[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69502 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
If I see one more former RA make some BS comment on social media like 'Want to demolish it? Remove the RAs for a weekend!' I'm going to lose it.

Are RAs at every school just as conceited, arrogant, bigheaded, immodest, know-it-all, overbearing, pompous, smug, stuck up, swollen-headed, and vainglorious as Marquette RAs were/are? At least from 04-08?

This excludes are particular radio producer that happened to be a RA.

I thought most of my RAs at Marquette were fine...but then again I didn't cause too much trouble.  My RA first semester freshman year ('87) was among a group that got fired early in the year and all got great fraternity style sweatshirts - "XRA".  My RA Junior year at Mashuda was one of my friends from my McCormick floor -- great guy.  Honestly have no recollection of who my RA at West was sophomore year, so he must have been pretty good.

It's coming full circle, though...my son is going to be an RA next year.  I think he'll be decent and pretty much leave people alone.  I'm just happy to be saving $7000.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jay Bee

• All American
Almost all RA's are complete dorkbaits.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
Honestly, I hope they keep most of that space green. It would go a long way in making MU feel more like a traditional college campus. Continue building on the east and west ends of campus to expand the campus footprint and put in as much green space in the middle as possible. That seems to be the direction.

I think that's the plan for now, especially between 16th and the 14th walkway.  Personally, I might move the Fr. Marquette statue over there building an appropriate approach and sitting area.  Not sure the existing sculpture is quite big enough but you get my point.

🏀

• All American
First year, probably.  Second year, as TAMU said, mellowed me out

You just broke free of that Res Life brainwashing, good for you.

🏀

• All American
I think that's the plan for now, especially between 16th and the 14th walkway.  Personally, I might move the Fr. Marquette statue over there building an appropriate approach and sitting area.  Not sure the existing sculpture is quite big enough but you get my point.

The University Architect was quoted saying 'wellness and fitness center'. BOO.

🏀

• All American

Seriously though, I never destroyed property, generally was respectful of other folks, just good old-fashioned harmless college shenanigans that the hall staff was bent on interrupting.

Examples:

-Random room raids the minute after girls are no longer allowed on your floor (1 am)

-Seeing you with a red cup in the hallway and then searching your room for alcohol and forcing you to dump out 2 perfectly good handles of $10 whiskey, even though said red cup was filled with water.

-Demanding that you attend the official sober events like Bingo at the Annex

-Acting like you have some sort of real authority instead of seeing yourself as a resource for residents

Not all RAs were like this, but there seemed to be a string of them during my years at MU (2004-2008). I'm sure it was because the Hall Directors were generally the least fun human beings ever born, and they made the hiring decisions.

All of this and more. Seemed like the RAs were looking more to get you than to look out for you, Cura Personalis.

The Hall Director at Mashuda had to be the biggest crapstain I've ever run across to this day.

Eye

• All American
3rd floor, 89-90.
GO WARRIORS!

jficke13

• All American
05-06, 913.

And, fwiw, my freshman year RA is about to be my best man, so some of them are decent.

Coleman

• All American
All of this and more. Seemed like the RAs were looking more to get you than to look out for you, Cura Personalis.

The Hall Director at Mashuda had to be the biggest crapstain I've ever run across to this day.

My hall director asked what I wanted to do after graduation (I told her grad school) and then proceeded to tell me that she could tell I would never get accepted to grad school, because I drank.

Of course, I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, with a double major and a minor from MU and got a full-ride graduate fellowship. All while increasing my alcohol consumption and general level of tomfoolery each year while cruising through my studies at MU.

I'm sure there were lots of good RAs back in the 70s and 80s, and even some good ones once in a while now. But there seems to have been an attitude that has pervaded Residence Life that drinking is truly evil. It is as annoying and self-righteous as anything I ever encountered.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:44:20 AM by Coleman »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9

Maybe they can close Wisconsin Avenue!  Wouldn't that be a great idea?  I bet that would go over well!!!
I was and am  pro closing Wisconsin Avenue. Would up our ranking in US News.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
How 'bout a 20 ft. fence surroundin' campus, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
My hall director asked what I wanted to do after graduation (I told her grad school) and then proceeded to tell me that she could tell I would never get accepted to grad school, because I drank.

Of course, I graduated summa cum laude with a double major and a minor from MU and got a full graduate fellowship. All while increasing my alcohol consumption and general level of tomfoolery each year at MU.

I'm sure there were lots of good RAs back in the 70s and 80s, and even some good ones once in a while now. But there seems to have been an attitude that has pervaded Residence Life that drinking is truly evil. It is as annoying and self-righteous as anything I ever encountered.

HA!

I had to write a letter as an apology once about how bad drinking is and how my life would be effected. It was not that at all, but instead highlighted the most notorious, successful drinkers in history. Never got any feedback. I even invited the person reading the letter to join me for a beer on my 21st birthday.

The C-U-N-T at Carpenter confiscated a Coors Light sign when I was at class and then proceeded to break it. Of course, it wasn't Res Life's responsibility.

thekahoona

• Starter
You know what else looks dated? The Star Spangled Banner. The Liberty Bell. The Holy Sepulchre. The Coliseum. Should we tear these all down in the name of shiny new things? Where is Marquette's sense of heritage? Sense of the holy?

Some things are worth saving

I always thought it looked like it belonged in Chicago - between Clybourn Ave and Halsted Street on the north, North Larrabee Street on the west, Chicago Avenue on the south, Hudson Street on the east. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green_Homes

Coleman

• All American

I had to write a letter as an apology once about how bad drinking is and how my life would be effected. It was not that at all, but instead highlighted the most notorious, successful drinkers in history. Never got any feedback. I even invited the person reading the letter to join me for a beer on my 21st birthday.

What a great idea. I wish I would have thought of this. I had to write similar letters and just lied through my teeth about how I'd never do it again. I respect your integrity.

dgies9156

• All American
I was an RA in OD back in the day. I've met my fair share of high and might d-bag RAs. But to be honest, I've met my fair share of high and mighty d-bag non-RAs. Pretty much encountered them at the same rate among the two sides. If anything, my time as an RA mellowed me out. I like to think I wasn't one of the d-bags. Hey Bagpiping Boxer, how'd I do?

One of my McCormick RAs is now the Provost at Loyola University of Chicago.

Argument that was made to us was "if you're going to do _____, be discrete!"

drbchilds

• Starter
1987-1988
Room 1210

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
One of my McCormick RAs is now the Provost at Loyola University of Chicago.

Argument that was made to us was "if you're going to do _____, be discrete!"

Seriously. That's what most people didn't understand. Most RAs are desperately trying to avoid finding any rule violations. Its a ton of pain in the ass paperwork. Just don't break a rule so obviously that if the RA doesn't address it, they get in trouble. And don't destroy property or be a douchebag in general. Follow those guidelines and a vast majority of RAs will get along with you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
I hear you on this one. I've been looking at schools with my son (including MU), and have been somewhat disappointed at how MU compares in terms of how nice the facilities and campuses are at some of these schools (e.g. SLU, Dayton, Xavier). Dorms, cafeterias and rec centers have been so impressive. As much as I have great memories from McCormick, MU does need to upgrade some of the facilities to stay current and competitive. I know several kids who in the past five years who were deciding between SLU, MU and Dayton, and most chose SLU or Dayton. This stung a bit and I wondered why...having seen some of the campuses, and significantly the aid/scholarships available, I can understand the trend somewhat, though my strong bias is still towards MU.

The green space on campus is a huge selling point. It is water well under the bridge at this point, but it would have been a game changer had the vote gone through as anticipated on closing Wis Ave years ago.

