[Today at 11:59:50 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69566 times)

jsglow

• All American
Wasn't my first choice either. I picked South Hall...short-lived, all boys dorm (I think it was only a dorm for 3 or 4 years from like 2003-2007, then converted to apartments) of about 100 guys with ensuite bathrooms right by the rec center. Loved the location near the rec center and having my own crapter.

Ended up at McCormick and thankful I did.

Wow.  I've never heard of it.  Located?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
Wow.  I've never heard of it.  Located?

525 N 17th.  Back side of the rec center near the Clybourn intersection.  Now Studio 523, one of Schulhof's apartment buildings.  I was part of the last freshman class to live there in 2005-2006.  Which (not coincidentally) was also the year Abbotsford opened to underclassmen.

Class71

• All American
I moved into McCormick when it opened. Didn'the have  rats or roaches so we were happy. However, a circular building makes no sense at all  and was it noisey. Just surprised that MU has a spare $100M to blow on a  new building.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

warriorchick

• All American
I moved into McCormick when it opened. Didn'the have  rats or roaches so we were happy. However, a circular building makes no sense at all  and was it noisey. Just surprised that MU has a spare $100M to blow on a  new building.

My guess is that they have crunched the numbers and have determined they can cash flow with what they can charge the students.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
My guess is that they have crunched the numbers and have determined they can cash flow with what they can charge the students.

Could also probably re-direct some endowment earnings (not principle, obviously)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Could also probably re-direct some endowment earnings (not principle, obviously)

Interest rates are low...finance the sumbitch
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American

What they're doing for part of it.

warriorchick

• All American
I am sure it's not too late to donate enough money to get it named after you.

Scoop Hall, anyone?
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
525 N 17th.  Back side of the rec center near the Clybourn intersection.  Now Studio 523, one of Schulhof's apartment buildings.  I was part of the last freshman class to live there in 2005-2006.  Which (not coincidentally) was also the year Abbotsford opened to underclassmen.

Funny, I lived in Studio 523 my junior year in 13-14

RJax55

• All American

Plus, it is a great way to keep your name alive... Vic McCormick had a hell of a run.

warriorchick

• All American
Plus, it is a great way to keep your name alive... Vic McCormick had a hell of a run.

Plan B - name it after Father Wild.

It would be the most awesomely-named dormitory on the planet.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American

Ha, the Bob Wild dorm. Sounds like something out of animal house.

warriorchick

• All American
Ha, the Bob Wild dorm. Sounds like something out of animal house.

Better yet, just plain old Wild Hall.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American

Yeah they are bonding it against future housing payments.  Pretty much what every organization does.

barfolomew

• All American

Scoop Hall, anyone?

Heck, since the mods are paying, let's go all out.
Rename it every year with the winner of the meme tournament.

I want my kids staying in Walking Boot Hall freshman year, and 5 Years to Evaluate a Hire Hall sophomore year.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

warriorchick

• All American
Heck, since the mods are paying, let's go all out.
Rename it every year with the winner of the meme tournament.

I want my kids staying in Walking Boot Hall freshman year, and 5 Years to Evaluate a Hire Hall sophomore year.

And who wouldn't want to live in It's Happening! Hall?
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Better yet, just plain old Wild Hall.

I always liked Wild Tower.

Side note, at my grad institution, there was a residence hall called Weed Hall. They were just asking for it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

djorling

• Walk-On
My recollection, such as it is now (Arts 68, Law '71), was that McCormick was originally designed to be a full circle.  However, there was an apartment building on the NE corner of 16th and Wisconsin, and the owner refused to sell.  So the building was redesigned to build around it, thus its current shape.  There were plans, I believe, to build a twin tower just north of McCormick, which never materialized.

Circular buildings were something of a rage in those days, for example the Pfister Hotel and several circular buildings in north Milwaukee. And of course those twin towers in downtown Chicago.

mu-rara

• All American
Better yet, just plain old Wild Bob Wild Hall.
FIFY

GGGG

• All American
My recollection, such as it is now (Arts 68, Law '71), was that McCormick was originally designed to be a full circle.  However, there was an apartment building on the NE corner of 16th and Wisconsin, and the owner refused to sell.

That had to have been one small apartment building.

Skitch

• All American
When did freshmen start getting to request where they lived? I feel like I was only asked about a quiet room and smoker/nonsmoker.

GGGG

• All American
When did freshmen start getting to request where they lived? I feel like I was only asked about a quiet room and smoker/nonsmoker.

I got to put a preference down in 1986. 

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
From what I remember,  10 11 and 12 were study floors one could request.   I was on the 11th floor back in 1983.  Now I feel old.....  Can't believe the place went co-ed or did it?

SaveOD238

• All American

Something tells me they won't name it after a living Jesuit.  If Wild passes before completion (I have no idea what his health situation is) I think Wild Hall makes a ton of sense, given his contributions to the university.

If they choose to give each tower its own name, they can't ignore Father Naus as the namesake of the other tower.  The man spent like 40 years at Marquette, many of those in a residence hall.  I've been hoping since he passed that he would get some recognition on campus.

jsglow

• All American
From what I remember,  10 11 and 12 were study floors one could request.   I was on the 11th floor back in 1983.  Now I feel old.....  Can't believe the place went co-ed or did it?

12 was certainly a study floor back in the day.