[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Maui 2017  (Read 22821 times)

JTBMU7

• All American
Maui 2017
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:05:21 PM »
Taking the wife and  kids, (6, 4 & 2 at the time) to he Maui Classic in 2017... Also going with in laws who are Michigan grads with kids as well. Looking for any tips on travel, rentals, other events that would be worth checking out while there with the fam. Been to Maui in 2007 on our honeymoon but not since.
I'm  sure there will some MU sponsored events as well which we will attend but am more interested on travel and other tips to make the whole week fun.
Thanks!

Benny B

• All American
Re: Maui 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
Still a little too far out, but as the date gets closer, several of us (who went in 2012 or 2007) post plenty of tips, tricks, hacks, etc.  But for now, here are a couple threads with some tidbits of info.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=49184

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33012

Generally speaking, however....

The tournament is always held Mon-Tue-Wed before Thanksgiving... unlike other tourneys, there is no off day before the final round... unless you're travelling with the team, most fans stay arrive Sat/Sun, stay through Fri/Sat.

The "official" travel packages are usually announced in Spring... packages for the schools with larger travel parties (i.e. fans) typically go on sale before the schools who don't travel as well (or in large numbers).

MU's team hotel in 2012 was the Hyatt Regency... teams are usually spread out between the Hyatt, Westin, and Sheraton, all of which are located in Ka'anapali.  The Lahaina Civic Center (where games are held) are not exactly walking distance from the hotels (unless you're used to walking several miles a day).

Athletics (Blue & Gold) usually puts on at least one reception/cocktail hour at a local establishment; the HI Alumni club will probably put on another.  There's usually a send-off for the team before the game, and there's also a Luau on Thursday that's put on by the travel company.  Other than that, you're pretty much on your own for entertainment outside of the games.

Tickets go on sale to the general public in late summer (late-Aug/early-Sep).  Before that, the only way to secure tickets is through the travel packages.  Most every ticket available through the travel package or the public sale are general admission (except courtside seats).  Unless you're a hoops junkie and want the all-session ticket, the most popular choice is the "Booster" ticket which gets you into the games only for your team and seats all the fans from a school together behind the team's respective bench (you must have a "Booster" ticket to get into these sections, as I heard they were pretty tight on enforcing this in 2012).

Foodland Farms (which is the "fresh" alternative to the Safeway) sells mochi ice cream in bulk.  Ask for a hotel room with a freezer... otherwise, buy a foam cooler and go get some dry ice at Airgas in Kahului unless you want to be driving to FF three times a day.

Plenty of golf courses... there are two championship courses in Ka'anapali, and the Plantation Course (that hosts the tour-opening Hyundai every January) is only a couple miles north.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:50:45 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
Still a little too far out, but as the date gets closer, several of us (who went in 2012 or 2007) post plenty of tips, tricks, hacks, etc.  But for now, here are a couple threads with some tidbits of info.

The tournament is always held Mon-Tue-Wed before Thanksgiving... unlike other tourneys, there is no off day before the final round... unless you're travelling with the team, most fans stay arrive Sat/Sun, stay through Fri/Sat.

The "official" travel packages are usually announced in Spring... packages for the schools with larger travel parties (i.e. fans) typically go on sale before the schools who don't travel as well (or in large numbers).

MU's team hotel in 2012 was the Hyatt Regency... teams are usually spread out between the Hyatt, Westin, and Sheraton, all of which are located in Ka'anapali.  The Lahright Civic Center (where games are held) are not exactly walking distance from the hotels (unless you're used to walking several miles a day).

Athletics (Blue & Gold) usually puts on at least one reception/cocktail hour at a local establishment; the HI Alumni club will probably put on another.  There's usually a send-off for the team before the game, and there's also a Luau on Thursday that's put on by the travel company.  Other than that, you're pretty much on your own for entertainment outside of the games.

Tickets go on sale to the general public in late summer (late-Aug/early-Sep).  Before that, the only way to secure tickets is through the travel packages.  Most every ticket available through the travel package or the public sale are general admission (except courtside seats).  Unless you're a hoops junkie and want the all-session ticket, the most popular choice is the "Booster" ticket which gets you into the games only for your team and seats all the fans from a school together behind the team's respective bench (you must have a "Booster" ticket to get into these sections, as I heard they were pretty tight on enforcing this in 2012).

