[Today at 02:29:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate  (Read 18627 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:14 AM »
So...you are volunteering us to do the calls??

Just kidding.

Actually, I would do that if the Admissions Office asked me to. There are quite a few Marquette alums in Seattle and I am sure we could organize some events for prospective students.

Actually MU needs to hire a department of current students with the job of converting accepted application into actual students.

Their mandate is to make accepted applicants feel wanted and good about MU, get questions answered, put them in touch with deans, professors or administrations so the understand their option and potential.

Current kids know how to make high school kids feel wanted, via calls, social media or whatever.   Middle aged alumni calling 18 year old kids is just not that effective.  Phones are what old people do anyway.  Need to Facebook, tweet and snapchat them.  Send them instagrams too.  Use blogs and tumblr.

Again, make a department and pay them.  Give them a bonus for increasing the acceptance yield.

As noted above, the average university spends $2,100 for each freshman to get them on campus.  Time MU put more resources into this effort.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2016, 06:12:38 AM »
Doc

I am proud to say that my endowment is up every morning.

I think you're supposed to call a medical doctor for that, not a dentist.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »
Doc

I am proud to say that my endowment is up every morning.

This is why they don't let you talk to prospective students.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »
Current kids know how to make high school kids feel wanted, via calls, social media or whatever.   Middle aged alumni calling 18 year old kids is just not that effective.  Phones are what old people do anyway.  Need to Facebook, tweet and snapchat them.  Send them instagrams too.  Use blogs and tumblr.

Blogs?  What is this?  2006?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »

Blogs?  What is this?  2006?

What the heck do you think Facebook is?  One, shiny, happy, likable, friendly blog.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
You guys on Myspace?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
Can I use my netscape email to start this blog thingy?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
Can I use my netscape email to start this blog thingy?

I think you can start one up on geocities.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
I've gotta fire up the old America Online dial-up.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »

Four hours isn't a problem. I call it a good start.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
This is why they don't let you talk to prospective students.

Yea, that's probably why my Ivy League alma mater has asked me to do exactly that for many years. Maybe you should call them and warn them I am a social hand grenade...

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
Yea, that's probably why my Ivy League alma mater has asked me to do exactly that for many years. Maybe you should call them and warn them I am a social hand grenade...

Boy, you Ivy Leaguers sure can't take a joke......
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
Boy, you Ivy Leaguers sure can't take a joke......

Touche.

You have to understand that we are two hours behind you and until about noon most of my blood is still in a "lower extremity."

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »

Depends on what you're doing with it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »

If being used as a substitute for dental floss or a toothpick, then perhaps I'm wrong.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »

An Air Force pilot knows what to do with it.

I guess you Navy guys need remedial instruction...

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
First step in doin' dat is ta get da endowment up. Also, while we may say US News' rankin's don't mean chit, fact remains dat its a great marketin' tool and feather in a school's cap, to acheive a high number. Don't poo, poo it. Gotta play da game, ai na?
You are speaking my language. I have said for a long time get the endowment up so we can fund so full ride academic scholarships. I guarantee if we were able to do those we would have a much easier time playing the US News game. Full ride potential attracts applicants and it also enhances kids who return for a second year ( which is another part of the standard)

Also Higher US News rating helps our lacrosse program in particular and other Olympic Sports  All those kids have to pay part tuition so Mom and Dad looking to spend it on a good school. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »
You are speaking my language. I have said for a long time get the endowment up so we can fund so full ride academic scholarships. I guarantee if we were able to do those we would have a much easier time playing the US News game. Full ride potential attracts applicants and it also enhances kids who return for a second year ( which is another part of the standard)

Also Higher US News rating helps our lacrosse program in particular and other Olympic Sports  All those kids have to pay part tuition so Mom and Dad looking to spend it on a good school.

This is like the old Steve Martin line "you too can live like a billionaire."  How?  "First get a billion dollars."

To get the endowment yo the point where we can offer the schlorships you suggest would take hundreds of millions, if not a billion dollars.  That will take decades to raise.

Got any ideas MU can try before 2030?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
This is like the old Steve Martin line "you too can live like a billionaire."  How?  "First get a billion dollars."

To get the endowment yo the point where we can offer the schlorships you suggest would take hundreds of millions, if not a billion dollars.  That will take decades to raise.

Got any ideas MU can try before 2030?
We need something like the Morehead Cain Program that UNC has.  They offer 57 full scholarships.  Would take $100 million to fund it at that level.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »
We need something like the Morehead Cain Program that UNC has.  They offer 57 full scholarships.  Would take $100 million to fund it at that level.

I agree that $100 million would do it.  That funds 57 full-rides (and Morehead Cain is for athletes at UNC ... which now we know many of them that did not go to class)

The Blue/Gold fund raises $4.5 million a year.  It has about $20 million.  That funds about 12 athletic full-ride scholarships.

$100 million is 25 times what they raise in a year.  It is 5 times the current endowment.

Where are they getting this money?  You donating it?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
I agree that $100 million would do it.  That funds 57 full-rides (and Morehead Cain is for athletes at UNC ... which now we know many of them that did not go to class)

The Blue/Gold fund raises $4.5 million a year.  It has about $20 million.  That funds about 12 athletic full-ride scholarships.

$100 million is 25 times what they raise in a year.  It is 5 times the current endowment.

Where are they getting this money?  You donating it?
The funding was originally set up by the John Morehead in 1951. The Cain Family invested another 100 million in 2007. Basically they go after Ivy League quality students and was modeled after the  Rhodes Scholarship. The only connection to athletics is the fact the students must demonstrate some evidence of being physically vigorous.

I think it is possible for MU to get something like this started. 
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2016, 07:55:12 PM »
The funding was originally set up by the John Morehead in 1951. The Cain Family invested another 100 million in 2007. Basically they go after Ivy League quality students and was modeled after the  Rhodes Scholarship. The only connection to athletics is the fact the students must demonstrate some evidence of being physically vigorous.

I think it is possible for MU to get something like this started.

Who is giving MU the $100 million?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »
Crean, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2016, 08:09:09 PM »
Crean, hey?

Yes, and the kids that get this schollie can graduate in a special ceremony in the Valley Fields soccer stadium.