[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: So much for a world class basketball arena....  (Read 16688 times)

Benny B

• All American
So much for a world class basketball arena....
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:14:35 AM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/04/25/milwaukeebucks-arena-will-include-ice-rink-to-host.html

As suspected, the new Bucks arena is being designed to accommodate hockey.  Sure, there will be more/better suites, a shinier scoreboard and more retail options, but when it comes to actually watching the basketball game, it's essentially going to Bradley Center 2.0.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: So much for a world class basketball arena....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:21:41 AM »
Not at all pleased to hear this. First, we won't be getting a NHL team. That's pretty much a given. The Blackhawks may not have the opposition they did under Bill Wirtz, but I just don't see it happening. Second, it's not worth putting a sheet down for the chance to get one NHL exhibition every 2-3 years and a Frozen Four once per decade.

I don't get this at all. Really hope this doesn't mess with seat placement or sight lines. This venue should be built with basketball in mind.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
There are much better ways to design an arena these days to accommodate hockey so no, it's not going to be BC part 2.  For instance, Bankers Life Arena in Indianapolis was designed principally for basketball, but has moveable seating that reduces capacity for ice events.  *IF* the design for this new place is similar, it would be a foolish, revenue limiting option not to include the ability to have a full ice sheet.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
There are much better ways to design an arena these days to accommodate hockey so no, it's not going to be BC part 2.  For instance, Bankers Life Arena in Indianapolis was designed principally for basketball, but has moveable seating that reduces capacity for ice events.  *IF* the design for this new place is similar, it would be a foolish, revenue limiting option not to include the ability to have a full ice sheet.

The difference here is that Bankers Life isn't trying to attract a Frozen Four.  If that's the goal with the Bucks arena, maybe it won't be 2.0, but let's call it v1.5 instead.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
This is unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »
I guess I should never underestimate Scoops ability to complain about something without knowing all the details.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »
In the announcement I heard, there was no mention of ice hockey — they were talking about figure skating exhibitions and ice shows.

No idea how much money is involved, but seems logical to maximize revenue every way possible. Hopefully there's a better solution to arena seating than at the BC.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
The picture of the inside of the arena in the article alone looks way better than the BC so totally not BC 2.0.
Completely different configuration.  I'm sure there are much better ways to operate and layout an arena now versus 1989.  Good idea to put ice in now versus regretting not doing it later.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
It's has been said for months now the Bucks were looking to host events like the Frozen Four. They said it will be built for basketball and concerts. Nothing to worry about as a basketball fan in terms of angles and viewpoint if they host hockey.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »
As for Bankers Life Fieldhouse and unlike other multipurpose arenas, the arena was designed primarily for basketball. Nevertheless, the arena can accommodate an NHL-sized rink, but the seating capacity would be reduced to 12,300 for ice hockey, as the seating arrangement is asymmetrical. Many of the seats on one end of the arena have obstructed views, which results in poor sightlines for ice hockey.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
In the announcement I heard, there was no mention of ice hockey — they were talking about figure skating exhibitions and ice shows.

Well, that turns this into another conversation altogether. The opportunity to share in the magic and brilliance that is Brian Boitano or Johnny Weir makes this a very different discussion. Very different, indeed.

I know I speak for more than a few Scoopers in saying that sacrificing seating, sight lines, and ambiance for basketball must take a back seat to the elan, panache, and verve of Holiday on Ice. If the choice is sharing an evening with the poetry in motion of figure skating then I say we can officially close the book on any further discussion.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
Your homophobia is showing brah.

And as other posters have pointed out, this will make such a small difference it really isn't worth freaking out over.

Well, that turns this into another conversation altogether. The opportunity to share in the magic and brilliance that is Brian Boitano or Johnny Weir makes this a very different discussion. Very different, indeed.

I know I speak for more than a few Scoopers in saying that sacrificing seating, sight lines, and ambiance for basketball must take a back seat to the elan, panache, and verve of Holiday on Ice. If the choice is sharing an evening with the poetry in motion of figure skating then I say we can officially close the book on any further discussion.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »
If it's an arrangement like Bankers Life or Barclays, I'm OK with it.  But if they're trying to get a Frozen Four, I assume the NCAA wants someplace with a full hockey layout, which will screw things up for basketball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
Your homophobia is showing brah.

And as other posters have pointed out, this will make such a small difference it really isn't worth freaking out over.

Homophobia?

Hardly. Why would you think I don't thrill to the mystical union of Man, Steel, and Ice?

Perhaps it is your own latent fears expressing themselves??

Death on call

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »

No idea how much money is involved, but seems logical to maximize revenue every way possible. Hopefully there's a better solution to arena seating than at the BC.

"Rather, the Bucks owners are looking to host events such as the NCAA hockey tournament and its Frozen Four men’s championship or an NHL exhibition game at the new arena, Suski said."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
Homophobia?

Hardly. Why would you think I don't thrill to the mystical union of Man, Steel, and Ice?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sPFRZP4qY7I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sPFRZP4qY7I</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7UpRNOkb4hw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7UpRNOkb4hw</a>

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
"Rather, the Bucks owners are looking to host events such as the NCAA hockey tournament and its Frozen Four men’s championship or an NHL exhibition game at the new arena, Suski said."

Thanks. Either the radio news announcer I heard was freelancing, or I wasn't paying very close attention.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
Homophobia?

Nice projection.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
Nice projection.

I happen to be a fan of figure skating. Beginning with the Dance of the Zamboni through the skirr of honed steel on ice to the thunderous crescendo of the crowd's adulation until, finally, a man spent from having left it all out on the sheet of honor offers heartfelt thanks through the choked tears of joy...there is nothing more riveting than this in the world of sport. Nothing.

I won't have you trivialize this most elegant sport with political sentiment. Never. 

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »

I happen to be a fan of figure skating. Beginning with the Dance of the Zamboni through the skirr of honed steel on ice to the thunderous crescendo of the crowd's adulation until, finally, a man spent from having left it all out on the sheet of honor offers heartfelt thanks through the choked tears of joy...there is nothing more riveting than this in the world of sport. Nothing.

I won't have you trivialize this most elegant sport with political sentiment. Never.

You spent too much time on 10N.  On 10S. we preferred ballet.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
   i wish they would close up the end zones-get rid of the entrance/exit so we can wave the big finger and fat heads directly behind opposing free throwers.  they could put those off to the corners or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
I like figure skating, especially at the Olympics.

Seriously. I think it's great theater and entertainment, and the skaters - men and women - are incredible athletes.

It and hockey are by far my two favorite Winter Olympic sports.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
Sheet of honor.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »

Is that first pic a guy or girl?  i recognize Boitano but don't know the others.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 06:35:28 PM »
Not too concerning. The endzones will still be closed off. Think a smaller United Center for the ability to host hockey. Main reason they did this is so Disney on Ice can be in the new arena.