[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Kalif Young to visit Marquette this week  (Read 52104 times)

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Kalif Young to visit Marquette this week
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »
Per Jon Rothstein: "Providence freshman Quadree Smith will transfer, per release. Three years of eligibility remaining. #pcbb"

Smith is listed as a center on their roster. Opens another spot if Bentl returns.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
Per Jon Rothstein: "Providence freshman Quadree Smith will transfer, per release. Three years of eligibility remaining. #pcbb"

Smith is listed as a center on their roster. Opens another spot if Bentl returns.

interesting timing with Kalif visit upcoming. Lets hope his visit to MU blows him away and doesn't need the Providence visit. He has already taken an unofficial to PROV

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
interesting timing with Kalif visit upcoming. Lets hope his visit to MU blows him away and doesn't need the Providence visit. He has already taken an unofficial to PROV

Could be to clear a spot for this guy who is currently visiting Providence, and Mark Miller recently picked him to Providence. Not necessarily for Kalif.

http://247sports.com/Player/Khalea-Turner-24088

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
Could be to clear a spot for this guy who is currently visiting Providence, and Mark Miller recently picked him to Providence. Not necessarily for Kalif.

He got Cooled?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
Pulling a page from Louisville's book, I see.
Wide open from the corner...bottoms!
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »

Young seems to be motivated heavily by playing time. Its hard to see him committing to Providence if they bring in a higher rated PF the same year as him, but you never know. Hopefully Mr. Turner loves his Providence experience so much that he makes Mr. Young's decision very easy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 05:46:29 PM »

Bolted like a bat outta hell, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxbnPcnaiW4

Full game of Young. He's #13 in black. I really like his game, honestly. Disclaimer: I only watched the first half.

Thank You for posting this video. It is very helpful to watch a full game and not highlights and they are playing a quality opponent.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Quadree Smith was on BIG boy.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
I think Kalif can be an outstanding player for Marquette!  Hope he joins the team tonight!

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
I want to be Forever Young.  What about you?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
Canadian big man Kalif Young will likely choose between Big East schools Marquette and Providence within the next couple of weeks, his father told SNY.tv on Wednesday.

"Essentially right now, he's pretty well down to two schools," Tony Young said by phone from Toronto. "So it's between Marquette and Providence."

Tony said many other BCS schools have called to express interest but it's unlikely Kalif will consider them seriously.

"There's a lot of big schools that have been after him," he said. "We're getting calls from Oklahoma, Purdue, Vanderbilt, all these other schools....He's like, 'Nope, nope, nope.' He's kind of stuck with [what he has]."
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/canadian-big-man-kalif-young-likely-to-choose-between-marquette-providence/176151812

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
Fatness... was Hoping we would hear the good news today.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
Fatness... was Hoping we would hear the good news today.

Day is not over, but who does not like to be wined and dined,  I would have taken all 5 visits, one being Louisville, for a happy ending!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
Canadian big man Kalif Young will likely choose between Big East schools Marquette and Providence within the next couple of weeks, his father told SNY.tv on Wednesday.

"Essentially right now, he's pretty well down to two schools," Tony Young said by phone from Toronto. "So it's between Marquette and Providence."

Tony said many other BCS schools have called to express interest but it's unlikely Kalif will consider them seriously.

"There's a lot of big schools that have been after him," he said. "We're getting calls from Oklahoma, Purdue, Vanderbilt, all these other schools....He's like, 'Nope, nope, nope.' He's kind of stuck with [what he has]."
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/canadian-big-man-kalif-young-likely-to-choose-between-marquette-providence/176151812

Not sure I love the choice of the word "stuck," but I get what he means.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
Day is not over, but who does not like to be wined and dined,  I would have taken all 5 visits, one being Louisville, for a happy ending!
CLAP, CLAP, CLAP

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
I think he means "stuck" as a term of loyalty (ie, I'm sticking with these guys because they have been loyal) versus "between a rock and a hard place."

The fact that the quote was cut off and paraphrased doesn't help.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
I think he means "stuck" as a term of loyalty (ie, I'm sticking with these guys because they have been loyal) versus "between a rock and a hard place."

I believe you are correct, sir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »

Agreed. It's a "stick to your guns" type thing. or "dance with the date that brought you."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »
The fact that Kalif's father mentioned Marquette before Providence means we're the clear favorite, ay?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
The fact that Kalif's father mentioned Marquette before Providence means we're the clear favorite, ay?

Or he speaks alphabetically.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
Any word from campus yet? Has he signed on the dotted line to get Comedy Sportz to campus? BD are you still sweeping the gym?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Any word from campus yet? Has he signed on the dotted line to get Comedy Sportz to campus? BD are you still sweeping the gym?

Zags tweeted out that Kalifs father said the vist went good and he liked the program. And is visiting Providence on the weekend of May 14th still.

sorry don't have link on me right now

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Zags tweeted out that Kalifs father said the vist went good and he liked the program. And is visiting Providence on the weekend of May 14th still.

sorry don't have link on me right now

I don't think he confirmed he was visiting Providence, just that it was the original plan. He quoted what the father said, ended the quote then said Providence 5/14.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
I don't think he confirmed he was visiting Providence, just that it was the original plan. He quoted what the father said, ended the quote then said Providence 5/14.

I didn't want to pull a Heisey and paste the entire story, from the link above He is tentatively set to visit Providence the weekend of May 14 but his father is quoted as saying:

"They obviously need big men," Tony said. "Kalif went there for an unofficial visit. I think he felt very comfortable with the connection with [head coach Ed] Cooley and Jeff Battle. I think he likes the fact what they've done in terms of their development with [Kris] Dunn and [Ben] Bentil, I think that impressed him."

After the Providence visit, Young will likely decide.

"Unless something else comes up that he feels he wants to go out and visit, that will be a last minute visit," Tony said. "These are his only two visits. He obviously has five. He still has three other ones if he wants to take them. "But the idea would be after Providence, he comes home and we regroup, see what he's feeling and then he'd put it out there."

and this is a part I like, granted it's from his father but: Added Tony: "He's quick on his feet for his size. He's a killer on the boards. He can post. He can handle the ball for a big man. Everyone tells me he has a great IQ on the court and he has great passing ability. One person says he passes the basketball like a football."

As for his skillset, Orangeville Prep coach Larry Blunt previously told SNY.tv: "Kalif is a very skilled lefty with college strength already. He has incredible feel for the game and can shoot the ball consistently from 17 feet in, and the pick-and-pop 3. You can throw the ball to Kalif on the block and not only can he score, but he is an exceptional passer. He can hedge on ball screens and even switch out on guards in late-shot clock situations. He's a great kid with a great family.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:36:18 PM by Waldo Jeffers »