[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Holly Ellenson speaks...  (Read 76027 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Holly Ellenson speaks...
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »
Like Wally and Henry, she has every right to be upset. Let me say this, I don't care, but watching some of you folks contort yourselves to rationalize this into something other than what it is, is downright comical. Wally's value to the team declared for the NBA draft a week or two ago. He isnt any good, and Wojo cut him loose, because his scholarship is more valuable than he is. That's it. Period. End of Story.

Why some of you want to believe there is more to the story than that, I assume is to make yourselves feel better about Wojo and your Marquette fandom. Duane Wilson said it best...shady business. Its the business all parties involved have chosen, so that's life. Its also why I am less and less of a college sports fan every day.

Like I said earlier today, give me a guy like Calipari over Wojo, Crean, Buzz, etc. He calls the sham system what it is, and really makes no attempt to pretend to be something he's not, like most of these jokers. Its a professional sport. Most people just aren't willing to admit it. Bad for business.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:39:26 PM by NavinRJohnson »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 07:15:13 PM »
I think what he is getting at is that it is not worth the potential fallout for a 1 year rental. Hard to disagree

Really easy to disagree. Reinhardt will be a starter for us next season and will help us get back to the postseason. The fallout from this will be over in the blink of an eye.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Here's my theory;

The Ellenson brothers planned (and probably told) Wojo they were going to play together for two years. Henry had a great individual season and went back on his word because who wouldn't if millions are on the line. Wojo got pissed that Henry threw a wrench into his plans (obviously he wasn't looking for a PF until very recently) and had to come up with another plan to remain competitive next year. That plan includes making Wally drop out of the program and focus on the high jump. Wally and the Ellenson's don't like the new plan. Wojo says what the heck, you guys put me in this position and forces them to do it anyway.

I think that makes the most sense with all the info out there. Childish by both sides...yes. But it makes sense.

No, it doesn't make any sense.  This is completely wrong.

Hank was gowne from the day he committed to MU after 1 year.  There was never a doubt about that, to anyone, and his departure was never a surprise, to anyone.

Wojo didn't force Walter to focus on high jump.  Wojo forced Walter to make a decision about where he needed to focus all of his attention on.  He didn't allow him to split his attention between 2 sports and allow Walter to miss certain events (practice, weights, etc.) that the other 12 scholarship basketball players were forced to be at by being on scholarship.

If the Ellensons have sour grapes about it I'm sorry to hear that.  Thank you to Hank for spending your 1 year here and you're welcome to the family for your $130K in tuition money.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 07:20:50 PM »
Here's my theory;

The Ellenson brothers planned (and probably told) Wojo they were going to play together for two years. Henry had a great individual season and went back on his word because who wouldn't if millions are on the line...

If your theory is correct, Wojo should be fired tonight because he's too much f an idiot to be a coach.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »

I guess this means Ella isn't going to sign with Marquette, either.
Have some patience, FFS.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 07:28:20 PM »

Hank was gowne from the day he committed to MU after 1 year.  There was never a doubt about that, to anyone, and his departure was never a surprise, to anyone.

Wojo didn't force Walter to focus on high jump.  Wojo forced Walter to make a decision about where he needed to focus all of his attention on.  He didn't allow him to split his attention between 2 sports and allow Walter to miss certain events (practice, weights, etc.) that the other 12 scholarship basketball players were forced to be at by being on scholarship.

If the Ellensons have sour grapes about it I'm sorry to hear that.  Thank you to Hank for spending your 1 year here and you're welcome to the family for your $130K in tuition money.

This guy gets it. The parents are a MAJOR... M-A-J-O-R problem. It's tolerable when the kid is a lotto pick but when he is the 13th man then the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
So,

Wally still maintains a full scholarship ride at MU.

Wally can now concentrate on his Olympic ability as a track/field athlete full time. 

Wally probably told by staff that his minutes will be non existent next year due to incoming recruits.