Foodland Farms (which is the "fresh" alternative to the Safeway) sells mochi ice cream in bulk.  Ask for a hotel room with a freezer... otherwise, buy a foam cooler and go get some dry ice at Airgas in Kahului unless you want to be driving to FF three times a day.

Plenty of golf courses... there are two championship courses in Ka'anapali, and the Plantation Course (that hosts the tour-opening Hyundai every January) is only a couple miles north.

....then there is always the beach!

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »

MU's team hotel in 2012 was the Hyatt Regency... teams are usually spread out between the Hyatt, Westin, and Sheraton, all of which are located in Ka'anapali.  The Lahright Civic Center (where games are held) are not exactly walking distance from the hotels (unless you're used to walking several miles a day).

Excellent work mods!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
Excellent work mods!

Ha.  I just tried to change twice before I realized it wasn't the autocorrect on my computer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
UPDATE 2/9/17 - LINK TO MARQUETTE ATHLETICS MAUI INVITE HOME PAGE

Now that the 2016 holiday tourneys are over, it's A'ight for Lahright (damn autocorrect).

As promised, the pages following will contain Benny's Ultimate Guide to the Maui Invitational.  This will be augmented, updated, etc. as the tourney approaches, announcements are made, I find more time, etc.

Chapter 1 - Making Plans & Booking
***If you are planning on booking an official travel package, please skip ahead to Chapter 2

1. Where to Stay - The Kaanapali resort (made up of four hotels and the vacation property complexes where "natives" stay) is home base for all of the teams and the majority of fans throughout the tourney.  As mentioned, teams typically stay at either the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Sheraton or Westin properties, and the official packages include accommodations at your team's hotel.  Now, some people opt for a rental property in Laha|na, some exchange timeshares, some camp out on the beach... but generally, everything happens in/around Laha|na and Kaanapali (northwest coast).  I know some people stay in Kihei and Wailea (southwest coast), the former of which has various "economical" (by Hawaii standards) options and the latter of which is home to several high-end rentals and resorts, but personally, I would suggest giving a second look to Napili and Kapalua (further north of Kaanapali) - either of which have similar economical and high-end offerings - before looking southwest.  Don't waste your vacation in the car... the drive from Wailea to Laha|na is pretty pretty, but once you've done it, you probably don't need to do it again.

UPDATE 2/9/17 - As was the case in 2012, MU's team hotel will be the Hyatt Regency in 2017.

2. Book Early - Hotel prices Maui, like most every resort property in the world, will inevitably rise as the date approaches... as a matter of example/comparison, Benny booked a rental car (convertible) for $500 and 6 nights at the Hyatt for $287/night in May 2012.  In early October 2012, the same reservations priced out over $1100 and $450/nt, respectively (all prices before taxes/fees).  If you're so inclined, once you have booked, check back every so often, and if the price does happen to drop, make a new reservation and cancel your old one (typically only works if you book a refundable reservation).

UPDATE 2/9/17 - If booked direct through the hotel, rooms at the Hyatt Regency are as low as $323 right now (Hyatt Gold Passport rate) or $379 at standard rates if you're staying more than 5 nights.

3. Exception to booking early: Airfare - The only people who should ever make a flight reservation 335 days ahead of time are those hoping to use miles to upgrade.  Strictly as a benchmark, $1200 isn't bad for R/T from ORD to OGG; if you can score something under a $1,000, that's awesome.  But don't try to anticipate the market... best advice I can give is as soon you find a reasonable and acceptable airfare, book it and don't look back.

UPDATE 2/9/17 - Not sure about UAL or DAL; however, AAL from ORD to OGG (mid-week departure, Fri return) is running $1006-1105 and $1231-1470 (Fri to Fri) right now depending on schedule/connection.  [Dammit... I looked back (Benny booked at $1275 last month in order to ensure his priority on the upgrade list).]

4. Upgrayyed - Do you have hotel points, airline miles, Avios, credit card rewards, etc. to use up?  This is as good a time as any, and upgrading flights/hotels on a Hawaiian vacation usually yields a pretty good return on your rewards.

5. Status - As soon as you've identified a hotel, get their credit card or stay however many nights necessary next year to get status with the hotel.  Even if you're a lowly silver-status traveler, you stand a much better shot at a nominal upgrade... this is because resort properties like the ones in Kaanapali typically have up to 20 different floorplans, even if they are only grouped into 10-12 categories.  So while you're likely not going to get upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite, silver status could mean the difference between a 250 SF king room in the middle of the ground floor and a 400 SF corner king room on the top floor.

6. Game Tickets (subject to change, info here is based primarily on 2012 experience) - Short Answer is you have four choices: Single-Game, All-Day (four games), All-Session (twelve games), and Booster (three games, team specific).

Don't be deterred by the whole "the only way to guarantee tickets is to buy the official travel package" spiel.  Tickets will go on sale in Aug/Sep and there will be plenty available.  Benny's Recommendation: Buy yourself a "booster" ticket... you need to specify the school and then you get a ticket for all three of that school's games in the "booster section," which is essentially the south bleachers behind the team's bench (baseline to half-court).  Even though booster seats are general admission, they do keep you to your section, i.e. the only way to sit with your fellow MU fans in the booster section is to buy a booster ticket (i.e. you can't buy a single-game ticket and mosey over to the south bleachers with the Warrior faithful)... otherwise, Single-game, All-Tournament, and All-Day tickets will seat you elsewhere... you'll either be assigned to a section like "baseline-west" (all-tournament reserved seats), "baseline-east" (single game general admission) "sideline-north" (all-day reserved and GA), "dumpster," "behind JayBee," etc. or you'll simply have a GA ticket for a bleacher seat anywhere except the booster sections.

Courtside seats are also available in three areas: home, away and general.  The home and away function like the booster seats in that you have to specify which team and you'll get tickets to all three of that team's games.  I'm not 100%, but I believe courtside-general are sold on an all-day and/or all-session basis only.

Ticket Prices: 2012 Pricing here --- http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33369.0  Rumblings from Chaminade are that booster seats will be $390 this year.  That's right... expect to pay upwards of $130 (i.e. a $60-70 premium) PER GAME just for the privilege of sitting amongst the Warrior faithful (it's probably worth it, by the way... but maybe not).

Single-game tickets will be made available for online purchase sometime in mid-November (a week or two before the tournament), and those will vary in price from around $80 for first round and third-place games, $100 for semi-final and championship games, and $30 all other loser's bracket games.  "Kama'a|na" tickets are usually available locally (i.e. in-person purchases only) starting in September.  Kama'a|na is basically code for residents-only discount, which last year amounted to $5-10 savings per game; however, my sources tell me they don't actually check your ID when you purchase or try to use those tickets, so if you know someone on the island, you can always go this route.

UPDATE 2/9/17 - Booster tickets ARE being offered through the MU ticket office or on the web at https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/marquette/EN/link/buy/details/17maui   They are not being called "booster tickets" at this time, but $390 will get you a ticket to each of MU's games (3 total) in the MU section.  Be sure you are logged into your My Marquette account when you purchase (this may be required) as you will have the option to be "wait-listed" for upgraded/reserved seats for an additional $30 each based on your past giving history (i.e. priority points).

7. Transportation - Airport to Laha|na/Kaanapali is about a 30 minute drive. Downtown Laha|na to Kaanapali is about 2.5 miles and Laha|na Civic Center (LCC) is halfway in between the two.  It's a constitutional from wherever you stay, so a rental car is helpful.  Can't speak to cab service, Uber, Lyft, etc. on the island... but public transportation isn't going to be much help.

8. Food - Hawaii is actually part of America... I know some people forget this, but it's true.  So the offerings are going to be the very same as you'll find anywhere else, with obvious leanings towards seafood and local cuisine (Kalua pig, poi, etc.).  Don't expect fresh-picked pineapple everywhere you turn, however.  Imagine my surprise in 2012 walking into Safeway and picking up a Dole pineapple with a tag that said "Product of Costa Rica."  However, if you make your way back to the Poke counter at said Safeway, you may see a guy with a big knife hacking away at a big fish (that's still wiggling).

Updated 2/15/17:
9. A la Carte or Package - This is pretty easy... let's assume two people arriving Sunday for 5 nights traveling a la carte wanting to duplicate the package offerings:

"Resort View" King Room at Hyatt: $2,475 ($408/night* + resort fees & taxes)
Tickets: $580 ($390 x 2)
Uber/Taxi to games: $60 ($20 R/T x 3) estimated
Banquet/Luau: $228 ($114 x 2)
Gift bag/Swag: $100 ($50 x 2)
Maui Jim Sunglasses: $400 ($200 x 2)
Total: $3,843 vs. Package Price of $4,718
*Gold Passport Member rate (free sign-up)

So as of today (2/15), it's about an $875 difference, which will diminish over time as hotel rates go up.  Nevertheless, there's something to be said for the customer service that a travel agency offers, especially if something goes awry.  The last thing you want is to have a vacation - especially a Hawaiian vacation - completely ruined by a SNAFU in ticketing/reservations, so having a professional on-site and on your side who can fix the situation for you quickly and painlessly could be invaluable.  So the question is what price do you put on peace of mind... for seasoned travelers like myself, that price is $0; however, for others - especially first-timers to the island - it could be priceless.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:11:34 AM by Benny B »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
Chapter 2 - What to Expect When You're Expecting (to go to Maui)

It's all about the hoops, baby.  Three games, guaranteed, win or lose, one each day Mon-Wed.  Start times can be as early as 8:00a and as late as 7:00p.  Unlike some holiday tournaments and the dance, there are no "sessions."  Games are spaced out pretty evenly and one ticket is good for one game, i.e. they shuffle everyone out when it's over, and queue up everyone waiting to get into the next game.  So unless you have an all-session pass, don't plan on staying around to watch the next game (or get there early to watch the end of the previous game).

LCC Seating.  The arena only seats 2,400, and there's only about 15 rows on the sidelines (and about half as many in the end zones), so unless you're one of those who sits in row BBB at the BC, you're not going to be disappointed wherever you sit.  But to reiterate, you have three choices: Booster, Non-Booster and Courtside.  As mentioned, the booster section consists of one side of the arena, with each team getting the half behind their respective bench.  All booster seating is general admission with two exceptions: courtside tickets and the first 3-4 rows of the booster sections have specific seat assignments; however, reserved seating in the booster sections cannot be purchased and is typically allocated to the team staff, families, admin, etc.  [I didn't actually figure this out until the third game in 2012... all three games, we sat in the same seats right next to one of the player's parents (who were unexpectedly hilarious, by the way) but vs. USC, a lady sat down on the other side of us introduced herself as Corey's mother... turns out that Mrs. Benny and I were actually sitting in the seats that were given to Buzz's family.  Fortunately, she was very gracious and there was still enough room around us that everyone could sit without having to ask anyone else (i.e. us) to move.  Not sure if I'll have as much luck with Wojo's mother-in-law this time.]

UPDATE 2/9/17 - MU is offering some of the reserved seating to the general public for $30 additional with allocation based on past giving to B&G (priority points).  No idea how many will be available, but unless they're going to more than three rows of reserved, it probably won't be much.

How many MU fans make the trip?  Hard to say exactly... at the games, the MU booster section was 65-75% filled, so I would estimate that MU's contingent was around 300-350 in 2012.  Now a good portion of that was staff & families, who - aside from the B&G and Alumni relations folks - didn't really mingle with the alums/fans.  At the MU alumni/booster events, there couldn't have been more than a hundred of us at any given one, although not all of the fans (particularly those with kids) would show up.  I only counted a few "local" MU alums/fans, of whom only one couple actually lived on Maui, so most people make the trip.... shot in the dark, but I would bet not more than 250 actual fans/alums make the trip. (Doc.... help me out here; what do you think?)

Do We Get to Hang Out With the Team?  The short answer falls into the category of "if you have to ask the question, then the answer is no."  That said, there is a pep-rally/send-off prior to the games where you might be able to snap a picture or two with a player.  If you stay at the team hotel, you might run into a player or coach in the lobby, on the elevator, in the pool, in the brunch line, etc.  If you want to be a PITA, you could bother them during the luau.  But for the most part, the teams are kept pretty busy, and generally, there are no public events with the players & coaching staff.

UPDATE 2/9/17 - There is a "Evening With the Coaches" banquet on the Sunday before the tournament that seems like you might be able to have some formal interaction with the team.  See Chapter 4 below for details.  This may or may not be in lieu of the Thanksgiving luau this year... the travel package is advertising a "Private Thanksgiving/Welcome Banquet" but I'm not sure if this is the same as the Evening w/Coaches.

