'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Unfufilled potential of MU players  (Read 19348 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Unfufilled potential of MU players
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
Lloyd Moore.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
Lloyd Moore.

Forgot about Chocolate Moose. I wish he had kept the weight off.

I'd add Walter Downing to my list. Saw glimpses of greatness and then he was hurt. Too bad he went to Depaul for awhile before he came to us.

Jamil Wilson may have been number one on my list! He was so good and yet soooooo bad. Lacked the intestinal fortitude to play inside.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:15:26 PM by dgies9156 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Ryan Amoroso
He had the size to be the interior presence that MU needed, but he never seemed to have his heart completely into basketball.

Dameon Mason
He had the tools to be Jerel McNeal before Jerel McNeal.

Trent Lockett
Tough to call out a starter on a conf champ/E8 team, but he was no where near the offensive threat I was expecting.

Todd Townsend
Highly-regarded recruit, looked the part. Didn't play like it.

Erik Williams
See Todd Townsend

Trevor Mbakwe and Jeronne Maymon
Both fulfilled their potential in other uni's.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »
Another unfulfilled potential from the 80s

Terry Reason.  I think came in as one of the highest scoring players in California HS history.  Looked great as a freshman. got in Rick's dog house.  Nothing after that.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
I don’t know how Juan Anderson even got brought up in this thread. He was simply terrible. I’m not sure if he was highly ranked coming out of HS but man did he disappoint every year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »
Juan was RSCI #81 in 2011.

He may not have lived up to that ranking, but he was better than players like Jamail Jones (#74 in 2010) and Erik Williams (#67 in 2009)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
I don’t know how Juan Anderson even got brought up in this thread. He was simply terrible. I’m not sure if he was highly ranked coming out of HS but man did he disappoint every year.
I think Juan had some unrealistically high expectations coming in. He was a solid hustling player as a freshman but he never made the big progression most players make as a sophomore, then he went down as a junior. When he hit Senior year he did make the progression and he actually had a very solid senior season. Without him that year  we may have been single digit wins.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
Another unfulfilled potential from the 80s

Terry Reason.  I think came in as one of the highest scoring players in California HS history.  Looked great as a freshman. got in Rick's dog house.  Nothing after that.

Jheri Curls

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »
As good as Glenn Rivers was, he didn't reach his potential at Marquette. His game was muted by both Raymonds and Majerus. He ended up being only a second-round draft pick despite his talent, but then realized his potential during a good, long pro career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 07:09:19 AM »
John Dawson, clearly the best player on the teams but had too short of a leash
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
Juan was RSCI #81 in 2011.

He may not have lived up to that ranking, but he was better than players like Jamail Jones (#74 in 2010) and Erik Williams (#67 in 2009)
Jones and Williams were especially disappointing even if you remove fans' unrealistic expectations. Generally recruits have a big adjustment to make their freshmen year and often disapoint based on fans' expectations. In the latest ESPN rankings Howard is 84 and Hauser is 86 and most posters here think they are going to make a big difference.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »
Jamil Wilson.

Ended up a decent player, but never really became what people thought he would become.

Unreal expectations of the fan base?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »
Unreal expectations of the fan base?

I think he peaked early in high school so unrealistic expectations is probably accurate.

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Jim (Monster) Bailey and Gene Bromstead (sp?)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
As good as Glenn Rivers was, he didn't reach his potential at Marquette. His game was muted by both Raymonds and Majerus. He ended up being only a second-round draft pick despite his talent, but then realized his potential during a good, long pro career.

+1. Doc was a major disappointment as a college player - but not because of Raymonds and Majerus. What muted his game was his poor outside shot. Opponents played zones and that's what stymied him.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
Doc did not live up to expectations IMO. There is a long list of guys that could be listed but he jumps out as #1 to me. He was nice player at MU but always left me wanting more. Jamil Wilson is most recent guy that left me wanting a lot more.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »
Bingo.

Also, holding the lack of tournament success against that group is harsh. As glow pointed out, hey had two seasons where they were all healthy... as freshman and juniors. Got beat by a fluke shot junior year.

It's still ridiculous. The only expectation he fell short of was making it to the NBA. Over four years, what he did at MU was as good as anyone could have hoped.

Don't forget the lack of quality interior players.  They had to make up a lot of ground for what their teams gave away on the inside.  Nobody on those teams above 6-5 was more than a fringe D1 player, other than Novak their freshman year, and he was hardly an interior force.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
This might help this conversation: http://marquette.247sports.com/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits

Its a list of Marquette's top 50 recruits since 2000 based on their 247 composite rating.

Some names that jump out to me:

#1 Henry Ellenson and #2 Vander Blue both left with us wanting more.

#3 Jajuan Johnson underachieved his first 2.5 seasons but looked like the star we expected the second half of last season.  Could give us a monster senior year.

#4 Dameon Mason I think was great when he played for us but after transferring to LSU he really fell of the wagon.

We just recruited #5 Markus Howard, very very excited about him.

#11 is Juan Anderson? Damn.

#15 is Sandy Cohen? Damn.

Yous Mbao and Davante Gardner are tied at #31? Yikes.

247 massively underrates JUCOs, see #26 Jameel McKay, t-#34 Darius Johnson-Odom, t-#34 Jae Crowder, t-#48 Jimmy Butler.
This is awesome. Thanks.

P.S. Wojo is only responsible for 5 of the top 20.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
JFB was rated behind Pat Hazel, Mike Kinsella and David Cubillan but Chico insists he was offered by Kentucky. LOL.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
JFB was rated behind Pat Hazel, Mike Kinsella and David Cubillan but Chico insists he was offered by Kentucky. LOL.

He wasn't?

That was sarcasm, he was. Just google it, very easy to find all the old articles.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
He wasn't?

That was sarcasm, he was. Just google it, very easy to find all the old articles.

This was also in the Billy Gillispie era for Kentucky, when they weren't exactly top tier in recruiting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »

He was....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/107124358.html

Butler, on the other hand, had an offer from Kentucky - his dream school - and was set to accept.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
He was....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/107124358.html

That article also talks about Fulce sticking with Marquette "despite Tom Crean leaving unexpectedly for Indiana". Tom Crean had nothing to do with Fulce coming to MU - as long as Buzz was here he was too. Not Rosiak's best job of reporting.

I know Kentucky was down during that period but I'd still be surprised if they really offered a guy not considered a top 30 Juco - but maybe that's the kind of thing that made Gillespie such a bust.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »
+1. Doc was a major disappointment as a college player - but not because of Raymonds and Majerus. What muted his game was his poor outside shot. Opponents played zones and that's what stymied him.

Well, I suppose my recollection could be off ... although I do remember many times the Warriors would have a 3-on-2 break and Rivers, on Hank's instruction, would slow down and wait to set up the offense. Maybe both are true, and both contributed to Glenn not realizing his potential.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2016, 03:53:44 PM »
Some random thoughts on this subject:

1) Bernard Toone -- One of the best recruits Al got (which is saying a lot) but wasted a lot of his talent.

He was the first that came to mind for me. Turned out to be a decent player, but not nearly as good as expected.

Al looked for any excuse to not play freshmen and Toone gave him ample reasons.

I think he is comparable to Jamil, where you see the talent, but that talent never transferred to the production that it should have.

feedback