[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Charles Matthews  (Read 47058 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
Screw the NBA.  It's terrible that they can take any talent they choose from college at any time.  The NBA is totally boring to watch.

Turn on TNT for the next 2 hours then come back here and say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »
Screw the NBA.  It's terrible that they can take any talent they choose from college at any time.  The NBA is totally boring to watch.

It's terrible that they can employ adults who are good at their profession?

Ironically I am watching the Warriors / Thunder game right now. Better basketball than any college game I've seen. I like college basketball but the NBA is far from boring.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

Anybody who truly believes the NBA playoffs are boring is not a basketball fan. The playoffs have been mostly terrific, and these are as good athletes as there are in the world.

Even regular-season NBA games are filled with amazing feats by spectacular athletes, creating a lot of compelling reasons to watch. The problem is that the season is too long.

I love college basketball, especially Marquette basketball. It is a great "experience," particularly when one is at a game in person and rooting for a team. The NBA is a superior product, which isn't too surprising given that the players are so superior.

As for the NBA being able to "take any talent they choose from college at any time," that's as silly a complaint as it is false.

ComEd can take any engineering student from college at any time, even if said student hasn't graduated. The Milwaukee Symphony can take any trombone student from college at any time. So what's your point?

And the NBA, as per its own rules, can't take a player until he has finished his freshman season. Which is different than "at any time."

Grow up. Or better yet, watch a Warriors-Thunder game and learn something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »
I watch a lot of college bball. I watch a ton of travel basketball. I watch some HS basketball.

I watch very little NBA basketball.

Shrug.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »
Anybody who truly believes the NBA playoffs are boring is not a basketball fan. The playoffs have been mostly terrific, and these are as good athletes as there are in the world.

Even regular-season NBA games are filled with amazing feats by spectacular athletes, creating a lot of compelling reasons to watch. The problem is that the season is too long.

I love college basketball, especially Marquette basketball. It is a great "experience," particularly when one is at a game in person and rooting for a team. The NBA is a superior product, which isn't too surprising given that the players are so superior.

As for the NBA being able to "take any talent they choose from college at any time," that's as silly a complaint as it is false.

ComEd can take any engineering student from college at any time, even if said student hasn't graduated. The Milwaukee Symphony can take any trombone student from college at any time. So what's your point?

And the NBA, as per its own rules, can't take a player until he has finished his freshman season. Which is different than "at any time."

Grow up. Or better yet, watch a Warriors-Thunder game and learn something.
Disagree.  You grow up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
In my opinion, this year's NBA Playoffs has been the worst it's been in a long time...and they've still been pretty awesome.  Last year's and the year before were both incredible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:49 AM »
after watching that GS-OKC game, 2 things

golden state may be running out of gas and OKC is hungry

NFL should be looking at draymond for his kicking abilities.  i think they are still in the locker room with steven adams trying to push his boys back down from his eyeballs-ouchie!

bonus, 3rd observation-green doesn't have to be such an annoying beach just because he was basically overlooked in the draft-settle down and let your play do your talking rather than your mouth.  act like ya been there.  alright alright, you're good, now shut up and play

i haven't watched this much NBA since marcus johnson and sidney moncrief had the bucks in contention
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2016, 06:51:12 AM »
Golden State's defense has been bad all playoffs.  They managed to outscore Portland, but the Thunder are too good. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Golden State's defense has been bad all playoffs.  They managed to outscore Portland, but the Thunder are too good.

Very good analysis. OKC's defense is better than many think, and their rebounding is outstanding. I also agree that the Warriors' tank might be running a little low, as rocket suggested.

I also think Billy Donovan has been the league's most underrated coach all season. He's done a fine job, and especially so in the playoffs. His refusal to "go small" just because the Warriors go small has helped set the tone of the series. He's saying, "I'll play the lineup I want, and you have to adjust to us!"

It results in some mismatches which can result in Curry and others getting open looks, but it usually shuts off the driving lanes and it helps the Thunder completely dominate the boards. GS can't run if it can't get the rebounds.

I have found myself rooting for OKC, and I imagine that will continue through the Finals if the Thunder can beat the Warriors. Even though I don't love it when their offense breaks down and results in Durant or Westbrook going 1-on-1, I like the team's scrappiness on D. I like the way their role players know what they are supposed to do. And, yes, Durant and Westbrook are extremely exciting players. It's hard to think of many equivalents to either of them in basketball history.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »

Their points allowed per 100 possessions was basically equal to last year before last night's game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
Their points allowed per 100 possessions was basically equal to last year before last night's game.