What Is Included in the Travel Package  In years past, travel packages have been team-specific but usually entail accommodations during the tournament (Sun-Fri), booster tickets to the games, dinner/luau on one of the nights, transportation between the hotel and LCC on gameday, and a "welcome gift."  Anthony Travel will occasionally charter a fan flight from the university's home airport for teams with larger followings (UNC, Duke, KU, UK, etc.) and include that in their team's package, but I wouldn't expect that for Marquette.

UPDATE 2/9/17 - Travel packages have been announced.  See link in previous post for more info or click HERE to go directly to the Anthony Travel website; otherwise, here's a quick rundown from MU's website:

Travel Packages
Travel packages are available through Marquette's official travel partner, Anthony Travel.
For more information and to purchase a travel package, please visit here or call 888-632-6951
Each travel package includes:
- 5 nights' accommodations at the team hotel, The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
- General admission tickets to each of Marquette's three games (donors who qualify for an upgrade into reserved seats will be contacted)
- Transportation to all three Marquette games at the Lahright Civic Center
- Private welcome/Thanksgiving Banquet (This was going to be one or the other, it's a Turkey banquet as of 5/26)
- Maui Jim Maui Invitational Souvenir items
- Anthony Travel on site assistance
- and much more

*Upgraded rooms are available
**Additional nights are available

5-Night Land Package (11/19-11/24)
Single Occupancy: $3,409/person
Double Occupancy: $2,359/person
Triple Occupancy: $2,189/person
Quadruple Occupancy: $2,105/person
Child Rate: $1,199/child
Additional Nights: $395

Note the above rates are "Resort View" rooms, which typically means "overlooking the parking lot or highway."  Ocean "View" rooms, translated as "you can see the ocean if you can look over the pool & past the trees without being distracted by Benny's kids who are taunting the security guards on the playground outside your room") range from $3,815 for a single and $2,209 add'l for quad occupancy ($475 add'l nights).  Ocean "Front" rooms which are on the wings closest to the ocean, but still a good 40-50 yards away, range from $4,119 single to $2,285 quad ($525 add'l nights).

What to Wear  I'm not your mother/wife, so look somewhere else on this one, but I will say this: for God's sake... whatever schlocky "Hawaiian Shirt" they whip together and peddle at the Spirit Shop, DON'T BUY IT.  Seriously, there's no better way to say "I'm an obnoxious Haole" than buying some made in China t-shirt with flowers and an MU logo on it.  If you must, buy a vintage (or new) Reyn Spooner, Tori Richard or Kahala shirt off the interwebs, take it to a custom embroidery shop, and have them slap an MU logo on it.

Is the Tournament/Maui Kid-Friendly?  Yes, but the real question is whether your kids are Maui-friendly, i.e. it's a long damn plane ride, it's not cheap, and especially with jet lag, things can go south pretty quickly.  My suggestion if you're traveling with kids... add a buffer to the front end of your trip; in other words, consider coming in on Thursday or Friday and give your entire family a day to "reset."

Or do what Benny and the Mrs. are contemplating... request a hotel room that has french doors on the closet with looped handles and bring a bicycle lock.  As soon as you get to your room, show them how "cool" the insides of closets are in Hawaii, and once they're in, close the doors, pull out the lock and demonstrate to them what happens if they misbehave; then after your 20 second lecture, make it seem like you lost the key and spend 10 minutes pretending to search for it before "resigning yourselves" to the fact you must have left the key on the kitchen counter at home.  Then tell them to stay calm, go in the other room (just within earshot), and fake a call to the airline about that plane "that's leaving in one hour."  Hurriedly, tell the kids you'll be back "soon" then go out into the hallway in front of the room for a couple minutes and congratulate each other on an Oscar-worthy performance that has now assured a peaceful, enjoyable tournament.  Or just leave the kids at home, your call.

But yes, just about everything is kid-friendly, and there's no shortage of kids at the resorts.  After all, they don't build these adventure-pool-waterslide-lazy-river-watch-me-jump-off-this-fake-cliff-monstrosities at the resorts for the boomers and drunk Millenials.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:10:27 AM by Benny B »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
Chapter 3 - Mahalo Rewards: How to Act Like a Native

Required Watching: South Park, Season 16, Episode 11 - "Going Native"

Allow me to reiterate... if you don't have Hulu, pull up iTunes, pay the damn $2.99 and watch the episode.  You have almost a year to do this.  Even if you've never watched South Park before, watch just this one episode.  I promise you there are parts about bodily functions, nobody gets disemboweled, there are no Mormon jokes, just good, old-fashioned, American satire.  Now, remembering that the point of satire is to inspire people to reflect upon themselves... you can either be a Haole, try not to be a Haole or you can make fun of Haoles.  My suggestion is the latter, because guess what... you're a Haole, and the only thing worse than being a Haole is trying to pretend like you're not a Haole.  If you insist on saying "damn Haole" or "f---in' Haole," do it with fortitude and conviction, but don't ever say it in public.