Wally's family upset over his basketball career, when in reality next year it would be sitting at end of bench. He would not even have a shot at NBDL or a Europe gig. I for one, if my son was a potential Olympic candidate, would surely encourage him to totally commit to Olympic aspirations.

Maybe Wally liked the camaraderie of being on the basketball squad, but so be it. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
This guy gets it. The parents are a MAJOR... M-A-J-O-R problem. It's tolerable when the kid is a lotto pick but when he is the 13th man then the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

I'm not saying the parents are even at fault.  I understand why they're upset.  Their kid likes the game of basketball, he was on the team with his brother, he wanted to continue playing.  But when the brother is gone and the son is not a rotational guy, you can't also be away from the team during offseason workouts and be surprised when the coach asks you to commit one way or the other.  All in or All out.  Sure it sucks, but at the same time, is it really all that unfair?  In my mind, not at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

I think that's where I'm at.  Moreover, we also scheduled an exhibition with Bumblecrap U. just so the family could have a reunion weekend AND we found a way for Wally to remain a full scholarship athlete to finish up his degree next year.  The ONLY thing we did to him was to say some other more qualified athlete gets his basketball jersey next year. 

Wait a minute..... Wasn't Reinhardt pictured wearing #22?  It all fits now.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:40:30 PM by jsglow »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
To be honest....Wojo created this mess...Had MU made the NCAA's this past season do you think ANY of this would be an issue?? The answer is no. Why?? Let's say MU goes 23-7 and cruises into the NCAA's. He knows Henry is leaving but looks at the rest of the roster and says..."yeah, the core is good enough to make the tourney again next year", and simply replaces Wally with Reinhardt. Now you have Rowsey eligible...and it's an NCAA team again WITH Wally. My point is...Wojo didn't upgrade the talent enough his first two years, and badly miscalculated how much Henry would help this last year(you can argue whether it's on him or on the team itself, but it's HIS team), so now he is in "scramble" mode because he's feeling pressure to win and win now, thus he's recruiting in that manner. The thing that upsets me the most about it is it's apparently taken him 3 years to figure that out.

This all could have been avoided very easily...WIN F'N games. Period. It solves everything. This is HIS bed, and he has to lie in it now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »

I agree that this is most likely how the scenario unfolded. At the same time, this situation must have been discussed previously. It was obvious this crossroad was approaching.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »
So,

Wally still maintains a full scholarship ride at MU.

Wally can now concentrate on his Olympic ability as a track/field athlete full time. 

Wally probably told by staff that his minutes will be non existent next year due to incoming recruits.

Wally's family upset over his basketball career, when in reality next year it would be sitting at end of bench. He would not even have a shot at NBDL or a Europe gig. I for one, if my son was a potential Olympic candidate, would surely encourage him to totally commit to Olympic aspirations.

Maybe Wally liked the camaraderie of being on the basketball squad, but so be it. 

Really stop with the "Wally doesn't know how good he has it" rationalizations.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
To be honest....Wojo created this mess...Had MU made the NCAA's this past season do you think ANY of this would be an issue?? The answer is no. Why?? Let's say MU goes 23-7 and cruises into the NCAA's. He knows Henry is leaving but looks at the rest of the roster and says..."yeah, the core is good enough to make the tourney again next year", and simply replaces Wally with Reinhardt. Now you have Rowsey eligible...and it's an NCAA team again WITH Wally. My point is...Wojo didn't upgrade the talent enough his first two years, and badly miscalculated how much Henry would help this last year(you can argue whether it's on him or on the team itself, but it's HIS team), so now he is in "scramble" mode because he's feeling pressure to win and win now, thus he's recruiting in that manner. The thing that upsets me the most about it is it's apparently taken him 3 years to figure that out.

This all could have been avoided very easily...WIN F'N games. Period. It solves everything. This is HIS bed, and he has to lie in it now.

