[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Maui 2017  (Read 23005 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Maui 2017
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
Don't be afraid to stray away from hotels and look for an Airbnb as well. You can find some real steals on Airbnb.

I don't know the situation in Hawaii, but I'm going to Rome over Christmas and there was a  lovely place a block away from the Vatican that me and my friend paid about $50 (each) for two nights.

FWIW There are a few more risks associated with Airbnb as well. I've had good luck in our few stays at Airbnb locations, but they don't have the same requirements for smoke and CO alarms or insurance that hotels do.

It can work out fine, we had good luck with a full house in New Orleans, but if something goes wrong, you aren't necessarily protected like you would be at a licensed hotel.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »
FWIW There are a few more risks associated with Airbnb as well. I've had good luck in our few stays at Airbnb locations, but they don't have the same requirements for smoke and CO alarms or insurance that hotels do.

It can work out fine, we had good luck with a full house in New Orleans, but if something goes wrong, you aren't necessarily protected like you would be at a licensed hotel.

+1

Hawaii's tourism dept. takes their job very seriously, and I would not advise going off their radar.  Keep in mind that outside the tourist areas and private villas, the locals live very modestly (i.e. poor) and don't always have the standard amenities we take for granted.  It's nowhere near as bad as the USVI where it actually is third-world in some parts, but I would exercise extreme caution with Airbnb on Maui and do your diligence starting with inquiring as to whether the host is licensed with the State as a transient/rental property.  And if you see an Airbnb at a property that looks amazing, it may be a weekly/monthly vacation rental, in which case, be careful... I have heard of cases where someone rents a larger vacation property and then sub-rents beds on Airbnb... up until the owner/manager finds out and shuts the whole thing down.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 10:20:15 PM »
I can't go to Hawaii next November, so I'm doing the next-best thing ... I'm going in Feb/March for 2 weeks.

Aloha, baby!

It'll be fun crawling out of bed and watching that Creighton game on March 4. Can't beat 9 a.m. MU hoops!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
Marquette posted an information page for Maui online yesterday: http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/2017-maui-invite.html and I have updated the guide above accordingly.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »
Marquette posted an information page for Maui online yesterday: http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/2017-maui-invite.html and I have updated the guide above accordingly.

Chick got our email yesterday I think.  Her response to me, "Maybe this would have been better timed just after the Nova game."

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »

Benny, Thanks a ton for the Maui intel. My wife and I just booked our airfare and hotel. Perfect timing as we're celebrating her 40th birthday. We're staying at the team hotel, the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa.

Based on your recommendations and updates today, curious as to whether you feel our best option is to buy our tickets through the team (Booster tix) or should we buy them via one of the other channels you previously recommended.

Also, if you want to go to other games can you just buy them on the island?

Thanks again.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
Benny, Thanks a ton for the Maui intel. My wife and I just booked our airfare and hotel. Perfect timing as we're celebrating her 40th birthday. We're staying at the team hotel, the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa.

Based on your recommendations and updates today, curious as to whether you feel our best option is to buy our tickets through the team (Booster tix) or should we buy them via one of the other channels you previously recommended.

Thanks again.

Depends on how much you have donated to the Blue and Gold fund.  ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »
Depends on how much you have donated to the Blue and Gold fund.  ;)

Not enough for it to make an impact.  :D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »

Thanks again.

Buy your tickets for MU games through MU.... that's probably going to be the only way to ensure you're sitting in the MU section unless they re-release them on the tourney website in Aug/Sep.

Any other games, buy them on the island.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
+1

Hawaii's tourism dept. takes their job very seriously, and I would not advise going off their radar.  Keep in mind that outside the tourist areas and private villas, the locals live very modestly (i.e. poor) and don't always have the standard amenities we take for granted.  It's nowhere near as bad as the USVI where it actually is third-world in some parts, but I would exercise extreme caution with Airbnb on Maui and do your diligence starting with inquiring as to whether the host is licensed with the State as a transient/rental property.  And if you see an Airbnb at a property that looks amazing, it may be a weekly/monthly vacation rental, in which case, be careful... I have heard of cases where someone rents a larger vacation property and then sub-rents beds on Airbnb... up until the owner/manager finds out and shuts the whole thing down.

