[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Charles Matthews  (Read 47053 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
JB played 1 year of JC ,3 years of college and had NBA athleticism.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
not yet-ein'er?  i don't recall a dude named jimmy b. being NBA anything right up to the draft.  haanif had a really good freshman year.  probably the surprise of the class.  cheezus, he may not even be done growing.  i'm not saying he's a lock tol be an NBA'er, but with 3 more years of balling with the big boys, anything can happen.  just ask JB
Haanif can be an absolute stud. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had a long, productive NBA career based on a feasible trajectory.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
JB played 1 year of JC ,3 years of college and had NBA athleticism.

well, we can make that statement about a lot of basketball players.

tell me honestly what people were thinking pre-draft.  i don't think many thought he would even be chosen and would have to try to earn his way onto a team via the post draft free agent way.  jimmy had some intangibles that you couldn't measure.  if someone posted that jimmy was going to be an NBA super star, i need to see it.  don't get me wrong.  i'm proud as chit he's doing as well as he is as i continue to rib my daughter in law for turning down his repeated attempts to go out with her-before she met my son of course :P
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »

tell me honestly what people were thinking pre-draft.  i don't think many thought he would even be chosen and would have to try to earn his way onto a team via the post draft free agent way.  jimmy had some intangibles that you couldn't measure.  if someone posted that jimmy was going to be an NBA super star, i need to see it.  don't get me wrong.  i'm proud as chit he's doing as well as he is as i continue to rib my daughter in law for turning down his repeated attempts to go out with her-before she met my son of course :P

Jimmy Butler was projected at #33 in the last mock 2011 draft by Draft Express.  He was picked #30.

I think it was pretty well known that he would be drafted just before the draft started.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »

Jimmy Butler was projected at #33 in the last mock 2011 draft by Draft Express.  He was picked #30.

I think it was pretty well known that he would be drafted just before the draft started.

Agreed-I fully expected him to be drafted, and was only a bit surprised that he made it in the first round. The biggest surprise has been how dramatically he has improved since getting to the league.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
Back to Charles Matthews though, I know someone here mentioned Nojel Eastern, here's my scouting report on him. Has good basketball skills but is just not ready athletically, really slow, not very strong and doesn't really assert his will over smaller players like he should. Had a chance to talk to him and he's a really nice kid but just from an athletic stand point he will struggle at least his first year in college, Maybe 2.

Was thinking the MU / Nojel ship had started to sail away some time ago... a''ina? Always fluid situations, but...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

Nobody expected him to be a star but everyone that was paying attention expected him to be drafted end of first to middle of 2nd round.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »

Nobody expected him to be a star but everyone that was paying attention expected him to be drafted end of first to middle of 2nd round.

Ok ok, uncle, uncle...I missed the draft part. Back to my real point- I think haanif has some real potential, the tools and time on his side. If he has a good work ethic and I'm sure he does, he could end up being another Cinderella story
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
Haanif needs a better right hand, a far better mid-range game and a better handle.

All of those can be improved with hard work, and here's hoping he's doing that right now.

Even without those things, he was a good college player as a freshman. He's got a good first step, he's intelligent, he has a nice stroke from 3, he's a good finisher. Add those other things to his game and he can be an excellent college player.

Only after he adds those things and we see how good he has become can any of us make any kind of NBA projection. Without those improvements, he is only a little closer to the NBA than Ners.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Haanif needs a better right hand, a far better mid-range game and a better handle.

All of those can be improved with hard work, and here's hoping he's doing that right now.

Even without those things, he was a good college player as a freshman. He's got a good first step, he's intelligent, he has a nice stroke from 3, he's a good finisher. Add those other things to his game and he can be an excellent college player.

Only after he adds those things and we see how good he has become can any of us make any kind of NBA projection. Without those improvements, he is only a little closer to the NBA than Ners.
  I agree 100% percent about Hanif, unless he finds a mid-range jump shot, he will not improve.  It will not be as easy to get to the hoop this year without Henry out there, as the scouting report will advise the defensive player to get up on him on the three, stop that, then he will drive to the hoop but a big will waiting
this year for him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
I still think Haanif might find it a lot harder going this year without Henry. It is hard for me to equate how much Henry benefited other players, but I think he had a huge positive effect on their offensive play given his versatility and the ability to pass the ball. The other team always had to worry about Henry and him not being there has to have a huge effect.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
I still think Haanif might find it a lot harder going this year without Henry. It is hard for me to equate how much Henry benefited other players, but I think he had a huge positive effect on their offensive play given his versatility and the ability to pass the ball. The other team always had to worry about Henry and him not being there has to have a huge effect.

Yes and no. Certainly Henry drew some extra attention. But I imagine our driving lanes will be a little more spacious this year with the addition of 4 good outside shooters. Since Haanif's strength is his ability to drive, that will help. Offense is gonna look much different this year. At least I hope. I'm all for paint touches, but they were so forced last year. Hoping for a much more fluid offense this year.

Anyways, how about that Charles Matthews fella?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »
Yes and no. Certainly Henry drew some extra attention. But I imagine our driving lanes will be a little more spacious this year with the addition of 4 good outside shooters. Since Haanif's strength is his ability to drive, that will help. Offense is gonna look much different this year. At least I hope. I'm all for paint touches, but they were so forced last year. Hoping for a much more fluid offense this year.

Anyways, how about that Charles Matthews fella?
I would take him. I like transfers that have to sit. We get to 13 players and do not have to worry about finding playing time for 13th player.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 10:04:46 PM »
I would take him. I like transfers that have to sit. We get to 13 players and do not have to worry about finding playing time for 13th player.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
Charles was a good contributor last year to a stacked Kentucky team. Well maybe not stacked but they had so many good players on their team like Ulis, Murray, Labissiere, Briscoe and Poythress came back after sitting out a season because he tore his ACL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Visited Michigan last weekend.  Xavier this weekend.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 03:01:35 PM »
Hanny will average 15+ points per game this year, which is amazing for a soph. The kid can straight up play. Love his game. Him and JJ will lead the team in scoring, IMO.

Just win baby.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Visited Michigan last weekend.  Xavier this weekend.
We need him to visit MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
Or else?
Or else he will go to our rival. We want him on our team.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »

Does Wojo?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

Does Wojo?
Hopefully he and the staff are working this order hard. I am not sure why they would not want him. He has to sit a year and then we will have two guys graduate whose shoes he could step into.  Also we may lose another good guy to the pros. So yes I am sure they are on the list of suitors for this young man.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 05:40:36 PM »
Zero Marquette interest for Matthews. There's no way at least one tweet wouldn't have leaked out. The last tweet linking Marquette and Matthews was from February 2014. Not happening.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »

Pretty sure Michigan's not our rival.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback