[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Swing and miss with Young and Gill?  (Read 29370 times)

1SE

• All American
Swing and miss with Young and Gill?
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Here's to hoping it won't happen. But if it does how much does it lower your expectations for next season?  Miss NCAA?  Miss NIT? 

How would it change your view of Wojo's seat?  If neither was a #donedeal how do you feel about Wally's Poleaxing?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Swing and miss with Young and Gill?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
If we miss on Young it doesn't change my expectations for next season. But it does change my expectations for 17-18.

If we miss on Gill it does change my expectations for next season (go from solid NCAA team to fringe NCAA team). But it doesn't change my expectations for 17-18.

It doesn't change my opinion that much on Wojo's seat. It would be two recruiting misses, but every coach has those. Make it up in 2017 and all is forgiven. I don't really feel bad about the Wally situation so no change in opinion there.

I would also hope that if we were to miss on both that we would go after some other players. Maybe a transfer for 17-18.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
Here's to hoping it won't happen. But if it does how much does it lower your expectations for next season?  Miss NCAA?  Miss NIT? 

How would it change your view of Wojo's seat?  If neither was a #donedeal how do you feel about Wally's Poleaxing?

Don't have them going to the NCAA—with or without Young or Gill. Perhaps they sneak into the NIT this time. More likely: a repeat of this past year. Decent record but no tourney.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:37:22 PM »
I think MU has a good chance at Young but I'd be shocked if they got gill. Seemed everything went shhhhhh once Maryland called.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
I prefer the subject line "What if we swing and miss with Young and Gill"

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
I think MU has a good chance at Young but I'd be shocked if they got gill. Seemed everything went shhhhhh once Maryland called.

Except for that fact that he visited MU for two days after he scheduled his Maryland visit.

I do think we have a better shot at Young than Gill, though

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
What is worth tracking is Wojo's luster: Henry to the NBA can put a spotlight on the program and Wojo, but he needs to parlay it into recruits. IF the luster fades, he's gonna have to scrap and claw the hard way to the NCAAs with mid-major talent (not to say it can't be done...).
SS Marquette

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »
What is worth tracking is Wojo's luster: Henry to the NBA can put a spotlight on the program and Wojo, but he needs to parlay it into recruits. IF the luster fades, he's gonna have to scrap and claw the hard way to the NCAAs with mid-major talent (not to say it can't be done...).

I mean, he followed up last year's class with 3 top 100 players this year. He's doing a good job recruiting.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »

What are you, a lawyer or something?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 05:53:10 PM »

Except that since Wally-gate, I doubt Henry is interested in being an ambassador for MU. At last not immediately. Can't see him lending his time to chat and meet with prospective recruits.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »

YOu forgot the part where Wojo didnt just burn the bridge, but blew up all the ground beneath it so the bridge could never be built again.

burger

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
The Providence coach is "positioning" that he has developed Bentil and Dunn.....

Those. are both "maybe's" at the next level......(I think Bentil will be a much better player than Dunn)

We have developed and have "stars" at the next level.....

Wade......Butler......Crowder.....Matthews.....and Henry sound like a Top 10 pick ahead of Dunn.....

Name "one" Providence star in the past 20 years at the next level......Ummmmmmmmmm......

WOJO needs to turn the tables on Cooley......Providence was a mess until this year and as far as I am concerned.....A
one trick pony......

They will probably be in the 2nd half of the division next year......Back to normal.....and we will be back in the tournament......Back to normal.....

That the NBA arena, the facilities, and practicing and scimmaging at times with NBA players definitely make the choice an easy one.....

Better school also......(better academics)

Done deal.....

Which one does WOJO want.....is more the question.......
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:02:35 PM by burger »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »

Gill would be a real help next year, Young a standard freshman big. My expectations for next year are built without either, so I consider them icing on the cake .

Wojo is not on a hot seat at all. He just got a conference extension and Lovell is in love with him

Wally was not pole axed. He is welcome to play on the team he just has to pay tuition if he wants to play basketball.  Just like Cam Marotta.  I am not a big fan of Wojos methods but in this case he legitimately needed to free up a scholarship . There are others in the mix besides Gill and Young.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
So Wojo should use the success of players he didn't coach to "turn the tables" on Cooley? Seems like an odd approach.

burger

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
MU is a program which puts more money into basketball than any except maybe 5 institutions in the country......

I guess WOJO should just rely on his lineage and stewardship under Coach K.....

Where did Ed Cooley coach before this......High School?

Because if you watched half of his games this years as I have......I think he is having flashbacks.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:15:47 PM by burger »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
Isn't Marquette Fan in NY the old Texas Western?

If so, we know he doesn't like Wojo and he's defending him in the Wally situation. So....probably wasn't all on Wojo.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
MU is a program which puts more money into basketball than any except maybe 5 institutions in the country......

I find this to be unsupported by any meaningful data.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
Per my source, Young enjoying himself today while on campus.  His dad enjoying the visit too.

My source is not BD84 connected, but pretty darned reliable.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Per my source, Young enjoying himself today while on campus.  His dad enjoying the visit too.

My source is not BD84 connected, but pretty darned reliable.
Thought it was his mom on the visit?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »

What's the difference? All about how you identify.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
Unleash Wally must be a rodent troll.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »

Which is why his dad is enjoying the visit too.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
BeeJay, da diff between a Mom or a Dad is all 'bout da penis. Assumin' no transgenderin' has transpired, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
BeeJay, da diff between a Mom or a Dad is all 'bout da penis. Assumin' no transgenderin' has transpired, hey?

I agree. Many disagree. My local ma & pa shop Target believes it's about feelings.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 07:03:57 PM »
I call 'BS' on the subject too.  Nothing like making a declaration on something you have no idea on in order to draw out alarmists who will show displeasure with Wojo.

Also - Young will be a frosh.  Needed? yes.  Good? if not right away hopefully he'll develop well.  '17 game changer?  Hope he comes here, but that would be an outlier for an under-the-radar recruit. 

I agree. Many disagree. My local ma & pa shop Target believes it's about feelings.
::)  G.I.A.F.R.