Benny, I'm impressed. Sounds like you and Ms. Benny have been there quite a few times.

Ms. Dgies and I -- in our pre-children days -- spent a week on Maui at the Hotel Hana Maui. Arrived there early evening and either could do the drive to Hana after a nine hour flight from ORD, spend the night at a hotel near the airport or charter an airplane to Maui.

We chartered the airplane for a 22 minute trip.

Hotel Hana probably was the best hotel ever for us. Cabanas we were in were incredible and the price -- and with pre-2000 Mileage Plus hotel coupons we stayed there for almost nothing. Loved the area around Hana. Highly recommend it but it is not cheap!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Benny, I'm impressed. Sounds like you and Ms. Benny have been there quite a few times.

Ms. Dgies and I -- in our pre-children days -- spent a week on Maui at the Hotel Hana Maui. Arrived there early evening and either could do the drive to Hana after a nine hour flight from ORD, spend the night at a hotel near the airport or charter an airplane to Maui.

We chartered the airplane for a 22 minute trip.

Hotel Hana probably was the best hotel ever for us. Cabanas we were in were incredible and the price -- and with pre-2000 Mileage Plus hotel coupons we stayed there for almost nothing. Loved the area around Hana. Highly recommend it but it is not cheap!

Actually, only once.  But if there's a scam somewhere and I haven't heard of it, I'll be impressed.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 10:04:04 PM »
Buy your tickets for MU games through MU.... that's probably going to be the only way to ensure you're sitting in the MU section unless they re-release them on the tourney website in Aug/Sep.

Any other games, buy them on the island.

Thanks, again.

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
Maui Tickets
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 05:42:28 AM »
Who is planning on going to Maui? Ticket and travel packet info is going out. Curious to hear tips or advice from those who went in 2007

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Maui Tickets
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »
Im going. Benny had a pretty good summary over in the super bar. Pretty sure you can't buy game tickets for another few months.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
Man, every time MU goes to Maui, I check into this. 

Airfare is just so wildly expensive, it's prohibitive for a family to get there, especially over Thanksgiving with the cheapest rate around $1300-1600 round trip. 

In conclusion, does some 1%er have room on their private jet for a party of 4?   The kids are well behaved.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Im going. Benny had a pretty good summary over in the super bar. Pretty sure you can't buy game tickets for another few months.

You get a flight out of MSP already?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
So jealous of all those planning to go.

Then again, Mrs. 82 and I head to Hawaii in 2 weeks - first week on Kauai, second on Big Island. Stoked!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
You get a flight out of MSP already?

Not yet, no. But hotel is booked.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »

Should I buy the tickets now?  I assume they won't be getting any cheaper as we get closer...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
Chapter 3 - Mahalo Rewards: How to Act Like a Native

Required Watching: South Park, Season 16, Episode 11 - "Going Native"

Road to Hana  Despite my earlier sentiments, it's actually a nice drive from what I hear.  No, Benny and the Mrs. didn't do Hana last time due to unexpected travel SNAFUs, but we're doing it this time.  The interwebs have no shortage of info on tips, tricks, secrets, etc., but plan on this taking a whole day.  My suggestion is Thursday since you probably won't see a lot of people on the road that day.  Or you might.  I don't know.

Haleakala  Drive up to the observatory of the highest peak on the island to watch the sunrise.  Again, travel SNAFUs prevented this last time, but the general consensus is to do this the night (early morning) after your arrival when your body is still 5-6 hours ahead, because you won't make it up there by sunrise unless you leave around 2:00-2:30a HST.

Maui Brewing Company  Unlike 2012, they now do public tours every day of the week.  However, they also do private tours for groups of 1-16 (min. age 10 years old)... check back here in October; on the likely chance that my kids have taken up residence with DCFS by mid-November (or we can find a babysitter), Benny and the Mrs. will be organizing a private tour of the Maui Brewing Company.

* $100 for the first 1/10th mile, $100 each mile thereafter.  Unless you have lots of really good beer back at your place, then we'll work something out.

Just got back from the honeymoon in Hawaii, part of which was on Maui.

1. Road to Hana, very cool, takes a long time, and don't be a coward, take it all the way around. Don't believe the rental car companies that you can't go past 7 Sacred Pools. Protip, on the far side is a winery with a burger joint that serves locally raised beef/lamb/venison/elk burgers. Wine is okay, nice but not special. Get the lamb burger; it is special.

2. Haleakala is surreal. We didn't do sunrise and it was still surreal. IF YOU DO DO SUNRISE GET A RESERVATION FROM THE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE. This literally just started on 2/1/17 and it would really be unfortunate to get turned away from the road up at like 3:30 a.m.

We went in the afternoon and basically had the mountain to ourselves, which was still awesome. I read that going at sunset can be cool. If the light is right I guess you can look at your shadow and see it ringed with a rainbow. Plus stars probably look pretty slick up there.

3. Maui Brewing was good. That's what we did after we landed before we could check into the resort. Again, unspectacular (kinda pricey) but solid offerings and unless you're a grade A beer snob, there'll be a few you'll like.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
If you want a classy meal, with a price to match, hit the Lahaina Grill. That was the best meal of our vacation and one of the best of my life.

Lastly, stay on the leeward side of the island. It's gorgeous.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »
Just got back from the honeymoon in Hawaii, part of which was on Maui.

1. Road to Hana, very cool, takes a long time, and don't be a coward, take it all the way around. Don't believe the rental car companies that you can't go past 7 Sacred Pools. Protip, on the far side is a winery with a burger joint that serves locally raised beef/lamb/venison/elk burgers. Wine is okay, nice but not special. Get the lamb burger; it is special.

2. Haleakala is surreal. We didn't do sunrise and it was still surreal. IF YOU DO DO SUNRISE GET A RESERVATION FROM THE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE. This literally just started on 2/1/17 and it would really be unfortunate to get turned away from the road up at like 3:30 a.m.

We went in the afternoon and basically had the mountain to ourselves, which was still awesome. I read that going at sunset can be cool. If the light is right I guess you can look at your shadow and see it ringed with a rainbow. Plus stars probably look pretty slick up there.

3. Maui Brewing was good. That's what we did after we landed before we could check into the resort. Again, unspectacular (kinda pricey) but solid offerings and unless you're a grade A beer snob, there'll be a few you'll like.

What other islands did you go to? If Kauai and/or Big Island, do you have any tips? We've been to Kauai many times but always appreciate hearing about things we might have missed. We haven't been to the B.I. since 1993, so it's probably changed a ton.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
It's been 4 long months of convincing, but after going to DC for Vandy and MSG for the 2K Classic, I finally convinced Mrs. brew to submit her PTO request so we can go to Maui to watch Marquette. Just starting to delve into details, whether I should plan it myself or go through Marquette, but thinking around 10 days in Maui would be a nice way to spend Thanksgiving.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
A few questions...

1) Is a car necessary? We generally like beach time and do get into excursion (hiking, biking, snorkeling) type stuff. Getting to and from the hotels to games, checking out the island, is it better to just rent a car for the whole time, for a few days, or is it a waste of money?

2) What's an ideal duration? I feel like 5 days (the MU package) isn't long enough. One friend told me 10, but man that seems like it will be very costly. I did find some very affordable (by Maui standards) flights going Thursday to Thursday.

3) For the $30 "priority seat" fee, will that be refunded if you aren't awarded those rows? Or should I direct that to Mike Worzalla?

4) Rough distance from team hotel to the arena?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:50:53 PM by brewcity77 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
A few questions...

1) Is a car necessary? We generally like beach time and do get into excursion (hiking, biking, snorkeling) type stuff. Getting to and from the hotels to games, checking out the island, is it better to just rent a car for the whole time, for a few days, or is it a waste of money?

2) What's an ideal duration? I feel like 5 days (the MU package) isn't long enough. One friend told me 10, but man that seems like it will be very costly. I did find some very affordable (by Maui standards) flights going Thursday to Thursday.

3) For the $30 "priority seat" fee, will that be refunded if you aren't awarded those rows? Or should I direct that to Mike Worzalla?

4) Rough distance from team hotel to the gym?

I have not visited Hawaii previously, but when I was researching I found that a lot of the hotels have car rental places adjacent where you can just rent a car the day you need one. 

feedback