[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2016-17 Schedule  (Read 68629 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: 2016-17 Schedule
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
The regional argument has merit. As a high schooler, I loved it when we beat the crap out of the University of Tennessee. That is because I lived in Nashville, TN and went to school with smug Vol fans. I hated the Vols and thought no fruit sucks like a Big Orange.

One of the fallouts from conference realignment is the break-up of natural rivalries. At one time or another, Notre Dame, DePaul, Wisconsin, Loyola of Chicago and even Detroit (when Vitale coached them) were rivalries to us. We also periodically played Dayton, Memphis State, Loserville and Cincinnati. Cincy was the best proof of a rivalry being focused on a person, since it was easy to hate the University of Cincinnati when the Huggy Bear Coached there. 

Of these local rivalries, only DePaul and the rodent remain.

I shudder to think it publicly, but I wonder whether Wisconsin will continue to play us annually. At some point and especially if the series becomes as lopsided as it was in the 1970s, the red rodent will burrow a hole and go elsewhere. It's not inconceivable especially since we're in different conferences. Truth be told, we need the rodent on our schedule more than the rodent needs us.

The new rivalries will come. Some pop-off coach will say something. Or a team's representatives will be rude, boorish and somehow catch us on a bad day. Or the trash talk will get out of hand. Not sure where that will be yet, but someone will say something and, whamo, a rivalry is born.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »
MU/Iowa State would be fantastic in mid December.

I didn't know you could have an intra-squad scrimmage in public. Thought the NCAA didn't like it!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
There are the B1G/ACC, Big12/SEC and the B1G/BigEast (Gavitt) challenge games. Why hasn't the PAC12 got in some kind of a challenge? Seems like a natural for the Big East and PAC12 both on FS1.
Just curious.

UCLA and Arizona, allegedly, want no part of it.  A BE/PAC-12 challenge without those two would be useless - hence why nothing has been agreed upon.  Fox really wanted it, and obviously the Big East wanted it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »
UCLA and Arizona, allegedly, want no part of it.  A BE/PAC-12 challenge without those two would be useless - hence why nothing has been agreed upon.  Fox really wanted it, and obviously the Big East wanted it.

Why? Are they afraid of Nova? Any links?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
The regional argument has merit. As a high schooler, I loved it when we beat the crap out of the University of Tennessee. That is because I lived in Nashville, TN and went to school with smug Vol fans. I hated the Vols and thought no fruit sucks like a Big Orange.

One of the fallouts from conference realignment is the break-up of natural rivalries. At one time or another, Notre Dame, DePaul, Wisconsin, Loyola of Chicago and even Detroit (when Vitale coached them) were rivalries to us. We also periodically played Dayton, Memphis State, Loserville and Cincinnati. Cincy was the best proof of a rivalry being focused on a person, since it was easy to hate the University of Cincinnati when the Huggy Bear Coached there. 

Of these local rivalries, only DePaul and the rodent remain.

I shudder to think it publicly, but I wonder whether Wisconsin will continue to play us annually. At some point and especially if the series becomes as lopsided as it was in the 1970s, the red rodent will burrow a hole and go elsewhere. It's not inconceivable especially since we're in different conferences. Truth be told, we need the rodent on our schedule more than the rodent needs us.

The new rivalries will come. Some pop-off coach will say something. Or a team's representatives will be rude, boorish and somehow catch us on a bad day. Or the trash talk will get out of hand. Not sure where that will be yet, but someone will say something and, whamo, a rivalry is born.
I agree with this analysis.

I enjoyed the rivalry with Detroit back in the Day.

“He was larger than life,” said Dick Vitale, the loquacious ESPN analyst whose early years coaching at Detroit overlapped with McGuire’s last few years at Marquette. “He was such a personality, so enthusiastic about what he was doing. That was the type of coach I wanted to be. The first time I met him I was in awe.”

Vitale’s Detroit Titans beat Marquette’s eventual national champions during McGuire’s final season, after McGuire had passed along a valuable lesson about motivation the year before.

