[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UNC Investigation  (Read 40042 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: UNC Investigation
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »

This wanting a "Duke man" or a "Michigan man" or any other kind of "man" is a vanity of small thinkers IMO.

Fritz Crisler had the highest winning % of any Michigan coach (71-16-3, .805) and they named the basketball arena after him. He's not a "Michigan man" - he went to University of Chicago. Bo Shembechler was #1 in the modern era (194-48-5, .796) - Miami, O. man. Bump Elliot was from Purdue, Gary Moeller (shudder) was from Ohio State and Lloyd Carr went to Missouri for 3 years before finishing at Northern Michigan.

As for Duke, they've been to 16 Final Fours and won 5 national championships - none with a "Duke man" at the helm. Vic Bubas started at Illinois and transferred to (shudder) N.C. State. Bill Foster went to Elizabethtown College and Coach K was an Army man.

Jim Harbaugh will succeed at UM because he's a proven winner as a football coach. That he matriculated at the university may be a "feel good" story for the alumni but it's really beside the point. And if Duke puts one of their ex players/assistants ahead of guys like Brad Stevens (and lots of others) on their "wish list" because they are "Duke men" they will live to regret it.

Lenny

I saw first hand how silly the "Michigan Man" requirement has been for Ann Arbor. The fact that Harbaugh went to Michigan is immaterial to his success as a coach.

But the fact that he wore the Maize and Blue does make his return and eventual success all the better.

To make it a requirement is foolish. But if it is part of the narrative it is a great story.

Death on call

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »
And just like Stanford and the 49ers, the Maize and Bluers will be hating Harbaugh within 3 years.  That is his pattern.  He is an epic turd who even makes his orange tinted brother in law look good.

Now back to vacating a big portion of Dean Smith's wins...

connie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
How pervasive is this in Basketball?  I can't believe that this is specific to UNC.

What would happen if they looked at football?  I think it would be worse.
I don't think you have a full understanding of the allegations.  This isn't athletes getting the benefit of the doubt or even having grad students write their papers--this was the establishment of an entire major course of study that did not exist, yet provided grades.  Imagine getting a degree with a history major earning a qualifying grade point for attending classes that existed only in a catalog.  That is what we are talking about.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/bdavidridpath/2015/08/24/will-the-ncaa-punish-the-university-of-north-carolina-past-situational-ethics-say-otherwise/#597828b23bf2
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:53:36 PM by connie »
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »

This wanting a "Duke man" or a "Michigan man" or any other kind of "man" is a vanity of small thinkers IMO.

Fritz Crisler had the highest winning % of any Michigan coach (71-16-3, .805) and they named the basketball arena after him. He's not a "Michigan man" - he went to University of Chicago. Bo Shembechler was #1 in the modern era (194-48-5, .796) - Miami, O. man. Bump Elliot was from Purdue, Gary Moeller (shudder) was from Ohio State and Lloyd Carr went to Missouri for 3 years before finishing at Northern Michigan.

As for Duke, they've been to 16 Final Fours and won 5 national championships - none with a "Duke man" at the helm. Vic Bubas started at Illinois and transferred to (shudder) N.C. State. Bill Foster went to Elizabethtown College and Coach K was an Army man.

Jim Harbaugh will succeed at UM because he's a proven winner as a football coach. That he matriculated at the university may be a "feel good" story for the alumni but it's really beside the point. And if Duke puts one of their ex players/assistants ahead of guys like Brad Stevens (and lots of others) on their "wish list" because they are "Duke men" they will live to regret it.

One other thing to consider: There's no way Coach K won't be intimately involved in choosing his successor, whether he stays on at Duke in an administrative capacity or because of Duke's infinite reverence for the man they have already built a shrine for (seriously, take a visit to the Duke "basketball museum"). Given that, he's going to want one of his own. And why wouldn't it be Wojo? He was his guy for over 15 years.

I like Wojo and think he's capable of taking us to the land of Confetti and Shining Moments, but I won't be surprised in the least if Duke offers him a job in ~4 years and he takes it. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 02:57:20 PM »
Brad Stevens
Jay Wright
Billy Donovan

Those are where Duke should be looking unless Wojo goes on a few deep runs at MU.  The Duke job begins on third weekend in March. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
UNC fans have created a petition on change.org to investigate the refs of the championship game.

They want the results overturned. 

