[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 41199 times)

brandx

Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
I threw the gauntlet down with Comcast, and they quoted me within $10/month of what it would have been with my internet + PS Vue, with no contract so I am sticking with them.   Cable companies are getting smart that they just hike up the cost of internet only plans (in Boston $85 a month for just internet, even with my own modem), or making them tiered in some BS way like 5 MbPS ($55/month), 10 MbPS ($65), then 100 MbPS ($85).

Screwing the customer is never smart. In reality, they are only screwing themselves, long term.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Screwing the customer is never smart. In reality, they are only screwing themselves, long term.

+1, bummer Google Fiber went belly up

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
From what I read, it seems like to have a stable connection, with at least two TV's you should have a minimum of 25MbPS download speed. 

IT guy here ..

I have a 15/1 connection .. plenty for two HD streams.  I've also had two kids on their phones on Youtube, plus a HD stream on the TV .. no problem.

Consumers are WAY oversold on bandwidth.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
IT guy here ..

I have a 15/1 connection .. plenty for two HD streams.  I've also had two kids on their phones on Youtube, plus a HD stream on the TV .. no problem.

Agreed.  I'm on a 25 Mbps connection, and that's plenty for probably 4 -5 HD streams.  The general consensus is about 5Mbps / HD stream.  4k is another story (probably 25 by itself), but I don't stream any 4k yet.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2017, 11:52:47 PM »
I will add, I'm curious to see how Vue holds up during the tourney.  I've had minimal hiccups with it this season, but I'm expecting the NCAAs to put extra stress on the system...especially since they've been advertising themselves as a way to watch all the games.  Hopefully they planned well for processing and bandwidth!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
IT guy here ..

Good to know, thanks for the info.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »
Some news:

CBS does stream the game in real time, no blackouts. There was a minor hiccup in which the 1st 15 minutes of game 1 of the ncaa tournament was blacked out, but it was fixed. So this doesnt tell me 100% that NFL will not be blacked out, but I doubt it. 

In other news, Vue now has MLB network just in time.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
YouTube TV just launched.  One item of interest is the addition of CBS Sports Network over PS Vue.  We always have a couple games on there it seems.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
If YouTube TV can add some more channels, it'll be a force.    Missing so many right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
YouTube TV has an amazing UI and a DVR service that topples even Vue's. It's addition of CSN can be big for cub fans if it can hold the rights nationally when it launches.

YouTube can be the best of the bunch very easily if it can manage to get hold of channels Vue has.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
If YouTube TV can add some more channels, it'll be a force.    Missing so many right now.

Agreed it's missing a lot of "common" channels.  But if your primary concern is Marquette Basketball (or Big East in general), then it's the best available!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »
YouTube TV has an amazing UI and a DVR service that topples even Vue's. It's addition of CSN can be big for cub fans if it can hold the rights nationally when it launches.

YouTube can be the best of the bunch very easily if it can manage to get hold of channels Vue has.

Channels for those interested

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
This seems to be good news about PSVue's future .. (price increase, notwithstanding.)

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/sony-playstation-vue-signs-nctc-distribution-deal

djvern414

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
YouTube tv in Milwaukee doesn't appear to be available yet. Just tried, but I'm intrigued. Used the Vue last season and worked well except the CBS sports games.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
Curious .. any of you with PS-Vue .. having issues watching the NCAA games?

My streams are freezing every few minutes.  Super annoying and unusual for PS-Vue, which for me has been pretty solid up until this week.

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
Curious .. any of you with PS-Vue .. having issues watching the NCAA games?

My streams are freezing every few minutes.  Super annoying and unusual for PS-Vue, which for me has been pretty solid up until this week.

Sorry Hilltopper, my PSVUE has been working great for the tournament games.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »

Sorry Hilltopper, my PSVUE has been working great for the tournament games.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
Ever since Youtube added a Playback Speed option, I almost never watch any video at regular 1x speed, instead, flooding my eyeballs at 1.5x.

No such option exists on Vue's native player.

But .. I just found out that there's a Chrome extension called Video Speed Controller .. and it WORKS on PS Vue when watching via a browser. Just fire up your browser, start watching a show (not live) and hit D to speed the playback up. (S slows it down.)

Now you can binge watch stuff even faster.

Link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-speed-controller/nffaoalbilbmmfgbnbgppjihopabppdk

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
I'm getting tired of my $150/mo DirecTV bill, so I am finally going to streaming. I've held off because of some reported delays and the lack of local network affiliates in my area.

YouTubeTV looks awesome...but isn't yet available in my area. I like the channel lineup on DirecTV Now, but I've heard it's still buggy and doesn't yet have a DVR. So I'm thinking PS Vue. I don't have a streaming device yet, and it looks like a PS4 would be the best option...right?

Also, any thoughts on difference in performance between the PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro? I do NOT play video games, so I just want the best streaming performance and interface. Also, is there any streaming difference between a 500GB and 1TB model?

Sorry for the elementary questions...but most of what I have found so far assumes I'd want the PS for games too...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
I'm getting tired of my $150/mo DirecTV bill, so I am finally going to streaming. I've held off because of some reported delays and the lack of local network affiliates in my area.

YouTubeTV looks awesome...but isn't yet available in my area. I like the channel lineup on DirecTV Now, but I've heard it's still buggy and doesn't yet have a DVR. So I'm thinking PS Vue. I don't have a streaming device yet, and it looks like a PS4 would be the best option...right?

Also, any thoughts on difference in performance between the PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro? I do NOT play video games, so I just want the best streaming performance and interface. Also, is there any streaming difference between a 500GB and 1TB model?

Sorry for the elementary questions...but most of what I have found so far assumes I'd want the PS for games too...

Haven't used psvue in a while due to my living situation. But:

No difference in performance for the ps4s for ps Vue streaming. So slim is probably your best bet since it's low profile.

500gb to 1tb won't make a difference. Either way it'll save the last 30(?) minutes of your live broadcast (and any dvr stuff you save)

Also I used the ruko to stream ps Vue at another house for a bit, while it was a bit of a pain because the ps version is much more slick (and navigating with controller is amazing) it was doable. Though not being able to rewind was bad.

You can look into the roku box. It will have a performance more like the ps4.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »
Agree .. unless you want to really own a PS4 and start playing video games, save your money.

A $50 Roku or Amazon Fire will stream fine for PS-Vue.  I suppose the "Stick" versions of these are a little less powerful than their $80 "box" brothers, so go for that.

It's funny .. I watch most content on my laptop now .. and that's after I bought a brand new TV a month ago.  I can't help the desire to want to speed up all videos now. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »

DirectTV Now has DVR in beta for some users and is supposedly rolling it out to everyone soon. I've been biding my time for a while now waiting for the right option after RCN raised my bill by 50% over 8 months. It'll likely be DTV Now once DVR comes out.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I currently have both PS Vue and DTV Now on Fire TV 4k (2 tv's). I have had PSVue for over a year now and really like it. The DVR works well and the "Live" tv search works well too. The guide is pretty bad but you don't use it often. I have DTV Now as AT&T unlimited customers get a $25 credit each month (or did) so I signed up right away as I thought they more lower it. It is a little less reliable in that the streams buffer a touch more than PSVue but it's not too bad. PSVue is also about 1 min. delayed from broadcast tv. So if you're watching sports stay off twitter. This also helps them have better stream quality as it buffers better. DTV Now is usually only about 15 seconds behind live OTA.

Once DTV Now DVR comes out to the masses I'll switch exclusively to it. I guess the DVR rebuild has also included a full overhaul of how they deliver streams and their quality too. It's essentially a full rebuild.

For my internet I have AT&T Fiber 100. It more than powers my house. I also use a VPN once in a while so I can use Terrarium TV without big brother watching.
But I like to throw handfuls...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »
I currently have both PS Vue and DTV Now on Fire TV 4k (2 tv's). I have had PSVue for over a year now and really like it. The DVR works well and the "Live" tv search works well too. The guide is pretty bad but you don't use it often. I have DTV Now as AT&T unlimited customers get a $25 credit each month (or did) so I signed up right away as I thought they more lower it. It is a little less reliable in that the streams buffer a touch more than PSVue but it's not too bad. PSVue is also about 1 min. delayed from broadcast tv. So if you're watching sports stay off twitter. This also helps them have better stream quality as it buffers better. DTV Now is usually only about 15 seconds behind live OTA.

Once DTV Now DVR comes out to the masses I'll switch exclusively to it. I guess the DVR rebuild has also included a full overhaul of how they deliver streams and their quality too. It's essentially a full rebuild.

For my internet I have AT&T Fiber 100. It more than powers my house. I also use a VPN once in a while so I can use Terrarium TV without big brother watching.

I've never heard of someone using 2 at a time before. You know that you can have 1 account and stream to multiple devices at a time right?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
I've never heard of someone using 2 at a time before. You know that you can have 1 account and stream to multiple devices at a time right?

I do.

Long term will drop vue but not before DTN has a DVR - wife and I hectic schedules and want our entertainment on our schedules. For why I have signed up for DTN when I did is I didn't want AT&T to drop the $25 mo credit offer - which they eventually did. Now you only get a $15 credit.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-reduces-discount-att-unlimited-customers/

I only have the lowest DTN account so it costs me $10 / mo.
But I like to throw handfuls...