“We were up on them pretty good at halftime at our place, and I was all excited in the locker room---‘We can beat these guys! I told you they’re overrated, no better than us,’ “ Vitale recalled. “That was a really good Marquette team, too, and they came out in the second half and they got us. Al told me later, ‘Dickie, you gave us one we didn’t deserve that night. We could hear you through the wall, so we just sat there and listened. I didn’t say a word to my guys. I just told them, ‘That’s what they think of us.’ You woke us up.”
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

Yah why? Don't want to lose home games to east coast private schools?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
Yah why? Don't want to lose home games to east coast private schools?
I think Arizona got all they wanted when they lost to Providence this season .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
They're a few reasons they (Arizona and UCLA) are against it.  For one, they value their home games and choosing their opponents before PAC-12 conference games begin, and a majority of their remaining non-home games are in tournaments before conference play starts.  In the past three years alone, UCLA (Missouri and Alabama) and Arizona (Michigan) have had a combined three non-tournament away games that are not in or near the west coast.  They very much value having regional buy games with a preseason tournament before conference play begins.  Forcing them into a scheduling agreement limits their flexibility

Another unfortunate fact is that they really don't need the bump in strength of scheduling or exposure for their programs.  They can (and have) scheduled a Gonzaga, a UNLV, a San Diego State or even a Big 12 school, when they really want a tough opponent before conference play begins.  They don't need a scheduling arrangement with the Big East to accomplish this. Also, look at what happened with Arizona against Providence - it really only hurts them.  They don't need the win in scheduling, and it really hurts if they lose. 

Unfortunately, other PAC-12 schools, like Oregon, Utah, California, Arizona State and Stanford would really be/are in favor of the arrangement.  However, if the two blue chip programs are against the agreement, there's no point in the Big East to try and have a scheduling agreement with them.  This is why the rumored agreement never got done (and will not get done unless UCLA/Arizona change their tune).

Conversely, even though we are not apart of the Gavitt Games this year, we managed to negotiate that each B1G team appear in the agreement a minimum of four times until agreement runs out in 2022 (Big East teams appear a minimum of six times).  We would not have made an agreement with them if Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland and/or Wisconsin decided to not participate.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
Per Jon Rothstein, Fresno State will play at the BC this year. Defending Mountain West tournament champions. Definitely a better buy than last year's MWC foe, San Jose State.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2016, 12:39:46 PM »
Per Jon Rothstein, Fresno State will play at the BC this year. Defending Mountain West tournament champions. Definitely a better buy than last year's MWC foe, San Jose State.
Yes, though it is interesting that Fresno State lost at San Jose State (6-22) this past season.  Jerry Wainwright is the associate head coach of Fresno State, btw.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
Marquette is expected to begin announcing the team's full slate non-conference games on Tuesday via its social media accounts.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
Oh for the love of God just announce the whole damn thing at once this year. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

Nice. RPI of 66 last year.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »
Jerry Wainwright is assoc HC!

Can't wait to see how JW has aged.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Cullen Russo from MN could have helped us last year. Hope he doesn't REBOUND all over our f'n head.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2016, 02:37:20 PM »
So I did some math today based on this Tweet from today:

Quote from: @MarquetteMBB
#mubb 2nd @2KClassic home matchup will open 3-game homestand & run of 7-of-8 outings at @BMOHBC

We know the first five opponents...
  • Nov 11: Vanderbilt (N)
  • Nov 14: EMU/IUPUI/Gardner-Webb/Howard (H)
  • Nov 17: Michigan/Pitt/SMU (N)
  • Nov 18: Michigan/Pitt/SMU (N)
  • Nov 22: EMU/IUPUI/Gardner-Webb/Howard (H)
But looking at what they've posted, there's a hiccup. And we pretty well know the following:
  • Nov 27: Likely Buy Game, guessing the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend as it's more likely students will be back.
  • Nov 29/30 or Dec 1: Third of three-game homestand mentioned above
  • Dec 4: Georgia, only true road game, this is on sicemdawgs.com.
  • Dec 6/7: Likely Buy Game tune-up before Wisconsin
  • Dec 10: Wisconsin
  • Dec 13/14: Likely Buy Game
  • Dec 17: Likely Buy Game, possibly Fresno State (likely biggest buy game, try to get weekend crowd)
  • Dec 20/21: ???, last game before Christmas and expected Dec 28 Big East opener
7 of 8 at home automatically includes the the one away as the Georgia game. But it also leaves us one game short of the 13 allowed for the schedule. So either there is another game coming that will be a neutral site or road game, or Marquette is only playing 12 games (in which case seems like the Dec 13/14 date would be most likely to be eliminated). This would give the team a week for Christmas and before Big East play tips off.

