'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What does missing on Kalif Young mean for MU?  (Read 5689 times)

PaintTouches

What does missing on Kalif Young mean for MU?

If you follow recruiting for a non-blue blood school, missing on a prospect is never a surprise. The fact of the matter is most of the targets will go elsewhere. Schools like MU, while clearly in the top-50 or so in terms of prestige, just don’t carry the weight to be selective with offers. They will […]

If you follow recruiting for a non-blue blood school, missing on a prospect is never a surprise. The fact of the matter is most of the targets will go elsewhere. Schools like MU, while clearly in the top-50 or so in terms of prestige, just don’t carry the weight to be selective with offers. They will cast a net of about 7-8 main prospects, and then 8-10 backup prospects, hoping to net 2 or 3 a year.

So when Marquette target Kalif Young, a 6-9 power forward from Canada, chose Providence over Marquette, it wasn’t some giant whiff by Wojo and company. It was a relative late-bloomer who hadn’t cracked the top-300 on most recruiting sites yet. In general terms, this was the type of recruiting failure that is a natural part of the process. You win some, you lose some, you get on to the next one.

But this particular miss is not your run-of-the-mill rejection.

For starters, it’s already May 18, fairly late in the calendar to start a new process. Summer school starts in a month in a half, and by now, almost all of the worthwhile high school recruits have signed to their respective schools.

Not to worry, you say, there are still endless possibilities in the transfer market, with close to 550 names on the list this year. True, but even there, the cream has been cropped. Marquette was a finalist for LG Gill, a grad transfer that would have slid into the empty PF spot rather nicely, but lost out there to Maryland. There are plenty of names, but filling a scholarship just for the heck of it is a good way to create locker room problems. You have to make sure the personalities match, playing time is expressly communicated and talent is a fit for your needs.

And that’t the biggest thing. Marquette has a gaping hole at the 4 for this year and beyond. Luke Fischer and Matt Heldt are strictly 5s, and there isn’t much size on the rest of the roster. That’s not to say playing 4 guard sets can’t be successful, heck Villanova just won a title doing just that, but it severely limits the style of play. You will have to be better than good from long distance, limit turnovers on the offensive end, and have players able to defend pretty much anyone on the other end as opponents look to create mismatches at all times.

Again, that is not to say Marquette can’t do it, simply that they will be forced to. Think back to the 2009-’10 season. Hayward and a bunch of midgets put up the 3rd best offense and defense of the last 8 years (using KenPom’s efficiency numbers). They made the tournament as a 6 seed and are generally considered the best coached team in the Buzz Williams era. But there was no margin for error. It took the 5th best 3-point shooting team in the country to do that.

Oh, and as high as I may be on Luke, he’s no Zar. Lazar as a senior was ahead of his time. The Draymond before Draymond was a thing. He could guard all 5 positions, play anywhere from point to center, handle the rock in transition, and hit treys at a 35% clip. Marquette will have to mimic this year’s Nova with Ochefu as the anchor, rather than any previous Marquette team.

But even taking all of this into account, the real reason this decision puts Marquette into such a bind is due to the Wally Ellenson situation. (Here are a couple recaps if you need a refresher.) Basically, it seems as if Wally was pushed out to make room for another, “better” player to be named later. Well, two other, “better” players have now passed on Marquette. Without Young or Gill in the fold and with options rather limited, it wouldn’t surprise me if Wally ended up on the roster, come fall.

We hadn’t heard much outside of Young and Gill, so I’m not sure what the next move is. It may be for a traditional transfer, who won’t provide assistance now but will be vital come next year when Fisch leaves the pond. It may be taking a flyer on a prospect like Kostas, who won’t make an impact for at least two or three years. It may be picking the best grad transfer now just for depth, and hoping a 2017 recruit like Theo John sees all of that playing time open up next year and sees himself jumping right in.

I don’t know. I don’t have any knowledge. I don’t claim otherwise. But from 500 miles away, repairing that bridge to Rice Lake and welcoming back a player the team knows and is comfortable with, someone who knows the system and won’t take time to adjust makes sense. Particularly when you are looking for a low possessions, high rebounding rate type player. You could do worse than nabbing an Olympic hopeful. You wouldn’t even need to change the media guide.

No matter what transpires, this is a setback both in the near and long term. Marquette will be fine in any case, but don’t think this one doesn’t hurt more than most.