That is why they are doing this.  The upgrades to campus over the last 15 years have been amazing - engineering, dentistry, law, library, the boulevards, the future indoor lax/soccer thing, etc.  The obvious holes are the Rec Center, primary freshman dorm, and business.  I would bet anything that the next big announcements will include a new rec center and a new business school.

bork

• Scholarship Player
The University Architect was quoted saying 'wellness and fitness center'. BOO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2016/05/marquette-university-to-build-96-million-dormitory.html

Master planning efforts thus far have shown that a wellness and fitness center could be the best use of that site, said Marquette University architect Lora Strigens. Such a center would be holistic, offering spiritual and mental guidance in addition to fitness options such as a gym, she said.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Room 515. Future wife was in 1216.  Sign of the times though, halls are a big draw for students and McCormick was a pit then and a pit now, albeit a pit with personality.  I'm sure anyone who lived there in the 90's will never forget Linda and Norm in the cafeteria. The fact Linda could remember everyone's name was amazing. Such a sweet woman!

Bittersweet times with O'Donnell being (potentially) shuttered as well. I was an RA there as a sophomore. I get what people are saying about RA's, my HD actually told us to be "Little Hitlers" to start the year. Eventually I just said to hell with that and just told residents "don't be stupid" and helped them sneak girls in overnight. I did the job for free room and board and a single room, I admitted that to my HD. I lasted one year.

I remember being so jacked when I got my McCormick room assignment during the summer.  Later on, my buddies and I used to do sports trivia every Thursday back at home during the summer between HS and MU and the guy who ran it selected us to be in a tournament. I said "sorry, I'm going to college next week, Marquette University."  He exclaimed "that's where I wanted to go, they have that giant keg dorm!  But when I was on a tour with my parents the elevator door opened and these guys got off with a keg so my mom vetoed it." He comped our dinner that night.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:15:34 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2016/05/marquette-university-to-build-96-million-dormitory.html

Agree that MU needs a new wellness center. Disagree that that would be the best site for it. Really hope that is left as open space.

They should just completely renovate the existing rec center. Close it down over a summer, and do the rest in phases. That is a perfect location for a wellness center. 

real chili 83

• All American
Honestly, I hope they keep most of that space green.

and put in as much green space in the middle as possible. That seems to be the direction.

Schroeder Beach when the sun would come out and temps get to 60.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Room 515. Future wife was in 1216.  Sign of the times though, halls are a big draw for students and McCormick was a pit then and a pit now, albeit a pit with personality.  I'm sure anyone who lived there in the 90's will never forget Linda and Norm in the cafeteria. The fact Linda could remember everyone's name was amazing. Such a sweet woman!

Bittersweet times with O'Donnell being (potentially) shuttered as well. I was an RA there as a sophomore. I get what people are saying about RA's, my HD actually told us to be "Little Hitlers" to start the year. Eventually I just said to hell with that and just told residents "don't be stupid" and helped them sneak girls in overnight.

I remember being so jacked when I got my McCormick room assignment during the summer.  Later on, my buddies and I used to do sports trivia every Thursday back at home during the summer between HS and MU and the guy who ran it selected us to be in a tournament. I said "sorry, I'm going to college next week, Marquette University."  He exclaimed "that's where I wanted to go, they have that giant keg dorm!  But when I was on a tour with my parents the elevator door opened and these guys got off with a keg so my mom vetoed it." He comped our dinner that night.

Linda was the best!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Yeah, I was joking, but seriously, McCormick is probably the most cheaply-built building on campus.  Schroeder is made out of brick and granite.  McCormick looks like it was made out of flattened 12-pack cartons.  It's one of those buildings that looks kinda cool when it was first built, but quickly turns into a piece of crap - like the Thompson Center in downtown Chicago.

I think the building is held together with bong resin and dried semen....

mu-rara

• All American
HA!

The C-U-N-T at Carpenter confiscated a Coors Light sign when I was at class and then proceeded to break it. Of course, it wasn't Res Life's responsibility.
  Is it called Residence Life now?  We called it ORAL...Office of Residence Life,  back in the olden days.  For good reason.