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/4/7/11383118/petition-urges-ncaa-to-reverse-results-of-2016-ncaa-championship

No, this is not from the Onion.

connie

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »
Looks like the NCAA has already acted against NC.  http://deadspin.com/man-southern-miss-was-flagrantly-breaking-ncaa-rules-1769899353

(with credit to Jerry Tarkanian)
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
UNC fans have created a petition on change.org to investigate the refs of the championship game.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/4/7/11383118/petition-urges-ncaa-to-reverse-results-of-2016-ncaa-championship

Game was 20 fouls on UNC and 16 on Nova.  And I would say 3 of those 20 was UNC purposefully fouling at the end.

Free throws were 17 attempts for Nova versus 13 for UNC, and Nova scored more field goals in the paint than UNC (thus you would except for them to get to the line more).

I do remember a couple of questionable fouls on UNC.  But nothing you don't normally see in games.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
Game was 20 fouls on UNC and 16 on Nova.  And I would say 3 of those 20 was UNC purposefully fouling at the end.

Free throws were 17 attempts for Nova versus 13 for UNC, and Nova scored more field goals in the paint than UNC (thus you would except for them to get to the line more).

I do remember a couple of questionable fouls on UNC.  But nothing you don't normally see in games.

Yep. The petition just makes them seem like a bunch of whiners.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:41 PM »
Yep. The petition just makes them seem like a bunch of whiners.

FIFY

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2016, 02:23:50 AM »

Yet where is the outrage for a university that endangers their degree from having manufactured diplomas for more than three decades?

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 07:22:18 AM »
If they had gone to actual classes, not imaginary ones, they would realize how dumb this makes them look.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
Yet where is the outrage for a university that endangers their degree from having manufactured diplomas for more than three decades?

There is no outrage because they believe in the Al Davis mantra,"Just win baby". They don't give a rats ass about the cheating.
BTW, the way the NCAA President was kissing Jordan's ass last Monday make me believe this will not be a damaging punishment.

Would not be surprised to see the NCAA say Bruce Springsteen cancelling his show in North Carolina scheduled for Sunday is punishment enough.:)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
All this uncertainty surrounds the future of UNC's program yet they have the #10 ranked recruiting class. Don't these recruits understand they may be signing with a program about to get whacked by the NCAA? Are they just verbally committing until the punishment comes down? Is there some sort of side agreement to let them out of the LOI if severe punishment? Are they counting on the NCAA releasing all UNC players once the punishment is handed down? Someone give me a clue here!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
All this uncertainty surrounds the future of UNC's program yet they have the #10 ranked recruiting class. Don't these recruits understand they may be signing with a program about to get whacked by the NCAA? Are they just verbally committing until the punishment comes down? Is there some sort of side agreement to let them out of the LOI if severe punishment? Are they counting on the NCAA releasing all UNC players once the punishment is handed down? Someone give me a clue here!

I thought that letting recruits out often accompaniment heavy sanctions by the NCAA.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »

My guess is that most top recruits pay attention to who plays in the Final Four and which schools get players to the NBA, but very few read the news.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
My guess is that most top recruits pay attention to who plays in the Final Four and which schools get players to the NBA, but very few read the news.

Or UNC is telling them their version of the story.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »

To the extent questions come up, I'm sure that is the case.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
To the extent questions come up, I'm sure that is the case.

But wouldn't competing schools make sure the recruits are aware of the UNC investigation and possible sanctions?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »
But wouldn't competing schools make sure the recruits are aware of the UNC investigation and possible sanctions?

Yes, without a single shred of doubt.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2016, 12:32:39 PM »

As of a few days ago, this was Ol' Roy's response to Katz...
When asked Sunday during an ESPN interview at the NCAA tournament's Final Four about the chances that North Carolina gets hit by NCAA sanctions, Williams said he would be speculating, but "I don't think we're going to get hit in any way at all. Hard to penalize somebody when you have no allegations against them.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15127691/roy-williams-expect-unc-hoops-get-hit-way-all-ncaa-sanctions

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

Very likely...and as I said, to the extent questions come up when the recruit is at UNC, Roy will tell them his version of the story.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
Very likely...and as I said, to the extent questions come up when the recruit is at UNC, Roy will tell them his version of the story.

So far his "version" is the Sgt. Shultz one: "I know nothing!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »
You guys that don't like how the NCAA does this, start complaining to the right source....starting with Marquette...an actual member of the NCAA. 

End of the day, it's a membership, with rules written by the membership.  Etc, etc.

feedback