[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2016 Minutes  (Read 8853 times)

tower912

• All American
2016 Minutes
« on: May 14, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »
For now, I am assuming that MU is not getting Young.   Heldt and Luke share minutes at the 5.   then you have 10 players for 160 minutes at 4 different positions.    Ouch.   So many redundant players, skill sets, and sizes. 
1.   Carter, Rowsey, Howard.    Rowsey is more of a 2 (albeit at 5'10).   
2.  Duane, Haanif, Rowsey
3.  Haanif, JJJ, Reihnahrt,
4. Reinhart, Sandy, Hauser

IMO, starters 1-4 will be Carter, Haanif, JJJ, and Reinhart.   I don't expect a ton of minutes for Hauser or Howard.   Shooters off of the bench.   But lots of competition.    I expect that there could be a return to the Deane years in the sense that if you blow a defensive assignment or don't hustle, you will be pulled.   I hope that Wojo extends the pressure and shuffles them in and out to keep them fresh.   I can dream about a 'Havoc' style defense, can't I?  I am not going to try to predict exact minutes.  Fool's errand.    Should be interesting to watch.   And I think the rotation will be constantly evolving based on production.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2016 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:29:27 PM »
1) Carter, Howard, Rowsey, Duane
2) Cheatham, Rowsey, Howard, Duane
3) JJJ, Cheatham, Reinhardt, Hauser
4) Reinhardt, JJJ, Sandy, Sacar, Hauser
5) Luke, Heldt, JJJ/Sandy/Sacar

Luke - 26
Heldt - 5
Cheatham - 25
Carter - 21
Howard - 15
Rowsey - 21
JJJ - 25
Reinhardt - 22
Sacar - 8
Sandy - 11
Duane - 15
Hauser - 5
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:49 PM »
1) Carter, Howard, Rowsey, Duane
2) Cheatham, Rowsey, Howard, Duane
3) JJJ, Cheatham, Reinhardt, Hauser
4) Reinhardt, JJJ, Sandy, Sacar, Hauser
5) Luke, Heldt, JJJ/Sandy/Sacar

Luke - 26
Heldt - 5
Cheatham - 25
Carter - 21
Howard - 15
Rowsey - 21
JJJ - 25
Reinhardt - 22
Sacar - 8
Sandy - 11
Duane - 15
Hauser - 5

Since e have no power forward I would be surprised if we play 9 minutes per game with no center.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »
Is there any news on Young?

If we get Young, Heldt will certainly play more than 5 min.

If we don't get Young, Heldt will play a lot more than 5 min.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »
Since e have no power forward I would be surprised if we play 9 minutes per game with no center.

Last year in at least both games in NYC there were times where our lineup was Duane, Cheatham, JJJ, Carter, and Sandy. I think we'll see lineups with no centers in most games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
I don't expect a ton of minutes for Hauser or Howard.

You are not understanding that which you will understand.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:15 PM »
You are not understanding that which you will understand.

He's that good?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »
I think everyone is severely understating the amount of minutes Duane will get.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
Is there any news on Young?

Visiting Providence this weekend. Will decide between MU and PC sometime next week.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 11:55:52 PM »
Very rough estimates:

Fischer 30 minutes
Johnson 26 minutes
Reinhardt 26 minutes
Cheatham 22 minutes
Rowsey 19 minutes
Wilson 19 minutes
Howard 18 minutes
Carter 18 minutes
Cohen 12 minutes
Heldt 10 minutes

Spot minutes for Hauser and Anim.
TAMU

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:20:09 AM »
Very rough estimates:

Fischer 30 minutes
Johnson 26 minutes
Reinhardt 26 minutes
Cheatham 22 minutes
Rowsey 19 minutes
Wilson 19 minutes
Howard 18 minutes
Carter 18 minutes
Cohen 12 minutes
Heldt 10 minutes

Spot minutes for Hauser and Anim.

Bump Cheatham and Traci and drop Sandy, Howard and Rowsey.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 01:15:51 AM »
This thread is the definition of an exercise in futility. Especially at this time of the year...enjoy the changing seasons...go outside

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 01:17:31 AM »

From everything I've heard, Rowsey would have been our best point guard this season. I'm not as sure about Howard, but Jay Bee usually doesn't get this hard for recruits who won't make an immediate impact. Sandy I get, but he's one of the only guys who has a prayer of defending the four position. I don't think you can afford to give him less minutes than that.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:33:59 AM »
Last year's Big East minutes
Gone Henry 35.7 and Wally 7.3
1,2 & 3 Cheatham 31.9, Wilson 28.1, JJJ 25.2, Carter 23.8, Cohen 21.2
That equals 120.2 minutes out of 120 minutes. Basically 100% returning.
Additions Rowsey & Howard
Center  Fischer 28.1 and Heldt 4.8 33.9 out 40 returning.
Power forward Anim 3.7 out of 40.
Reinhardt & Hauser (no room at 3 for them)
Possible addition Young would probably be #3 center & #3 4, but I will leave him out for now.
Fischer and Carter's minutes were limited last year by fouls(mostly stupid fouls). I will project that it will be harder for Fischer to stay out of foul trouble this year without Ellenson and there is also a question about his health. I will predict that Carter will be less foul prone.
Heldt missed several games at end of season with a knee(?) injury, so both of our centers could have health questions.
Center Luke 30, Heldt 10=40 We really need Young here.
Power forward Reinhardt 18, Hauser 12, Cohen 8, Anim 2=40
2/3 Cheatham 30, JJJ 25, Wilson 25 =80
PG Carter 25, Rowsey 10, Howard 5=40

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
From everything I've heard, Rowsey would have been our best point guard this season. I'm not as sure about Howard, but Jay Bee usually doesn't get this hard for recruits who won't make an immediate impact. Sandy I get, but he's one of the only guys who has a prayer of defending the four position. I don't think you can afford to give him less minutes than that.

+1

Rowsey was by far the best player on the UNC Asheville team from the time he stepped on campus that's why he earned league wide honors each of his two years and was able to generate serious interest when he decided to transfer.  Yet, many scoopers seem to feel that he just can't be a true point guard because he was such a prolific scorer.  I'm open to the argument that he's really a two guard, but I haven't read anything here on scoop to indicate that he isn't, except that evidently it's been so long since MU had a point capable of scoring in bunches that many believe that there just can't be such a player. 

Given his two years of admittedly lower level Division I experience leading a team from the point and a year practicing with Marquette, I don't see how Howard, a true freshman who didn't play point on his prep team last year will be able to overtake Rowsey, as a point guard.  Howard will see significant time on the court, however, because his shooting ability will demand it.  With regard to Villanova, Wojo's decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:05:50 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
This thread is the definition of an exercise in futility. Especially at this time of the year...enjoy the changing seasons...go outside

Like the players, Scoopers must work out in the off season to stay in Division I posting shape.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »

In a thread of speculation, I am certain of one thing:

Luke Fischer is the only player likely to play more minutes than Haniif Cheatham.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 10:20:54 AM »
Rowsey was by far the best player on the UNC Asheville team from the time he stepped on campus

You're telling me that Rowsey was "by far" the best player from the time he stepped on campus.. but when I look at 2013-14, I see Jaron Lane and DJ Cunningham (min-adj'd) having been better. I fail to see how you can make this claim looking at the facts.

Rowsey is intriguing to me. Really hoping for the best. But, to through out some fair thoughts.. look at his size... and his game. Much of his success has been his ability to draw contact and get to the line... can he continue to do so with college basketball's rules today and in the BEast?

