[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69599 times)

Sharpie

• Team Captain
5th floor (I think) - 03-04. Great memories. RIP.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
How 'bout a 20 ft. fence surroundin' campus, hey?

I am not pro fence as I think that would project something different than closing off Wisconsin avenue.  Fordham is in a pretty bad neighborhood and needs one. We can live without the fence .  They have a nice fence at High Point University which is kind of like a Las Vegas resort style university in a bad neighborhood.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
They have a nice fence at High Point University which is kind of like a Las Vegas resort style university in a bad neighborhood.

Visited High Point last fall when dropping my son off nearby...it's an "interesting" place.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Visited High Point last fall when dropping my son off nearby...it's an "interesting" place.

For some reason from what I've heard, it's become a trendy college pick for students from Southern New England lately. 

Knight Commission

• All American
I am not pro fence as I think that would project something different than closing off Wisconsin avenue.  Fordham is in a pretty bad neighborhood and needs one. We can live without the fence .  They have a nice fence at High Point University which is kind of like a Las Vegas resort style university in a bad neighborhood.

Seton Hall has one.

StillAWarrior

• All American
For some reason from what I've heard, it's become a trendy college pick for students from Southern New England lately.

Having visited, I have few doubts why it's a trendy pick for students.  Having visited (and researched), I wonder a bit about why it's a trendy pick for their parents.  Beautiful campus, though.  I'll give them that.  I found it vaguely unsettling in a strange way.  Made me think it should be renamed Stepford University.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
Seton Hall has one.

So does SLU.  But Marquette made a conscious decision not to put up a fence.  They want to be part of the community, not to wall themselves off from it.

And closing off Wisconsin Avenue is a horrible idea.  Imagine what the crime rate would be if the bad guys knew the closest police car (or any traffic/witnesses, for that matter) was always at least 2 blocks away.
Have some patience, FFS.

79Warrior

• All American
How 'bout a 20 ft. fence surroundin' campus, hey?

Trump can pitch in?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Now you're talking Heisy! 

Like selling bricks from the 'Lanche.

When MU does this to McCormick, it will be a good day.

It might even raise the schools US news ranking!

The only downside is if they screw it up

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
517. I was lucky because I submitted my paperwork later than was suggested to get first choice, but still managed to sneak in somehow.

My roommate and I took the doors off our closets and laid them across our bunks. On one side was the futon and the other was the tv and stereo, with our mattresses on the floor. We had essentially lofted our living room. Tour guides used to stop by all the time to show prospective students that even though the room was small, one could still get creative with use of space.

Also, not to derail the thread, but I was there for about ten minutes when I first heard the use of "bubbler" and I knew life would never be the same.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jsglow

• All American
517. I was lucky because I submitted my paperwork later than was suggested to get first choice, but still managed to sneak in somehow.

My roommate and I took the doors off our closets and laid them across our bunks. On one side was the futon and the other was the tv and stereo, with our mattresses on the floor. We had essentially lofted our living room. Tour guides used to stop by all the time to show prospective students that even though the room was small, one could still get creative with use of space.

Also, not to derail the thread, but I was there for about ten minutes when I first heard the use of "bubbler" and I knew life would never be the same.

Interesting technique ahead of it's time.  I'm not sure when lofting became the norm in essentially all dorms but it certainly utilizes the available space much better.  I remember designing a Cobeen quad for my daughter many years ago that was quite efficient.  Unfortunately, the roommates on the other side who had a slightly less attractive room reconfigured the whole thing while she was gone on a service trip in Spring.  It was awful, but she survived the final 5-6 weeks.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
We putting athletes in here because recruiting is so bad....aiinnaa?

Coleman

• All American

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American

The best loft ever was one custom-built for Schroeder by a couple of buddies of mine.  It fit perfectly around the sides of the entire room, and the ladder was operated by a switch and went up and down like a drawbridge.  For the piece de resistance, they had a model train that ran around the perimeter.

Before you ask, yes, one of them was an electrical engineer, and yes, they were nerds.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:50:05 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
The best loft ever was one custom-built for Schroeder by a couple of buddies of mine.  It fit perfectly around the sides of the entire room, and the ladder was operated by a switch and went up and down like a drawbridge.  For the piece de resistance, they had a model train that ran around the circumference.

Before you ask, yes, one of them was an electrical engineer, and yes, they were nerds.

I just said daaang out loud, like Joe Dirt.

Signature:

Slim

• All American
1126 77-78
My daughter stayed there 2010-11.

Some of my best friends, that I still talk to weekly, were in rooms 1121, 1123, 1124. and 1125.

McCormick was a huge reason I love Marquette - I hate to see it go.

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
Was housed elsewhere but I do remeber Earl tatum shooting hoops outside constantly and of course many barforama's when I went to parties there. Too much free beer.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I find it interesting how McCormick was most of your first choices. I think it was my 3rd and I still got stuck there.

Coleman

• All American
I find it interesting how McCormick was most of your first choices. I think it was my 3rd and I still got stuck there.

Wasn't my first choice either. I picked South Hall...short-lived, all boys dorm (I think it was only a dorm for 3 or 4 years from like 2003-2007, then converted to apartments) of about 100 guys with ensuite bathrooms right by the rec center. Loved the location near the rec center and having my own crapter.

Ended up at McCormick and thankful I did.

RJax55

• All American

3rd choice as well. However, I knew that it was extremely unlikely that I would get my top choices, so essentially I picked it.

I'm sad to read of its demise, though it is a complete crap hole.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
It was my first choice, mostly because it was co-ed and I wasn't interested in staying in a building only filled with dudes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
It was my first choice, mostly because it was co-ed and I wasn't interested in staying in a building only filled with dudes.

I didn't even put OD on my list it was Abbotsford, Masuda, McCormick double, McCormick triple.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I didn't even put OD on my list it was Abbotsford, Masuda, McCormick double, McCormick triple.

OD wasn't on my list either. Spent my freshmen year in Abbottsford. When I became an RA, I wasn't given a choice and was placed in OD. Two of the best years of my life. Would have never expected it, but the camaraderie and brotherhood in that hall made it a better experience than any other hall on campus. Even if we had to share unnatural carnal knowledge*ng pink tiled bathrooms.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
McCormick was my first choice, Carpenter was my last. Ended up there anyway.