[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 41198 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
Some areas do have fox, cbs, etc. I think Chicago is one of those areas.

O & O markets only.

So some markets will have all, some will have some, some will have none.  Affiliate markets won't have. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
O & O markets only.

So some markets will have all, some will have some, some will have none.  Affiliate markets won't have.

Can you elaborate what that means? My dad is seriously considering getting it, we're in the Chiczgo market so would we get the local channels?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
Can you elaborate what that means? My dad is seriously considering getting it, we're in the Chiczgo market so would we get the local channels?

CBS owns and operates (O & O) their stations in certain markets.  Same is true for Fox, NBC, ABC.  The FCC limits how many can be owned and operated, however. 

As a result there are many markets that the channel is owned by someone else like Sinclair, Hearst, etc, etc.  Still CBS content, but owned by a different station group.

For Chicago, I think all 4 bigs are O & O, so he should be ok.  The bigger question is whether Vue survives as they are struggling big time right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »

All you need to do is go here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

It will tell you what channels are available for you

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »
Checked for you.

Chicago area comes with Fox, Abc, cbs, nbc. However your lowest price is $40 compared to the $30.

No doubt the deals with the regional channels bump the price.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Checked for you.

Chicago area comes with Fox, Abc, cbs, nbc. However your lowest price is $40 compared to the $30.

No doubt the deals with the regional channels bump the price.

Still wayyy cheaper than the current DirecTV bill.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »

Yup Charter called me earlier today asking if I wanted their amazing low price triple play package, cause everyone needs a home phone she said. Asked her how much it would be to have ESPN heard the number and said nooooooooooooooooooooooooope, got VUE, bye.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:37 PM »

Apples to oranges.  You are getting different programming.  If price is all you care about, then many options are not for you.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 12:01:03 AM »
Apples to oranges.  You are getting different programming.  If price is all you care about, then many options are not for you.

Actually what we are all so excited for VUE for is that we can get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, ESPN online, FOX sports 1, FOX sports 2, Regional Fox sports, CSN, CSN Plus, NBCSN, an unlimited DVR, unlimited "cable box's", and all the actual decent cable stations like tbs, amc, Nickelodeon, science, comedy central, tnt. All for 35 dollars.

I don't have to spend 65 (I don't know the actual prices*) on directTV to get ESPN because it's included with bullcrap channels like TLC or MTV that I will never watch. Then have to pay fee's for a dvr and cable box "rental" that uses outdated and slow equipment. All while being locked into a 2 year contract.

I pay 35 dollars a month for all the channels I want (Minus regionals like fox, but antenna gets me them for free) an unlimited dvr that I currently have 1000+ hours of shows that I can and WANT to watch.

I know you have a vested interest in DirectTV, but surely you can see that the outdated system of old tv providers is going down. Don't go down with it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »
Granted I might get 400+ channels with direct tv. But I'm only ever going to watch 20 of them. I don't care about the rest. I don't want to pay for teen mom 2 or dance moms, or whatever other crap they put on those channels like flip this house.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 12:10:36 AM »
Understand, and that's my point.  You'll actually pay more per channel with Vue, and if variety doesn't matter, then you are better off doing that.  of course you can also get "skinny" bundles from other carriers like Directv, Comcast, etc...everyone has them to one extent of another.

My point is, compare apples to apples.  Things like 4K, HD, concurrency limits, ability to buy PPV fights, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc, etc.   They are just totally different services and if price is your soul driver and a few channels, then the premium bigger service just isn't for you.  Which is fine, many people make that decision.  No different than a Hyundai will get you to work just like a Lexus or my used pick up truck.  Different strokes for different folks.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »
Understand, and that's my point.  You'll actually pay more per channel with Vue, and if variety doesn't matter, then you are better off doing that.  of course you can also get "skinny" bundles from other carriers like Directv, Comcast, etc...everyone has them to one extent of another.

My point is, compare apples to apples.  Things like 4K, HD, concurrency limits, ability to buy PPV fights, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc, etc.   They are just totally different services and if price is your soul driver and a few channels, then the premium bigger service just isn't for you.  Which is fine, many people make that decision.  No different than a Hyundai will get you to work just like a Lexus or my used pick up truck.  Different strokes for different folks.

Yea, once we dropped HBO and sunday ticket the DirecTV packages became unnecessary. I loved both FWIW, but we didn't watch those things enough for it to be worth it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:48 AM »
Aye, but it's a bit different if I want the Lexus I also need to buy the 2 ford explorers that are sitting in the lot. Also I get 4k bitrates from my VUE, I wasn't coming near that on directTV. Did they upgrade finally?

