[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 251212 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
Picking AP in the first round looks like it's gonna pay off for me. Though I feel bad for Teddy, like him as a player. Almost picked him as a backup QB with my last pick, but opted for Matty Ice instead.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »
That's the worst idea i've ever heard, no way the Vikes do this!

*thinks about the Shaun Hill era in Minnesota*

Crap, it actually makes sense

Main reason it made sense to me is Cutler's essentially on a one year deal, so a team could basically use him for a year and then cut him at minimal cost...but it'll never happen anyway.

brandx

« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
Is Colin's bigger beef with America and the West in general, driven mostly by his new religion?

That's twice now with Muslim comments.

Proof?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »
Didn't read how it happened, but how does a QB get injured like that in practice?

Sounds like a non-contact injury.
Sometimes the knee just blows. Must be because of those chicken legs of his.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
That's twice now with Muslim comments.

Proof?

It's all over the interents, if you Google it, so obviously it's gotta be true.   (But really, it is.  Something about it being for his girlfriend)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »
Look, I despise the Vikings as much as any Packer fan but I absolutely hate it when someone's starting QB (or anyone for that matter) goes down.  There's simply no recovery possible if this is a season ending thing.  One can survive 5-6 weeks (maybe) missing their QB but not 16.  To make the playoffs one needs to win 10 games minimum. Baring some kind of miracle (assuming the worst for Teddy), the Vikings ain't winning 10 games given today's probable developments.  And it can happen to any of our favorite teams on any given day.  That simply sucks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »
Look, I despise the Vikings as much as any Packer fan but I absolutely hate it when someone's starting QB (or anyone for that matter) goes down.  There's simply no recovery possible if this is a season ending thing.  One can survive 5-6 weeks (maybe) missing their QB but not 16.  To make the playoffs one needs to win 10 games minimum. Baring some kind of miracle (assuming the worst for Teddy), the Vikings ain't winning 10 games given today's probable developments.  And it can happen to any of our favorite teams on any given day.  That simply sucks.

In 1987, Jay Schroeder went down in Washington's season opener. Doug Williams came in and led the team to the Super Bowl.
In 1999, Trent Green tore his ACL in the preseason. Backup Kurt Warner came in and, well, you know.
In 2001, Drew Bledsoe got hurt in week two and some guy named Brady came in and, see above.
In 2008, that same Brady guy got his knee blown out in the first quarter of week one. Backup Matt Cassel came in and led the Pats to the playoffs.

Is it likely Shaun Hill matches the seasons those guys above had? Not at all. But the Vikings are built on defense and running anyhow, so this isn't nearly as devastating as it would be for many other teams.
Also, fwiw, teams with 9 or fewer wins can and do make the playoff sometimes (including two of them last year). The NFC is weak, so 9 could get a team in for sure.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »
In 1987, Jay Schroeder went down in Washington's season opener. Doug Williams came in and led the team to the Super Bowl.
In 1999, Trent Green tore his ACL in the preseason. Backup Kurt Warner came in and, well, you know.
In 2001, Drew Bledsoe got hurt in week two and some guy named Brady came in and, see above.
In 2008, that same Brady guy got his knee blown out in the first quarter of week one. Backup Matt Cassel came in and led the Pats to the playoffs.

Is it likely Shaun Hill matches the seasons those guys above had? Not at all. But the Vikings are built on defense and running anyhow, so this isn't nearly as devastating as it would be for many other teams.
Also, fwiw, teams with 9 or fewer wins can and do make the playoff sometimes (including two of them last year). The NFC is weak, so 9 could get a team in for sure.

Possible.  HIGHLY unlikely.  Make that VERY HIGHLY unlikely.  And of course never mind that you covered 30 years of football and two of the replacements ended up being HOF QB's.  It's going to be stack the box and shut 'em down.  Sorry.  It sucks.  I like Teddy and think the Vikings were beginning to reach the upper level.  Not this year.  Let's hope for a successful recovery.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:40:44 PM by jsglow »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:02 PM »
Just looked at their depth chart, not only is Shaun Hill their backup, but their 3rd string QB? Joel Stave. Nothing against the Vikings but I would laugh so hard if they had to resort to starting Joel Stave of all players.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkJoe?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Torn ACL, done for year.  Pretty bad for Viking fans, team and no way to introduce their beautiful stadium.  Shame and best of luck to Bridgewater in his rehab.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkJoe?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Torn ACL, done for year.  Pretty bad for Viking fans, team and no way to introduce their beautiful stadium.  Shame and best of luck to Bridgewater in his rehab.

