[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kalif young to providence  (Read 16246 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Kalif young to providence
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
Villanova was not small. Their center out weighed Fischer by 45 pounds and at every position they were significantly stronger than MU.

We've done great in the past playing small in 2008, 2009 we were super small, 2010 we were super small, in 2011 we only had one player who was truly large, in 2012 we were smaller than now.

Not expecting lazar Jimmy or Jae to walk through the door but as Chicos says it's a guards game.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
The tweet right after was a picture of Young crystal ball which was 100% for MU. I think that's what the laughter was aimed at. Does Jay Bee control the AE twitter account?

Did Jerry Meyer do one of his "___ to ____. Cristal bowel had it at 100%" type tweets on Young yet?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
No, another (occasional) poster/lurker on the board does.

Sorry shoulda used teal
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
Ya win some, Ya lose some.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »
But wait, we have heard it here that Wojo  always gets his man.

No we haven't.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
Sorry shoulda used teal

No, you shouldn't, I got what you were doing....my response was more for the less nuanced poster that maybe went after Jay Bee :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Villanova was not small. Their center out weighed Fischer by 45 pounds and at every position they were significantly stronger than MU.

And next year Marquette takes a big step up from being what? the 8th youngest team in Division I?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
Villanova at least had one banger/lane protector in Ochefu on the floor, not to mention a coach who has coached that way for a long time and built his roster accordingly.  I like Luke and he is a nice low post offensive option, but he is hardly a rim protector or a beast on the boards, and who knows if Heldt is even good enough to get minutes?  So what I worry about is who is going to protect the lane and where are the rebounds going to come from?   

Luke's rebounding does need work, but I disagree about him not protecting the rim.  He can be effective doing that. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Style of play will change, but that was likely to happen whether Young or Wally were on the roster. We're going to have to crash the boards with the whole team a lot more meaning less runouts and transition buckets. Also, Sacar will have to step up
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
Luke's rebounding does need work, but I disagree about him not protecting the rim.  He can be effective doing that.

I just think he fouls too much to be an effective rim protector. 

I hope you turn out to be right.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »
Last year, we looked like a good high school team playing against men.  Our players need to beef up to compete in the BE.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Well, obviously all Wojo is going to have to do is institute a "3 Point/No Misses" offense and the lack of rebounding will take care of itself.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I just think he fouls too much to be an effective rim protector. 

I hope you turn out to be right.

I can think back to some dumb and early fouls...

..but, really.. the numbers don't tell me this to be true.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »
Bentil confirms he's staying in the NBA draft

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
In the short run it hurts Providence and the Big East to lose a quality player. In the medium and long term it will be very helpful if he is a first round draft choice and sticks in the league with some successful years.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »
I can think back to some dumb and early fouls...

..but, really.. the numbers don't tell me this to be true.
plus, and i could be totally off my rocker or just remembering the fouls that irked me, but IIRC weren't the games when he got in foul trouble the games where he picked up 2/3 fouls getting caught out of position after having to help on the perimeter?  Therefore a more experienced and deeper perimeter will have him in position more, avoiding those fouls, and able to play more aggressively in his position.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »

Mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I always want to keep talented players in the Big East. On the other hand, I think there are about 8 teams in the Big East who are good enough to make the  tournament next season. Bentil leaving drops Providence to the bottom of that list. Gotta be in top 6 to make the dance.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
Biggish picture: Bentil leaving weakens the Big East overall somewhat.

Main picture I care about: Glad we won't have to deal with Bentil twice this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
Mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I always want to keep talented players in the Big East. On the other hand, I think there are about 8 teams in the Big East who are good enough to make the  tournament next season. Bentil leaving drops Providence to the bottom of that list. Gotta be in top 6 to make the dance.
Big East will get four bids.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »

The next time the Big East gets 4 (or fewer) bids will be the first.  I'll take the over on that.  More likely to get 7 than we are to get 4.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
The next time the Big East gets 4 (or fewer) bids will be the first.  I'll take the over on that.  More likely to get 7 than we are to get 4.

Depaul,  St. Johns,  Providence, no chance, then there is group that will make it, X and Villy, and Hall will make it.  That leaves 4 teams in the middle, all have issues.
Creighton might be the best of this group, with MU, Butler, and GTown all have a chance.  Conference will be good and challenging.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »

You obviously are just gut reacting. There is no way the Big East gets four. X, Nova, and Hall are locks. Butler will be about the same level this year and they made the tourney last season. Marquette, Creighton, Georgetown will all improve significantly. Only Providence will drop significantly.

Look at the landscape of college basketball. Most of the top teams are losing a TON of talent. The Big East, not as much.
TAMU

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
What I am intrigued about is that Wojo is building the team he wants to run the kind of game he wants and to coach the way he wants.

We have a guard based team, no doubt, and with the exception of Fishy and Heldt, no one over 6'6". There's some depth this year which allows us to rotate people in and out of our line-up more effectively than ever before -- or at least since the H'billy left.

I actually think next year will tell a lot about our future. The challenges are:

1) Can JJJ step up and shoot, block out and, yes, rebound?
   2) How deep will we really go next year?
   3) Will Hannif step-up and be the team leader. It may be a lot to ask, but it is something needed.

We'll see but I think this is a potentially exciting team and I like the thought one poster already made that we could run our opponents out of the gym!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
What I am intrigued about is that Wojo is building the team he wants to run the kind of game he wants and to coach the way he wants.

We have a guard based team, no doubt, and with the exception of Fishy and Heldt, no one over 6'6". There's some depth this year which allows us to rotate people in and out of our line-up more effectively than ever before -- or at least since the H'billy left.

I actually think next year will tell a lot about our future. The challenges are:

1) Can JJJ step up and shoot, block out and, yes, rebound?
   2) How deep will we really go next year?
   3) Will Hannif step-up and be the team leader. It may be a lot to ask, but it is something needed.

We'll see but I think this is a potentially exciting team and I like the thought one poster already made that we could run our opponents out of the gym!

Truth. My only concern is Luke is the only rock inside. If he has an off day we are living/dying with jump shooting and 3's. (Granted JJJ and Hani, and I guess even the Engine showed some good slashing last year)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
Truth. My only concern is Luke is the only rock inside. If he has an off day we are living/dying with jump shooting and 3's. (Granted JJJ and Hani, and I guess even the Engine showed some good slashing last year)

Bottom line -- our defense is going to have to take the pressure off Big Fishy. If it does not, Big Fishy and the  bench will know each other better than an old married couple.

Last year, Big Fishy got in foul trouble because he was the last line in a porous defense.