Also I, along with 99% of other people who played CS for actual money, hate the living crap out of Direct Tv for that fiasco they pulled back in 2005. Set the whole esports thing back by 6 years.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:37 AM »
Yea, once we dropped HBO and sunday ticket the DirecTV packages became unnecessary. I loved both FWIW, but we didn't watch those things enough for it to be worth it.

You can also get HBO straight up online now as well. They offer their own service.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
You can also get HBO straight up online now as well. They offer their own service.

Yup, I'm quite aware.  I ran the HBO business  (and sports, etc) for DIRECTV for many years.  I have turned down two offers to work at HBO, including when they were going to launch HBO Now.  I know the product intimately, including their main leads at MLB BAM, who created it because HBO's infrastructure was so horrible.

They have 800,000 subs right now, vastly under performing the market expectations.  It will be interesting to see how they ultimately do.  They're trying to compete with Netflix on price, but also not undercut their deals with the MVPDs at the same time.  It's putting a lot of pressure on them as well as the MVPDs in that space.  HBO needs a few winners soon, Vinyl has been a disappointment, True Detective 2 was a disaster.  GOT is great, but only has a few years left.  One thing they didn't think about with HBO Now is the the churn dynamic they are going through.  People are signing up mid to late in a series, going for one month and binging everything and then cancelling.  Not a good way to run a business and they're trying to fix that now.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:37:14 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »
Question I had about directTV:

With the cable companies expanding their infrastructure in the last 15 years has direct TV lost a lot of business to them through competition? IE: When I was 9 we had dial up and Direct Tv, simply because no cable company was near for high speed internet/tv. We got time warner when I was 13. We dropped direct Tv. Has that been happening more now?

Also, did you all ever fix the issue of "If it rains bye bye tv"?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:39:16 AM by #UnleashWally »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 12:40:43 AM »

With the cable companies expanding their infrastructure in the last 15 years has direct TV lost a lot of business to them through competition? IE: When I was 9 we had dial up and Direct Tv, simply because no cable company was near for high speed internet/tv. We got time warner when I was 13. We dropped direct Tv. Has that been happening more now?

Also, did you all ever stop the issue of "If it rains bye bye tv"?

Nope, DIRECTV is one of the few that kept on growing and adding subscribers.  I read their earnings report just the other day they added another 320K net subs.  It was a blast to be part of that engine for so long and kicking cable's ass for so long. 

The rain fade thing was an issue early on, but with tighter controls in installation, etc, became much less of an issue.  The FCC commissioned some studies and showed that DISH and DTV had far fewer outages than cable did which resulted in cable pulling back a lot of those nonsense claims.  Don't get me wrong, if your dish wasn't set correctly and a bad storm came in, you could be down for a little while.  But a properly peaked dish you should have very little trouble.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 01:02:10 AM »

This graphic does a decent job...you can see how cable lost subs each and every year, while satellite went up each and every year. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
I found the below helpful .. not sure why they don't just list this on the PS Vue website:

$30 Access Slim (55+ channels) – ABC, FOX, NBC, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Destination America, Discovery, Discovery Family, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, DIY, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, Esquire, Food, FOX Business, FOX News, Free Form, FS1, FS2, FX, FXX, HGTV, HLN, ID, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, National Geographic, NBCSN, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, OWN, Oxygen, Pop, Science, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TLC, TNT, Travel, Tru TV, TV Land, USA, VH1, WE.

$35 Core Slim (70+ channels) – Includes all of Access PLUS: Be In Sports, Big Ten Network, Big Ten Network Alternate, CSN channels, ESPNEWS, ESPN U, Golf Channel, IFC, Sundance, Comcast Network and Turner Classic Movies.

$45 Elite (100+ channels) – Includes all of Access, Core PLUS: BET Gospel, BET Jams, BET Soul, Boomerang, Centric, Chiller, Cloo, CMT Music, CNBC World, Cooking Channel, Discovery Life Channel, Epix Hits, FOX College Sports Atlantic, FOX College Sports Central, FOX College Sports Pacific, FXM, LOGO, MTV Hits, Machinima, MTV Jams, mtvU, Nat Geo WILD, PALLADIA, Sprout, TeenNick, Universal, Velocity, VH1 Classic and others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
I found the below helpful .. not sure why they don't just list this on the PS Vue website:

$30 Access Slim (55+ channels) – ABC, FOX, NBC, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Destination America, Discovery, Discovery Family, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, DIY, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, Esquire, Food, FOX Business, FOX News, Free Form, FS1, FS2, FX, FXX, HGTV, HLN, ID, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, National Geographic, NBCSN, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, OWN, Oxygen, Pop, Science, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TLC, TNT, Travel, Tru TV, TV Land, USA, VH1, WE.