I think you also need to look at how Rowsey competing against non-crap competition.
As a Soph, overall:
111.3 ORtg, 49.6% eFG, 36.6% FTRate
As a Soph, vs. top 100 adj KenPom comp [8 Games]:
93.4%, 43.4%, 23.2%

And, btw.. the 8 top 100 games weren't against great teams.. had a terrific outing vs. the top of the bunch - South Carolina - take out that game and it looks a lot worse.. the other 7: Coastal Carolina x2, Radford, Wake Forest, UAB, High Point, Winthrop

Now, going back to your "he was the man from day 1"... again, that's not true. He was the man in year 2, but not his freshman year. So.. what happened to his shooting... when as a freshman he had more support... vs. as a sophomore when he was the guy?

2-point shooting: FR 45.9%, SO 40.1%
3-point shooting: FR 41.2%, SO 37.1%
eFG%: FR 54.6%, SO 49.6%

These are not insignificant decreases. His 49.6% eFG% at UNC Asheville... compare that to some of last year's Warriors.. Duane Wilson.. 51.5%.. JjJ 56.2%.. Haanif.. 54.3%.. Sandy 53.1%..

So, we can say he's a shooter.. and say he was the man at Asheville.. but a brief look at the numbers and you may start to take on a different view.

Now, all that said, I'm hopeful and struggle to project him. He's a fourth-year college student... can he makes some significant positive contributions in 2016-17? Sure hope so... but, I don't share your view that he brings with him an amazing resume that can't be denied.

Quote from: Crean to Ann Arbor
Given his two years of admittedly lower level Division I experience leading a team from the point, I don't see how Howard, a true freshman who didn't play point on his prep team last year will be able to overtake Rowsey, as a point guard.

I believe the reason you don't see Howard for who he is has much to do with you not seeing him play before, his age, unfamiliarity with his #'s in travel and USA BBall, etc. Howard's success year one will have to do with his shooting. If he strokes it like he can, goodnight. Get ready to drool.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
Last year's Big East minutes
Gone Henry 35.7 and Wally 7.3
1,2 & 3 Cheatham 31.9, Wilson 28.1, JJJ 25.2, Carter 23.8, Cohen 21.2
That equals 120.2 minutes out of 120 minutes. Basically 100% returning.
Additions Rowsey & Howard
Center  Fischer 28.1 and Heldt 4.8 33.9 out 40 returning.
Power forward Anim 3.7 out of 40.
Reinhardt & Hauser (no room at 3 for them)
Possible addition Young would probably be #3 center & #3 4, but I will leave him out for now.
Fischer and Carter's minutes were limited last year by fouls(mostly stupid fouls). I will project that it will be harder for Fischer to stay out of foul trouble this year without Ellenson and there is also a question about his health. I will predict that Carter will be less foul prone.
Heldt missed several games at end of season with a knee(?) injury, so both of our centers could have health questions.
Center Luke 30, Heldt 10=40 We really need Young here.
Power forward Reinhardt 18, Hauser 12, Cohen 8, Anim 2=40
2/3 Cheatham 30, JJJ 25, Wilson 25 =80
PG Carter 25, Rowsey 10, Howard 5=40

Howard at 5 min? LMaO
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

It absolutely is, but it gives us something to talk about.

My main problem is looking at guys as being "worthy" of certain minutes then realizing those minutes likely don't exist.

I can see the following...

Luke 32 mpg
Heldt 10 mpg
Sandy 18 mpg
Reinhardt 26 mpg
Anim 10 mpg
Hauser 10 mpg
Jajuan 26 mpg
Cheatham 28 mpg
Duane 26 mpg
Carter 22 mpg
Rowsey 20 mpg
Howard 20 mpg

Granted, this doesn't include if we add Young or another big, but the problem with my numbers is this already comes out to 248 minutes per game and unless we play a lot of overtime, we don't have that much time to go around. I think there will be a lot of contention for minutes and hope it's a good thing, because I may have undersold what some of these guys (Heldt, Anim, Hauser, Howard) are capable of giving. And of course, Young could be in for another 12-15 mpg if he's ready as a freshman.

Are we ready for 2-3 overtime games on a nightly basis?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
I think the challenge is going to be finding the 8 man rotation that is most effective.  They may have to go to a 10 man rotation given the experience levels.

The key player for the year will be Matt Heldt. We need him to progress to where he can give us quality offensive and defensive minutes as a substitute for Luke. If he is able to achieve that , our depth will be a huge asset and enable us to have many different rotations depending on matchups.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
All of this speculation assumes the best case scenario: that our entire current roster remains intact for the entire season.

In addition to the many unanswerable questions — is Heldt good enough to spell Luke on a regular basis? Will Jajuan continue the improvement he showed at the end of last season? Are Howard and Hauser ready for Big East play? Can Sandy and Duane step up? How will Reinhardt and Rowsey gel with the returning rotation? — there's another critically important one:

Injuries.

Marquette was very fortunate this past year, suffering virtually no major injuries on the entire roster. But we've seen them in the past. Duane missed his entire freshman year. Luke has had shoulder issues. Henry scared the hell out of everyone when he twisted his ankle. Matt missed games.

Who knows what we'll face this season? We could lose a starter or key rotation player at any time. Add in the possibility of a suspension or mid-semester transfer, and this discussion feels increasingly detached from reality.

Then again, it's the off-season and we need something to talk about. Carry on.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »
All of this speculation assumes the best case scenario: that our entire current roster remains intact for the entire season.

The big one for me is Luke (nh). Especially if we don't bring in another PF/C who can play the 5 if needed, if Luke is out for extended time, we're in a lot of trouble inside.

I think there are a lot of solid options 1 to 3, and if playing small, 4... but, Luke.. that's the guy you really want to see stay healthy above all else.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
The big one for me is Luke (nh). Especially if we don't bring in another PF/C who can play the 5 if needed, if Luke is out for extended time, we're in a lot of trouble inside.

I think there are a lot of solid options 1 to 3, and if playing small, 4... but, Luke.. that's the guy you really want to see stay healthy above all else.

Agreed. We have more depth than I've seen in a long time — except at the 5. But an injury at any other position could have a dramatic impact on who gets playing time (and how much).

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
Before critiquing another of my posts, please consider Boon's advice to Otter in the following clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

You're telling me that Rowsey was "by far" the best player from the time he stepped on campus.. but when I look at 2013-14, I see Jaron Lane and DJ Cunningham (min-adj'd) having been better. I fail to see how you can make this claim looking at the facts.

Rowsey is intriguing to me. Really hoping for the best. But, to through out some fair thoughts.. look at his size... and his game. Much of his success has been his ability to draw contact and get to the line... can he continue to do so with college basketball's rules today and in the BEast?

I think you also need to look at how Rowsey competing against non-crap competition.
As a Soph, overall:
111.3 ORtg, 49.6% eFG, 36.6% FTRate
As a Soph, vs. top 100 adj KenPom comp [8 Games]:
93.4%, 43.4%, 23.2%

And, btw.. the 8 top 100 games weren't against great teams.. had a terrific outing vs. the top of the bunch - South Carolina - take out that game and it looks a lot worse.. the other 7: Coastal Carolina x2, Radford, Wake Forest, UAB, High Point, Winthrop

Now, going back to your "he was the man from day 1"... again, that's not true. He was the man in year 2, but not his freshman year. So.. what happened to his shooting... when as a freshman he had more support... vs. as a sophomore when he was the guy?

2-point shooting: FR 45.9%, SO 40.1%
3-point shooting: FR 41.2%, SO 37.1%
eFG%: FR 54.6%, SO 49.6%

These are not insignificant decreases. His 49.6% eFG% at UNC Asheville... compare that to some of last year's Warriors.. Duane Wilson.. 51.5%.. JjJ 56.2%.. Haanif.. 54.3%.. Sandy 53.1%..

So, we can say he's a shooter.. and say he was the man at Asheville.. but a brief look at the numbers and you may start to take on a different view.

