[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charles Matthews  (Read 47303 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
Yes, but you are comparing a mid-major conference to a major conference that gets multiple bids. The Big East should generally get 5 bids.

The Big East in 2006 got 8 bids.

You said you wondered if Gonzaga might have been better off in the NCAA Tournament had they played in a tougher conference, like the B1G.  Gonzaga has gotten a 1 seed which gives them a much easier path through the NCAA Tournament than if they played in the B1G and were middle of the pack and had to fight to get a 7 seed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »
Espn reporter Jeff Goodman. Scout Com--Evan Daniels confirmed the report with Matthews'
HS Coach Gary DeCesare

The point everyone is trying to make is that you were about 30 hours late reporting this, as it had already been announced and discussed in this thread.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »
The point everyone is trying to make is that you were about 30 hours late reporting this, as it had already been announced and discussed in this thread.
Earl gets credit for doing due diligence and giving a source.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »
I don't think George Mason would've been a NCAA Tournament team in 2006 had they been playing in the Big East, but they made the Final Four because they played in a weak conference, got in, and got hot at the right time.

Time to move to the Horizon, huh?

Got any reasons why George Mason wouldn't have made it from the Big East?  They were 27-8 overall and 15-3 in not too shaby a conference which made them regular season champs.  BTW, eight teams from the Big East made it that year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
The Big East in 2006 got 8 bids.

You said you wondered if Gonzaga might have been better off in the NCAA Tournament had they played in a tougher conference, like the B1G.  Gonzaga has gotten a 1 seed which gives them a much easier path through the NCAA Tournament than if they played in the B1G and were middle of the pack and had to fight to get a 7 seed.
There are a lot of Gonzaga teams that exited the NCAA tournament prior to what they should have based on their seed. A #1 seed is seen as a final four team and I do not think they made the elite 8. It is my belief that what hurts Gonzaga in the tournament is the level of their conference competition. Maybe playing in a power six conference their win total drops from 29 to 23 wins, but they still would of been in the NCAA tournament.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »
There are a lot of Gonzaga teams that exited the NCAA tournament prior to what they should have based on their seed. A #1 seed is seen as a final four team and I do not think they made the elite 8. It is my belief that what hurts Gonzaga in the tournament is the level of their conference competition. Maybe playing in a power six conference their win total drops from 29 to 23 wins, but they still would of been in the NCAA tournament.

It is my belief that year in and year out Gonzaga gets overrated so people think they can hang with the big boys but the reality is they just aren't that talented.  If they played in a top 4 conference I think they'd be a Pitt type team.  Have some really good years, and have some years where they don't make the Tournament.  As they are they can pretty much sleep walk to a top 5 seed every year unless they're really down.  Ironically, the year they were really down (this year) was the year they actually made a little run in the Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
Other argumenta for its better when good players we don't get go to other Big East teams are boosting recruiting by MU being more attractive to kids who want to play against the best, and increasing the number of Big East teams in the NCAA tourney with the resulting tourney shares for the conference.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2016, 08:17:53 AM »
Hey Earl.. I'm hearing rumors the Bucks and MU will be playing in a new arena downtown in a few years... any truth to this?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Hey Earl.. I'm hearing rumors the Bucks and MU will be playing in a new arena downtown in a few years... any truth to this?

Depends on how the votes throughout the state go and where the funds might come from.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2016, 05:40:34 AM »
anything changes in the mock draft projections?  i know i'm going to catch some chit here, but i have HE projected to go #18 to detroit, with the bucks passing him up and picking a 7' dude named maker at #10
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
Depends on how the votes throughout the state go and where the funds might come from.

wadesworld

• All American

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
I believe if Charles Matthews went to a school with a more normalized recruiting structure he would have had a very good freshman season and be poised for big things as a sophomore. Kids and families get caught up in being recruited by blue bloods but they need to understand there is risk as well. We should be all over this one .  He will give us a quality practice player and then fit right in when he eligible. I am very concerned about Haanif turned pro after next season.

ooops

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »
ooops

Athletic wing that is way over rated, very inconsistent, lucky to make the pros.  Coach Cal even makes mistakes on talent, he did there.  He is OK at Michigan but
not great, average player.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
I hope MU passes UM in the polls so I can start a “Matthews” thread wondering how he feels looking up at us in the polls!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2019, 12:36:16 PM »
Athletic wing that is way over rated, very inconsistent, lucky to make the pros.  Coach Cal even makes mistakes on talent, he did there.  He is OK at Michigan but
not great, average player.

He’s much more than average
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
What an odd thread bump
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
anything changes in the mock draft projections?  i know i'm going to catch some chit here, but i have HE projected to go #18 to detroit, with the bucks passing him up and picking a 7' dude named maker at #10

Well done, rocket.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
Well done, rocket.

Thanks buddy...ya wouldn’t wanna hear where where I got that from, but for many, he does know what he’s talking about.  So I’m not really opening up a draft website quite yet😁
don't...don't don't don't don't