collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 251146 times)

jesmu84

• All American
NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »
Really liked the Bears' moves today.

The best one may have been moving Kyle Long back inside to guard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:04 AM »
Agreed. Nice moves by the Bears yesterday. I'd still like to see them land a young CB but that'll likely be in the draft.

From a fan perspective, it hurts to officially lose Forte but at least he's not headed to the Packers.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
BJ Raji taking a 1 year hiatus from football, may return after next season.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »
Bears add Akiem Hicks. Good signing. Bears' LB corps looks legit now - McPhee, Trevaithan, Freeman, Young/Houston. Plus Hicks upfront with the other current linemen. 2 above average corners - Porter/Fuller. Gotta get a safety.

Happy with Pace's decisions so far.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »
BJ Raji taking a 1 year hiatus from football, may return after next season.

HGH

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
HGH

Wouldn't be all that surprised. He's on a team with Clay, right?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
HGH

Eh. The whole league's taking the stuff, so I'd doubt it's anything like that. He's had plenty of injury issues, and while he was decent, he didn't exactly set the world on fire last year, so I'm taking him at his word on this. That said, I wouldnt be surprised to see the year hiatus turn into a 3-4 month hiatus and he actually ends up playing next year.  Nor would I be surprised to see it turn into retirement a year from now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »
SKOL VIKINGS! Looking forward to another trip to the Super Bowl this coming season.

Hope you jerks don't drag our division down.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:55:36 PM »
SKOL VIKINGS! Looking forward to another trip to the Super Bowl this coming season.

Hope you jerks don't drag our division down.

Haven't you guys stunk up the SB enough already?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:06:23 AM »
Agreed. Nice moves by the Bears yesterday. I'd still like to see them land a young CB but that'll likely be in the draft.

From a fan perspective, it hurts to officially lose Forte but at least he's not headed to the Packers.

Eh, he's a running back with a lot of miles and injuries on the wrong side of 30. Probably good the bears let him walk. Langford should be serviceable.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
I was in Chicago during a Bears preseason game going into last season and Langford was in there.  Thought he was going to be a stud.  Still think he will.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
Eh, he's a running back with a lot of miles and injuries on the wrong side of 30. Probably good the bears let him walk. Langford should be serviceable.

Obviously, I have no problems with the Bears letting Forte walk, especially given what you mentioned, but he was a very good player for a long time and an excellent person. I'll be rooting for him to do well with the Jets.

What we've learned recently in the NFL is that there are a handful of "elite" RBs, there are quite a few lost-a-step RBs and the remaining RBs are basically interchangeable. A majority of a RB's success comes as a result of their system.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »
I was in Chicago during a Bears preseason game going into last season and Langford was in there.  Thought he was going to be a stud.  Still think he will.

I think he'll be good. But Bears must have some hesitation with them trying to bring in CJ Anderson as well as talk of them taking Ezekiel Elliot if he falls in the draft.

Note: I would rather them take the ND OT or CB/S in the draft.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
I think he'll be good. But Bears must have some hesitation with them trying to bring in CJ Anderson as well as talk of them taking Ezekiel Elliot if he falls in the draft.

Note: I would rather them take the ND OT or CB/S in the draft.

I think it is BPA at 11, whether it is an offensive tackle, defensive lineman/edge rusher, or a CB.  I haven't been following that closely but I don't think there's a safety that is being talked about as being worth that high of a pick. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
TT somewhat abandons his dumbazz policy and signs a free agent TE in Jared Cook.  I like this pick up, an elite athlete at TE who finally has a qb throwing to him.   

brandx

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
TT somewhat abandons his dumbazz policy and signs a free agent TE in Jared Cook.  I like this pick up, an elite athlete at TE who finally has a qb throwing to him.

I think he followed his policy to a 'T'. He is willing to sign FAs at his price. He will never overpay.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
Lord knows he doesn't need too much money lying around to sign most of his crappy draft picks after their initial contract.    Maybe he was saving up for the those big kicker contracts he wanted to give.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »
Lord knows he doesn't need too much money lying around to sign most of his crappy draft picks after their initial contract.    Maybe he was saving up for the those big kicker contracts he wanted to give.

So he never signs free agents and "most" of his draft picks are "crappy," yet since he took over the Packers are a contender year after year and a top 5 organization in his time. Must be all luck.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
Guy wins a Super Bowl with his philosophy yet people still bitch.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
What is it like in your alternate universe?
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »
Obviously, I have no problems with the Bears letting Forte walk, especially given what you mentioned, but he was a very good player for a long time and an excellent person. I'll be rooting for him to do well with the Jets.

What we've learned recently in the NFL is that there are a handful of "elite" RBs, there are quite a few lost-a-step RBs and the remaining RBs are basically interchangeable. A majority of a RB's success comes as a result of their system.

If you view NFL positions as commodities I think the RB position is the most overvalued and oversupplied position in the NFL. IMO, the glut of adequate talent is due to the current players growing up in the heyday of the running back era (Emmit Smith, Thurman Thomas, etc). Teams are much better placed looking for QB and offensive line talent which is rarer and taking just a step behind the rest RB talent
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »

"lot of miles and injuries"

8 seasons
16 games: 5 times
15 games: 1 time
13 games: 1 time
12 games: 1 time

8 games missed out of 128.

I understand the decision to let him leave, but let's not pretend it was a durability issue.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
How many years do you have to wait until you can critique TT again?  5 years?  10?

It's obvious he hit the jackpot with Rodgers and that's why we won the SB and should have won another by now.  TT has been unable to draft a good defense and now o line.   

At least McCarthy finally called out TT for his ineptitude in free agency personnel decisions this offseason.  Bout time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/24/report-mccarthy-fed-up-with-thompsons-approach-to-free-agency/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
How many years do you have to wait until you can critique TT again?  5 years?  10?

It's obvious he hit the jackpot with Rodgers and that's why we won the SB and should have won another by now.  TT has been unable to draft a good defense and now o line.   

At least McCarthy finally called out TT for his ineptitude in free agency personnel decisions this offseason.  Bout time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/24/report-mccarthy-fed-up-with-thompsons-approach-to-free-agency/

If McCarthy wouldn't have completely effed up the Seahawks game we would have another SB.  Maybe Mac should worry about coaching the pieces he has in place instead of worrying about the pieces Ted isn't going to overpay to get.

I can guarantee you about 30 other NFL franchises would kill to have TT as their GM.  I don't think you can come close to 30 other NFL franchises who would kill to have Mike McCarthy as their head coach.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
No way bro.   :)

I'm definitely excited about the Cook signing though.  He's gonna blow up next year.

feedback