[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69052 times)

Coleman

• All American

With all due respect, I hope this line of posting stops here.

alright alright alright. i deleted it. delete your quote and we're good.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
It's more like those macramé bucket hats made out of old Schlitz or PBR cans.  Retro cool?  Yeah.  But only in really small doses.

God help me, I remember those.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
God help me, I remember those.

So you mean they are no longer popular?  Asking for a friend...

Dawson Rental

• All American
But now how will freshmen know they are being punished for being freshmen???

Back when the YMCA was still the YMCA, I transferred in from MU's freshman floor at  the YMCA at the start of  the second semester and got the roommate who had three roommates transfer out of the room on him during the first semester.  That's punishment.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
As many of you know know, Straz (the old Y) is a coveted res hall these days.  Very nice inside.  And unless you're an engineer or nurse, not a bad walk.  I'd say everyone's last choice right now is Mashuda.  Agree Chitown?

Slim

• All American
In '77 McCormick was all male. After freshmen year a dozen of us, pooled our lottery numbers and picked 6 rooms on 8 North Schroeder. 801 - 806. Two of the guys had previously caused a lot of trouble so the Hall Director made those two guys live next to him on the first floor.

Just before the semester started our RA on 8N got his girlfriend pregnant and had to drop out of school. They never replaced our RA for the entire year, the just had the RA from 8S do double duty.

We soon learned the windows on the first floor were removable. We could put the kegs through the first floor window and straight to the elevator - we didn't even have to pass the front desk from there. And didn't have an RA. We had 15 kegs in the first 20 days of sophomore year. We were definitely not more mature then we were as freshmen.

drewm88

• All American
In '77 McCormick was all male. After freshmen year a dozen of us, pooled our lottery numbers and picked 6 rooms on 8 North Schroeder. 801 - 806. Two of the guys had previously caused a lot of trouble so the Hall Director made those two guys live next to him on the first floor.

Just before the semester started our RA on 8N got his girlfriend pregnant and had to drop out of school. They never replaced our RA for the entire year, the just had the RA from 8S do double duty.

We soon learned the windows on the first floor were removable. We could put the kegs through the first floor window and straight to the elevator - we didn't even have to pass the front desk from there. And didn't have an RA. We had 15 kegs in the first 20 days of sophomore year. We were definitely not more mature then we were as freshmen.

That sort of efficiency suggests a certain kind of maturity.

Dawson Rental

• All American

Around '77, a floor at Schroeder suffered a lot of damage to the hallway walls and nobody would squeal about who did it and everyone on the floor ended up paying for the damage.  Was that you guys?

mu-rara

• All American
Anybody live on 5th McCormick 78-79.

I worked for MU cleaning dorms the following summer.  You guys left a mess.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
I didn't actually have you though, we merely adopted you and ignored our regularly assigned RA.

I don't even know who our actual assigned RA was.  I remember MUJivitz signing off on a few PTM/Titan room renovations.

Coleman

• All American
Does anyone from '77 remember this actually happening? I mean, Steve Rushin heard it second hand, so I'm curious if that's how it went down...

"When I arrived at Marquette University in 1984, there were TV lounges on every floor of McCormick Hall, the cylindrical, high-rise, all-male freshman dorm that resembled--in shape, smell and construction materials--a 16-ounce beer can. But the TV lounges were bereft of TVs. This owed, we were told, to a single night seven years earlier when Al McGuire led Marquette to the national basketball championship in Atlanta. Residents of McCormick, in downtown Milwaukee, celebrated by throwing their TVs out the windows. It must have been a beautiful tableau, and one that Led Zeppelin would have envied: the sky black with falling TVs, a Biblical rain of Zeniths."

http://www.si.com/vault/2003/04/07/340988/milwaukees-finest

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
As many of you know know, Straz (the old Y) is a coveted res hall these days.  Very nice inside.  And unless you're an engineer or nurse, not a bad walk.  I'd say everyone's last choice right now is Mashuda.  Agree Chitown?

Yup, it's a mad rush for McCabe, Straz and Schroeder, just based on your personal preference. McCabe had the best triples, Straz had the best doubles and Schroeder is well, Schroeder.  Thank god I got like the 3rd best time because my roommate got one of the worst. Mashuda and Carpenter are far and away the last dorm choices for sophomores.

I did spend quite a bit of time in Mashuda my Sophomore year because one of my best friends lived there and she never wanted to make the mile walk over to Straz and remember thinking it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it to be. That being said, my roommate and I had an awesome room layout and setup and I wouldn't have changed thay at all. Room 515 looking straight out at the memorial statue and the Wisconsin Club.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:59:37 PM by ChitownYoung »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Yup, it's a mad rush for McCabe, Straz and Schroeder, just based on your personal preference. McCabe had the best triples, Straz had the best doubles and Schroeder is well, Schroeder.  Thank god I got like the 3rd best time because my roommate got one of the worst. Mashuda and Carpenter are far and away the last dorm choices for sophomores.

