[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why So Much Chief Hate?  (Read 19587 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Why So Much Chief Hate?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
The games where Wojo said Sandy was our best defender and was assigned to the other team's best player.  That had to be half the games last year, per Wojo statements to Homer in the post-game.

The problem is half the games last year that Wojo was talking like that was all in the first 60% of the season.  He was invisible most of the 2nd half.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
I really think Hauser will contribute a lot sooner than people think.  It may get pushed back a little but I have a feeling he'll play some stretch 4/eventual 3 for us starting next season.  He may be the best shooter on the team and strikes me as a Novak-type.  Little surprised more people aren't considering more production out of him.

I absolutely think that's a possibility. I'm just trying to figure out where the minutes come from. Is Hauser going to be better than JJJ, Cheatham, Fischer, Reinhardt, Wilson, Rowsey, Howard, or Carter? Hes probably better than Heldt and Young but I think they would get time just because of their size. We have a lot of depth and that's a great thing.

One thing I like about the makeup of our roster is the balance. Assuming we get young we have three distinct and pretty balanced groups.

Slashers
JJJ
Cheatham
Wilson
Carter
Anim

Shooters
Reinhardt
Rowsey
Howard
Cohen
Hauser

Bigs
Fischer
Heldt
Young

You take two from the shooters, two from the slashers, and one from the bigs and cycle them through. Even better, all the slashers can shoot fairly well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »
Why is their so much hate for the Chief (Sandy).  Lots here almost wishing he would leave.

Yes he struggled done the stretch last season.  But for 1 1/2 years before that, he looked legit.

Reminds me of the hate 1 year ago for JJJ.  Like Sandy, JJJ was also benched for a game.  Like Sandy, JJJ struggled down the stretch.  And like Sandy, a year ago the mob here was looking for JJJ to leave.

And like is often the case here, whenever the mob comes to a consensus here, it is usually wrong.  It was wrong about JJJ a year ago as he came back and was productive last season.  And I believe it will be wrong about Sandy too.

I hope the chief stays and proves the mob here wrong again.

Agreed.  Scoop loves to rally around and hate on player "x". 

Often they end up saying later, what we need is a player like "x".

Simply a matter of people being unrealistic in their expectations. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
Mike

Did you ever eat at Sy's? Having lived and traveled around Asia as a kid the dead chickens hanging upside down in Sy's windows drew me in like a bee to honey. When I took my eventual bride there for lunch for the first time she was mortified. The Reuben she got at Sy convinced her of my culinary acumen.

A little bit of NYC on Wells.

Believe it or not, I never even knew Sy's existed when I was at MU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »
Why is their so much hate for the Chief (Sandy).  Lots here almost wishing he would leave.

Yes he struggled done the stretch last season.  But for 1 1/2 years before that, he looked legit.

Reminds me of the hate 1 year ago for JJJ.  Like Sandy, JJJ was also benched for a game.  Like Sandy, JJJ struggled down the stretch.  And like Sandy, a year ago the mob here was looking for JJJ to leave.

And like is often the case here, whenever the mob comes to a consensus here, it is usually wrong.  It was wrong about JJJ a year ago as he came back and was productive last season.  And I believe it will be wrong about Sandy too.

I hope the chief stays and proves the mob here wrong again.

I can't take you seriously when you can't even use the English language correctly.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »
I can't take you seriously when you can't even use the English language correctly.

This quite the 1st post entrance.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »

He's baaaack.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »

Than dont

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
I really think Hauser will contribute a lot sooner than people think.  It may get pushed back a little but I have a feeling he'll play some stretch 4/eventual 3 for us starting next season.  He may be the best shooter on the team and strikes me as a Novak-type.  Little surprised more people aren't considering more production out of him.
I think it will take him some time to adjust to the speed and physicality of college play. I have low expectations for him this year, but next year I think he will be very much a factor.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Cohen playing a good role
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
I am a strong defender of Sandy.

MU struggled because we made so many mistakes - namely turnovers at the top of the list, the inability to grab defensive rebounds despite our size, and poor 3-point shooting.

Sandy is our top returning defensive rebounder (13.7%)

He had an offensive rating of 106 in 7 of the last 8 games in which he played at least 15 minutes - he was 9 of 20 and with 4 of them made 3-pointers his eFG% was 55%, and he hit 80% of his free throws (12 of 15).

He also only turned the ball over an average of once a game - looks as high as our team rate at kenpom, but that is because he took so few shots - he actually turned it over once a game.

I know fans naturally "want more to happen" which tends to lower the perceived value of a player like Sandy, but I think we really need him. Last year Henry was going to shoot like crazy no matter who else was on the court - and you need some guys out there slowing it down when your team is making way too many mistakes, so I really think Sandy is valuable.

To take Al McGuire's statement that you need 3 1/2 stars - he could be the unselfish half star I believe.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
I appreciate Sandy.   I never expected him to be all world.   I see him as a glue guy.   Last year, he went into a terrible offensive slump.   Ok.   Going forward, I see him as a Juan Anderson, Dan Fitzgerald type.    A little bit of everything, a lot of hustle.   I hope he stays. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:43 AM »
I sincerely believe Sandy can be an important contributor.  I'm not sure what Wojo will focus on this summer but if it were up to me I would want him to become an even better (meaning lockdown) perimeter defender and a quality defensive rebounder.  I don't think his shot will ever be quick enough or consistent enough for BEast play to be considered an offensive threat.  if he were to hit 1-2 3s a game and shoot 33% I'd call that a success.  Good enough that he needs to be accounted for when on the court.  But in my mind he earns minutes at the defensive end.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

It's not fair to judge Heisy only on his own posts, you need to also consider how much better his language skills are when he is cutting and pasting directly from Matt V. without citation.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »

MU82

• All American
Re: Cohen playing a good role
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

MU struggled because we made so many mistakes - namely turnovers at the top of the list, the inability to grab defensive rebounds despite our size, and poor 3-point shooting.

He had an offensive rating of 106 in 7 of the last 8 games in which he played at least 15 minutes - he was 9 of 20 and with 4 of them made 3-pointers his eFG% was 55%, and he hit 80% of his free throws (12 of 15).

He also only turned the ball over an average of once a game - looks as high as our team rate at kenpom, but that is because he took so few shots - he actually turned it over once a game.

I know fans naturally "want more to happen" which tends to lower the perceived value of a player like Sandy, but I think we really need him. Last year Henry was going to shoot like crazy no matter who else was on the court - and you need some guys out there slowing it down when your team is making way too many mistakes, so I really think Sandy is valuable.

To take Al McGuire's statement that you need 3 1/2 stars - he could be the unselfish half star I believe.

This is a well-written, reasonable defense of Sandy. Thanks for this perspective.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
This quite the 1st post entrance.

Thanks!

Then

Beat me to it. He's gotta be doing a bit, right?

He's baaaack.

I've never posted here before in my life, just occasionally read (sometimes more often than not, depending on how bad some posters make my head hurt with nonsense).

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Cohen playing a good role
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

Great post. Much appreciated.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
To paraphrase the great Clubber Lang ...

I don't hate Sandy Cohen; I pity da fool.

(Bet y'all didn't know Clubber used semicolons, did ya?)

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »
Let's face it, Sandy came from small HS ball to play in the Big East with high expectations.  It would be nice if we could build depth to the point where we could consider redshirting a frosh, but we're not there

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:21 AM »
What we need is for Sandy to be able to put on 20 pounds of muscle and not have any of his game change significantly. He's certainly good enough to be a solid role-player on this team. He can play defense and get rebounds, but needs a bit more on his frame to do it consistently against big East forwards. He has enough offensive game and an accurate enough long-range shot that he at least requires the defense to respect him. If we could add a quality starter (Gill comes to mind) and have Sandy play 10-15 mpg off the bench, he could be ideal for the role.

We have more than enough guys that on paper can shoot and score the basketball. We don't have enough that can rebound misses and have the height and frames to be able to defend in the post. He doesn't have to be a star, but he could still be a significant piece on a good team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 07:53:22 AM »
Agree.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »
I don't think there's that much hate. I was behind a car today on the Ike with a Marquette license plate with "CHEEEF." I can only assume it was a Chief chant.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
He has enough offensive game and an accurate enough long-range shot that he at least requires the defense to respect him.

This is wrong.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
This is wrong.
I disagree with this analysis
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.