[Today at 08:41:54 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Holly Ellenson speaks...  (Read 76060 times)

LA

• Starter
Re: Holly Ellenson speaks...
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 08:50:53 PM »
Thank you. The rationalizations are just crazy. It's obvious what happened and Wojo damn well better win after burning a bridge with MU's first first lottery pick in 13 years.

Like Wally and Henry, she has every right to be upset. Let me say this, I don't care, but watching some of you folks contort yourselves to rationalize this into something other than what it is, is downright comical. Wally's value to the team declared for the NBA draft a week or two ago. He isnt any good, and Wojo cut him loose, because his scholarship is more valuable than he is. That's it. Period. End of Story.

Why some of you want to believe there is more to the story than that, I assume is to make yourselves feel better about Wojo and your Marquette fandom. Duane Wilson said it best...shady business. Its the business all parties involved have chosen, so that's life. Its also why I am less and less of a college sports fan every day.

Like I said earlier today, give me a guy like Calipari over Wojo, Crean, Buzz, etc. He calls the sham system what it is, and really makes no attempt to pretend to be something he's not, like most of these jokers. Its a professional sport. Most people just aren't willing to admit it. Bad for business.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
I am trying to remember the new rule, which I think started that started this year. It had something to do with guaranteeing players a scholarship if they were cut from the team and they decided not to transfer. It might of been a power 6 rule, but I thought MU indicated they would follow what the power 6 were going to do. In that case do not laud Wojo for getting him a full track schoarship, because he was guaranteed a scholarship anyways. Anyone remeber the exact rule. I know the change was discussed on this board sometime in the last 12 months.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
I am trying to remember the new rule, which I think started that started this year. It had something to do with guaranteeing players a scholarship if they were cut from the team and they decided not to transfer. It might of been a power 6 rule, but I thought MU indicated they would follow what the power 6 were going to do. In that case do not laud Wojo for getting him a full track schoarship, because he was guaranteed a scholarship anyways. Anyone remeber the exact rule. I know the change was discussed on this board sometime in the last 12 months.

It's a simple as he can qualify for a non revenue scholarship if he doesn't participate in a revenue sport.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »

Yes, I recall this. It's a rule you're making up. Congrats!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
Yes, I recall this. It's a rule you're making up. Congrats!

He only makes up the easy rules.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
I was hoping that Wally would develop into a Joe Fulce type player — crazy athleticism, great teammate, high energy off the bench, good rebounder and defender.

There's a good chance that player would have a place on this roster. But apparently Wally isn't that player.

It's Wojo's responsibility — to the team, the athletic department, the university and the fans — to field a roster with the best 13 scholarship players possible. Leaving the team this way is tough. Wally and his family don't have to like it. But all things considered, I think it's fair.

I hope Wally stays at Marquette to compete with the indoor track team and qualifies for the Olympics. Whatever he decides, I wish him the best of luck.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 10:10:12 PM »
Can't blame her, her kid got a raw deal.

What raw deal?  He's getting a free college education.   Who else wanted him for basketball?  Not anyone I remember.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »
If this is how it played out I completely agree with you.  The only question to me is if this possibility was ever broached during the recruiting process. (I.E. Depending on circumstances we may ask you to commit fully to the team at the expense of track).

A recruiting process that took place in early 2014?  I feel confident Wally was told track was fine unless it interfered with basketball and that wasn't something he was hearing from too many (if any) other schools.  But I don't think any player is promised minutes, his pecking order on the team, or his place two or more seasons down the road.  In that regard, it would be more unfair to unload Sandy or Sacar right now although I suppose both would land elsewhere with full basketball rides.  I understand that this isn't Wally's ultimate preference which was to play basketball and high jump in a marriage really not perfect for either.  Ultimately, Wojo decided not to make that option available. I'd be hard pressed to assume he could have had that all figured out 2 years ago, long before Henry committed and then headed off to the NBA leaving us without a viable power forward.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
This seems crappy as hell.  Way to completely use the kid.  This exemplifies the worst of the NCAA.  This just smells terrible.