Filed under: Analysis, Home, Recruiting Tagged: Carousel, Kalif Young, Maruqutte, Providence, Recruiting, Wally Ellenson
Source: What does missing on Kalif Young mean for MU?

bilsu

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What does missing on Kalif Young mean for MU?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »
The question I have is did Wojo pushing Wally out contribute to the two recruits deciding to go elsewhere? When the players are coming down to making their final decision does the fact that Wojo dropped a player lead the recruits to believing that Wojo does not have his players backs when push comes to shove? I sill think it was a bad move by Wojo and would of continued to believe this even if we got Young.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
The question I have is did Wojo pushing Wally out contribute to the two recruits deciding to go elsewhere? When the players are coming down to making their final decision does the fact that Wojo dropped a player lead the recruits to believing that Wojo does not have his players backs when push comes to shove? I sill think it was a bad move by Wojo and would of continued to believe this even if we got Young.

No.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »

"Dropping" Wally wasn't just about a roster space, so no it didn't make a difference with these recruits.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
"Dropping" Wally wasn't just about a roster space, so no it didn't make a difference with these recruits.

Bingo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

And that is why I'll be shocked if Wally ends up back on the team.  Sorry, PT.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Not all the shoes have necessarily dropped yet either. Both Kyle Washington and Austin Nichols declared their transfers relatively late last year (though Washington wasn't this late, but he didn't commit until July). There could be guys still on the move we don't know of yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »
Not all the shoes have necessarily dropped yet either. Both Kyle Washington and Austin Nichols declared their transfers relatively late last year (though Washington wasn't this late, but he didn't commit until July). There could be guys still on the move we don't know of yet.

I've been wondering if the the new NBA draft rules will lead to more late transfers as well. There's about 70ish kids have have declared but haven't hired an agent yet. I imagine that most of them will end up returning for another year of school. Some of them, especially quality players at mid majors might decide that they need to transfer to a program with more exposure in order to have a shot to get drafted next season. For example, Marc Eddy Norelia from Florida Gulf Coast would theoretically be grad transfer eligible were he to come back and transfer. Adding him to our current roster would take us from bubble team to top 6 seed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
I've been wondering if the the new NBA draft rules will lead to more late transfers as well. There's about 70ish kids have have declared but haven't hired an agent yet. I imagine that most of them will end up returning for another year of school. Some of them, especially quality players at mid majors might decide that they need to transfer to a program with more exposure in order to have a shot to get drafted next season. For example, Marc Eddy Norelia from Florida Gulf Coast would theoretically be grad transfer eligible were he to come back and transfer. Adding him to our current roster would take us from bubble team to top 6 seed.

I agree with this analysis
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »

Good thinkin' there young Tex.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
I agree that it is too early to judge here as the transfer carousel is not done spinning.  I will not be super positive though if we don't get another big body in for next season.  I don't feel super comfortable banking on Luke with all the fouling and injury issues and the Neenah Warrior to hold down those minutes.  If nothing else it would help having a transfer big just to ensure we can practice properly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »

So it's not too late to dream about Jaron Blossomgame?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
What does it mean?    More certainty in minutes distribution and roles.    More minutes for Heldt.    10 guys rotating through the 1-4 position.   Not having to have two styles of offense, one when Young was in the game at the 4, one when he wasn't.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »
What does it mean?    More certainty in minutes distribution and roles.    More minutes for Heldt.    10 guys rotating through the 1-4 position.   Not having to have two styles of offense, one when Young was in the game at the 4, one when he wasn't.

Should be good minutes for Sacar, Haanif, and Sandy at the 4

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
What I hope this means is that this team will actually press, when Fischer and Heldt are on the bench. It just may be that the best lineup is Haanif, JJJ, Reinhardt, Wilson and Carter or some other lineup with a Rowsey, Howard, Cohen or Howard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
When you have depth without great size, press.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »

Yus.

Perhaps Wojo cooled on Kalif, a''ina? "Sorry, _____ is comin after he pulls out (nh)"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:11 AM »
When you have depth without great size, press.

Yes and this team will be the first at MU to test the NBA idea of space and pace and if it can apply to the college game.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:39 AM »
Yus.

Perhaps Wojo cooled on Kalif, a''ina? "Sorry, _____ is comin after he pulls out (nh)"

Obligatory Grandstaff comment