Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69486 times)

warriorchick

• All American
When did freshmen start getting to request where they lived? I feel like I was only asked about a quiet room and smoker/nonsmoker.

They don't ask about smoking any more now that it is banned inside the building.
Have some patience, FFS.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player

If they choose to give each tower its own name, they can't ignore Father Naus as the namesake of the other tower.  The man spent like 40 years at Marquette, many of those in a residence hall.  I've been hoping since he passed that he would get some recognition on campus.

The Naus House.  Love it!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
My recollection, such as it is now (Arts 68, Law '71), was that McCormick was originally designed to be a full circle.  However, there was an apartment building on the NE corner of 16th and Wisconsin, and the owner refused to sell.  So the building was redesigned to build around it, thus its current shape.  There were plans, I believe, to build a twin tower just north of McCormick, which never materialized.

Circular buildings were something of a rage in those days, for example the Pfister Hotel and several circular buildings in north Milwaukee. And of course those twin towers in downtown Chicago.

My recollection is that in the Vic Mic lounge (good times in there  ;D)there was a photo of Victor McCormick in front of the drawing of what was to be the McCormick Hall twin towers, with the second being where the AMU is.  I do not remember if the building was fully circular.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
They don't ask about smoking any more now that it is banned inside the building.

Q: Do you smoke after sex?

A: I don't know. I have never checked.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
Crazy to me that an 18 year old kid would request an all-male dorm.

You WANT to be in an all-male dorm? nh?

Dick Strong Tower has a nice ring to it...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
The best loft ever was one custom-built for Schroeder by a couple of buddies of mine.  It fit perfectly around the sides of the entire room, and the ladder was operated by a switch and went up and down like a drawbridge.  For the piece de resistance, they had a model train that ran around the perimeter.

Before you ask, yes, one of them was an electrical engineer, and yes, they were nerds.

Must been one of those 6th floor hairy wet cats.

4everwarriors

• All American
I moved into McCormick when it opened. Didn'the have  rats or roaches so we were happy. However, a circular building makes no sense at all  and was it noisey. Just surprised that MU has a spare $100M to blow on a  new building.

Left over from Crean's soccer stadium donation, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean Sucks Hall, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Something tells me they won't name it after a living Jesuit.  If Wild passes before completion (I have no idea what his health situation is) I think Wild Hall makes a ton of sense, given his contributions to the university.

If they choose to give each tower its own name, they can't ignore Father Naus as the namesake of the other tower.  The man spent like 40 years at Marquette, many of those in a residence hall.  I've been hoping since he passed that he would get some recognition on campus.

Wild-Naus Hall !?!  perfect

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
If I see one more former RA make some BS comment on social media like 'Want to demolish it? Remove the RAs for a weekend!' I'm going to lose it.

Are RAs at every school just as conceited, arrogant, bigheaded, immodest, know-it-all, overbearing, pompous, smug, stuck up, swollen-headed, and vainglorious as Marquette RAs were/are? At least from 04-08?

This excludes are particular radio producer that happened to be a RA.

You got real close before that last line. Real close.

You had great RA's! Give them some credit.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
I worked with TAMU those two years.  Hoping I'm one of the non-d-bags.

But you know who is d-bags?  People who destroy property, flood hallways, draw penises all over everything.  If you did that, it's no wonder your RAs hated you and it's no wonder the HD tried to make your college experience miserable.  Make a little noise, have a few small parties, be a reasonable human being, and no one bats an eye.

+23908390284938

Coleman

• All American
My recollection is that in the Vic Mic lounge (good times in there  ;D)there was a photo of Victor McCormick in front of the drawing of what was to be the McCormick Hall twin towers, with the second being where the AMU is.  I do not remember if the building was fully circular.

Da fuq is the Vic Mic lounge?

Coleman

• All American
Crazy to me that an 18 year old kid would request an all-male dorm.

You WANT to be in an all-male dorm? nh?

Dick Strong Tower has a nice ring to it...

Yeah idk I took a tour, everyone living there said it was amazing, and I drank the Kool Aid. I also had a high school girlfriend I was convinced I would marry so what good was chasing MU tail? Funny now that I think about it.

Again, thankful I ended up in McCormick

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:51:58 PM by Coleman »

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
Yeah idk I took a tour, everyone living there said it was amazing, and I drank the Kool Aid. I also had a high school girlfriend I was convinced I would marry so what good was chasing MU tail? Funny now that I think about it.

Living in OD was amazing and shaped in many ways who I am and the course of my life.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Da fuq is the Vic Mic lounge?

The lounge down the hall to the right of the entrance and elevators.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
12 was certainly a study floor back in the day.

It was in 87-88 when I lived there, too, but I'm not sure how much actual studying got done. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

good thing they don't use the last name first when naming dorms der hein'a.  you'd have to beat the girls back with a stick from getting in there, although a recent international study has shown that size(not of the dorms) only matters somewhat.  i'm sure ya'll know how the rest of the story goes
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
From what I remember,  10 11 and 12 were study floors one could request.   I was on the 11th floor back in 1983.  Now I feel old.....  Can't believe the place went co-ed or did it?

9 was study floor also.  At least it was in 1987.

🏀

• All American
You got real close before that last line. Real close.

You had great RA's! Give them some credit.

I didn't actually have you though, we merely adopted you and ignored our regularly assigned RA.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
9th floor was not a study floor in 1996.

I've got 5 bones towards Wild Hall.

Coleman

• All American
Hearing "study floor" and "McCormick" in the same sentence makes me laugh.

warriorchick

• All American
So the press release said that freshmen and sophomores are going to be in that building.

I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that they will move the Honors program from Straz to here, and those will be the only freshmen that live there.  If I were MU, there would be no way I would let rando frosh move in and trash a brand new building.

So, what's going to be the new freshman party dorm?  Carpenter? Schroeder?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:20:25 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
So the press release said that freshmen and sophomores are going to be in that building.

I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that they will move the Honors program from Straz to here, and those will be the only freshmen that live there.  If I were MU, there would be no way I would let rando frosh move in and trash a brand new building.

So, what's going to be the new freshman party dorm?  Carpenter? Schroeder?

Schroeder has always been sophs, would be surprised if it went frosh. If the new building is basically replacing the population of Straz (honors frosh and sophs), I would expect that Straz will become frosh...along with Abbottsford, Carpenter, Cobeen and O'Donnell. Mashuda, Carpenter (I believe Carpenter has always been a good mix of frosh/soph), Schroeder (and new dorm) would be the sophs dorms.

Just a guess.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
One thing I never realized until I left Marquette and started working for other universities is how rare the sophomore live on requirement is. It is also uncommon for universities to not allow juniors or seniors to live on campus. It is also uncommon to have freshman only and sophomore only buidlings. Marquette residence life is very unique. I wonder if some of those things will start to change as they move forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
One thing I never realized until I left Marquette and started working for other universities is how rare the sophomore live on requirement is. It is also uncommon for universities to not allow juniors or seniors to live on campus. It is also uncommon to have freshman only and sophomore only buidlings. Marquette residence life is very unique. I wonder if some of those things will start to change as they move forward.

Does Marquette still have co-ed floors?  That is also pretty unique these days.