[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 41566 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Playstation Vue
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »
Just cut my cable completely. Playstation just released nationwide their own tv provider. 30 dollars a month, no contracts, free cloud DVR. I get the entire fox sports selection, the entire ESPN selection, NBCSN, and about 70 other channels. Only problem is local channels can be sporadic. You either get all the local channels, or none depending on where you live. So could be an issue during football season.

You need a ps3, ps4, or an Amazon fire stick to run their version of tv. I'd also recommend an internet capable of 30mbps+.

So far it kicks the crap out of cable.

🏀

• All American
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
So a FireStick in every TV would work?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
So a FireStick in every TV would work?

I'm not sure if you can stream to multiple Firesticks in the same house or not. I'd have to find out.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »
From what I've read you can stream to 5 devices simultaneously. As long as they are all under the same IP. (Ie, same house) 

Other news: You can pause and rewind on the fire sticks as well, however you can only rewind to the last 4 minutes. Im guessing this is due to the service being recorded onto the harddrive. Which a fire stick obviously lacks. Other news is if you have an iOS device. Ipad, Iphone.. you can stream via 4g.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58:02 PM »
Whoa .. that's a pretty solid package.

Here's a thread on Sling vs. Vue.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Vue-Support/Slingtv-vs-Vue/td-p/45685292

PlayStation Vue is leaps and bounds better than Sling TV, in so many ways.  Just to name a quick few:
1-2.   PlayStation Vue has a DVR.  Sling TV never had one.
3.   PlayStation Vue allows to pause live TV for a few minutes, about 4 minutes on my Amazon Fire TV devices.  And that's the ability to pause any channel.  Sling TV only allows a pause of a few select channels, not ESPN, CNN or some other major ones.
4.   PlayStation Vue has multiple profiles, not available with Sling TV.
5.   Playstation Vue allows 5 simultaneous sreams with Fire TV devices.  Sling TV only ever allows 1 stream.
6.   PlayStation Vue has a robut VOD library of content available for no additional fee.  Sling TV's VOD library is far less for things that don't cost extra.
7.   Calculate the number of PlayStation Vue channels for the monthly fee versus Sling TV and the cost per channel with PlayStation Vue is far less.
8.   Most channels'  apps for smartphones work with PlayStation Vue credentials, not so with Sling TV.  Only Watch ESPN works with Sling TV credentials.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
Might be looking at ditching the Dish for sure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
What is a FireStick?

I'm assuming the PS3/4 has to be running in order to watch live TV?  If so, is the PS3/4 really made to be running that much?  Are you going to have to buy a new PS3/4 every year when they burn out due to overuse?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
What is a FireStick?

I'm assuming the PS3/4 has to be running in order to watch live TV?  If so, is the PS3/4 really made to be running that much?  Are you going to have to buy a new PS3/4 every year when they burn out due to overuse?

I have a Firestick, but haven't used it for this.  Will look into that.  It's an inexpensive device from Amazon that you can plug into your TV to allow access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and all sorts of other things.  Similar to Apple TV.  They say you can easily move it from TV to TV -- even taking to hotels with you -- but I haven't tried.  It works great for what I wanted (i.e., Netflix).  I'll be looking into using it like being discussed in this thread.  I like UVerse, but it's gotten too damn expensive.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
Just cut my cable completely. Playstation just released nationwide their own tv provider. 30 dollars a month, no contracts, free cloud DVR. I get the entire fox sports selection, the entire ESPN selection, NBCSN, and about 70 other channels. Only problem is local channels can be sporadic. You either get all the local channels, or none depending on where you live. So could be an issue during football season.

You need a ps3, ps4, or an Amazon fire stick to run their version of tv. I'd also recommend an internet capable of 30mbps+.

So far it kicks the crap out of cable.

Just get an HD antenna for local.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:21:23 PM »
What is a FireStick?

A fire stick can watch live tv (Can only pause ~4 minutes) - Costs around $50

A PS3 lasts for years. Mines going at 5. Also functions as a blu-ray(Do not know pause timer) - Can be bought for $50-100

A PS4 can pause for at least 30 minutes. Is also a bluray, amazon video etc... $300-400

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
Also take note of your internet. a 5mbps connection will not work. A 10mbps will stream one and will slow your internet down quite a bit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
A fire stick can watch live tv (Can only pause ~4 minutes) - Costs around $50

A PS3 lasts for years. Mines going at 5. Also functions as a blu-ray(Do not know pause timer) - Can be bought for $50-100

A PS4 can pause for at least 30 minutes. Is also a bluray, amazon video etc... $300-400

PS3 also does netflix, amazon video, hbogo etc

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »
What is a FireStick?

