[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 250810 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #800 on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »

I actually don't think this is a "bipartisan no brainer" in their eyes.  The NFLPA wants their players to play and resents when Goodell exercises his vast power to suspend players.

As evidence, the NFLPA appealed Rice's and Hardy's suspensions.  So if he doesn't suspend players like Brown, the NFLPA is just fine with that.

I think that is because the nflpa feels like they need to fight Goodell on any decision or risk losing ground in their pissing contest. I refuse to believe that the nflpa truly feels strongly about protecting players who beat their wives.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #801 on: October 21, 2016, 03:37:39 PM »
It is absolutely bizarre how the NFL can continue to trip itself up over and over again on the same exact issue.  And why the Giants just don't drop him I can't figure out either.

Mara said the Giants were aware of the abusive relationship, including the need for security to protect Brown’s ex-wife from the kicker at the Pro Bowl.

“He certainly admitted to us that he abused his wife in the past,” Mara said. “What’s a little unclear is the extent of that.”

The Giants knew and didn't care. Simple as that. As long as he was good at kicking a football, beating a woman did not even register on their minds. Like most animals that abuse women, Mara probably figured she deserved it, so why let it affect his team.

brandx

« Reply #802 on: October 21, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »
I hope this doesn't affect the ratings.   

I'll watch a wife beater any day. Just don't make me watch someone who protests peacefully.

I am absolutely sure people are bothered more by Kaepernick than by Rice, Brown, Hardy, or Chapman.

brandx

« Reply #803 on: October 21, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
Well we know one player that isn't fine with it...

There need to be more players like that. Brown's knees won't bend in certain directions any more than anyone else.

Beating a woman time after time after time after time might just be an excuse for a late hit. He should never be allowed back in the league.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #804 on: October 21, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »

#humblebrag?

Not gonna lie, its probably only gonna get worse.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #805 on: October 21, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
Mara said the Giants were aware of the abusive relationship, including the need for security to protect Brown’s ex-wife from the kicker at the Pro Bowl.

“He certainly admitted to us that he abused his wife in the past,” Mara said. “What’s a little unclear is the extent of that.”

But peaceful protests about institutional racism are the problem. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #806 on: October 21, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »
I'll watch a wife beater any day. Just don't make me watch someone who protests peacefully.

I am absolutely sure people are bothered more by Kaepernick than by Rice, Brown, Hardy, or Chapman.

This. If Brown were to have knelt during an anthem, it would be a much bigger story across all media.

The really weird thing about this situation, is it's a kicker. I mean, the Giants signed him to a 2 year contract, at age 40, knowing about some of this. A kicker. I don't understand it. Did Brown have incriminating photos of Mara?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #807 on: October 21, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
This. If Brown were to have knelt during an anthem, it would be a much bigger story across all media.

The really weird thing about this situation, is it's a kicker. I mean, the Giants signed him to a 2 year contract, at age 40, knowing about some of this. A kicker. I don't understand it. Did Brown have incriminating photos of Mara?

That was one of my first thoughts too. Its not like he'd be hard to replace. There really was no reason not to cut ties with him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #808 on: October 23, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
The real Samuel Bradford is showing up so far today.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #809 on: October 23, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
Good day for the Bears today, I've been in full lose every game mode for a few weeks now. Big meaningless wins by the Jets & Fins. Hopefully the Niners can help out as well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #810 on: October 23, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

The Giants knew and didn't care. Simple as that. As long as he was good at kicking a football, beating a woman did not even register on their minds. Like most animals that abuse women, Mara probably figured she deserved it, so why let it affect his team.

I like that Mara believes there's an acceptable level of spousal abuse. He's just not quite sure whether Josh Brown exceeded it.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »

I'm bothered by both, as are most people.  They do not have to be opposing. 

However, one is a criminal action as well as a workplace action protected by the union.  The actions that many of us football fans would like the league to take require essentially a due process under the union bargained rights.

Do not forget that one takes place while watching the game / pre-game, the other takes place in the privacy of one's home and isn't on camera.  How did people feel about Ray Rice before the video came out vs after the video came out?  Watching someone insult the nation and not standing for the national anthem on camera has an effect, whether we choose to accept that or not. Then when it spreads to other players on other teams, it grabs some people as disrespectful.  Either way, people can easily be upset at both scenarios.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »
No game has ever deserved to end in a tie more than this SEA/AZ game.

What a truly awful game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #813 on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
When that thing went into overtime, I went to bed.  I made a good call.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #814 on: October 24, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »
No game has ever deserved to end in a tie more than this SEA/AZ game.

What a truly awful game.

I'm a 54-year old guy with two herniated discs, and I could have made either of those last two FGs in OT.

Were the kickers doing tequila shots on the sidelines?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #815 on: October 24, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
Packers with a bunch of roster moves.  Abby to IR with a 'thigh contusion'. (Heard that right.)  Allison to 53.  Somebody had to be interested in signing Geronimo and Ted said 'Dump Abby'.  No disagreement from me.  Guy had 3 years.  Allison looks like a real player as soon as next year.

Also Banjo to IR with the announcement that Randall out 4-6 following groin surgery.  Expect a DB signing shortly.  Probably a street vet.

The Browns have now claimed Callahan following his release by the Saints.  His entire extended family is reportedly weeping audibly.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:41:36 PM by jsglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #816 on: October 24, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Callahan should have stuck on packers practice squad.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #817 on: October 24, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
Callahan should have stuck on packers practice squad.

I'm not sure his financial planner would agree.
Minimum NFL salary = $27,000 a week
Practice squad salary = $6,900 a week

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #818 on: October 24, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
I'm not sure his financial planner would agree.
Minimum NFL salary = $27,000 a week
Practice squad salary = $6,900 a week

On occasion the Packers have paid more than PS standard to keep a guy they like.  But one has to get to the PS first.  Callahan is subject to his existing contract and has now been claimed on waivers by 2 clubs in accordance with that contract. Only true vets like Sitton are immediate free agents able to do whatever they want.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #819 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
On occasion the Packers have paid more than PS standard to keep a guy they like.  But one has to get to the PS first.  Callahan is subject to his existing contract and has now been claimed on waivers by 2 clubs in accordance with that contract. Only true vets like Sitton are immediate free agents able to do whatever they want.

I don't think that's the case.  I think Callahan could have turned down signing with the Saints and the Browns to stay on the practice squad.  Once the Packers and Saints cut him, the contract is void.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #820 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »

I don't think that's the case.  I think Callahan could have turned down signing with the Saints and the Browns to stay on the practice squad.  Once the Packers and Saints cut him, the contract is void.

Perhaps.  But at minimum he is 100% subject to waiver claim and is not free to negotiate with anyone's 53 until he clears. He's never cleared since leaving the Packers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #821 on: October 24, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
Perhaps.  But at minimum he is 100% subject to waiver claim and is not free to negotiate with anyone's 53 until he clears. He's never cleared since leaving the Packers.

OK I got it.  Thanks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #822 on: October 24, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
Sultan,  while I've not done the research and I'm not sure about the exact details, I do know that at the end of the season ANY junior player on the 53 or IR is 100% bound to his team as an exclusive rights FA and that it doesn't apply to PS guys.  Last year the Packers elevated a young DB for the Arizona playoff game and left him inactive while they  IRd some guy that was hurt. This was done for the sole purpose of control going forward. I am also 100% certain that a PS guy can decline a 53 contract.  Not sure about the other direction unless he clears waivers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #823 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
I think if a player is waived, and they clear waivers, they can go wherever they want.  The problem, as you pointed out, is that Callahan didn't clear waivers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:37 AM »
I think if a player is waived, and they clear waivers, they can go wherever they want.  The problem, as you pointed out, is that Callahan didn't clear waivers.

100% agree with your statement.  The remaining unanswered technical question is whether a player is allowed to deny a waiver claim and sign a PS contract.  Admittedly, few if any would.

On a side note, I'm very convinced (with no evidence) that Geronimo's agent 'got a call' and TT made a roster move with Abby just to keep his young, seemingly talented receiver.

feedback