[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] How will Wally Ellenson Leaving Effect Marquette?  (Read 14709 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] How will Wally Ellenson Leaving Effect Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »
Send us our check TAMU!   ;D

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Ellenson will be Marquett'e first lottery pick in the modern era?  What era was Wade drafted in?

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »
who cares if henry is upset? he was a one and done on a team that didn't even make the NIT. Besides MU has plenty of great players in the nba. Henry may not even see the floor next year unless his defense improves by orders of magnitude. This won't hurt or help recruiting. Wojo wants to win, would be nice to get a tourney appearance in jajuan and luke's last year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »
Send us our check TAMU!   ;D

I'll have Andrei send my next paycheck to you
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
Ellenson will be Marquett'e first lottery pick in the modern era?  What era was Wade drafted in?

I view the modern era of Marquette basketball as our time in the Big East.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
I'll have Andrei send my next paycheck to you

;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »

So I was going to make a joke about "The Dukiet-Crean Era," and when I was Googling for the exact dates, I came across this:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1989/03/17/page/82/article/marquette-decides-to-dump-dukiet

First I came across this little tidbit of information, and holy shnikes... I never thought I'd say this, but think of the sh|tstorm (to put it mildly) MU avoided by hiring Crean.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
The question is how will this situation change the perception of Wojo among recruits.   This seems to be following a now 3 coach tradition of getting rid of fringe players.    House-Creaning, Buzz- cutting, and now Pole-axing.     How does it change the average scooper's perception of Wojo?   We are a miniscule subset of MU fans, but is this just the business of college basketball or does it feel squirmy?    Or does the answer to that question dovetail with your existing opinion of Wojo?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:49:29 PM »
The question is how will this situation change the perception of Wojo among recruits.   This seems to be following a now 3 coach tradition of getting rid of fringe players.    House-Creaning, Buzz- cutting, and now Pole-axing.     How does it change the average scooper's perception of Wojo?   We are a miniscule subset of MU fans, but is this just the business of college basketball or does it feel squirmy?    Or does the answer to that question dovetail with your existing opinion of Wojo?

Crean, Buzz and Wojo are all coaches trying to win at the highest level. As such, they'll all push the envelope. So will all the other coaches in D1.  It hasn't hurt Crean or Buzz in recruiting and it won't hurt Wojo. As Michael Corleone said, "This is the business we have chosen".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
I agree.   It is the nature of college athletics at the moment that scholarships are fluid things.   For better or worse.    And Wojo is apparently perceptive enough to realize the roster as currently constructed was not going to compete for the Big East Championship.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »
Very few programs have the luxury to waste a scholarship. It sounds harsh but any coach will tell you that a senior who isn't going to contribute in his final year of eligibility is a wasted scholarship.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
Wojo might be feeling the pressure to win and go to a tourney next year.  Do we want to become a premier team that goes to the tourney every year and that recruits know and like?  Or should we become a team that goes to the big dance every couple years and maybe wins the first round once in a while.  I am not saying this is the way to get there,  but might be the fastest.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
Our APR isn't great. Would not like to be in a situation where Henry and/or Wally don't finish out the semester satisfactorily. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
Our APR isn't great. Would not like to be in a situation where Henry and/or Wally don't finish out the semester satisfactorily.
I think Henry withdrew from classes. Wally is competing in track so he will finish out semester.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »
My position is this. I'm not a fan of how Wally was dismissed. We can banter about all the pluses and minuses, but the kid wanted to keep playing basketball and MU made that impossible. Wally will be okay and I don't expect long-term negative ramifications, but it leaves a sour taste. We could have used the Reinhardt scholarship on a big, we could have sent someone packing who could retain eligibility, we could have better prepared him to make sure he was eligible to leave as a graduate transfer.

What this says to me is "respect the process" is over. We are in win-now mode and that starts November 11. I've been fine with patience in the name of cleaning things up and improving the image of the program. If that will be eschewed, then we need to be back in the Tournament next year. Anything less would be a failure on the part of the coaching staff.

Let's get back to March runs and lots of wins.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
My position is this. I'm not a fan of how Wally was dismissed. We can banter about all the pluses and minuses, but the kid wanted to keep playing basketball and MU made that impossible. Wally will be okay and I don't expect long-term negative ramifications, but it leaves a sour taste. We could have used the Reinhardt scholarship on a big, we could have sent someone packing who could retain eligibility, we could have better prepared him to make sure he was eligible to leave as a graduate transfer.

What this says to me is "respect the process" is over. We are in win-now mode and that starts November 11. I've been fine with patience in the name of cleaning things up and improving the image of the program. If that will be eschewed, then we need to be back in the Tournament next year. Anything less would be a failure on the part of the coaching staff.

uhh,  ok Brew, we will remember that on all boards.  You are on the clock.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »

This is fair to me. There has been a lot of leniency with "building things the right way". Once that stops,  it's time to play with the big boys again.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
but the kid wanted to keep playing basketball and MU made that impossible.

Why do you take this one sided position?  Opinion, or do you have some info that substantiates this.  Certainly, if you take Wallys spin on this, yes he likely views it as one sided.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »
but the kid wanted to keep playing basketball and MU made that impossible.

I wouldn't be so certain about that.
TAMU

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »

Well said brew.  The expiration date for blaming the last coach, claiming losses are all part of a rebuilding process, or excusing postseason misses because we're "doing things the right way" has now officially passed.  Time to win.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
"Well said?" Whatever. I guess if you happen to agree with Brew then it's well said, right. So you know exactly what happened with Wally. Explain in detail since you have the story. Otherwise, just shut the hell up or find a team that you can go "win now" with. I think Wojo is going to get it done, but a lot of things need to fall into place. The league is tough and we need to stay healthy, find chemistry with our new recruits, and have guys show maturity in their game. Even with that, we need to make plays in the close games next year to finish in the top six in the league. That's just reality! Whatever the case, I'm a Marquette fan.

GO MU!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »
So I was going to make a joke about "The Dukiet-Crean Era," and when I was Googling for the exact dates, I came across this:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1989/03/17/page/82/article/marquette-decides-to-dump-dukiet

First I came across this little tidbit of information, and holy shnikes... I never thought I'd say this, but think of the sh|tstorm (to put it mildly) MU avoided by hiring Crean.

Can't believe I actually read that link in its entirety...interesting quote from John Ellenson about Dukiet's lack of communication. Also, note that "Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine" was being considered for the job. Whew, talk about dodging bullets.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »
To answer the question... Wallet was a good athlete, but, we need better to compete in the Big East.  It makes sense that he chose track.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
"Well said?" Whatever. I guess if you happen to agree with Brew then it's well said, right. So you know exactly what happened with Wally. Explain in detail since you have the story. Otherwise, just shut the hell up or find a team that you can go "win now" with. I think Wojo is going to get it done, but a lot of things need to fall into place. The league is tough and we need to stay healthy, find chemistry with our new recruits, and have guys show maturity in their game. Even with that, we need to make plays in the close games next year to finish in the top six in the league. That's just reality! Whatever the case, I'm a Marquette fan.

GO MU!

I'm a Marquette fan too.  You gotta have your head in the sand to not at least admit this is sketchy, but hey, it's what big time hoops programs do.  They get to the postseason too, so let's get back to doing that as well.

feedback