[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 41542 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
What is a FireStick?

I'm assuming the PS3/4 has to be running in order to watch live TV?  If so, is the PS3/4 really made to be running that much?  Are you going to have to buy a new PS3/4 every year when they burn out due to overuse?

been using my PS3 to stream hours upon hours of Netflix and Prime Instant Video. Works just fine.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
I started the PS-Vue 7 day trial yesterday ..

While it is a cheaper solution, there are some downsides:

* Currently using Amazon Fire Stick which is extremely slow.  It works, but every click of the remote has a 1-10 second delay, which is brutal.   I have the Amazon Fire "box" arriving tomorrow, which is reportedly much faster.  Tivo arriving too.

This most likely is a problem with the fire stick. Since its not much more then a flash drive with programs on it, the computing power is very slow. On the ps4 I have not encountered any delays like this. This should be fixed with the new fire box. Though I would have suggested buying a used ps3 as it has alot more power behind it, while being cheaper.

* The PS-vue interface is not great.  So many clicks to get anywhere you want.  "My Shows" is basically your DVR'd shows, plus any on-demand things you've favorited.  True, the Amazon remote does not have many buttons, so I get it.  Most of the pain is likely due to the remote-click lag.

This is probably because the menu is built around the ps4 controller which has around 18 buttons. With the controller I have found operating vue much smoother then traditional cable providers. Though the guide took getting used to.  Another reason you should have grabbed a ps3  ;D

* Start up time is long.  Before, I could flip on the toob and be watching a particular show in < 30 seconds.  Now it's more like 90+.

* On-demand stuff doesn't let you fast forward, no surprise but still horrible.

* I watched a DVR'd show and while it let me skip 10 seconds in the future (or more if you kept clicking the skip pad) it would NOT let me fast forward.  The show was actively recording (and I was at the beginning), so maybe that was why.  This is not good.

Start up time on the ps4 is around 5 seconds. I'm guessing the fire stick doesn't have much ram, therefore cannot store Vue in its memory for instant load such as the ps4. Startup time should be improved with the box (I've never used it however)

On demand fast forwarding seems to be selective. Some stations I can fast forward while others I cannot, while even others seem to have a single 10 second commercial.

I have heard rewinding on the Stick can only be done for 10 seconds. Fast forwarding may be the same way. This is due to their being very limited storage on the sticks. Though I can't see why this would limit fast forwarding unless the stick needs to buffer each time you hit it. Maybe you are hitting the incorrect button? Their is a skip 10 second button on the playstation.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 02:01:17 PM »
The way I read the PS Vue website I thought one had to have a PS3 or PS4 before you can use any other device on aux. sets.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »
The way I read the PS Vue website I thought one had to have a PS3 or PS4 before you can use any other device on aux. sets.

Nope. Just need one of the devices that runs the Vue.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »
I'd considered a used PS3, but I'd read commentary that its PS-Vue performance wasn't great on it either.  Naturally, the PS3 controller would have been better, although it's a little goofy to have a game controller as your TV remote.  (Low wife acceptance factor)

I'll report back on the Firebox.

Had this occurred prior to last Christmas, I'd have opted to buy a PS4 instead of the Xbox One for the kids!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

Had this occurred prior to last Christmas, I'd have opted to buy a PS4 instead of the Xbox One for the kids!

Haha, but think of the wars between tv and video games.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »
Nope. Just need one of the devices that runs the Vue.

The way I interpreted their crap website led me to think a PS3 or 4 had to be the primary device

I'd considered a used PS3, but I'd read commentary that its PS-Vue performance wasn't great on it either.  Naturally, the PS3 controller would have been better, although it's a little goofy to have a game controller as your TV remote.  (Low wife acceptance factor)

good point, my wife won't even use the (vastly superior) Genie remote with our Genie, won't give up her slow, clunky remote so we each have our own in the living room which is actually a plus since I never have to look for the Genie remote. I'm sure a controller would piss her off even if we could save $50/month on subscriber fees

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »
The way I interpreted their crap website led me to think a PS3 or 4 had to be the primary device

good point, my wife won't even use the (vastly superior) Genie remote with our Genie, won't give up her slow, clunky remote so we each have our own in the living room which is actually a plus since I never have to look for the Genie remote. I'm sure a controller would piss her off even if we could save $50/month on subscriber fees

Maybe  she could be persuaded by the superiority of Bluetooth over IR. No more missed clicks

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Well crap.  Got the Amazon Fire box today .. oddly won't work on my TV.   Box isn't defective (tried it on another tv and it worked) .. chatted with support .. no dice, something goofy with the HDMI protocol and my LG tv. 

Not sure what to do next, frankly. 

I know you suggested getting a PS3 .. do you have one?  Performance?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
Well crap.  Got the Amazon Fire box today .. oddly won't work on my TV.   Box isn't defective (tried it on another tv and it worked) .. chatted with support .. no dice, something goofy with the HDMI protocol and my LG tv. 

May as well just get a PS4 than a PS3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
May as well just get a PS4 than a PS3

No thanks .. took the Xbox One route 5 months ago .. do not need to drop another $350 on a PS4 when I .. don't want to use it as a gaming console.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »
Whoa .. that's a pretty solid package.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »

I just moved out of my apartment since college ended. I have a ps3 somewhere in a box. Once I get everything setup I'll test it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:14 AM »

No longer the case....they were getting their arse kicked so bad they have gone to an open platform BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).  Still don't think it will save them.  They are taking on water massively right now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
No longer the case....they were getting their arse kicked so bad they have gone to an open platform BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).  Still don't think it will save them.  They are taking on water massively right now.

SONY is a massive company it might be worth some months in red for the Vue to get people into their ecosystem.

Look how long it has taken Amazon to get any real margins. This is about the long game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »
SONY is a massive company it might be worth some months in red for the Vue to get people into their ecosystem.

Look how long it has taken Amazon to get any real margins. This is about the long game.

They are massive, but also haven't been run very well for a number of years.  The studios, the hacking, etc.   Their problem isn't the concept, it is the execution.  They did terrible programming deals...the worst in the industry bar none.  They can't get out from underneath them right now.  They are in a bit of a hail mary mode right now. I hope it works, I have a few friends and former colleagues that are over there....lots of resumes floating around.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »

Weird - that shouldn't happen.  Does it have CEC or SimpleLink?  If so, and it's possible, disable it.

And I know it sounds stupid, and shouldn't make a difference, but try reversing the HDMI cable.  A couple internet reports that it has helped. 

And finally, if Amazon didn't already walk you through this...Press the Up and Rewind buttons on your Amazon Fire TV remote at the same time for 5 seconds. The indicator light on your device then blinks yellow as the system cycles through available output resolutions, pausing at each resolution for 10 seconds. If you see the correct resolution, select Use Current Resolution.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
Weird - that shouldn't happen.  Does it have CEC or SimpleLink?  If so, and it's possible, disable it.

And I know it sounds stupid, and shouldn't make a difference, but try reversing the HDMI cable.  A couple internet reports that it has helped. 

It does have Simplelink .. I did briefly flip it, but I'll give that another look.  Will also try reversing the cables ..never gave that a shot.

As for the Up/Rewind thing .. yep, tried that already.  Even went through the hassle of plugging it in to the working TV, changing the resolution to 720/50, 720/60, 1080/50 then unplugging it and trying it again and again.  No dice.

I did just buy a 3-way HDMI splitter to see if that'll jog it loose.

If none of that works, I'll need to hope one of my kids breaks the TV so I can get a new one.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:05 PM »
So .. I cut the cord yesterday.   Can't wait to drop off the DVR box after work.

Some items from my saga-

My TWC bill was $140, and they jacked it to $180, the final straw.

I called to terminate all TV services, and they quoted me a $90 rate for 30/5 internet, or $70 for 20/5. Of course, the rates they give new customers are roughly half that.

So I called Earthlink, (who uses TWC's coax.) Got their 15/1 service for $30 (for 6 months, then $42).

As I was on the phone, they rebooted my cable modem and presto, I was now an Earthlink customer .. zero down time.

So .. I was paying $180 .. PSVue will be $30, Earthlink internet $30 = $60 (going up to $72 after 6 months.)  I also bought a $400 Tivo (lifetime) .. so that should break even in 4 months.

I'd imagine that in 6 months, I could call TWC and tell them I'm a new customer and they'd give me some great promo rates.  Rinse, repeat.

Suck it, TWC.*

* (Yes, I realize some of my Earthlink dough goes to TWC.   :-\ )

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
Good news for those that were holding back due to not having a ps4 or Mac devices.

Vue is now available on ruko devices and Android phones and tablets

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »
The Roku channel lit up yesterday.

Unfortunately, it's very much a beta version.   Terrible user interface .. no guide .. DVR controls are odd or missing.  No "start over" function.   Very rushed -- which means Sony may be shooting themselves in the foot.  Anyone trying the 7 day trial .. may be turned off.

The Android version .. won't be out until next week.  We'll see how that one is ...

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
I have the Roku 3 running both Sling TV and trial subscription to Playstation Vue.  I much prefer finding a show to watch on the Sling TV over the Playstation Vue.   I've tried watching a show on Vue only to get frustrated by the Vue interface.  I switched to Sling TV to watch my shows.  Sling TV just seems so much easier to locate the programs I want to watch.

I hope Playstation Vue gets it together soon because I like the ability to watch live TV on more than one device at a time but I don't know if I'll still be a subscriber by then.  I would rather pay for 2 Sling TV subscriptions than deal with the clunker Playstation Vue is currently offering on the Roku.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
I hope Playstation Vue gets it together soon because I like the ability to watch live TV on more than one device at a time but I don't know if I'll still be a subscriber by then.  I would rather pay for 2 Sling TV subscriptions than deal with the clunker Playstation Vue is currently offering on the Roku.

No doubt, DV.  The PS-Vue Roku interface is version 1.0 crap.  Clearly rushed to market without many features.   PS-Vue's strong suit is the DVR functionality, and it barely functions in their Roku interface. 

On the Amazon Fire and Fire Stick interface, it's pretty good.  I would assume they will improve their Roku app to match.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 07:10:37 AM »
Just cut the cord today.   I've had directv and Sunday ticket for awhile.   I'm going to stream from the internet (mostly through reddit) and cast to my big screen using googlecast for sporting events and political news from now on.   I'm late to the game but seems like cord cutting is becoming a movement among younger generations who feel like they are getting screwed with their monthly fees.   I was paying around $130 per month during football season.   Wonder what the implications will be when more and more younger generations cut the cord (or never have it).    Maybe Chicos' ghost can answer.   Hopefully lower satellite tv costs.

Also if anyone has recommendations for cord cutters on sites or devices...thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:12:08 AM by Blackhat »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
#unleashwaldo,  Are you still happy with Vue 6 months in?  I'm between that and Sling. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.