'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why So Much Chief Hate?  (Read 19465 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why So Much Chief Hate?
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Why is their so much hate for the Chief (Sandy).  Lots here almost wishing he would leave.

Yes he struggled done the stretch last season.  But for 1 1/2 years before that, he looked legit.

Reminds me of the hate 1 year ago for JJJ.  Like Sandy, JJJ was also benched for a game.  Like Sandy, JJJ struggled down the stretch.  And like Sandy, a year ago the mob here was looking for JJJ to leave.

And like is often the case here, whenever the mob comes to a consensus here, it is usually wrong.  It was wrong about JJJ a year ago as he came back and was productive last season.  And I believe it will be wrong about Sandy too.

I hope the chief stays and proves the mob here wrong again.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Why So Much Chief Hate?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
I hope is does figure it out. But last season he looked lost out there.

Death on call

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
It is real simple, his offensive game is offensive.  But I must agree that he has the athleticism he might be able to change his game.  His release time is ridiculously
slow, to slow for the Big East.  He has no jump shot what so ever, just needs hours in the gym to improve and work with one of the coaches to improve his release.
Needs to work on confidence, he was butt ugly this year in the Big East.  Wally was better.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
I definitely think people are bailing on Sandy too early. He definitely had an awful offensive stretch last season, but he has all offseason to work through his issues and get right again. I'm hopeful he can return to the path he was on for the first half of last season.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »
Why is their so much hate for the Chief (Sandy).  Lots here almost wishing he would leave.

Yes he struggled done the stretch last season.  But for 1 1/2 years before that, he looked legit.

Reminds me of the hate 1 year ago for JJJ.  Like Sandy, JJJ was also benched for a game.  Like Sandy, JJJ struggled down the stretch.  And like Sandy, a year ago the mob here was looking for JJJ to leave.

And like is often the case here, whenever the mob comes to a consensus here, it is usually wrong.  It was wrong about JJJ a year ago as he came back and was productive last season.  And I believe it will be wrong about Sandy too.

I agree with this.

Fans are fickle. No different with MU fans.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
Heise baby, what games you been watchin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »
I'm hopeful he can return to the path he was on for the first half of last season.

The guy did well against a couple cupcakes. He was a non-factor in Big East play. Marquette needs much better production from someone getting 30 minutes a game. Clearly Wojo saw that as Cohen's playing time decreased as the season progressed.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
Heise baby, what games you been watchin', hey?

The games where Wojo said Sandy was our best defender and was assigned to the other team's best player.  That had to be half the games last year, per Wojo statements to Homer in the post-game.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Does Cohen have a younger brother, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »

Maybe this was the QPQ to sign the sister?

Death on call

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Sandy has faded both years.  He started both seasons strong and then runs out of gas (confidence and strength) by February.  I like Sandy's game but wish he could escalate his play instead of increasing his bench time.  Perhap's Big East competition is too fast and big for him.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Hate? Haven't seen it.

People like myself have said if someone does leave it's probably best for everyone if it's Sandy.

He hasn't looked BE capable at all to this point.

Him and JJJ are not remotely similar. And JJJ game is better suited to click anyways. He's a ultra athletic slasher who can make plays off the dribble. Now he learned to shoot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »
Sandy has faded both years.  He started both seasons strong and then runs out of gas (confidence and strength) by February.  I like Sandy's game but wish he could escalate his play instead of increasing his bench time.  Perhap's Big East competition is too fast and big for him.

He fades because the competition gets better. He is simply not a high level D1 basketball player. He cannot make an open jump shot and he is painfully slow at everything he does. No business being on the floor as much as he was this year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Hate? Haven't seen it.

People like myself have said if someone does leave it's probably best for everyone if it's Sandy.

He hasn't looked BE capable at all to this point.

Him and JJJ are not remotely similar. And JJJ game is better suited to click anyways. He's a ultra athletic slasher who can make plays off the dribble. Now he learned to shoot.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
If someone were to get pole-axed, I think it would be someone who won't be in the rotation next season. I think our rotation next season will be Johnson, Reinhardt, Fischer, Cheatham, Rowsey, Wilson, Howard, Carter, Heldt, and Young. That leaves Cohen, Anim, and Hauser left on the list. Hauser is definitely safe. And Anim is younger, so he has more time to develop. That means Sandy's the guy.

That being said, I don't think anyone is getting pole-axed. Someone may leave still leave on their own accord. I am hopeful that Sandy is able to get it together. He has the athleticism, his defense is very good, and he has shown good shooting ability. He needs to put it all together.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »

Oddly I agree with you.  I  think I need a shower.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »

Moishe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
I'm not sure I'd call it Chief hate, but it does seem a decent number of people are ready to see him and Anim make way. I'd like to see both continue.

Not sure how Sandy progresses, but Jajuan had a broken shot, looked even more lost on defense, and was playing inconsistent minutes. His decision making was at best suspect. This year, he emerged as one of our best players.

I still think Sandy could be an excellent defender and reliable 3/4 off the bench. I think that "what we hoped Juan Anderson would be" idea is a good comparison. A guy that can do a lot of things well as long as you don't need 25-30 mpg from him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »
Awesome.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

As always Doc delivers!

Death on call

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 03:01:22 AM »
No Hate.  If he gets a shot doctor this summer and bulks up a bit he could be a good defensive 4 for 10-15 mins/game who clears the middle based on his ability to hit the 3.

If he's not going to quicken his release and improve his accuracy, then he doesn't belong at high D1 level.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 03:42:22 AM »
I don't think hate is the right word, he's so far just looked like the 11th or 12th option for next season if he doesn't improve.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I want to see every kid we sign develop and prosper. Sandy often looked lost last year. Freshman year he did not LOOK lost, he was lost. Prospects are a crap shoot, some surprise you, some disappoint you. There's no "hate" but I just don't think Sandy is going to be a guy who makes a meaningful difference for the program. If he's a good guy, good in the locker room, keep him around. If he is not happy with how things are going, I think he would have the chance to be a more significant contributor at a lower-level program.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
Moishe.

Mike

Did you ever eat at Sy's? Having lived and traveled around Asia as a kid the dead chickens hanging upside down in Sy's windows drew me in like a bee to honey. When I took my eventual bride there for lunch for the first time she was mortified. The Reuben she got at Sy convinced her of my culinary acumen.

A little bit of NYC on Wells.

Death on call

onepost

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
That leaves Cohen, Anim, and Hauser left on the list. Hauser is definitely safe. And Anim is younger, so he has more time to develop. That means Sandy's the guy.

I really think Hauser will contribute a lot sooner than people think.  It may get pushed back a little but I have a feeling he'll play some stretch 4/eventual 3 for us starting next season.  He may be the best shooter on the team and strikes me as a Novak-type.  Little surprised more people aren't considering more production out of him.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
The games where Wojo said Sandy was our best defender and was assigned to the other team's best player.  That had to be half the games last year, per Wojo statements to Homer in the post-game.

The problem is half the games last year that Wojo was talking like that was all in the first 60% of the season.  He was invisible most of the 2nd half.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
I really think Hauser will contribute a lot sooner than people think.  It may get pushed back a little but I have a feeling he'll play some stretch 4/eventual 3 for us starting next season.  He may be the best shooter on the team and strikes me as a Novak-type.  Little surprised more people aren't considering more production out of him.

I absolutely think that's a possibility. I'm just trying to figure out where the minutes come from. Is Hauser going to be better than JJJ, Cheatham, Fischer, Reinhardt, Wilson, Rowsey, Howard, or Carter? Hes probably better than Heldt and Young but I think they would get time just because of their size. We have a lot of depth and that's a great thing.

One thing I like about the makeup of our roster is the balance. Assuming we get young we have three distinct and pretty balanced groups.

Slashers
JJJ
Cheatham
Wilson
Carter
Anim

Shooters
Reinhardt
Rowsey
Howard
Cohen
Hauser

Bigs
Fischer
Heldt
Young

You take two from the shooters, two from the slashers, and one from the bigs and cycle them through. Even better, all the slashers can shoot fairly well.
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

Agreed.  Scoop loves to rally around and hate on player "x". 

Often they end up saying later, what we need is a player like "x".

Simply a matter of people being unrealistic in their expectations. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
Mike

Did you ever eat at Sy's? Having lived and traveled around Asia as a kid the dead chickens hanging upside down in Sy's windows drew me in like a bee to honey. When I took my eventual bride there for lunch for the first time she was mortified. The Reuben she got at Sy convinced her of my culinary acumen.

A little bit of NYC on Wells.

Believe it or not, I never even knew Sy's existed when I was at MU.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »

I can't take you seriously when you can't even use the English language correctly.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »
I can't take you seriously when you can't even use the English language correctly.

This quite the 1st post entrance.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »

He's baaaack.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »

Than dont

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
I think it will take him some time to adjust to the speed and physicality of college play. I have low expectations for him this year, but next year I think he will be very much a factor.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Cohen playing a good role
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
I am a strong defender of Sandy.

MU struggled because we made so many mistakes - namely turnovers at the top of the list, the inability to grab defensive rebounds despite our size, and poor 3-point shooting.

Sandy is our top returning defensive rebounder (13.7%)

He had an offensive rating of 106 in 7 of the last 8 games in which he played at least 15 minutes - he was 9 of 20 and with 4 of them made 3-pointers his eFG% was 55%, and he hit 80% of his free throws (12 of 15).

He also only turned the ball over an average of once a game - looks as high as our team rate at kenpom, but that is because he took so few shots - he actually turned it over once a game.

I know fans naturally "want more to happen" which tends to lower the perceived value of a player like Sandy, but I think we really need him. Last year Henry was going to shoot like crazy no matter who else was on the court - and you need some guys out there slowing it down when your team is making way too many mistakes, so I really think Sandy is valuable.

To take Al McGuire's statement that you need 3 1/2 stars - he could be the unselfish half star I believe.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
I appreciate Sandy.   I never expected him to be all world.   I see him as a glue guy.   Last year, he went into a terrible offensive slump.   Ok.   Going forward, I see him as a Juan Anderson, Dan Fitzgerald type.    A little bit of everything, a lot of hustle.   I hope he stays. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:43 AM »
I sincerely believe Sandy can be an important contributor.  I'm not sure what Wojo will focus on this summer but if it were up to me I would want him to become an even better (meaning lockdown) perimeter defender and a quality defensive rebounder.  I don't think his shot will ever be quick enough or consistent enough for BEast play to be considered an offensive threat.  if he were to hit 1-2 3s a game and shoot 33% I'd call that a success.  Good enough that he needs to be accounted for when on the court.  But in my mind he earns minutes at the defensive end.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

It's not fair to judge Heisy only on his own posts, you need to also consider how much better his language skills are when he is cutting and pasting directly from Matt V. without citation.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »

MU82

• All American
Re: Cohen playing a good role
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

MU struggled because we made so many mistakes - namely turnovers at the top of the list, the inability to grab defensive rebounds despite our size, and poor 3-point shooting.

He had an offensive rating of 106 in 7 of the last 8 games in which he played at least 15 minutes - he was 9 of 20 and with 4 of them made 3-pointers his eFG% was 55%, and he hit 80% of his free throws (12 of 15).

He also only turned the ball over an average of once a game - looks as high as our team rate at kenpom, but that is because he took so few shots - he actually turned it over once a game.

I know fans naturally "want more to happen" which tends to lower the perceived value of a player like Sandy, but I think we really need him. Last year Henry was going to shoot like crazy no matter who else was on the court - and you need some guys out there slowing it down when your team is making way too many mistakes, so I really think Sandy is valuable.

To take Al McGuire's statement that you need 3 1/2 stars - he could be the unselfish half star I believe.

This is a well-written, reasonable defense of Sandy. Thanks for this perspective.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
TAMU

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
This quite the 1st post entrance.

Thanks!

Then

Beat me to it. He's gotta be doing a bit, right?

He's baaaack.

I've never posted here before in my life, just occasionally read (sometimes more often than not, depending on how bad some posters make my head hurt with nonsense).

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

Great post. Much appreciated.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
To paraphrase the great Clubber Lang ...

I don't hate Sandy Cohen; I pity da fool.

(Bet y'all didn't know Clubber used semicolons, did ya?)

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »
Let's face it, Sandy came from small HS ball to play in the Big East with high expectations.  It would be nice if we could build depth to the point where we could consider redshirting a frosh, but we're not there

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:21 AM »
What we need is for Sandy to be able to put on 20 pounds of muscle and not have any of his game change significantly. He's certainly good enough to be a solid role-player on this team. He can play defense and get rebounds, but needs a bit more on his frame to do it consistently against big East forwards. He has enough offensive game and an accurate enough long-range shot that he at least requires the defense to respect him. If we could add a quality starter (Gill comes to mind) and have Sandy play 10-15 mpg off the bench, he could be ideal for the role.

We have more than enough guys that on paper can shoot and score the basketball. We don't have enough that can rebound misses and have the height and frames to be able to defend in the post. He doesn't have to be a star, but he could still be a significant piece on a good team.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 07:53:22 AM »
Agree.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »
I don't think there's that much hate. I was behind a car today on the Ike with a Marquette license plate with "CHEEEF." I can only assume it was a Chief chant.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
He has enough offensive game and an accurate enough long-range shot that he at least requires the defense to respect him.

This is wrong.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
This is wrong.
I disagree with this analysis
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
By "respect him," I am assuming brew means that you just can't play completely off him.  Cohen's problem is that his outside shot is slow.  When he has time, he makes them.  When defenses get better, he rushes and accuracy suffers.  If you leave him wide open, he will hit them more often.

I think brew is spot on.  10-15 minute player.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
This is wrong.

Care to expound? Sandy can't be ignored on the perimeter because he can knock down the open shot. If a team sags off of Sandy at the arc, they'll pay for it. Granted, he has a slow release, but you can't just pretend he's not there (like a Derrick Wilson). He also can hit putbacks and has enough athleticism inside to dunk if he has space.

Sandy will never be a 15 ppg guy, but he does enough to keep the defense honest as long as he's surrounded by other scorers. Worthwhile as a reserve, especially given our dearth of front court players.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
Last season, Sandy had 5 games in which he made at least two 3-pointers. He was 14-for-26 in those games. In the other 28 games, he was 13-for-50. Which more accurately represents Sandy's 3-point ability, a 5-game sample or a 28-game sample?

For that matter, aside from his 6-for-10 against San Jose State, he shot 31.8% from 3-point range in the other 32 games.

My point is that I'm not sure opposing coaches will respect Sandy's 3-point shooting and game-plan against it until he shows he can consistently make 3s.

Given that 28-game sample, one could argue that Sandy Cohen 3-pointers are the kind of shots an opposing coach would like to see Marquette settle for.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
I'd say the 33 game sample where he was 27/76 (35.5%) more accurately represents him. Cherry picking stats can be fun, but is rarely honest or objective.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
I'd say the 33 game sample where he was 27/76 (35.5%) more accurately represents him. Cherry picking stats can be fun, but is rarely honest or objective.

What brew said.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Last season, Sandy had 5 games in which he made at least two 3-pointers. He was 14-for-26 in those games. In the other 28 games, he was 13-for-50. Which more accurately represents Sandy's 3-point ability, a 5-game sample or a 28-game sample?

It works both ways.  In Sandy's worst 5 games he was 0-10 from 3.  In the other 28 games he was 27-66 (41%).  Which more accurately represents Sandy's 3-point ability, a 5-game sample or a 28-game sample?

But I think you are right that he's not much of a 3 point shooter against high D-1 defense.  I think a telling way to look at it is that he shot 15-33 (45.4%) against the dregs of our schedule (IUPUI, Jackson State, Grambling, Maine, San Jose State, Chicago State, Presbyterian, and Stetson) and 12-43 (27.9%) against our true D-1 opponents.  Similar his freshman season, 7-17 (41.1%) against the dregs and 15-49 (30.6%) against opponents on our level.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »
I stand by Sandy being enough of a threat to hit the open three. Even if you factor the 27/92 (29.3%) against high majors in two years cited by CT, that's reliable enough that defenses have to cover him at the arc.

