'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Howard  (Read 6800 times)

MuMark

• All American

GGGG

• All American
Re: Howard
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »
Rowsey, Hauser, Howard, Reinhardt...

Wojo obviously understands the problem.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
One of them, at least.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »
I have been on this for a few years now (and I know I'm not the only one).

You simply cannot win in college basketball today (or pro basketball, for that matter) if, game after game after game, you lose the 3-point battle by 15 or 21 or 30 points.

Yes, Henry's skills and presence made us a better team last season, but so did only getting beaten by about 5 points per game in the 3-point battle - way better than we had been doing.

Gotta take 3s and gotta make 3s. That's basketball today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
Hopefully he shoots better from 3 for us next year then last years winner.

Isaiah Briscoe:  2015-16 3 pt% of 13.5% for Kentucky.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »

You simply cannot win in college basketball today (or pro basketball, for that matter) if, game after game after game, you lose the 3-point battle by 15 or 21 or 30 points.

Yes, Henry's skills and presence made us a better team last season, but so did only getting beaten by about 5 points per game in the 3-point battle - way better than we had been doing.

For what it's worth, it would seem that Wojo would be on that mindset from his time at Duke.  If you check on the yearly stats for Duke on KenPom, the Blue Devils almost always have a very high percentage of 3s taken as part of their offense as well as a high percentage of made 3s, too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:36:19 PM by Brewtown Andy »
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Norm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:45:25 PM »
For what it's worth, it would seem that Wojo would be on that mindset from his time at Duke.  If you check on the yearly stats for Duke on KenPom, the Blue Devils are almost always have a very high percentage of 3s taken as part of their offense as well as a high percentage of made 3s, too.
Duke also has a roster full of McDonald All-Americans which helps with those percentages.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »
Hopefully he shoots better from 3 for us next year then last years winner.

Isaiah Briscoe:  2015-16 3 pt% of 13.5% for Kentucky.
There is a world of difference in shooting threes in a game vs. shooting threes in a three point contest. Also Howard,s size gives him less time to shoot a three in a game than a bigger player would have.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
There is a world of difference in shooting threes in a game vs. shooting threes in a three point contest. Also Howard,s size gives him less time to shoot a three in a game than a bigger player would have.
Jeez, are you a buzzkill.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »

Yes, you have been on this and you were wrong and you're still wrong. You do not "gotta take 3s." That's patently false.

Tourney #1 seeds this year:
UNC - #339 of 351 teams in 3FGA/FGA at 26.7%
Virginia - #322; 28.4%
Kansas - #238; 32.8%
Oregon - #205; 34.3%

All four of the #1 seeds this year had successful seasons without taking a lot of three pointers. Further, UNC (32.7%) and Oregon (34.4%) didn't make a ton of the few they took. (MU's % was 33.9% for the year.)

3-pointers are a great equalizer for lesser teams. But you can be (as evidenced above) an excellent team without taking a lot of 3-pointers in today's game.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
Yes, you have been on this and you were wrong and you're still wrong. You do not "gotta take 3s." That's patently false.

Tourney #1 seeds this year:
UNC - #339 of 351 teams in 3FGA/FGA at 26.7%
Virginia - #322; 28.4%
Kansas - #238; 32.8%
Oregon - #205; 34.3%

All four of the #1 seeds this year had successful seasons without taking a lot of three pointers. Further, UNC (32.7%) and Oregon (34.4%) didn't make a ton of the few they took. (MU's % was 33.9% for the year.)

3-pointers are a great equalizer for lesser teams. But you can be (as evidenced above) an excellent team without taking a lot of 3-pointers in today's game.

Well, your stats certainly "in-your-faced" me. I have to admit that. Plus, when we were going S16-S16-E8, we certainly weren't a good 3-point shooting team IIRC.

So it must be more of an eye-test thing for me. Or maybe I deep down think we need such an "equalizer." Or maybe I'm just off my rocker.

I'll allow that any or all of those could be true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
Well, your stats certainly "in-your-faced" me. I have to admit that. Plus, when we were going S16-S16-E8, we certainly weren't a good 3-point shooting team IIRC.

So it must be more of an eye-test thing for me. Or maybe I deep down think we need such an "equalizer." Or maybe I'm just off my rocker.

Yeah, Elite 8 year we were #304 in 3FGA/FGA at 29.6%.. very low. But, when we attempted it, we also missed a ton.. #323 in the nation at 29.6%. Jamil was the only one that had a solid year (36.0%).. even Jake Thomas shot only 27.8% in limited attempts. Junior, Mayo, Juan.. all in the 20's. Vander at 30.3%. Really bad.

HOWEVER, I will say.. if we're going to exceed expectations in 2016-17, 3-point shooting is certainly a path to potentially get there... and probably a very important one for this next season.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:53:47 PM »
3-point shooting by itself is no guarantee of anything. You also need to rebound, run the floor, defend, limit turnovers, set screens, etc.

But it certainly helps to have more weapons and more options on defense. The latest roster additions should give us that. I'm excited to see how this team plays together.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »
You can win any game, if you can make threes. However, as the saying goes live by the three and die by the three. All you have to do is look at the two Oklahoma/Villanova games. The first one, which Nova lost they made 4 threes out ot 20+ taken and lost the game. The next one they blew Oklahoma out of the arena. You need to do a lot of things to consistantly win.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »

You'll allow it?  How magnanimous!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:13:04 AM »
You can win any game, if you can make threes. However, as the saying goes live by the three and die by the three. All you have to do is look at the two Oklahoma/Villanova games. The first one, which Nova lost they made 4 threes out ot 20+ taken and lost the game. The next one they blew Oklahoma out of the arena. You need to do a lot of things to consistantly win.

Those games were funny because both teams used three pointers heavily. You are right, they went in complete opposite direction the second game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback