[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unfufilled potential of MU players  (Read 19471 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Unfufilled potential of MU players
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
Jimmy averaged 18.7 points and 7+ rebounds in JC and did have at least one (43 points) monster game, maybe more. but he wasn't a top 50 JC guy. I never said he wasn't good. But if I told you my final 5 were Iowa State, Clemson, Mississippi State, Marquette (who found him because they were recruiting Fulce) and Kentucky wouldn't you say one those schools didn't "fit" with the rest?

Kentucky took a JUCO in Josh Harrelson that year, so I don't think it's crazy at all. Billy wasn't diving in storage vaults of McD's AA like Cal is right now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »
Kentucky took a JUCO in Josh Harrelson that year, so I don't think it's crazy at all. Billy wasn't diving in storage vaults of McD's AA like Cal is right now.

OK, I surrender.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »
OK, I surrender.

Yes!

It was the Scrooge McDuck reference that did it, right?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
Butler turned out to be an amazing recruit. However, I generally discount spring recruits. Coaches do not like to leave an open roster spot, so recruits that they would not consider in the fall are all of a sudden desired recruits. There are the hidden gems like Butler who flew totally under the radar. I think Carter was a very good late signing and I believe he fell there, because he was injured. Anim, who I have a gut feeling may be the surprise player of the year on MU's roster, is more likely the type of high school player you end up with. Basically, someone that will fill the empty seat as a freshmen. Anim could play a lot this year if he learns where to be on defense and resists throwing up a three point shot as soon as he gets in the game.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
steve taylor jr and anthony pieper
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
Butler turned out to be an amazing recruit. However, I generally discount spring recruits. Coaches do not like to leave an open roster spot, so recruits that they would not consider in the fall are all of a sudden desired recruits. There are the hidden gems like Butler who flew totally under the radar. I think Carter was a very good late signing and I believe he fell there, because he was injured. Anim, who I have a gut feeling may be the surprise player of the year on MU's roster, is more likely the type of high school player you end up with. Basically, someone that will fill the empty seat as a freshmen. Anim could play a lot this year if he learns where to be on defense and resists throwing up a three point shot as soon as he gets in the game.

I would add a Crowder, Gardner, DJO also in the Spring along with the any D1 transfers like Jamil, Trent.  Buzz did very well in the Spring.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
and even more complications when you consider Marotta's relationship with the girl and what that did to team chemistry.

I'm surprised this is the first time Mark Marotta's name came up. Talk about busts. I know we're not supposed to speak ill of the deceased, but he was a high school all American, I don't think he was a burger boy, but my recollection was he was darn close.

He was not what he was supposed to be coming out of high school. Big deal player reputation, very average performance. Smart, nice guy and all, but I guess he was supposed to be the real deal. He wasn't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »
I'm surprised this is the first time Mark Marotta's name came up. Talk about busts. I know we're not supposed to speak ill of the deceased, but he was a high school all American, I don't think he was a burger boy, but my recollection was he was darn close.

He was not what he was supposed to be coming out of high school. Big deal player reputation, very average performance. Smart, nice guy and all, but I guess he was supposed to be the real deal. He wasn't

I'm not recalling that at all but certainly could be wrong.  If true, then the rating services in those days were waaay off.  I have no recollection of Marc coming in with big expectations that might lead him to the NBA.  He was a solid starter and no more.  Probably the second best player on the team as an upperclassman.  The guy that I recall got the greatest grief at the time was Terrell Schlundt.  And I'm not really sure that was fair because he had to play out of position too much.  The sad reality is that absent Doc the program would have been in the serious decline phase that accelerated in the years following.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
steve taylor jr and anthony pieper

I agree with STJ.  But I thought Pieper was a solid player from his sophomore year on.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Marc was a solid player that had great second half of his senior year. He was only 17 when he started at MU and I think he was the player I thought he would be. Again, he had exceptional last half of senior year.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »

I agree with STJ.  But I thought Pieper was a solid player from his sophomore year on.

i guess i was expecting him to really ring 'em up being the top state scoring leader.  presently #31 at 1234.  nothing against him just high expectations

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
Marc was a solid player that had great second half of his senior year. He was only 17 when he started at MU and I think he was the player I thought he would be. Again, he had exceptional last half of senior year.

he was a solid veteran/team leader and played through some challenging times-good, smart player

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »
i guess i was expecting him to really ring 'em up being the top state scoring leader.  presently #31 at 1234.  nothing against him just high expectations

Remember he played in KO's and Deane's grind it out, first to 60 wins style and on teams with Hutch and Crawford.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”