Wojo is feeling absolutely no pressure whatsoever.  And rightfully so.  We're heading into year 3.  So your entire theory goes right out the door.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
This is why twitta tracka is a lock to win the meme tournament. 
OP, can you add the scrolling text to the bomb graphic?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »
edited:  Going to wait and see if we hear some of the details too many moving parts at this point.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:22:37 PM by forgetful »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »
Let's also not forget he's getting possibly the first ever full ride track scholarship in MU history!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »

Really stop with the "Wally doesn't know how good he has it" rationalizations.

Sultan, I had totally been on your side until I learned that they created a full scholarship for him, possibly to the detriment of other track athletes (not sure, of course).  I would have thought it totally wrong to not facilitate his graduation on Marquette's dime because it would have been impossible for him to transfer and get a scholarship because of the 6 year limit.  But they are facilitating his undergrad degree.  They are simply telling him that his way to earn that degree for free is to do what he does best.

In business, sometime you're told your assignment is in another city because of a reorg.  You can take it if you like.  That's way different than 'you're gone, we're bringing in our own folks so pack up right now while we watch so you don't take the stapler.'

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
Let's also not forget he's getting possibly the first ever full ride track scholarship in MU history!

Given his talent in track, that's not a stretch.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
Wojo is feeling absolutely no pressure whatsoever.  And rightfully so.  We're heading into year 3.  So your entire theory goes right out the door.

Pressure from himself...but he SHOULD be feeling pressure from admin too. Season tickets will drop again this year, donations to B&G will drop...MU fans are tired of the losing...and with every reason to be. If the admin isn't starting to feel the heat because of the loss of revenue and realys that to Wojo in whatever manner necessary, then they are being negligent and quite honestly, their commitment to the MU BB program(the life blood of the University), isn't where it needs to be. there hasn't been a decent, commited admn since Father Wild/Cords. At least not to the extent they were.

The program lost a lot of luster and momentum under the sham that was Pilarsz and Larry, and it's going ot take a long time to dig out of the mess they created.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »
Sultan, I had totally been on your side until I learned that they created a full scholarship for him, possibly to the detriment of other track athletes (not sure, of course).  I would have thought it totally wrong to not facilitate his graduation on Marquette's dime because it would have been impossible for him to transfer and get a scholarship because of the 6 year limit.  But they are facilitating his undergrad degree.  They are simply telling him that his way to earn that degree for free is to do what he does best.

In business, sometime you're told your assignment is in another city because of a reorg.  You can take it if you like.  That's way different than 'you're gone, we're bringing in our own folks so pack up right now while we watch so you don't take the stapler.'

I'm not saying it didn't work out for him.  I mean he's not living in poverty either.  I just don't like the "well its better for him" rationalizations.  He's an adult.  He knows what he wants and what might be better for him. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »

Pat Smith

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
Pat Smith

Maybe Ralph Metcalf, too?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
Maybe Ralph Metcalf, too?

One of Marquette's true greats. Olympian overshadowed by Jessie Owens. Went on to serve in Congress.

Death on call

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
Pressure from himself...but he SHOULD be feeling pressure from admin too. Season tickets will drop again this year, donations to B&G will drop...MU fans are tired of the losing...and with every reason to be. If the admin isn't starting to feel the heat because of the loss of revenue and realys that to Wojo in whatever manner necessary, then they are being negligent and quite honestly, their commitment to the MU BB program(the life blood of the University), isn't where it needs to be. there hasn't been a decent, commited admn since Father Wild/Cords. At least not to the extent they were.

The program lost a lot of luster and momentum under the sham that was Pilarsz and Larry, and it's going ot take a long time to dig out of the mess they created.

You open the post by saying wojo should be feeling the pressure and then conclude it by conceding that it will take a long time to turn it around? Wojos seat is very cool right now. He had nothing to work with in year 1 and the 8th youngest team in the country in year 2. Let's revisit the state of the program after year 3.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »

If this is how it played out I completely agree with you.  The only question to me is if this possibility was ever broached during the recruiting process. (I.E. Depending on circumstances we may ask you to commit fully to the team at the expense of track).

feedback