Now that we got that out of the way...

What to Wear Yes, I'm actually going to repeat myself here, not because I'm trying to fill space, but because this is important: For God's sake... whatever schlocky "Hawaiian Shirt" they whip together and peddle at the Spirit Shop, DON'T BUY IT.  Seriously, there's no better way to say "I'm an obnoxious Haole" than buying some made in China t-shirt with flowers and an MU logo on it.  If you must, buy a vintage (or new) Reyn Spooner, Tori Richard or Kahala shirt off the interwebs, take it to a custom embroidery shop, and have them slap an MU logo on it.

That's it.  Seriously.  If you want to blend in, you can do so seamlessly by not acting like a moron and not wearing that wretched creation that the Spirit Shop will - undoubtedly - put out on the racks sometime this summer.

Chapter 3-A  What Else To Do (if you have a rental car, or you wish to hire Benny as your personal chauffeur*)

Road to Hana  Despite my earlier sentiments, it's actually a nice drive from what I hear.  No, Benny and the Mrs. didn't do Hana last time due to unexpected travel SNAFUs, but we're doing it this time.  The interwebs have no shortage of info on tips, tricks, secrets, etc., but plan on this taking a whole day.  My suggestion is Thursday since you probably won't see a lot of people on the road that day.  Or you might.  I don't know.

Haleakala  Drive up to the observatory of the highest peak on the island to watch the sunrise.  Again, travel SNAFUs prevented this last time, but the general consensus is to do this the night (early morning) after your arrival when your body is still 5-6 hours ahead, because you won't make it up there by sunrise unless you leave around 2:00-2:30a HST.

Maui Brewing Company  Unlike 2012, they now do public tours every day of the week.  However, they also do private tours for groups of 1-16 (min. age 10 years old)... check back here in October; on the likely chance that my kids have taken up residence with DCFS by mid-November (or we can find a babysitter), Benny and the Mrs. will be organizing a private tour of the Maui Brewing Company.

* $100 for the first 1/10th mile, $100 each mile thereafter.  Unless you have lots of really good beer back at your place, then we'll work something out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:28:55 AM by Benny B »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »
Chapter 4 - Official Marquette and Tournament Events & Announcements:

"An Evening with the Coaches" Banquet
Sunday, November 19

Join the coaches, players, and fellow fans of the 2017 Maui Jim Maui Invitational on Sunday, November 19 for an unforgettable evening. Enjoy a traditional Hawaiian buffet and get a sneak peek at the teams before they hit the hardwood.

Tickets are $165.00 each and can be purchased by clicking here.

Benny's Recommendation: Indifferent.  I don't know if I just missed it in 2012 or they didn't have it, but it seems like your best chance to get up close with the team... heck, if the kids are able to get a few autographs and mom and dad can get a selfie with TD, $165 might be money well-spent.

Stadium Club Hospitality All-Tournament Pass
The Stadium Club Hospitality All-Tournament Pass offers a place to go all day during each day of the tournament. This pass does not allow access to the arena for any games (a separate game ticket is required).

Amenities include:
- Shaded, lounge setup with ample seating
- Live television feed of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational
- Complimentary food (snacks and meals) and non-alcoholic beverages (beer and wine available at additional charge)

Tickets are $315.00 each and can be purchased by clicking here.

Benny's Recommendation: For $315, the beer and chi-chi's damn well should be complementary.  Save the coin for the hotel bar, download the WatchESPN app for your phone, and wait in line (also in the shade) with the rest of us.

Questions on the above
Please contact the Marquette Athletic Ticket Office at 414.288.4668 or athletics@marquette.edu.
For more information on the 2017 Maui Jim Maui Invitational, please visit mauiinvitational.com.
-or-
Feel free to post additional questions on Scoop and either myself, Doc Black, or others will be happy to respond.