Now, all that said, I'm hopeful and struggle to project him. He's a fourth-year college student... can he makes some significant positive contributions in 2016-17? Sure hope so... but, I don't share your view that he brings with him an amazing resume that can't be denied.

I was basing my evaluation of Rowsey as the best player on UNC Asheville his freshman year on the fact that he was first team All Big South as a freshman while Lane and Cunningham were second team All Big South that year.  You, obviously, went more in depth.

http://big-south.s3.amazonaws.com/medias/files/11298/original.pdf?1418781952

I would think that with the rule changes effective last year, Rowsey should be more likely than before to draw contact and get to the line.  I would be more concerned about how the rule changes might affect him on defense.

I believe next year, Rowsey will be much closer to the situation he was in as a freshman at UNC Asheville where opposing defenses had two other strong players to concentrate on then the situation he was in as a sophomore where he had to be the go to guy .  So right or wrong, I'm not too worried about the drop in his production as a sophomore.  I think that he will excel as a complementary threat in the offense.

I believe the reason you don't see Howard for who he is has much to do with you not seeing him play before, his age, unfamiliarity with his #'s in travel and USA BBall, etc. Howard's success year one will have to do with his shooting. If he strokes it like he can, goodnight. Get ready to drool.

You are right about the fact that I have not seen Howard play in person.  I'm still not sure that Wojo will play him at the point as a freshman, given the other options MU will have there.  I am totally in agreement with your evaluation of his ability to contribute right away with his shooting.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:49:56 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:37 PM »

AND out of foul trouble.  Luke needs to do 2 things much better this year.  1) Rebound. 2) Avoid silly fouls.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:15 PM »
It absolutely is, but it gives us something to talk about.

My main problem is looking at guys as being "worthy" of certain minutes then realizing those minutes likely don't exist.

I can see the following...

Luke 32 mpg
Heldt 10 mpg
Sandy 18 mpg
Reinhardt 26 mpg
Anim 10 mpg
Hauser 10 mpg
Jajuan 26 mpg
Cheatham 28 mpg
Duane 26 mpg
Carter 22 mpg
Rowsey 20 mpg
Howard 20 mpg

Granted, this doesn't include if we add Young or another big, but the problem with my numbers is this already comes out to 248 minutes per game and unless we play a lot of overtime, we don't have that much time to go around. I think there will be a lot of contention for minutes and hope it's a good thing, because I may have undersold what some of these guys (Heldt, Anim, Hauser, Howard) are capable of giving. And of course, Young could be in for another 12-15 mpg if he's ready as a freshman.

Are we ready for 2-3 overtime games on a nightly basis?

Brew, what you need to count on in individual games is DNP-CDs.  I think it too early to tell who the most likely candidates are.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »
Agreed. We have more depth than I've seen in a long time — except at the 5. But an injury at any other position could have a dramatic impact on who gets playing time (and how much).

On the positive side, at least we have A five, and won't be counting on a Lazar or Jae to play it with a significant size disadvantage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
How long till we play Vandy?

Oh, only about 804 Scoop speculation threads away.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Slim

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »
I agree, Glow. Luke's propensity to foul is aggravating.  Now that he has to be THE rebounder, his fouls are more likely to be hustle,  over-the-back, illegal box out fouls. I think 30 minutes a game for him is pie in the sky. I hope for Young, but till then, I expect more minutes from Matt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
I agree, Glow. Luke's propensity to foul is aggravating.  Now that he has to be THE rebounder, his fouls are more likely to be hustle,  over-the-back, illegal box out fouls. I think 30 minutes a game for him is pie in the sky. I hope for Young, but till then, I expect more minutes from Matt.

Luke averaged 28.2 mpg last season and 29.3 mpg the season before. I don't think him ending up with 30 in his senior season is a huge stretch.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
Luke averaged 28.2 mpg last season and 29.3 mpg the season before. I don't think him ending up with 30 in his senior season is a huge stretch.