$35 Core Slim (70+ channels) – Includes all of Access PLUS: Be In Sports, Big Ten Network, Big Ten Network Alternate, CSN channels, ESPNEWS, ESPN U, Golf Channel, IFC, Sundance, Comcast Network and Turner Classic Movies.

$45 Elite (100+ channels) – Includes all of Access, Core PLUS: BET Gospel, BET Jams, BET Soul, Boomerang, Centric, Chiller, Cloo, CMT Music, CNBC World, Cooking Channel, Discovery Life Channel, Epix Hits, FOX College Sports Atlantic, FOX College Sports Central, FOX College Sports Pacific, FXM, LOGO, MTV Hits, Machinima, MTV Jams, mtvU, Nat Geo WILD, PALLADIA, Sprout, TeenNick, Universal, Velocity, VH1 Classic and others.

No wonder why they only have a few thousand subs....a number of those channels aren't even properly named anymore.  Sony really needs to get their act together.  Palladia, for example, has been rebranded to MTV Live (which is a misnomer, but that's Viacom's issue).  Be IN is actually BeIN, Big Ten Alternate isn't a channel...it's an overflow and cannot be counted as a channel, etc.

Going to be very interesting to see if they survive.  They cut that absolute worst deals in the industry...just God awful how badly they overpaid for rights.  They have very few subscribers.  Many are surprised it hasn't already folded, but maybe they can make a run at it. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2016, 01:12:51 PM »

$30 Access Slim (55+ channels) – ABC, FOX, NBC,

These channels are just on demand with very limited amounts of shows. Not the full channels in most areas.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
No wonder why they only have a few thousand subs....a number of those channels aren't even properly named anymore. 

Sorry .. that was taken from some blog .. so if they are named poorly, it's just some dude typing in what he thought the name was..

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »
These channels are just on demand with very limited amounts of shows. Not the full channels in most areas.

That's good to know .. I figured I'd need a Tivo to DVR the locals, yes?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »

As a neutral party that currently has DirecTV (though seriously considering Vue) I can say that for the most part, the rain issue is no longer a factor. The average rain storm or clouds have zero impact on my television. Now if you get a massive storm, something where you expect Noah to roll down your street, then you will lose signal. I'd say in the past 2-1/2 years or so since getting DirecTV I've maybe had weather issues 3-4 times. It sucks, but it's not any more frequent than other issues that I had with my old TWC subscription (for whatever various reasons).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
I started the PS-Vue 7 day trial yesterday ..

While it is a cheaper solution, there are some downsides:

* Currently using Amazon Fire Stick which is extremely slow.  It works, but every click of the remote has a 1-10 second delay, which is brutal.   I have the Amazon Fire "box" arriving tomorrow, which is reportedly much faster.  Tivo arriving too.

* The PS-vue interface is not great.  So many clicks to get anywhere you want.  "My Shows" is basically your DVR'd shows, plus any on-demand things you've favorited.  True, the Amazon remote does not have many buttons, so I get it.  Most of the pain is likely due to the remote-click lag.

* Start up time is long.  Before, I could flip on the toob and be watching a particular show in < 30 seconds.  Now it's more like 90+.

* On-demand stuff doesn't let you fast forward, no surprise but still horrible.

* I watched a DVR'd show and while it let me skip 10 seconds in the future (or more if you kept clicking the skip pad) it would NOT let me fast forward.  The show was actively recording (and I was at the beginning), so maybe that was why.  This is not good.

* I do very much like the concept of channel and show favorites, being DVR'd without a care as to how much space you are using.  Just wish it wasn't 10 remote clicks and 45+ seconds to get something favorited.  Wish they had a web page I could get to and do that in bulk.  I assume that's just a steep start-up curve.

* There's a "signal strength" icon and I almost always get 5 bars, which I assume should mean a perfect stream.  Regardless, it's obvious it's dropping frames here and there, at least on MSBNC.

* Do like that PS-Vue's credentials will let you use other channel apps.  Example, I'm guessing my wife will use the HGTV app more than PS-Vue, as the interface is better and faster.

* End math .. Dropping $1100/yr for cable+dvr for $360/yr.  Investing $400 in a Tivo lifetime and $100 in Amazon box.  No doubt, fewer channels, worse interface, lower PQ.  Will break even in under a year.

* Will call TWC ..  "Oh, remember how you just jacked my bill $500/yr and hoped I wouldn't notice?  I noticed, and now you lost that plus another $1,100 a year."

feedback