Travel Package Events & Announcements

Maui Jim Maui Golf Classic $150
Sunday, Nov. 19

The Maui Jim Maui Classic will take place at the Ka’anapali Kai Golf Course on the morning of Sunday, Nov. 19. Kick off the pre-tournament festivities with a golf experience in paradise! Registration includes 18 holes of golf, cart fees, commemorative gifts and a post-round luncheon. Bring a team of four, or get paired up with fellow fans! For the non-golfers, lunch only options are also available. Winning players will receive a Tournament prize pack.

See more at: http://www.anthonytravel.com/marquette-maui/#upgrades

Benny's Recommendation: The golf outing is only being sold as an upgrade to the travel package at this time.  It speaking with Anthony Travel, it sounds like they might allow some "non-package" guests to register, but it would probably be a good idea to not count on playing in the Classic if you're travelling a la carte (and hope that they open it up to the public at a later date).

Private Thanksgiving/Welcome Banquet
Thursday, Nov. 23

Guests on the Anthony package will be treated to a banquet sometime during the week, but date is TBD at this point.  Anthony is waiting to see when the majority of their customers are departing.  In 2012, the banquet took place Thursday evening since most people departed Friday or Saturday (the team charter left Thursday night after the banquet... gotta love NCAA travel rules).  However, if it turns out that many people opt to leave on Thursday (not sure why you would other than you're driving straight from the airport to stand in line at Wal-Mart the next morning), they may wait for the bracket and schedule the banquet earlier in the week if MU wouldn't have an evening game on Mon or Tues.

Update 5/26 - According to the Anthony Travel website, the luau is being held Thanksgiving Day at the Hyatt.  They are no longer advertising it as a welcome banquet, but that's probably to be expected since welcoming guests the day after the tournament ends isn't exactly hospitable.

Benny's Recommendation:  If this banquet is held on the luau grounds of the Hyatt (Drums of the Pacific Luau), it's a must-see; the food isn't spectacular, but it's like the Tommy Bartlett show in Wisconsin Dells... it may be kitschy & touristy but it is at least mildly entertaining and something you have to do once, if never again.  Anyone can buy tickets for the luau, so it would not be restricted to package-travelers; however, Anthony does have a large block of tickets, so it might sell out to the public, although Anthony did sell the banquet a la carte to non-package travelers in 2012 (and I would assume they would again in this year).  However, if the banquet is held elsewhere, all bets are off unless you're buying the package.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:08:17 AM by Benny B »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »
Chapter 5 - HERE FISHY, FISHY, FISHY....

I'm flying blind here, so if someone else has input, please let me know.  I've never fished Maui, so I'm just going on what I've learned from the Interwebs here...  but Benny and the kids are definitely going to do some shorefishing while in Maui.  At this point, I have no idea if we're going to bring our own gear, use the stuff at our rental, or pick something up on the island.  But so far, the best info site I've found (that isn't blatantly trying to sell you something) is https://fishmaui.com/

There are no licensing requirements for marine fishing in Hawaii for residents or guests.  There are some regulated areas of the state where certain fishing activities are restricted and there are closed seasons for some species, but for the most part, it seems that you can cast from most anywhere for just about anything.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/fishing-regulations/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:32:48 AM by Benny B »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 04:38:01 PM »
There are some excellent business class deals out of Toronto to Hawaii, including to OGG, for about $1,000 (example: https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=YYZ;t=OGG;d=2017-10-19;r=2017-10-23;sc=b). The schedule doesn't go as far as Thanksgiving yet but will in a few weeks. Biz class straight out of ORD is still a reasonable ~$1600.

Lie-flat "pod" seats, 3-course meal, and unlimited premium cocktails for the 9 hour journey from ORD-OGG. Well worth it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
Lie-flat "pod" seats, 3-course meal, and unlimited premium cocktails for the 9 hour journey from ORD-OGG. Well worth it.

Does American fly pod seats? If they do, it is to HNL and you connect.

United flies garbage to Hawaii. Its 777s are domestic config, which includes old style domestic first class. You may see a 757 from the west coast. Those have been reconfiged with United's business first product.

All in all, the experience isn't nearly what it used to be and is no where close to Business or First to Europe or Asia. Spend the coin and go to YYZ!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »
Does American fly pod seats? If they do, it is to HNL and you connect.