Sorry misread your question.

A firestick is a usb from Amazon. It allows non Smart tv's to function as one. It allows access to Playstation Vue, Netflix, Amazon video, Twitch tv, etc.

It also comes in varieties that are controlled via hdmi if you do not have a usb port on your tv.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
Are you only using your wireless provider as your IP or when you say "cut my cable completely" are you only talking content vs. access?

Given your $/mo and download parameters I believe you are talking access through your wireless provider and content through VUE which would count us out as we need a bigger pipe.  is that correct?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
Signed up for the free 7 day trial with my Fire TV (not the Fire Stick). Seems to work well. Had my local channels On Demand --EXCEPT for CBS. Chicago burbs.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:20 AM »
Are you only using your wireless provider as your IP or when you say "cut my cable completely" are you only talking content vs. access?

Given your $/mo and download parameters I believe you are talking access through your wireless provider and content through VUE which would count us out as we need a bigger pipe.  is that correct?

Sorry im confused by how you stated your question.

What I did was kill off my cable. I still have internet through centurylink (1gbps OMG) but I cut them off as a cable provider.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 07:14:24 AM »
Sorry im confused by how you stated your question.

What I did was kill off my cable. I still have internet through centurylink (1gbps OMG) but I cut them off as a cable provider.
Sorry about the wording - that's exactly what i was looking at for. 

So it boils down to if the content at $30/mo is better or worse than my Google Fiber content at $60/mo

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
Can you use a Firestick without a Play Station? I was reading an article on Cnet and it sounded like you need a PS3 or PS4 before you can use a Firestick.

BTW they said  you could use Chromecast the same as the Firestick.

The cloud DVR only keeps a recording for 28 days and they mention fast forwarding/rewinding is rather clunky on a Firestick.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 11:03:36 AM »
Can you use a Firestick without a Play Station? I was reading an article on Cnet and it sounded like you need a PS3 or PS4 before you can use a Firestick.

BTW they said  you could use Chromecast the same as the Firestick.

The cloud DVR only keeps a recording for 28 days and they mention fast forwarding/rewinding is rather clunky on a Firestick.

From what I've read you don't need a ps3 or 4. Just a playstation account that you can make and sign up for Vue on their website. Note, I haven't tried yet. If someone has a Firestick could you try this out?

DVR's do keep recordings for 28 days at default. I've heard you can save some shows for longer, but have not yet tested. Rewinding on a firestick will only go back 4 minutes due to limited memory space.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
From what I've read you don't need a ps3 or 4. Just a playstation account that you can make and sign up for Vue on their website. Note, I haven't tried yet. If someone has a Firestick could you try this out?

DVR's do keep recordings for 28 days at default. I've heard you can save some shows for longer, but have not yet tested. Rewinding on a firestick will only go back 4 minutes due to limited memory space.

I don't have a PlayStation. Just signed up for a Sony account, signed up for a Vue free trial, then added the Vue app to my Fire TV.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
Sign up quickly.   A few months ago they were contemplating shutting down as they only had 7,000 subs.  Two good friends work there.  I'm hoping they can pick it up.  They've done a bit of a Hail Mary in the last month, hopefully it works. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
Any updates from Wally or anyone with PS/Vue? 

My cable bill just went from $140 to $180, and the scissors are out.

PS/Vue seems pretty awesome. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
Just get an HD antenna for local.

I could be wrong, but I thought the problem with local channels had to do with Fox regional channels. IE, Instead of Fox sports WI you only get fox sports north or something like that. I also heard some areas allow all channels.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
Any updates from Wally or anyone with PS/Vue? 

My cable bill just went from $140 to $180, and the scissors are out.

PS/Vue seems pretty awesome.

I love it so far, haven't had any blackout games (some people complained about this) The DVR is heads over heels better then anything cable can provide. I've had picture quality higher then what I get on cable most times.

The only cons: Fox, CBS, NBC still are not on VUE. Getting a digital antenna will fix this, but you have no DVR for those channels. WGN is also missing so I miss around 40% of cub games. CBSSPORTS is also not on, so if you like more select sports such as lacrosse, you may miss some games. (VUE does have ESPNU and FOX sports 2, so you still get all of those games)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought the problem with local channels had to do with Fox regional channels. IE, Instead of Fox sports WI you only get fox sports north or something like that. I also heard some areas allow all channels.

Some areas do have fox, cbs, etc. I think Chicago is one of those areas.