collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Civil War movie.....fantastic  (Read 4109 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Marvel Civil War movie.....fantastic
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
Saw an early release a few days ago...amazing.  Fantastic.

Going again tonight with the family.  You won't be disappointed.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Marvel Civil War movie.....fantastic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
Saw an early release a few days ago...amazing.  Fantastic.

Going again tonight with the family.  You won't be disappointed.
I'm planning to take my 9-year old son...is there anything that's too objectionable for a kid of that age?  He's already seen Winter Soldier and the Avengers movies...so I have no concerns...my wife on the other hand...thanks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I'm planning to take my 9-year old son...is there anything that's too objectionable for a kid of that age?  He's already seen Winter Soldier and the Avengers movies...so I have no concerns...my wife on the other hand...thanks.

That's such a subjective question not knowing what upsets certain people.  I'm going to say with 95% confidence you will be fine.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »

Yeah, I don't blame you for having concerns about your wife.  Probably best to leave her home.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't blame you for having concerns about your wife.  Probably best to leave her home.
This deserves a response.  Well done.

And yes, I will leave her at home  ;D...with our two younger daughters.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
That's such a subjective question not knowing what upsets certain people.  I'm going to say with 95% confidence you will be fine.
thanks

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
Saw the early screening at Avalon last night with the wife, then had a more critical viewing at 9 am today. Enjoyed it greatly. Marvel is so far ahead of DC right now. It makes sense why Cap and Tony are at odds, and both have viable reasons.

That said, I'll be curious to see how long the current paradigm works. Robert Downey and Chris Evans will leave the franchise soon enough. After Infinity War, I'm not even sure which Big Bad they'll go with. Most of the best options are tied up in the Fantastic Four series.

I think Marvel has an easy 5 years of ruling the box offices, but they'll need to keep pushing the envelope beyond that. Thinking they need to work in The Runaways, Thunderbolts, Nova, and maybe a horror angle like Elsa Bloodstone. Really like to see Marvel TV and movies get reacquainted as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
Saw the early screening at Avalon last night with the wife, then had a more critical viewing at 9 am today. Enjoyed it greatly. Marvel is so far ahead of DC right now. It makes sense why Cap and Tony are at odds, and both have viable reasons.

That said, I'll be curious to see how long the current paradigm works. Robert Downey and Chris Evans will leave the franchise soon enough. After Infinity War, I'm not even sure which Big Bad they'll go with. Most of the best options are tied up in the Fantastic Four series.

I think Marvel has an easy 5 years of ruling the box offices, but they'll need to keep pushing the envelope beyond that. Thinking they need to work in The Runaways, Thunderbolts, Nova, and maybe a horror angle like Elsa Bloodstone. Really like to see Marvel TV and movies get reacquainted as well.

Yup....and who owns Marvel?

D I S N E Y

Printing money

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

D I S N E Y

Printing money

We worked with the Ziff private equity guys when I was with in SE Asia. I got to know Dirk Ziff. Really good guy.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
Speaking of Marvel, here is a fun fact:

The was a Marvel comic book awhile back that had a group of superheroes that were based out of Milwaukee.  They were called the Great Lakes Avengers. One of the characters was Big Bertha, whose superpower was that she was a fat chick.

No, I am not joking. 

http://entertainment.time.com/2009/09/02/top-10-oddest-marvel-characters/slide/the-great-lakes-avengers/

Other names: The Great Lakes Champions, the Great Lakes Initiative
Home base: Milwaukee
Powers: High-pitched voice, voluntary obesity, squirrels
First appeared: 1989 in West Coast Avengersissue No. 46

Bio: When Milwaukee-based Mr. Immortal — a man who couldn’t be killed — realized that his self-healing properties didn’t help him fight crime, he placed a classified ad in the newspaper seeking superheroes with powers that complemented his own. Surprisingly, people responded. His team included:

Flatman: A man of “highly malleable” proportions who could make himself look two-dimensional.
Big Bertha: A Milwaukee supermodel (do those exist?) who could become enormously obese on command.
Dinah Soar: A woman with a voice so high-pitched that only Mr. Immortal could understand her.
Doorman: A man who created inter-dimensional portals through inanimate objects.
Squirrel Girl: A young woman who had the ability to control squirrels. She also dressed like one.

A sixth member, Leather Boy, was kicked out of the group after the team discovered that he was simply a leather fetishist who had misunderstood Mr. Immortal’s personal ad. (Seriously.)