United flies garbage to Hawaii. Its 777s are domestic config, which includes old style domestic first class. You may see a 757 from the west coast. Those have been reconfiged with United's business first product.

All in all, the experience isn't nearly what it used to be and is no where close to Business or First to Europe or Asia. Spend the coin and go to YYZ!

Spoken like a FlyerTalker!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »
Reserved for jokes and fishing tips.

What about smoked meats??????

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Mama's Fish House. The End.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
UA doesn't offer many lie flats to OGG or HNL from ORD because it doesn't make them any $. They know people will upgrade, and they keep pounding the EWR to west coast markets with Polaris. I went from ORD to OGG via LAX last year, had a dinosaur 757. I was on a Pres. Club trip, and had a first class ticket. I'll sound like a snob, but if you're flying UA, save the upgrade, it wasn't worth it, and LAX to OGG isn't a terrible leg. I think they still have a once a day 777 direct out of ORD. I had heard HAL was upgrading to lie flats for 2017 though.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »
.I went from ORD to OGG via LAX last year, had a dinosaur 757.

Had a reconfigured 757 about a year ago from LAX to ORD. Interior wall panel had insulation hanging out from the cracks and the interior walls were held together with duct tape. I wrote United about it and Commander Jeff (Smisek) and his minions were offended that I would question their commitment to safety (something about if duct tape held together what I could see, what does it say about what I can't see).

The 757-300s are the worst of all. Crappy seats and every one of them is a shop hog. They tend to have more maintenance delays than any three other airplanes combined. Either fix 'em or scrap 'em!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
Benny flies the transcon 767 from DFW.  Pods up front lie flat, though they're the ones angled at 20-30 degrees.  But because the transcon is only two-class, first class is a single upgrade.

Haven't checked the metal via LAX or PHX, though pretty sure it's either a 757 (yuck that) or some Airbus garbage.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »
Benny flies the transcon 767 from DFW.

Precisely why Dgies doesn't fly American. We see no heavy metal out of ORD.

Just the crapjets.

Incidentally, is Benny geographically challenged? Didn't know you could fly transcon from DFW?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
Precisely why Dgies doesn't fly American. We see no heavy metal out of ORD.

Just the crapjets.

Incidentally, is Benny geographically challenged? Didn't know you could fly transcon from DFW?

American flies two versions of the 767: both go 2-3-2 in the main cabin but the main difference is in business (first) class... the "transcon" configuration is 2-2-2 with the angled-flat seats; the "int'l" configuration is 1-2-1 with flat seats.  Even though both versions can be used for long-haul and international flights, AAL uses the transcon config for their flights to Hawaii from DFW.

That said 767 is horrid in the main cabin unless you get the first row (which is, strangely, in front of the bulkhead - i.e. unlimited legroom - but separated from Main Cabin Extra by the bathrooms) or second exit row.

United still has the q.d. to OGG on a 777 as Dish mentioned, but that's the only direct flight from Chicago.  AAL doesn't even fly the ORD-HNL route anymore... and yet they cancelled their partnership with HAL for anything between HI and the mainland.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
Mama's Fish House. The End.

I agree with this analysis

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
Ok, most covered just about everything; but consider taking a short flight to the big island and do a little skiing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/02/up-foot-snow-forecast-summits-hawaiis-big-island/94800450/

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
Thanks for all the info, Benny.  Appreciate it.  Great to know about the "booster" seats. 

Question - not sure if I will want to go to any games besides the MU games, but if MU doesn't make it to the championship and you want to catch it - are you able to buy a couple seats to get in while there, or is it pretty much you buy the booster seats, or seats to the whole tourney if you may want to catch another game or two while there?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:53:44 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
Don't be afraid to stray away from hotels and look for an Airbnb as well. You can find some real steals on Airbnb.

I don't know the situation in Hawaii, but I'm going to Rome over Christmas and there was a  lovely place a block away from the Vatican that me and my friend paid about $50 (each) for two nights.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info, Benny.  Appreciate it.  Great to know about the "booster" seats. 

Question - not sure if I will want to go to any games besides the MU games, but if MU doesn't make it to the championship and you want to catch it - are you able to buy a couple seats to get in while there, or is it pretty much you buy the booster seats, or seats to the whole tourney if you may want to catch another game or two while there?

Individual tickets to the games are available, even day of game.