If there's any intrigue left in this, outside of finding out whether we play East Western State or the Western University Dolphins, it's what that 13th game away from home would be.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
So I did some math today based on this Tweet from today:

We know the first five opponents...
  • Nov 11: Vanderbilt (N)
  • Nov 14: EMU/IUPUI/Gardner-Webb/Howard (H)
  • Nov 17: Michigan/Pitt/SMU (N)
  • Nov 18: Michigan/Pitt/SMU (N)
  • Nov 22: EMU/IUPUI/Gardner-Webb/Howard (H)
But looking at what they've posted, there's a hiccup. And we pretty well know the following:
  • Nov 27: Likely Buy Game, guessing the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend as it's more likely students will be back.
  • Nov 29/30 or Dec 1: Third of three-game homestand mentioned above
  • Dec 4: Georgia, only true road game, this is on sicemdawgs.com.
  • Dec 6/7: Likely Buy Game tune-up before Wisconsin
  • Dec 10: Wisconsin
  • Dec 13/14: Likely Buy Game
  • Dec 17: Likely Buy Game, possibly Fresno State (likely biggest buy game, try to get weekend crowd)
  • Dec 20/21: ???, last game before Christmas and expected Dec 28 Big East opener
7 of 8 at home automatically includes the the one away as the Georgia game. But it also leaves us one game short of the 13 allowed for the schedule. So either there is another game coming that will be a neutral site or road game, or Marquette is only playing 12 games (in which case seems like the Dec 13/14 date would be most likely to be eliminated). This would give the team a week for Christmas and before Big East play tips off.

If there's any intrigue left in this, outside of finding out whether we play East Western State or the Western University Dolphins, it's what that 13th game away from home would be.
Would like to see us get UWM or UWGB on those buy dates even if we have to do a 2 for 1.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Would like to see us get UWM or UWGB on those buy dates even if we have to do a 2 for 1.

You keep saying this, and I keep telling you all the reasons that it will not happen.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »
Since it will be finals week, I can't see a game the week of Dec. 12th.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
You keep saying this, and I keep telling you all the reasons that it will not happen.
My discussions with the Athletic Department lead me to believe that they are open to doing those kind of transactions under the right circumstances. 
                       ---Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
My discussions with the Athletic Department lead me to believe that they are open to doing those kind of transactions under the right circumstances.

Yeah. You're clearly talking to the wrong Athletics Department. UWM and UWGB want a home game.

This won't happen. Get kostas on the team and then they will make it work.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
Yeah. You're clearly talking to the wrong Athletics Department. UWM and UWGB want a home game.

This won't happen. Get kostas on the team and then they will make it work.

Our guys are willing to consider a 3 for 1.
                       ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »
Our guys are willing to consider a 3 for 1.

If they are they should be fired....especially for UWM. There are no reasons to play UWM at anything more than a straight buy game. Even than I would be very opposed to playing UWM. There is zero benefit, they are even worse now than they were when we got a 4 for 1 and they couldn't come close to selling out Panther Arena for the one "road" game.

I don't see any reason to play UWGB, especially now that Wardle's gone....but if they offered a 4 for 1 I wouldn't be pissed if we accepted it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
If they are they should be fired....especially for UWM. There are no reasons to play UWM at anything more than a straight buy game. Even than I would be very opposed to playing UWM. There is zero benefit, they are even worse now than they were when we got a 4 for 1 and they couldn't come close to selling out Panther Arena for the one "road" game.

I don't see any reason to play UWGB, especially now that Wardle's gone....but if they offered a 4 for 1 I wouldn't be pissed if we accepted it.

There is RPI value in "road " wins.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2016, 08:29:57 PM »
There is absolutely no indication that Marquette has any interest in a 3 for 1 with either UWM or UWGB.

feedback