The Midwestern crime-fighting powerhouse accomplished several heroic feats and saved America’s heartland from annihilation on more than one occasion. The group stopped a robbery at the Milwaukee Farmers & Merchants Building, rescued St. Louis from an extraterrestrial attack and halted tornadoes that tormented Ohio. Once they even saved Christmas for a suburb of Muskego, Wisc.

And on top of that, at one point they teamed up with Deadpool.

I wonder what ever happened to that character?
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
I was probably only 7 or 8 years old when my best friend and his mom took me to a comic book store in the Valley to meet Jack Kirby.   The name may not mean anything to some of you, but Kirby with Stan Lee are the founders of Marvel.  He was the artist behind the Marvel comics.  Unfortunately Kirby died in my home town in 1994 and Stan Lee has received all the credit.

Kirby was the main artist and co-creator of Captain America and the Fantastic Four.

There has been some bad blood with the Kirby estate and Marvel \ Disney over the use of some of his characters.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
Speaking of GLA, Squirrel Girl is one of the most inexplicably powerful characters in the Marvel Universe. She defeated Dr Doom solo and saved the world from Galactus. It's somewhat a Marvel running joke, but it's made her something of a cult favorite.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
I saw "Deadpool" last night.  I know it's been out awhile, but it's at the bargain movie theater that has the recliners, so it was all good.

I am not usually a huge superhero fan, but I really enjoyed this film. I loved the irreverent attitude of both the character and the movie in general.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 03:51:09 PM »
Loved the movie. Thought Spider-man was the best part, really looking forward to that reboot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
I saw "Deadpool" last night.  I know it's been out awhile, but it's at the bargain movie theater that has the recliners, so it was all good.

I am not usually a huge superhero fan, but I really enjoyed this film. I loved the irreverent attitude of both the character and the movie in general.

Deadpool was great.....that one isn't so great for many kids, but for the adults it was very funny.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
Deadpool was great.....that one isn't so great for many kids, but for the adults it was very funny.

Hence the "R" rating.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 07:23:31 AM »

Really like to see Marvel TV and movies get reacquainted as well.

There is some Marvel TV.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on ABC.  This is supposed to eventually tie-in to string of movies based on The Inhumans.

Netflix has Daredevil & Jessica Jones & the soon to be released Nick Cage.  Season 1 Daredevil is supposed to take place "in Hells' Kitchen in the aftermath of the attempted alien invasion of NYC".  In the comics these 3 characters are tied into this November's release of Dr. Strange as a group called The Defenders.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
Really liked "Deadpool" - very funny, well written and a little dark.

Civil War was also cleverly written but it was too long and the interminable fight scenes all seem the same after awhile - sort of like watching professional "wrestling". 2.5 -3 stars.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
Hence the "R" rating.

Yup....some dong action as well....which if you like that, all there for consumption.  R rating appropriate

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
Yup....some dong action as well....which if you like that, all there for consumption.  R rating appropriate

Also, liberal use of the F-word, and some unusually graphic violence for a movie based on a comic book - heads literally sliced open with brains flying everywhere, etc.

Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
Apparently some are upset that Captain America has been ruined for having a libertarian streak.  Smdh

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/curtis-houck/2016/05/06/marcotte-marvel-has-ruined-captain-america-because-he-rejects

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
There is some Marvel TV.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on ABC.  This is supposed to eventually tie-in to string of movies based on The Inhumans.

Netflix has Daredevil & Jessica Jones & the soon to be released Nick Cage.  Season 1 Daredevil is supposed to take place "in Hells' Kitchen in the aftermath of the attempted alien invasion of NYC".  In the comics these 3 characters are tied into this November's release of Dr. Strange as a group called The Defenders.

I know. Here's the thing...different people run the TV and movie sides. Ike Perlmutter, who is largely credited with driving Whedon away, runs Marvel TV, while Kevin Feige, who helped push Perlmutter out of the movies, runs the cinematic side. The rift between them is strong enough that there is a rumor they will simply drop the Inhumans movie.

After numerous tie-ins early on (Jaimie Alexander guest shot as Sif, Thor: Dark World tie-in, Winter Soldier tie-in) those have become less and less. It really seems like Marvel TV is just on its own, with only the occasional vague reference to the films. Further, the leaked scene about the Sokovia Accords from tomorrow's episode really seems to assume the Accords would be handled exactly like the Registration Act from the Civil War comic storyline, whereas in the movie they weren't universal for all superhumans, more targeting the Avengers. Basically, an indication that TV has no idea what the MCU is even doing.