We need 30 minutes from him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Brew, what you need to count on in individual games is DNP-CDs.  I think it too early to tell who the most likely candidates are.

What I more hoped to illustrate is that I'm hoping we have more talent than we have minutes to give. If that's the case, it should bring out the best in the guys we do have and the ones that earn minutes will have to work that much harder to get them.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 07:10:24 AM »
What I more hoped to illustrate is that I'm hoping we have more talent than we have minutes to give. If that's the case, it should bring out the best in the guys we do have and the ones that earn minutes will have to work that much harder to get them.
I agree with this, but as I do my allocation of minutes I tend to ignore the likely premise that in the end 9 guys are going to play and the remaining 4 no matter how good are not going to play. The bottom 4 get to play when there are injuries, foul trouble or blowouts. We probably will not be blowing out any Big East teams. Right now it is hard to pick the bottom 4 (bottom 3 since we have 12 players). I would guess Anim, Cohen or Hauser, and Rowsey or Howard. I am not a fan of under 6' guards and see no way they both play significant minutes. It is hard to pick the bottom 3, so I think that proves you are right that there is more talent than minutes. I do remember Buzz saying one year that having very little talent difference between the starters and second team was a two edge sword. That was an interesting comment. However, all you have to do is look at Kentucky two years ago, where Callipari tried to play platoons and actually managed to lose a game by trying to use everybody.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »
However, all you have to do is look at Kentucky two years ago, where Callipari tried to play platoons and actually managed to lose a game by trying to use everybody.

A 9-man or 10-man rotation is almost unprecedented in college basketball. For most teams, only 7 or 8 players log regular minutes (at least 8-10 mpg) while appearing in 30+ games.

The exception you mentioned is an interesting one. The 2014-15 Kentucky Wildcats were a super team. Nine players appeared in 36 or more games, averaging between 10.9 and 25.9 mpg. Karl Anthony-Towns played just 21.1 minutes a game — and went #1 overall in the NBA draft.

What really gets my attention is comparing that to top NBA teams. Nine players on last year's Golden State Warrior roster played in at least 66 games, averaging between 14.9 and 32.7 mpg. For the San Antonio Spurs this season, 10 players appeared in at least 58 games and averaged between 16.0 and 33.1 mpg.

The comparison has its limits. The pro game is 20% longer than college ball (48 minutes per game vs. 40 minutes) and the pace is faster (24-second shot clock vs. 30 seconds). And the season is more than twice as long (meaning injuries are a bigger concern).

With that in mind, the college game is getting faster (shorter shot clock), more athletic, more like the NBA game. Calipari is college basketball's most NBA-like coach — it should come as no surprise that he builds and manages rosters in a similar way.

Does that mean Wojo or other coaches will follow suit? Coach K's rotation last year was just 7 players. Nova went 8 deep. But Xavier played a legitimate 9-man rotation (10 if you count Sean O'Mara, who averaged just 7 mpg in 32 games).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
A 9-man or 10-man rotation is almost unprecedented in college basketball. For most teams, only 7 or 8 players log regular minutes (at least 8-10 mpg) while appearing in 30+ games.

This is false. Look at the B1G... I4, Purdue, Becky, Neb all over your more than 8 w 8... Others just miss due to injuries & suspensions.. MSU with rounding gets there, Maryland gets there w/a 28 game guy, Iowa w/a 27, Illinois up to 10 w/a 29 & 28

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
This is false. Look at the B1G... I4, Purdue, Becky, Neb all over your more than 8 w 8... Others just miss due to injuries & suspensions.. MSU with rounding gets there, Maryland gets there w/a 28 game guy, Iowa w/a 27, Illinois up to 10 w/a 29 & 28

I stand corrected. You're right, 9-man regular rotations are by no means "almost unprecedented."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
Hey, I was right to predict Young wasn't coming.    Back to the minute for players who will actually be at MU.