'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Making Our Schedule  (Read 19139 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Making Our Schedule
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »
Al apparently dealt directly with the late Father John P. Raynor, then President of Marquette University.

Can you imagine Al going into Father Pilarz and telling him, "Father, you took the vow of poverty. I didn't" in response to Marquette compensation offer?

Father DiUilio would have chased Al off and been as effective in operating the basketball team as he was in closing Wisconsin Avenue. Yikes!

Al would have been fine with Fr Wild (as he was with Fr Raynor). Those other "bosses"? Not so much.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
So are you saying Al would disagree with Al or are you disdaining the use of teal?

Nicely played, Lenny.

Or was it ... ?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
Nicely played, Lenny.

Or was it ... ?

Yet another example of why I love Scoop.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 01:38:13 PM »
Al would have been fine with Fr Wild (as he was with Fr Raynor). Those other "bosses"? Not so much.

I suspect Al may have known Father Wild, since Father Wild had been on campus as a Philosophy professor back in the 1970s.

But I absolutely agree. Father Wild is an incredible gentleman and a fine leader.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
In today's PC world, we couldn't have an Al. Given the way he ran our program and the willingness he had to "not know his place" and say what was on his mind, Marquette would be the king of probation. They would emasculate us today.

Well, if Al were the coach of Marquette today ... he wouldn't be the coach of Marquette today.

He would have gotten HUGE money from the Bucks, and Marquette wouldn't have stopped him from leaving because that's not what universities do any more. They would have accepted whatever buyout $ Al's contract would have called for and gone out and hired a new coach.

Many of us would have spent years ripping Al as a traitor and making fun of him. Woulda called him a snake-oil salesman, for sure. Others would have been happy such a "squirmy" character was gone. Simultaneously, many would have spent years bitching that the new coach wasn't good enough.

Yep, woulda been fun to have a world in which Al and Scoop collided.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
Well, if Al were the coach of Marquette today ... he wouldn't be the coach of Marquette today.

He would have gotten HUGE money from the Bucks, and Marquette wouldn't have stopped him from leaving because that's not what universities do any more. They would have accepted whatever buyout $ Al's contract would have called for and gone out and hired a new coach.

Many of us would have spent years ripping Al as a traitor and making fun of him. Woulda called him a snake-oil salesman, for sure. Others would have been happy such a "squirmy" character was gone. Simultaneously, many would have spent years bitching that the new coach wasn't good enough.

All true.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »

I have no idea what was in Al's contract circa 1969-1970, but I'm almost willing to bet there was NO buyout clause in the contract. Or, if there was, the Milwaukee Bucks probably made it clear they would not pay it.

Sometimes things happen for the best. Al later admitted, he would not be suited to coach guys who made more than he did. And, Kareem coming down the pike a year or two later, there was no way Al would make more than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I also could never see Al duking it out with professional athletes who didn't buy in or got in his way.

Also would wonder how Al would have handled the pervasive drug use that was going on in the NBA by the late 1970s.

Al was a personality and a great teacher at Marquette. He was a perfect fit for the 1970s era college game. I'm glad we had him as her personified what Marquette was and is all about.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
I have no idea what was in Al's contract circa 1969-1970, but I'm almost willing to bet there was NO buyout clause in the contract. Or, if there was, the Milwaukee Bucks probably made it clear they would not pay it.

Sometimes things happen for the best. Al later admitted, he would not be suited to coach guys who made more than he did. And, Kareem coming down the pike a year or two later, there was no way Al would make more than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I also could never see Al duking it out with professional athletes who didn't buy in or got in his way.

Also would wonder how Al would have handled the pervasive drug use that was going on in the NBA by the late 1970s.

Al was a personality and a great teacher at Marquette. He was a perfect fit for the 1970s era college game. I'm glad we had him as her personified what Marquette was and is all about.

No argument.

There were no buyout clauses in 1970. There also were no big-money, multi-year contracts.

All's I said was that if this were today, Al would have had a huge contract with MU and that if he wanted to leave, MU wouldn't have stopped him as the school did way back when.