Add in that there have been numerous mentions that Daredevil and Jessica Jones (or the rest of Defenders) will not tie in to the movies, that those characters likely won't appear in Infinity War. It makes it very interesting from a character perspective if they don't tie in, will they just try to stick with some characters going to TV (Punisher, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight all rumored for Netflix) while others like Captain Marvel, Nova, Thunderbolts, and Sentry get the film treatment?

I'd love to see Perlmutter booted out of the TV side, especially if they could replace him with Joss Whedon, who has TV experience from Buffy and Angel but also knows the Marvel universe having written for X-Men while also directing the first two Avengers films. He also has a better relationship with Feige, and obviously has a direct connection to Agents of SHIELD as his brother Jed is one of the show-runners on MAOS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 02:13:11 PM »
The 14 year old in me who was very into the late 70s/early 80s Avengers mythology had a huge problem with how Vision disappeared from the group fight scene.  Kept anticipating actions from him that never came.   Granted, the movie was about Captain America and Iron Man.  But vision should have been able to tour CA's whole side.   Geek revealed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »
The 14 year old in me who was very into the late 70s/early 80s Avengers mythology had a huge problem with how Vision disappeared from the group fight scene.  Kept anticipating actions from him that never came.   Granted, the movie was about Captain America and Iron Man.  But vision should have been able to tour CA's whole side.   Geek revealed.

Nah, Wanda was the most powerful one there. She just doesn't know it yet.

Apparently some are upset that Captain America has been ruined for having a libertarian streak.  Smdh

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/curtis-houck/2016/05/06/marcotte-marvel-has-ruined-captain-america-because-he-rejects

Just read this...ugh. Growing up, I didn't like Cap much. Seemed too much a boy scout. I was more into the cliche tough guys, Wolverine, Frank Castle, Dwight from Sin City, Luke Cage...sure, they had their thinking man moments, but mostly just tore through their enemies. Probably just the undersized teenage kid that wished he could be more bad ass himself.

But as I've become an adult, and yes, one that still reads comics (reading Marvel's Siege now) I've not only come to respect Steve Rogers, but he's now my favorite costumed character. He does what he thinks is right regardless of politics. He's the guy who gave up the shield in the 1980s because he didn't agree with what the government wanted him to do. He's the guy who put the stars and stripes back on because he didn't like what the mantle became. The guy who tried to save his best friend even when that best friend was clearly a bad guy. He rejected the Registration Act because of the impact it could have on people like Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Peter Parker.

For better or worse, Cap does what he feels is right, even when it requires personal sacrifice. As an adult, that's what I aspire to. And anyone getting down on Cap for actions that don't match their personal beliefs don't understand that he isn't meant to be a reflection of us, but an ideal of what we could be.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Nah, Wanda was the most powerful one there. She just doesn't know it yet.

Just read this...ugh. Growing up, I didn't like Cap much. Seemed too much a boy scout. I was more into the cliche tough guys, Wolverine, Frank Castle, Dwight from Sin City, Luke Cage...sure, they had their thinking man moments, but mostly just tore through their enemies. Probably just the undersized teenage kid that wished he could be more bad ass himself.

But as I've become an adult, and yes, one that still reads comics (reading Marvel's Siege now) I've not only come to respect Steve Rogers, but he's now my favorite costumed character. He does what he thinks is right regardless of politics. He's the guy who gave up the shield in the 1980s because he didn't agree with what the government wanted him to do. He's the guy who put the stars and stripes back on because he didn't like what the mantle became. The guy who tried to save his best friend even when that best friend was clearly a bad guy. He rejected the Registration Act because of the impact it could have on people like Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Peter Parker.

For better or worse, Cap does what he feels is right, even when it requires personal sacrifice. As an adult, that's what I aspire to. And anyone getting down on Cap for actions that don't match their personal beliefs don't understand that he isn't meant to be a reflection of us, but an ideal of what we could be.

I have not seen Civil Waryet.  My 15 year old has and is struggling to keep her mouth closed to not spoil anything for my wife and I and our younger daughter.

He's become my favorite too.
I read a review on Civil War (I think it was Rolling Stone?) where Captain America was called the conscience for the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

feedback