Fake account, I'm actually afraid its much, much worse than an ACL.

brandx

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

Cassell did not lead NE to the playoffs.

Brady and Warner are HoFers. (Hill is not - they probably wouldn't let him visit if he paid.)

Williams had already led TB to the playoffs - several times, IIRC.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
Fake account, I'm actually afraid its much, much worse than an ACL.

Yeah, just saw that, sorry guys.  Not a Vikes fan, but I hope its not too bad. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
You have a lot bigger problems than cutler. A porous defense and offensive line to start. Even if you do get a High rated QB, he better be able to move his feet cause he won't be getting any time. Wouldn't put him in a position to succeed.

Without a doubt. On the list of Bears issues right now, Cutler is at the bottom.

I was looking at this through the lens of what's best for Ryan Pace if things go bad this season. Typically, most GMs get at least one chance to bring in their QB. Doing so in most cases also gives the GM some time to have that player develop, which allows a GM the opportunity to add more talent and make-up for past mistakes.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »
Vikings officially calling it a 'significant' knee injury.  Waiting on details.

Shaun Hill is 34 years old and 16-18 lifetime.  Respectfully, that simply won't work if one thinks the playoffs are remotely possible.  Moreover, any quick trade for a Kaepernick or someone else necessitates a period of familiarization.  Rome isn't built in a day in the NFL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
Knowing what the Vikings do on offense, Sanchez may be the best bet.  Whomever it is will be handing the ball off a lot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
Cassell did not lead NE to the playoffs.

Ugh . You're right. They went 11-5 and somehow didn't make the playoffs.
The rest is besides the point. League history is rife with examples of starting QBs going down early and their teams faring well with a backup. In a weak NFC (and NFC North in particular) with a team built around running and defense, this isn't a death blow to the Vikings.
For the record, I'm not a Viking fan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »
If Minnesota finds a game managing QB, one who protects the ball, throws the checkdown, and hands off to AP 25 times a game, they could still make the playoffs.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
Backup QB is (to me) one of the most interesting positions in all sports. Finding a good (at minimum) starting QB is hard enough in this day and age. If you have a great one, you're allocating a large percentage of your cap spend to that guy. You can plan to a degree on life without your starter, but at what cost? Young guy learning the ropes? Old vet who's been a career back up? Mobile/athletic guy who can do some things but isn't a great passer? Guys like Brady and Kurt Warner, ultimate outliers in history as far as taking over teams and leading them to tremendous success.

I was thinking this week about what I thought of the NFC and more so the North, and I thought the Vikes are right there on the cusp, but there was some signs of schedule regression coming. I remember thinking about that Pack/Vikes game from last year in Minny, and recollecting how I didn't trust Teddy to lead the Vikes back from behind to win that game, and I was looking forward to seeing early this year if the Vikes got behind, did Teddy and the coaching staff grow in the offseason to instill confidence in one another to win that type of game?

Certainly Teddy being done for the year doesn't end their season per se, but the question of can the Vikes get to that next level (Seahawks/Cards/Pack) will have to be answered next year, and take a year off of their playoff window.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »
If the Vikings want to become the class of the NFC they needed Teddy to be more than he has shown he is so far.  He is young so he could definitely get there, but he also isn't a sure thing to get there.  Hopefully he gets a chance to take that step in his career.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »
Knowing what the Vikings do on offense, Sanchez may be the best bet.  Whomever it is will be handing the ball off a lot.

Sanchez would be a good choice.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »
Sanchez would be a good choice.

You may be right. Sounds awful to me, though.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
Dislocated knee. Brutal. That's Shawn Livingston esq.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
That's brutal for Teddy, at least a couple years to get back, could be his career.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
Is Colin's bigger beef with America and the West in general, driven mostly by his new religion?

I think he's tryin to impress the babe, nessa and get to 3rd base and maybe even steal home, heinie?
don't...don't don't don't don't