[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Chew to Texas A&M  (Read 9426 times)

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
Chew to Texas A&M
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »
virginia-tech-basketball-loses-assistant-coach-isaac-chew-to-texas-am

Benny B

• All American
Re: Chew to Texas A&M
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
Oh man... is there some sweet, sweet, delicious irony here, folks.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
Sounds like it was amicable. I wish him well like all Alumni.

We have Stan Johnson now and he delivered Markus Howard and Beetle Bailey. So I am happy with our current assistant coaching group. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »
'til Stan get da Wojo heave ho, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 06:46:59 PM »
Scott Monarch and a tee shirt to VigTech

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Scott Monarch and a tee shirt to VigTech

Wicked
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
HokieScoop no doubt is calling this Armageddon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »
Sounds like it was amicable. I wish him well like all Alumni.

We have Stan Johnson now and he delivered Markus Howard and Beetle Bailey. So I am happy with our current assistant coaching group.

The guy who stayed behind at Marquette so that someone could legally stay in contact with Buzz's freshman recruits until they were given releases, then landed at VT later?  Me?  Not so much.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:48:58 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
The guy who stayed behind at Marquette so that someone could legally stay in contact with Buzz's freshman recruits until they were given releases, then landed at VT later?  Me?  Not so much.

Exactly. F#ck that guy

Death on call

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »

Is this true? I don't think he stayed at MU any longer than any other assistant. I thought he wasn't officially named a VPI coach until the last minute so he didn't have any recruiting restrictions.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Chew was hired by VT in mid-April of 2014 (Buzz was hired in mid-March).  Is it conceivable that Chew was unofficially steering the Marquette recruiting class (Cohen, Pierce, Shayok, Hill, Noskowiak) to VT?  It's possible, but at the end of the day, would we have wanted players that did not fit the culture and system of the new head coach (eventually Wojo)?  Also, would it be fair to the kids who signed up to play for Buzz, Autry, Wainwight, Chew and McNeily to play for a completely new staff (and probably wanted their "own" guys)? 

In the end, everything worked out for the best for everyone. 

The most important recollection I have from that ordeal is that Jerry Wainwright, knowing full well he would not be retained by the new staff, chose to stay behind for our current kids and ensure that they would have someone to lean on for support and guidance during these uncertain times.  Coach Wainwright - class act. 

Interesting move for Chew.  He worked for Kennedy at Murray State a few years back, so there's familiarity there.  Coach Chew has never stayed at one school for longer than three years. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »
Is this true? I don't think he stayed at MU any longer than any other assistant. I thought he wasn't officially named a VPI coach until the last minute so he didn't have any recruiting restrictions.

At least the Bronze Beast's Boys had the decency to join the Tanned One immediately. I recall hearing that they were seen at Mitchell Field that week in IU duds.

Chew stayed behind to strip meat off the carcass while collecting paychecks from Marquette. F#ck that guy. I mean, really.

Death on call

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
Chew on this. I always thought of him as only being loyal to Buzz, not MU. I thought he was working against us pocketing some nice coin after Buzz left..

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
Chew on this. I always thought of him as only being loyal to Buzz, not MU. I thought he was working against us pocketing some nice coin after Buzz left..

Precisely. He was making >$400M by Marquette while working against the University.

Scum bag.

Death on call

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »

Precisely. He was making >$400M by Marquette while working against the University.

Scum bag.

Our basketball budget must be huge.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »

M=1,000
MM=1,000,000

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Who were the guys that hadn't officially said they were going with Buzz to VT, but were caught trying to sneak the recruiting binders out of The Al?  Didn't Bill Cords have to tell them to GTFO?
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
I'm not sure we've seen a more overrated (and very overpaid) recruiter. Stan has been miles better.

He's got a system, though. Stay two years, don't deliver, cash them checks, and move on.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

In the end, everything worked out for the best for everyone. 

Excuse me?

Where have you been the past three years?

Everything DID NOT work out well for everyone. I hope the Hillbilly and all the a-holes that followed him to Jed Clampett country rot in a very warm place and build a close relationship with Satan.

They deserve it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »

Unlike others, I'm assuming that you knew that keefe meant more than $400,000 and realize that that is a very large amount for an assistant (I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be in the top 50% for head coaches at the time).  For Buzz to make the offer, I believe that BOT approval had to be obtained. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »

Scum bag.

This isn't a true statement. Buzz Williams left on 3/21. On March 26, Isaac Chew and Brad Autry left the team so they stopped receiving a pay check from MU. Chew was not named an assistant for VT until April 25th. By not being named an assistant he was able to communicate with previously committed players.

His loyalty lasted until he stopped receiving that $400k+ check or only 5 days prior.  You might not like what he did but he wasn't taking a pay check from MU during the one month gap.

For those who are counting.
M = 1,000
MM = 1,000,000 or thousand thousands.

http://m.wisn.com/sports/2-mu-assistants-under-buzz-williams-leaving/25171926

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:17 AM »
Unlike others, I'm assuming that you knew that keefe meant more than $400,000 and realize that that is a very large amount for an assistant (I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be in the top 50% for head coaches at the time).  For Buzz to make the offer, I believe that BOT approval had to be obtained.

I didn't think I'd have to explain myself, but yes. My use of sarcasm must need some improvement.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
This isn't a true statement. Buzz Williams left on 3/21. On March 26, Isaac Chew and Brad Autry left the team so they stopped receiving a pay check from MU. Chew was not named an assistant for VT until April 25th. By not being named an assistant he was able to communicate with previously committed players.

His loyalty lasted until he stopped receiving that $400k+ check or only 5 days prior.  You might not like what he did but he wasn't taking a pay check from MU during the one month gap.

This is a true statement - Bert left for VPI and Chew stayed at Marquette during which time he was stealing files, data, and other Marquette property for Bert. He then stayed "unemployed" in order to manage the kids who had committed to sign with Marquette.

As I said, "F#ck that asswipe"

Death on call