Even assuming he doesn't improve at all, he's still our best returning defensive rebounder, has shown the ability to play some decent defense, and can score enough to not be a total liability on offense.

I'm not saying he's a star, but as a 10-15 mpg guy, we could do far, far worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »
Agree about the cherry-picking of stats. I don't usually do that, and I don't love it when people do.

I am trying to remember how Sandy was defended, though, and I sure don't remember many games when opposing coaches so feared his 3 that they had defenders up in his grill all the time.

My memory ain't what it used to be, though, so maybe I'm wrong. And hard-working players do improve.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
They weren't "up in his grill," but they didn't sag off him completely. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »
Sandy needs to improve next year to the point he doesn't fade once conference season begins -- and in my opinion it is a material jump. 

All these other questions about last season are just too hard to really answer because the fact is, he wasn't very memorable and not very effective once Jan hit.  All prognostications about what kind of player he can be really depends on how much he improves in the off-season.  I hope he makes a big jump.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
I am trying to remember how Sandy was defended, though, and I sure don't remember many games when opposing coaches so feared his 3 that they had defenders up in his grill all the time.

Agreed, but it's just about making sure guys respect him enough to guard him honestly. When he's out there, he's good enough on both ends to be a respectable backup 3/4 in this league, provided he can add a bit of muscle to hold his position down low without losing what quickness and athleticism he has.

Right now, I think the ideal situation would be for us to get Gill as a starter and have him play 25-30 mpg, Sandy to come off the bench for 10-15 mpg, and occasionally go full on four guard offense. To do that, Sandy doesn't have to be a stud, he just needs to be good enough.

EDIT: Sandy's raw per game numbers are surprisingly comparable to Kris Jenkins' first two years at 'Nova. Sandy logged more minutes, rebounded and assisted a little more, scored a little less, all in all not a terrible statistical comparison. And while Sandy wasn't as efficient as Jenkins, his eFG% and ORtg were pretty solid this past year.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:30:53 PM by brewcity77 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Agreed, but it's just about making sure guys respect him enough to guard him honestly. When he's out there, he's good enough on both ends to be a respectable backup 3/4 in this league, provided he can add a bit of muscle to hold his position down low without losing what quickness and athleticism he has.

Right now, I think the ideal situation would be for us to get Gill as a starter and have him play 25-30 mpg, Sandy to come off the bench for 10-15 mpg, and occasionally go full on four guard offense. To do that, Sandy doesn't have to be a stud, he just needs to be good enough.

EDIT: Sandy's raw per game numbers are surprisingly comparable to Kris Jenkins' first two years at 'Nova. Sandy logged more minutes, rebounded and assisted a little more, scored a little less, all in all not a terrible statistical comparison. And while Sandy wasn't as efficient as Jenkins, his eFG% and ORtg were pretty solid this past year.

Agree about the ideal minutes and ideal role for Sandy. Here's hoping he improves enough to warrant it.

I'll settle for him being the next Kris Jenkins.  8-)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Agree about the ideal minutes and ideal role for Sandy. Here's hoping he improves enough to warrant it.

I'll settle for him being the next Kris Jenkins.  8-)

After looking at the comparison, I think it's fair to expect Sandy to be the next Kris Jenkins. Anything less than 13/4 along with hitting a championship winning shot would probably be a disappointment.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
After looking at the comparison, I think it's fair to expect Sandy to be the next Kris Jenkins. Anything less than 13/4 along with hitting a championship winning shot would probably be a disappointment.

Sandy will have to have a total offensive makeover for him to average 13/4.  He is an athlete but not much of a ballplayer yet.  It took Vander a few years before the light
bulb went on, maybe it can happen to him.    Kris Jenkins not even close.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
Sandy will have to have a total offensive makeover for him to average 13/4.  He is an athlete but not much of a ballplayer yet. It took Vander a few years before the light
bulb went on
, maybe it can happen to him.    Kris Jenkins not even close.

Junior year. Just like Sandy next year. So you agree, Sandy will be the next Kris Jenkins/Vander Blue starting next season.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
Junior year. Just like Sandy next year. So you agree, Sandy will be the next Kris Jenkins/Vander Blue starting next season.

We can all dream it can happen, have no idea how hard a worker he is, but anything can happen.  I would be pleasantly surprised as I think minutes next year will
be tougher to get if they land a 4, if not he might start at the 4.  Now that would make me nervous if I was the coach.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Here I figured any post I made quoting MU82 wouldn't require teal...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »
Here I figured any post I made quoting MU82 wouldn't require teal...
I love it, brew.

Down with teal!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »

He had an offensive rating of 106 in 7 of the last 8 games in which he played at least 15 minutes

C'mon... state his usage. You know better.

Yes, the last game he played 15 or more he played 21 mins and had an astromical 217 ORtg...he also didn't shoot the ball, and had only 1 rebound and 3 fouls. The 2 assists gave him that rating. Good grief.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:17:30 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »
C'mon... state his usage. You know better.

Yes, the last game he played 15 or more he played 21 mins and had an astromical 217 ORtg...he also didn't shoot the ball, and had only 1 rebound and 3 fouls. The 2 assists gave him that rating. Good grief.

I don't think anybody's saying that Sandy is a star, or will be a star this coming season. But he's not a complete stiff, either.

Sandy is a good athlete with solid shooting form. He brings energy to the court and is a total team player. Against Wisconsin, he played excellent defense, helping limit Nigel Hayes to 4 of 18 shooting and just 10 points (his fourth-lowest scoring total of the season). But he's only shown flashes so far. Sometimes encouraging, sometimes confounding.

Can he raise his game to the next level? It's possible. Based on the playing time he got last season (23 games with 20+ minutes), it seems like Wojo believes in his potential. If so, he could play a key role on the team. But we won't know until the start of the season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »
I don't think anybody's saying that Sandy is a star, or will be a star this coming season. But he's not a complete stiff, either.

Not sure why that's your reply to me? My comment was focused solely on praise given to him for a great ORtg in the "last 8 games he played at least 15 minutes in"... the reason for my comment is because he was invisible in most of those games and never once had a 20% usage game in any of them... more than half of them were sub-10% usage games.

Hey, a 217 ORtg sounds great... but when you didn't do anything in 21 minutes other than get 2 assists, it's an important piece of information to consider.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »
Not sure why that's your reply to me? My comment was focused solely on praise given to him for a great ORtg in the "last 8 games he played at least 15 minutes in"... the reason for my comment is because he was invisible in most of those games and never once had a 20% usage game in any of them... more than half of them were sub-10% usage games.

Hey, a 217 ORtg sounds great... but when you didn't do anything in 21 minutes other than get 2 assists, it's an important piece of information to consider.

I didn't read auburn's post as praise, and he never said that Sandy had a "great ORtg." He was simply pointing out some contributions that others may have overlooked — such as defensive rebounding.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »
I didn't read auburn's post as praise, and he never said that Sandy had a "great ORtg." He was simply pointing out some contributions that others may have overlooked — such as defensive rebounding.

He pointed out his offensive rating, but failed to note that he was nearly invisible so it mattered little.

In conference, Sandy had a usage of 12.1% -- and that was with the "help" of a 24%+ turnover rate.

Conference comps:
Derrick Wilson Sr Year: 97 Ortg, 13.3% usage, 21.7% turnover rate, OR% 3.4% for the 6'1" PG
Sandy Cohen So Year: 91 Ortg, 12.1% usage, 24.2% turnover rate, OR% 1.0% for the 6'6" wing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
He pointed out his offensive rating, but failed to note that he was nearly invisible so it mattered little.

In conference, Sandy had a usage of 12.1% -- and that was with the "help" of a 24%+ turnover rate.

Conference comps:
Derrick Wilson Sr Year: 97 Ortg, 13.3% usage, 21.7% turnover rate, OR% 3.4% for the 6'1" PG
Sandy Cohen So Year: 91 Ortg, 12.1% usage, 24.2% turnover rate, OR% 1.0% for the 6'6" wing

Not to sound like a geezer, but this is the problem with some of these new-fangled stats the kiddies love today.

I'll take Hankster's 10 easy rebounds a game, thank you.