Here's my question. If they don't win the NBA finals does that make the 73 wins invalid? I'm not saying they cheated or anything like that but I wouldn't consider the NBA playoffs a crap shoot because it's 7 game series and it's not like Curry isn't playing this season.

I'll say it definitely diminishes the regular season results, just like the Mariners in 2001

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »
Back to Charles Matthews though, I know someone here mentioned Nojel Eastern, here's my scouting report on him. Has good basketball skills but is just not ready athletically, really slow, not very strong and doesn't really assert his will over smaller players like he should. Had a chance to talk to him and he's a really nice kid but just from an athletic stand point he will struggle at least his first year in college, Maybe 2.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Back to Charles Matthews though, I know someone here mentioned Nojel Eastern, here's my scouting report on him. Has good basketball skills but is just not ready athletically, really slow, not very strong and doesn't really assert his will over smaller players like he should. Had a chance to talk to him and he's a really nice kid but just from an athletic stand point he will struggle at least his first year in college, Maybe 2.
Thanks for reporting this. Nice that you got to speak with him. Sounds like  a good candidate for the weight room.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »

I also think Billy Donovan has been the league's most underrated coach all season.

Agreed. I think this is by far the biggest improvement in OKC. Brooks was a brutal NBA coach.

The 2nd factor are the bigs for OKC. Adams has become a better player than I thought - I figured he'd spend 10 years in the league getting 10-12 minutes a game. And, Kanter is a really good young player.

brandx

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
Haanif is very skilled, but like a lot of very good college players does not have NBA athleticsim. That makes him a four year player.

I disagree. I think he does have the athleticism. He just does not have a well-rounded game yet.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
I disagree. I think he does have the athleticism. He just does not have a well-rounded game yet.

Plus Tax

It there and it will come.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Here's my question. If they don't win the NBA finals does that make the 73 wins invalid? I'm not saying they cheated or anything like that but I wouldn't consider the NBA playoffs a crap shoot because it's 7 game series and it's not like Curry isn't playing this season.

I'll say it definitely diminishes the regular season results, just like the Mariners in 2001

I'm a big Warriors/Curry guy so I'm admittedly biased, but I don't think it invalidates it. OKC is a really good team. So is Cleveland.

Curry being out for 6 games I think messed with their rhythm a little bit. I don't think it diminishes anything they did in the regular season, although it probably ensures the 96 Bulls will still be seen (rightfully) as the best team of all time.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »

I dunno man, he looked soooo slow last time I saw him play. Got into early foul trouble because of it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
I dunno man, he looked soooo slow last time I saw him play. Got into early foul trouble because of it.

Haanif?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »
What team in their right mind would have done that.

Boston. They have 8 picks
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »

He's plenty quick and gets to the rim pretty easily, but his game is still very much below the rim. If he could drive while Fischer seals the lane off and throw down a dunk (we've seen this from JJ a few times), I would think he has the athleticism. However I remember him barely getting up for a dunk on a wide open fast break. Is dunking the be-all, end-all for athleticism? No, but NBA scouts certainly take leaping ability into account. Haanif is crafty enough to get in the lane and sneak his layups in over the college bigs, but I picture him getting swatted consistently against the trees in the NBA. I agree that his game isn't well-rounded enough at this stage, but athleticism is a part of that. Will be stunned if he leaves early for the NBA. Looking forward to 3 more years of HC as I think he will be a superstar upperclassman for us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
Haanif would not be considered an athletic NBA player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »

Agree.

I'd call Haanif a decent college athlete. He certainly isn't "explosive" or "outstanding" in that department. He can make up for it in other ways - quick first step, intelligence, craftiness, etc - and he already did a lot of that last year.

I see absolutely no reason why he can't be an all-conference level performer, maybe as soon as this season. But those thinking he already has one foot out the door to the NBA ... please.

brandx

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
Agree.

I'd call Haanif a decent college athlete. He certainly isn't "explosive" or "outstanding" in that department. He can make up for it in other ways - quick first step, intelligence, craftiness, etc - and he already did a lot of that last year.

I see absolutely no reason why he can't be an all-conference level performer, maybe as soon as this season. But those thinking he already has one foot out the door to the NBA ... please.

I agree. If he doesn't " go Vander" on us. He "should" be a four year guy.

His game has a long way to go to be NBA ready

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »

not yet-ein'er?  i don't recall a dude named jimmy b. being NBA anything right up to the draft.  haanif had a really good freshman year.  probably the surprise of the class.  cheezus, he may not even be done growing.  i'm not saying he's a lock tol be an NBA'er, but with 3 more years of balling with the big boys, anything can happen.  just ask JB
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback