[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69051 times)

Can we get back to everyone's drunken debauchery stories at McCormick, ai na?

I can't wait for Carpenter Tower to close down so that I can share some of those ::crickets::

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
I think you're the last to know rock.

When did the dining hall on O'D close?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

I thought it was like 05 or 06
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

I can't wait for Carpenter Tower to close down so that I can share some of those ::crickets::

We would sneak kegs in boxes that computers came in....couldn't do it too frequently because nobody replaced a tower computer every weekend, even in 1999
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
I think you're the last to know rock.

Perhaps, but there were at least a few posts (not by me) mentioning how O'Donnell would be used in the future

🏀

• All American
Perhaps, but there were at least a few posts (not by me) mentioning how O'Donnell would be used in the future

It's only be temporary closed, not permanent.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Tell you one thing, going from McCormick to Straz from freshman to sophomore year was quite the change. Though I enjoyed my stay in Straz much more. Better room, better roommate, better food.

jsglow

• All American
I thought it was like 05 or 06

Decent guess.  Perhaps as late as 07-08.  Replaced by the 'man cave'.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

2008. The year before I became an RA.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Decent guess.  Perhaps as late as 07-08.  Replaced by the 'man cave'.

This is correct. Loved the man cave.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
This is correct. Loved the man cave.

Man cave?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Man cave?

They replaced the od cafeteria with a rec room. Giant HD projector, surround sound, Xbox 360, ps3 (both new at the time), bean bag chairs, air hockey, Foosball, ping pong, and pool table. It was named the man cave.

Only room that was air conditioned too
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:50:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
How many different dorms did you guys bang in?

Living in a coed dorm made life much easier, a'iina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
They replaced the od cafeteria with a rec room. Giant HD projector, surround sound, Xbox 360, ps3 (both new at the time), bean bag chairs, air hockey, Foosball, ping pong, and pool table. It was named the man cave.

Only room that was air conditioned too

Some referred to OD with this term for a different reason.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:49:48 AM by real chili 83 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
We would sneak kegs in boxes that computers came in....couldn't do it too frequently because nobody replaced a tower computer every weekend, even in 1999

Funny....when I was in Schroeder, I actually had my PC in the big box, bringing it in to the building, and was stopped by the DRs thinking it was a keg.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

Mccormick, Schroeder and mashuda.

Didn't waste my time in cobeen.  Stayed away from OD.  nh.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34

McCormick, Mashuda, OD. Campus Town is owned by MU so does that count too?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Skitch

• All American
I was given a tour of Schroeder as a HS senior (1993) as it was just renovated. I never saw the inside of McCormick until MU Preview but I knew I wanted to live there.  The same thing happened at other schools - I saw the renovated or new dorms which were actually for upperclassmen. I guess it's a carrot: "come here and eventually you'll get to live here."

One thing I remember from a tour at Evansville, 23 years later, was how the phone in the renovated dorm was on a swivel - it was shared between two neighboring rooms. I thought that was rather strange.

I lived in Schroeder 93-94 which was the first year it fully reopened after the renovation.  It was really nice.  Clean, updated bathrooms, beds already lofted, really nice cafeteria.  The only problem were the jackasses who pulled like 15 fire alarms during the course of the year.  Also at some point an emergency fire hose in the stairwell was broken into and turned on on the 9th floor causing water damage all the way to the 3rd or 4th floor.  I lived on 10 so we didn't have to deal with that but the phone lines got messed up (no cellphones for the most part) and you would pick up your phone to make a call and there would be random people already talking.  Was occasionally fun to listen in on though.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I lived in Schroeder 93-94 which was the first year it fully reopened after the renovation.  It was really nice.  Clean, updated bathrooms, beds already lofted, really nice cafeteria.  The only problem were the jackasses who pulled like 15 fire alarms during the course of the year.  Also at some point an emergency fire hose in the stairwell was broken into and turned on on the 9th floor causing water damage all the way to the 3rd or 4th floor.  I lived on 10 so we didn't have to deal with that but the phone lines got messed up (no cellphones for the most part) and you would pick up your phone to make a call and there would be random people already talking.  Was occasionally fun to listen in on though.

A water main broke in Schroeder this past year and flooded like the first 3 floors really bad. To make matters worse I think it was at like 3 am too.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

carpenter tower 912 if this rooms a rockin....great times
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
One thing I never realized until I left Marquette and started working for other universities is how rare the sophomore live on requirement is. It is also uncommon for universities to not allow juniors or seniors to live on campus. It is also uncommon to have freshman only and sophomore only buidlings. Marquette residence life is very unique. I wonder if some of those things will start to change as they move forward.

since i lived in waukesha, we changed my boys status to commuters starting their sophomore years to get then out of that requirement.  they then lived in apartments soph thru graduation. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
A water main broke in Schroeder this past year and flooded like the first 3 floors really bad. To make matters worse I think it was at like 3 am too.

Story I heard was that some chick turned on the fire hose.  Ruined lots of kid's electronics.  Half the hockey team stayed at my kid's apartment as a roomie was on the team.

CTWarrior

• All American
Story I heard was that some chick turned on the fire hose.  Ruined lots of kid's electronics.  Half the hockey team stayed at my kid's apartment as a roomie was on the team.

My room at Tower flooded over Christmas break sophomore year and I had to second the spring semester at the Y.  I had a triple at Tower and though the Y was not great, I made out better than my roommates, who were both shipped back to McCormick to room with freshmen.  Had my own room and no real security, so that part was good for me and my girlfriend, but not the same as living in a real dorm.

One lasting memory of my freshman year in McCormick on 8 was that there was mice and whenever one of us caught one for some reason we hung them by their tails from the Exit sign near one entrance off the elevators.  We had quite the collection going before someone (staff?) finally took them down.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Coleman

• All American
nm
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:06:16 AM by Coleman »

GGGG

• All American
nm
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:07:56 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »