowski not anxious to fill roster spot
I guess he is not worried about it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:33:21 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
I guess he is not worried about it.

And he shouldn't be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »
And he shouldn't be.

I agree he doesn't need to be worried about this year's team. I am personally worried about the 17-18 squad's post situation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »
Young only helped us after the upcoming season and in a depth crisis due to fouls or injury as a body to throw out there this season.

If we want to get amped up over the scholie the only "immediate" help would have been Gill and we didn't get that. If the Ellenson portion of this were removed the angst would be minimal right now.

Maybe I'm just drinking kool aid but I think there is something to be said about Young on the roster forcing us to play two different styles depending on if he was on the court or not.

We'll see what this season brings but I see no reason to change my believe that we will make the post season this year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
To me it always was about the year after. I had no idea how good Young can be, but if you gave him a scholarship this year that was one less to hand out next year. So was the bird in the bush (Young) better than what you could get with the scholarship in next year's class? I guess it depends on how good a recruiter Wojo is.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
Cutting Wally and going a man short does not seem to make a lot of sense to me. But I trust Wojo knows what he is doing.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Gotta say, I would have been intrigued by Wally and Cohen duking it out for minutes at the 4. If one of them took the next step (can still be Cohen), they would be serviceable in that slot and fit well with a team that should like to run. In fact, I actually like the prospect of Cohen filling out that 20-year old frame a little more in the offseason and perhaps getting a little more crafty around the rim. Obviously, not a prototypical 4, but he may surprise.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
Wojo and this program is a mess. You cut a kid like Wally who could contribute next year bc you are targeting two other PFs and you miss on both. Meanwhile you cut all ties with the Ellenson family after Hank had one of the most memorable frosh seasons in history. Very disappointing.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
Wojo and this program is a mess. You cut a kid like Wally who could contribute next year bc you are targeting two other PFs and you miss on both. Meanwhile you cut all ties with the Ellenson family after Hank had one of the most memorable frosh seasons in history. Very disappointing.

Just win baby?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
Just win baby?

Unfortunately we haven’t been doing enough WINNING lately. Season tickets are down, student interest is down, but HEY…Wojo is a really nice guy, plays by the rules etc etc and Lovell likes him…

Make mubb great again!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Unfortunately we haven’t been doing enough WINNING lately. Season tickets are down, student interest is down, but HEY…Wojo is a really nice guy, plays by the rules etc etc and Lovell likes him…

Make mubb great again!

Thanks Drumpf.

Considering where the program was when Wojo took over and what he's accomplished I'm more than comfortable saying in Wojo I trust. If he doesn't get a post season bid this next season then we need to start taking a more jaundiced look at things, but not before.

And the program is far from a mess....it's probably in the best shape from a culture, academic, and engagement prospective than it's been in 10 years. Assuming the talent grows as should be expected there are a lot of greats days ahead for the program.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
Thanks Drumpf.

Considering where the program was when Wojo took over and what he's accomplished I'm more than comfortable saying in Wojo I trust. If he doesn't get a post season bid this next season then we need to start taking a more jaundiced look at things, but not before.

And the program is far from a mess....it's probably in the best shape from a culture, academic, and engagement prospective than it's been in 10 years. Assuming the talent grows as should be expected there are a lot of greats days ahead for the program.

You've got a lot shorter drive eng.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »
You've got a lot shorter drive eng.

Very true, but I'm going to have a 1 year old to wrangle at the game so......samesies?

All kidding aside, do you feel the program is on an upward or downward trend? Your response would seem to imply that the value prop of the program is lower now than it has been in the past.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
Very true, but I'm going to have a 1 year old to wrangle at the game so......samesies?

All kidding aside, do you feel the program is on an upward or downward trend? Your response would seem to imply that the value prop of the program is lower now than it has been in the past.

There is much good about the current regime but unless it begins articulating in wins it is all masturbation.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
Filling a spot just to fill a spot is not a good decision IMO. Would say that in year three of a regime that really should be a thing of the past and not happening now. Obviously Wojo must feel very secure in his job and does not feel the need to sign guys he does not want.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »
There is much good about the current regime but unless it begins articulating in wins it is all masturbation.

I question Wojo's ability to recruit.  Yes he had a respectable class's the last two years but you knew that Henry might be a one and done player, so you had a year or
more to find a replacement and he did not.  Stan Johnson has done his job, but not sure about the other assistants.   MU will be a bubble NCAA team next year, they
should be fun to watch but might get murdered inside.  What is sad is that, they could not find somebody to fill a gaping hole so far.   They still have time, but the window is closing fast.

2017 will be a telling year as of now they have one big and that is it.  Lot's of playing time for anybody to see.  Need at least 2 bigs, maybe 3.  But one big has to be able to start right away at the 4 or 5.  I am still not a believer that Matt Heldt is the answer, prove me wrong big fella.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »

Last month, Wojo landed a stud guard who reclassified so he could play at Marquette immediately. You write nothing. Wojo misses out on an unheralded Canuck and you're writing the program is a mess. Clown.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »

Eng, I feel like the program is on an upward tick.  We're running cleaner and better program than a few years back.  I suppose the question is how much incline we're on because right now we are still at an 'entirely unacceptable' level.  If it's a 2 degree up bubble, that's not good enough.  We're headed to fewer than 10,000 season tickets this year I suspect.  And my hope is that it doesn't become like watching the Packers when they had no left tackle last year and I was screaming at the TV to get ARodg out before he ended up hurt.  It'll be like that this year if Luke gets hurt.  With one or two notable exceptions (NY tourney, beating Bucky), we haven't played meaningful basketball since Davidson/Butler.  Heck, I beat cancer since then.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
Wojo must feel very secure in his job and does not feel the need to sign guys he does not want.

Goose

I would much prefer he feels the need to sign the guys he does want.

I have a bad feeling about the next few years. A very bad feeling.

Death on call

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »

That's not why Wally was "cut", but sure.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »
That's not why Wally was "cut", but sure.

Really? Enlighten us.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »

Make mubb great again!

Tickets down across the nation, winning or not.

This is a university first, not a minor league pro sports franchise. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »

Do you know all the particulars on what went down?

Nope

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
What MU needs is a slump buster.  Is Mount Saint Mary available?

feedback