[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports  (Read 23476 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
Jake, why hire a plumber when my neighbor fixed his pipes once? ;D.

NY Fan doesn't seem to have much experience in the business world.

There is absolute no need for an "agent" at this point in Henry's career. The pay scales are slotted and there is a draft so he has no real choice where he is going. The contract can be handled by any reasonably competent corporate attorney. A tax accountant is necessary do to the complexities of state filings. Further down the road ,If Henry does well on the court, he can hire a PR firm for a very nominal price. They will get him plenty of hype of promotion and companies will be pounding on the door for endorsements.  The large corporations who pay the big contracts prefer to deal with solid professionals. Collectively those three professionals are the appropriate "agents" a kid like Henry needs.

The concept of agent that people see in the "Jerry McGuire" movie is far from the reality of what is actually required and Henry  is paying a fortune for something not really needed. I don't blame Henry, as he and his family have no experience in these matters. So they default to the glossy presentation.

My comments are based on years of experience dealing with these kinds of issues with professional sports teams, their owners  and players, drivers etc and the branded  products world and media industry  that create the economic wheelhouse around that the players benefit from.

I am sure in the short run everything for Henry will work out fine the way it is. The potential trouble will come when he becomes a solid player and hits  on a big second contract.  Ask Kareem how things went with him and his "agent"
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »
There is absolute no need for an "agent" at this point in Henry's career. The pay scales are slotted and there is a draft so he has no real choice where he is going. The contract can be handled by any reasonably competent corporate attorney. A tax accountant is necessary do to the complexities of state filings. Further down the road ,If Henry does well on the court, he can hire a PR firm for a very nominal price. They will get him plenty of hype of promotion and companies will be pounding on the door for endorsements.  The large corporations who pay the big contracts prefer to deal with solid professionals. Collectively those three professionals are the appropriate "agents" a kid like Henry needs.

The concept of agent that people see in the "Jerry McGuire" movie is far from the reality of what is actually required and Henry  is paying a fortune for something not really needed. I don't blame Henry, as he and his family have no experience in these matters. So they default to the glossy presentation.

My comments are based on years of experience dealing with these kinds of issues with professional sports teams, their owners  and players, drivers etc and the branded  products world and media industry  that create the economic wheelhouse around that the players benefit from.

I am sure in the short run everything for Henry will work out fine the way it is. The potential trouble will come when he becomes a solid player and hits  on a big second contract.  Ask Kareem how things went with him and his "agent"

Yet pretty much every player has one.  Including players like Ray Allen who with great fanfare went without one, then ended up hiring one later on in his career.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »

Yet pretty much every player has one.  Including players like Ray Allen who with great fanfare went without one, then ended up hiring one later on in his career.
I am not saying have a representative, I am just drilling down on what I believe the appropriate level of representation is.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/01/kareem-abdul-jabbars-biggest-money-regret.aspx
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
???

So because Kareem's agent was a fraud, or Kareem didn't pay enough attention, therefore agents are bad?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »

I'm stunned the same guy who thinks  "those people who serve no purpose for Hank",  is the same guy who is terrified he might be murdered if he walked around the neighborhood  near the Barclay's Center at night.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »
I'm stunned the same guy who thinks  "those people who serve no purpose for Hank",  is the same guy who is terrified he might be murdered if he walked around the neighborhood  near the Barclay's Center at night.
Brooklyn is not as safe as they would like you to think it is.
                       ---Al McGuire

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2016, 12:29:22 AM »
Brooklyn is not as safe as they would like you to think it is.

You are not as smart as you would like people to think you are.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Anyone else hearing that Hank looked slow vertically  at team tryouts?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:23 PM »
In the recent mocks the earliest I've been seeing him go is 9 to Toronto. Still the right decision for him to leave, but the "ceiling" of a few guys may push him down a bit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
Anyone else hearing that Hank looked slow vertically  at team tryouts?

Not surprising - Hank looked a little slow vertically all last year.