[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 1 Weekend 2 Visits  (Read 24165 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 1 Weekend 2 Visits
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
I would hope that if someone is getting cut for performance reasons, that Wojo would have already let them know.  (And I think that's the case.  My guess is that if someone announces they are leaving at this point, it is their own decision or an academic issue painted to look like their own decision.)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:06 AM »
I would think every player that is still left at MU is concerned about there scholarship right now or they know that there is a chance they are out.  This is really bad
PR, and win at all costs is wrong.  I know Wojo is under pressure to win, getting paid enough, but cutting kids is wrong.  If somebody else is leaving it should have
already been brought up!  I hope it is whom ever wants to sign this coming weekend, that is the kid he takes and move on to 2017.

If everything is communicated upfront and honestly, there is zero reason that cutting kids is wrong. A) that's not even what it is 2) We aren't running a feel good about ourselves basketball center III) The point of the program is to generate revenue and positive visibility of the university, not wining hurts both of those things, more significantly then helping a player find a better fit for their abilities

People complain about the lack of competitive spirit in millenials, where heres a chance to restore that....earn your scholarship.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
If everything is communicated upfront and honestly, there is zero reason that cutting kids is wrong. A) that's not even what it is 2) We aren't running a feel good about ourselves basketball center III) The point of the program is to generate revenue and positive visibility of the university, not wining hurts both of those things, more significantly then helping a player find a better fit for their abilities

People complain about the lack of competitive spirit in millenials, where heres a chance to restore that....earn your scholarship.

This goes both ways too.  ST-Jr heard about expected playing time and left.  We could have really used him last year....I don't think he feels 'bad' about it.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »

I agree they have to earn there scholarship,  but he recruited Anim and Cohen, that is on Wojo, and live with it.  If Wilson leaves, that is another coaches mistake and have no issue if he leaves.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »

I agree they have to earn there scholarship,  but he recruited Anim and Cohen, that is on Wojo, and live with it.  If Wilson leaves, that is another coaches mistake and have no issue if he leaves.

Personally, I'm anticipating that Wilson will evaluate his situation next year at this time when Graduate Transfer rules might apply.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »
I would think every player that is still left at MU is concerned about there scholarship right now or they know that there is a chance they are out.  This is really bad
PR, and win at all costs is wrong.  I know Wojo is under pressure to win, getting paid enough, but cutting kids is wrong.  If somebody else is leaving it should have
already been brought up!  I hope it is whom ever wants to sign this coming weekend, that is the kid he takes and move on to 2017.

Man up, bro. These kids are going to school for free. If they can't hack it, they should get cut. Simple as that. This is major D1 athletics, not tee ball.  If you can find a better player than someone on the back of your roster, thats what you should do, and that is what winning programs do. So many soft posters around here. I like Sandy, and I like Anim. But if we can get Kalif and Gill, you do it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:48:48 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »
Man up, bro. These kids are going to school for free. If they can't hack it, they should get cut. Simple as that. This is major D1 athletics, not tee ball.  If you can find a better player than someone on the back of your roster, thats what you should do, and that is what winning programs do. So many soft posters around here. I like Sandy, and I like Anim. But if we can get Kalif and Gill, you do it.
bull sh!t.  you stay true to your word.  if wojo, and any other coach, is recruiting players and telling them they could get axed in may if someone better comes along, then so be it.  anything else doesn't fly for me.

the "these kids are going to school for free" is a hilarious argument. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »
Wojo wants both and he'll make room if he needs to.

The frontcourt talent in the 2017 class is worth trying to get only 1 more recruit this spring.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
I don't think that Wojo is looking to turn over a substantial portion of the roster.  We have one available scholarship that evolved out of a special circumstance where accommodations were made on both sides.  We've fully hashed that out.  I'm not going to worry about this further unless and until something beyond one commitment happens.  I sincerely believe Kalif and Gill are competing for one spot.  Wojo would be open to legitimate criticism if he didn't have a Plan A and a Plan B right now.  They days of banked scholarships needs to end.  It'll end in the next week or two.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »
The frontcourt talent in the 2017 class is worth trying to get only 1 more recruit this spring.

Well...if Wojo took both, that would include Gill, who graduates next year, meaning you would still have that scholarship available for a frontcourt player in 2017.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
I think this is why it bothers me so much. My father graduated from Creighton in 1940 and always talked about the values the Jesuits taught him. He believed there was nothing better than a Jesuit education and paid for his sons to go to MUHS and all of his kids to go to MU. He refused to pay for my brother's law school when he spurned MU and went to UW. He firmly believed MU taught values while UW did not. Whether he was right or not that is how I was raised. Values taught are that people matter and it is wrong to take advantage of others to get ahead. I can understand Wojo wanting the most talented players possible, but to me it is a reflection on the University's non-Jesuit president to let this actually happen. Right now my attitude, which is subject to change in the future, is that I am done donating to MU. I am using my reseating donation to complete an item on my bucket list. I plan on taking a 15 day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. I am seriously considering not renewing my tickets, which go back to 1956. I know some of you have different attitudes about this and that is okay for you, but for me it is a really big issue.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »
bull sh!t.  you stay true to your word.  if wojo, and any other coach, is recruiting players and telling them they could get axed in may if someone better comes along, then so be it.  anything else doesn't fly for me.

the "these kids are going to school for free" is a hilarious argument.

Become a fan of middle school basketball then.  Because that's the last place this perfect world in which everyone gets to play and no gets cut ends.  The fact that some people don't understand this is what is hilarious.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
I think this is why it bothers me so much. My father graduated from Creighton in 1940 and always talked about the values the Jesuits taught him. He believed there was nothing better than a Jesuit education and paid for his sons to go to MUHS and all of his kids to go to MU. He refused to pay for my brother's law school when he spurned MU and went to UW. He firmly believed MU taught values while UW did not. Whether he was right or not that is how I was raised. Values taught are that people matter and it is wrong to take advantage of others to get ahead. I can understand Wojo wanting the most talented players possible, but to me it is a reflection on the University's non-Jesuit president to let this actually happen. Right now my attitude, which is subject to change in the future, is that I am done donating to MU. I am using my reseating donation to complete an item on my bucket list. I plan on taking a 15 day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. I am seriously considering not renewing my tickets, which go back to 1956. I know some of you have different attitudes about this and that is okay for you, but for me it is a really big issue.

I respect your POV, but frankly today's cash register that is college bball is not what you describe.  It hasn't been that way at MU or broader for quite a long period of time.  It is too bad it chases you away from the game, but it may save you some heartache. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »

This literally makes me LOL.  What a pile of bullcrap.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »
I can understand Wojo wanting the most talented players possible, but to me it is a reflection on the University's non-Jesuit president to let this actually happen.

If, as several posters have said, Wally was unwilling to fully commit to basketball (attending all practices, weight lifting sessions, etc. even when it conflicted with track), doesn't this change things?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

I don't blame you at all. For me, the situation would be different if Wally were graduate transfer eligible currently or could transfer and continue playing by sitting out (ala Sandy or Sacar). I understand there are different points of view on this, but I hardly think bilsu should be mocked or ridiculed for having a moral stance on the issue.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »

Bucket list for me too.

Can chick and I have your points?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
I don't blame you at all. For me, the situation would be different if Wally were graduate transfer eligible currently or could transfer and continue playing by sitting out (ala Sandy or Sacar). I understand there are different points of view on this, but I hardly think bilsu should be mocked or ridiculed for having a moral stance on the issue.

Sorry, should be more sensitive. But that is just not the way the world operates these days.  I graduated from MU in 2012 - honestly, the whole morality and values thing was nearly non-existent IMO.  Sure I took a couple required theology and ethics courses, but beyond that - it's not like you're getting preached at.  Just think some of the older folks on here think Marquette is something different than it is - maybe it used to be like that, or maybe I am just not a super holy person, but I think it misses the mark.

Plus, how that relates to their college basketball team is even more a reach. I care about MU basketball for one reason - I loved watching them win.  If they sucked while I was at school, I probably wouldn't be the die hard I am today. I want them to win. If that means a few kids have to transfer to a lower level school because of it - so what. They'll survive. Its a dog eat dog world out there - not a lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
Sorry, should be more sensitive. But that is just not the way the world operates these days.  I graduated from MU in 2012 - honestly, the whole morality and values thing was nearly non-existent IMO. Sure I took a couple required theology and ethics courses, but beyond that - it's not like you're getting preached at.  Just think some of the older folks on here think Marquette is something different than it is - maybe it used to be like that, or maybe I am just not a super holy person, but I think it misses the mark.

Plus, how that relates to their college basketball team is even more a reach. I care about MU basketball for one reason - I loved watching them win.  If they sucked while I was at school, I probably wouldn't be the die hard I am today. I want them to win. If that means a few kids have to transfer to a lower level school because of it - so what. They'll survive. Its a dog eat dog world out there - not a lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

It ain't all that different jJjjjJJJ.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
One of posts on the first page said it best---Agree  with-fjm like it or not. (1st page post).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
It ain't all that different jJjjjJJJ.

Well then, more to my point. If MU wants to be an elite program, they need to act like one. That includes getting the best 13 players on the roster they can possible get.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »

+1

I think you've been hitting at something most people have chosen to ignore.  I understand the reality of college basketball and get why guys like Mbao didn't have their scholarship renewed.  However, I'd love for someone to list the number of recruits we've Creaned/Buzzcut/Wojciechows-cleaned who transferred into the program as sophomores or juniors.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »

There are so many injustices that college athletes are subjected to. Getting cut from the team based on their performance on the court is not one of them. That happens at every level of competitive athletics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Sorry, should be more sensitive. But that is just not the way the world operates these days.  I graduated from MU in 2012 - honestly, the whole morality and values thing was nearly non-existent IMO.  Sure I took a couple required theology and ethics courses, but beyond that - it's not like you're getting preached at.  Just think some of the older folks on here think Marquette is something different than it is - maybe it used to be like that, or maybe I am just not a super holy person, but I think it misses the mark.

I agree that Wally being cut is a moral non-issue. But as a 2011 grad I could not disagree with this post more.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
to me it is a reflection on the University's non-Jesuit president to let this actually happen.

You are of course free to your own opinion.  But the fact is, cuts happened with Buzz and Crean too - under Jesuit presidents.  I don't know why people are treating this one so differently.

feedback