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
This seems crappy as hell.  Way to completely use the kid.  This exemplifies the worst of the NCAA.  This just smells terrible.

Ha!  He was so used.  Every time I make my student loan payment I wish I was used like this.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
Interesting new poster.  8-)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
Obviously Wally should've come out as tranny a few days ago.  No way the admin would cut him with the lib media backlash coming.

your loss dude.  next

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
A recruiting process that took place in early 2014?  I feel confident Wally was told track was fine unless it interfered with basketball and that wasn't something he was hearing from too many (if any) other schools.  But I don't think any player is promised minutes, his pecking order on the team, or his place two or more seasons down the road.  In that regard, it would be more unfair to unload Sandy or Sacar right now although I suppose both would land elsewhere with full basketball rides.  I understand that this isn't Wally's ultimate preference which was to play basketball and high jump in a marriage really not perfect for either.  Ultimately, Wojo decided not to make that option available. I'd be hard pressed to assume he could have had that all figured out 2 years ago, long before Henry committed and then headed off to the NBA leaving us without a viable power forward.

I understand what you're saying, and while you can't predict the future, Wojo is or should be smart enough to lay out all possible scenarios. Of course maybe he doesn't get Wally and Henry in the first place if he had done so.

Overall I'm not particularly upset aside from some minor concerns of not having HE as a recruiting asset.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »

You're wasting your time. The vast majority here are falling all over themselves to defend good ol' MU. Of course, if UW had pulled a stunt like this....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:35:00 PM by Groin_pull »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »
Ha!  He was so used.  Every time I make my student loan payment I wish I was used like this.

Wally would have gotten free tuition wherever he went.  Wojo used him to get Henry, seems plain and simple.  I also doubt (though admit I have no source) that Wojo told Wally that he had a scholly as long as Henry was at MU.  Nice example of Cura Personalis.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »
You're wasting your time. The vast majority here are falling all over themselves to defend good ol' MU. Of course, if UW had pulled a stunt like this....

Your right, I would have.  Damn rodents are sketchy. 

Still think the big question is if Wally had a choice to fully commit to the team or not.  If he was given a choice of preparing for next year or training for the Olympics, I'm fine with what happened.

In life we don't get everything we want.  We have to make tough choices some times.

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:20 PM »
Wally would have gotten free tuition wherever he went.  Wojo used him to get Henry, seems plain and simple.  I also doubt (though admit I have no source) that Wojo told Wally that he had a scholly as long as Henry was at MU.  Nice example of Cura Personalis.

Wojo's job is to win basketball games.  He needs to do what is necessary within the rules to do that.  If a player doesn't help in that goal he should find an upgrade.   Players will do what is in their best interest and so should coaches. 

As for Wally, I don't recall a long list of schools lined up to give him a ball scholarship after he left MN.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »
So does this mean MU gets another commitment in the next few days? If not, why make this move?

Jjfannec

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »
Are we now supposed to pretend like Wojo didn't know Wally was going to compete in track?

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:16 PM »
So does this mean MU gets another commitment in the next few days? If not, why make this move?

Maybe he was tired of hearing from the pain in the ass parents.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »

You can argue Wally used us too. It works both ways.

He wasn't going to play anywhere half decent without his Little bro
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
Are we now supposed to pretend like Wojo didn't know Wally was going to compete in track?

Good to see the UW fans are concerned about the Ellensons.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2016, 11:03:45 PM »
Didn't John Ellenson transfer from MU?  Not that it's relevant to this situation, but don't recall his loyalty to MU running real deep....

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »
You can argue Wally used us too. It works both ways.

He wasn't going to play anywhere half decent without his Little bro

Really?  Seems like a stretch.  You don't think a guy like Wally could have gotten a scholly, and even playing time at a different school?  You think there weren't AAC or A-10 teams that could have used him?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
You know where stuff like this happens? Big time programs.

Aside from MU message boards and the Badger boards no one cares. And it happens at Madison as well so who cares what they have to say.

If Wally's replacement kicks ass, few here will care.

feedback