[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168163 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that you are the smartest person on the internet. 

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. The Sox seem to think they are contenders every year. Or maybe they're just saying they are.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2016, 06:36:36 PM »
Brew Crew oughta dump Garza for some urinal deodorant, if dey can find a taker, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »
Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. The Sox seem to think they are contenders every year. Or maybe they're just saying they are.

My thought is they go into each season believing they are contenders, if everything breaks the right way.  They need to make the decision on if they can still be legit contenders while Sale and Quintana are under contract. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:39 PM »
Koufax had the best fastball in baseball at the time and unlike modern pitchers, he threw it up in the strike zone. But hitters had to sit on the fastball, anyway. His curve was probably the best of all time and was unhittable when it was on.

But because of the heavy workload - at times on 2 days rest - he often had to pitch without the curve. But he had the pitch location ability of a Greg Maddux to go along with the great fastball and curve.

Most unusual was that he was a two-pitch pitcher - something you rarely see in a starter.

Koufax was a treat to watch. He, along with Jim Palmer, had the easiest, most fluid deliveries I have ever seen.

Agree with virtually everything you say about Koufax. For a 6 year period (age 25-31) he was simply the best ever. One nit I would pick would be comparing his command to that of Greg Maddux. The last 5 years of his career it was close, the first 7 it wasn't. He was forced to pitch in the majors before he was ready (age 19) because of silly bonus baby rules in MLB and that's part of the reason, but the splits between his first 6 and last 6 years are staggering. For example, in 1958 he walked 105 batters in 158 innings - more than 6 per 9 innings pitched. But in 1963, he cut his base on balls in half (58) while doubling his innings (311). Remarkable.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:26 PM »
Agree with virtually everything you say about Koufax. For a 6 year period (age 25-31) he was simply the best ever. One nit I would pick would be comparing his command to that of Greg Maddux. The last 5 years of his career it was close, the first 7 it wasn't. He was forced to pitch in the majors before he was ready (age 19) because of silly bonus baby rules in MLB and that's part of the reason, but the splits between his first 6 and last 6 years are staggering. For example, in 1958 he walked 105 batters in 158 innings - more than 6 per 9 innings pitched. But in 1963, he cut his base on balls in half (58) while doubling his innings (311). Remarkable.

"Hitting against Koufax is like eating soup with a fork"
Deron Johnson, Cincinnati Reds

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2016, 10:47:31 PM »
"Hitting against Koufax is like eating soup with a fork"
Deron Johnson, Cincinnati Reds

Overpowering fastball, one of the best curveballs ever and a great competitor.

brandx

« Reply #581 on: July 21, 2016, 11:39:02 PM »
One nit I would pick would be comparing his command to that of Greg Maddux. The last 5 years of his career it was close, the first 7 it wasn't. He was forced to pitch in the majors before he was ready (age 19) because of silly bonus baby rules in MLB and that's part of the reason, but the splits between his first 6 and last 6 years are staggering. For example, in 1958 he walked 105 batters in 158 innings - more than 6 per 9 innings pitched. But in 1963, he cut his base on balls in half (58) while doubling his innings (311). Remarkable.

You are right of course. I should have been more specific.

BTW, I just finished an excellent book on the Dodgers called The Last Innocents. It is about the Dodgers both on the field and off as they dealt with changes in the 1960s. The book centers on Koufax, Maury Wills, Wes Parker, Lou Johnson, Tommy Davis, and Jeff Torborg.

I was especially surprised with the racism that players still endured. But if you like baseball history at all, it is one of the better books around.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #582 on: July 22, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »
My thought is they go into each season believing they are contenders, if everything breaks the right way.  They need to make the decision on if they can still be legit contenders while Sale and Quintana are under contract.

Hahn has made some decent moves this season. Fraizer looked like a strong acquisition but his average is WAY down. Hahn dumped Danks. He dumped Rollins and called up Anderson. He traded for Shields who had 3 horrid starts but has a 2.52 ERA over his last 6 outings. It just hasn't all come together for the team. Ventura should probably go after this season but I doubt they'll pull the trigger on that one.

The Sox have nothing in their farm system after Fulmer. Sending Quintana to Texas could change that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #583 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
You are right of course. I should have been more specific.

BTW, I just finished an excellent book on the Dodgers called The Last Innocents. It is about the Dodgers both on the field and off as they dealt with changes in the 1960s. The book centers on Koufax, Maury Wills, Wes Parker, Lou Johnson, Tommy Davis, and Jeff Torborg.

I was especially surprised with the racism that players still endured. But if you like baseball history at all, it is one of the better books around.

Thanks for the tip, Brand - book sounds like a great summer read.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #584 on: July 24, 2016, 06:33:50 AM »
Sale trying to get himself traded or is he really that much of a punk?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #585 on: July 24, 2016, 06:38:16 AM »
Sale trying to get himself traded or is he really that much of a punk?

He's been upset since they told him his 14yo BFF couldn't hang out in the locker room anymore

brandx

« Reply #586 on: July 24, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »
White Sox are a dumpster fire. Does it really matter?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #587 on: July 24, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »
White Sox are a dumpster fire. Does it really matter?

I'm not a Sox fan, just an observer from afar.

I would think how they handle Sale does matter, as he is the best pitcher they have had in a long time. If they keep him, how much do they pay him and for how long and how do they keep him happy while encouraging him to be a good teammate? If they trade him, how do they maximize the deal to get the most in return?

I'd contend those things matter a lot, if not to this season than to next and beyond.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorOregon

• Walk-On
« Reply #588 on: July 24, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Erin Andrews probably flaunting in the clubhouse with those skimpy outfits. 

#freemilo

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #589 on: July 24, 2016, 12:26:09 PM »
I'm not a Sox fan, just an observer from afar.

I would think how they handle Sale does matter, as he is the best pitcher they have had in a long time. If they keep him, how much do they pay him and for how long and how do they keep him happy while encouraging him to be a good teammate? If they trade him, how do they maximize the deal to get the most in return?
He's under contract through 2019.

brandx

« Reply #590 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »

#freemilo

Mods, could we do something about this guy espousing his politics with every post?

He is already banned, yet he continues to make a political statement in every post.

warriorOregon

• Walk-On
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
Mods, could we do something about this guy espousing his politics with every post?

He is already banned, yet he continues to make a political statement in every post.

There is nothing political in my posts, let alone every one.

You sound like someone complaining about Erin Andrews flaunting in a clubhouse as if she shouldn't be there and has no skills, merely eye candy.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:53:29 PM by warriorOregon »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
I was invited to a Sox function at Ronald McDonald House last month. Sale was there, along with Latos (I saw him take the phone call informing him he was released), Duke, Purke, Putnam were there. I'm not going to defend what Sale did yesterday, but I can tell you that Sale personally went up to every single family at the event (proactively, on his own) and sat down and talked to every family that was there for at least 5 minutes each. Since my son got sick two years ago, we've been around a lot of pro athletes, and I've seen no athlete more caring than Sale. There were no PR people with him, no cameras documenting it, the guy legit cared how everyone was doing. I've befriended people in the Sox front office, and they've said Sale is like that at every event he does (and he's the first guy to volunteer to go to these type of events).

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

I was especially surprised with the racism that players still endured.

Dave Maranis wrote that in the early 60's , Vince , after a month of being on the practice field under the summer sun, was barred from a Winston-Salem restaurant before an exhibition game because they thought he was black.  Vince decided on the spot that he would no longer allow the team to be subjected to any segregation policy.

I can remember hearing some fool screaming the "n" word at Angel's right fielder Don Baylor in Yankee Stadium  as late as 1980. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #594 on: July 24, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »

#freemilo

Translation?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #595 on: July 24, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »
Translation?

I'm pissed that I got banned so I'm gonna make everyone else here miserable.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #596 on: July 24, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
I'm pissed that I got banned so I'm gonna make everyone else here miserable.

But too a much lesser extent than he made us miserable before he got banned. one or two posts a day, a reasonable man can handle. 10-15: not so much. what a sad life he must have. How traumatic
the ban must have been to him.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #597 on: July 25, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »
Sounds like the cubs are on the precipice of getting chapman for a package centered around Torres.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #598 on: July 25, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
Sounds like the cubs are on the precipice of getting chapman for a package centered around Torres.

As a Cub fan, I'd rather have Miller because I have a conscience.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #599 on: July 25, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »

Yea, they have quite the log jam in the infield for the forseable future. There's also no guarantee a prospect is gonna pan out. For every Bryant and Russell, there's a Felix Pie and Brian Anderson.