I did spend quite a bit of time in Mashuda my Sophomore year because one of my best friends lived there and she never wanted to make the mile walk over to Straz and remember thinking it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it to be. That being said, my roommate and I had an awesome room layout and setup and I wouldn't have changed thay at all. Room 515 looking straight out at the memorial statue and the Wisconsin Club.

McCabe? 

When I was there for sophomores it was Schroeder or bust.  I had an early time but was going to be an RA so some guys paid me to use it to get them a room in Schroeder.  East was considered purgatory. The only time I went there was for Bob's Barbershop (RIP, Bob). It closed my junior year due to declining enrollment.

I lived in Mashuda for a semester and loved it since we had our bathroom and air conditioning and the biggest rooms on campus.  a
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
McCabe? 

When I was there for sophomores it was Schroeder or bust.  I had an early time but was going to be an RA so some guys paid me to use it to get them a room in Schroeder.  East was considered purgatory. The only time I went there was for Bob's Barbershop (RIP, Bob). It closed my junior year due to declining enrollment.

I lived in Mashuda for a semester and loved it since we had our bathroom and air conditioning and the biggest rooms on campus.  a

Bob's Barbershop closed? Or is someone else running it now?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Bob's Barbershop closed? Or is someone else running it now?

Bob passed last year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jsglow

• All American

Not any more.  Flipped usage with Humphrey.  Upperclassmen and athletes now.  My kid had an incredible double in McCabe.  Uuuuuge.  Overlooked the new engineering building.  Absolutely beautiful.  Had he been allowed, he would have gladly stayed.

warriorchick

• All American
Bob passed last year.

I think it is still open though. I recall glow jr.  talking about the not-unattractive chick that cut his hair there.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I think it is still open though. I recall glow jr.  talking about the not-unattractive chick that cut his hair there.

Ha, never got my haircut there but I know exactly who he's talking about. Would always see her when I would walk by to go to the rec plex.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

She cut my hair once. That was enough.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
Not any more.  Flipped usage with Humphrey.  Upperclassmen and athletes now.  My kid had an incredible double in McCabe.  Uuuuuge.  Overlooked the new engineering building.  Absolutely beautiful.  Had he been allowed, he would have gladly stayed.

I thought Humphrey was apartments....like bedrooms, kitchen, living room, etc....which is why it was for upper classmen...

Did they change the room layouts? Or are they giving apartments to underclassmen now?

warriorchick

• All American
I thought Humphrey was apartments....like bedrooms, kitchen, living room, etc....which is why it was for upper classmen...

Did they change the room layouts? Or are they giving apartments to underclassmen now?

They are changing it up over this summer. Humphrey is going to dorm rooms.
Have some patience, FFS.

SaveOD238

• All American
If they choose to give each tower its own name, they can't ignore Father Naus as the namesake of the other tower.  The man spent like 40 years at Marquette, many of those in a residence hall.  I've been hoping since he passed that he would get some recognition on campus.

If you're interested in supporting this cause, please join our Facebook group "MU Alums for Father Naus Hall" https://www.facebook.com/groups/268069610205578/?pnref=story

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
So we putting athletes in this dorm to offset the TERRIBLE recruiting because we are SLU?

shoothoops

• All American
Bob passed last year.

RIP Bob.  A good man.  I didn't know.  I used to go there often.  Bob's daughter Chris cut my hair and did a good job.  Her friend Jenny also cut hair there and would cut mine when Chris wasn't around.  Bob basically had one style of cutting hair, bald, and come back in 3 weeks.  Not for me, lol.  Bob was always good for a joke, scoop and a story.  All very nice people.

Jay Bee

• All American
RIP Bob.  A good man.  I didn't know.  I used to go there often.  Bob's daughter Chris cut my hair and did a good job.  Her friend Jenny also cut hair there and would cut mine when Chris wasn't around.  Bob basically had one style of cutting hair, bald, and come back in 3 weeks.  Not for me, lol.  Bob was always good for a joke, scoop and a story.  All very nice people.

Peace to the shoe shine guy too (Carl?). Shorter black dude.

One of the first times I went to Bob & Earle's, there were a few of us that went together. My friend had some jacked up hair. At age 19 he was balding, but had this curly, almost white-guy afro thing on his head. Jacked up hair, and we as his friends always let him know his hair looked eff'd up.

So, we go to Bob & Earle's... he hops into the chair, and Bob goes, "what the unnatural carnal knowledge do you want me to do with this?!"

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.