[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of the Program Now, now  (Read 13957 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: State of the Program Now, now
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
And about 3 % have the budget and 4/5 star players we do

And infinite% more starters who have played in two final fours. But again, do you have any other topics of conversation besides the Badgers?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
The reality is that MU is playing with mostly 7 players.3 are Freshmen,2 are so called veterans from the old regime that turn the ball over way to much and play suspect defense.They have no sub for the 2 frontcourt players and only have 1 true ballhandler who is a freshman.Inexperience at guard is not good at any level.Wojo has only had one recruiting class.It is going to take another 2 classes before things really turnaround.The fan base has to understand this was a total rebuilding project.The cupboard was bare.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
And about 3 % have the budget and 4/5 star players we do

Is your self worth predicated on how MU does?  I'm worried for you Nate, I really am.

We'll be fine, young staff and young team.  If we aren't fine, then they will replace, but I've got news for a lot of folks here, the approach isn't changing.  Kids will be held accountable for their actions off the court, as will coaches.  That seems to irk some folks.  Too bad.  They are running a university first and foremost, not a minor league team where they get to act as if they are on an island onto themselves without repercussions. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
Is your self worth predicated on how MU does?  I'm worried for you Nate, I really am.

We'll be fine, young staff and young team.  If we aren't fine, then they will replace, but I've got news for a lot of folks here, the approach isn't changing.  Kids will be held accountable for their actions off the court, as will coaches.  That seems to irk some folks.  Too bad.  They are running a university first and foremost, not a minor league team where they get to act as if they are on an island onto themselves without repercussions.

I don't want to overstate its importance, because there are elements that will try to work around it...

...however, the new eligibility requirements could cause some issues for programs who tend to bring in lesser-students...

Will there be significant impact? Probably not as much in the BEast (some exceptions, certainly)... but I've got to believe there are some talents that will struggle to reach eligibility.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
I think it's in Wisconsin, not Michigan

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
I don't want to overstate its importance, because there are elements that will try to work around it...

...however, the new eligibility requirements could cause some issues for programs who tend to bring in lesser-students...

Will there be significant impact? Probably not as much in the BEast (some exceptions, certainly)... but I've got to believe there are some talents that will struggle to reach eligibility.

Yup, could happen.  They will adjust on the margins if I had to guess.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
The reality is that MU is playing with mostly 7 players.3 are Freshmen,2 are so called veterans from the old regime that turn the ball over way to much and play suspect defense.They have no sub for the 2 frontcourt players and only have 1 true ballhandler who is a freshman.Inexperience at guard is not good at any level.Wojo has only had one recruiting class.It is going to take another 2 classes before things really turnaround.The fan base has to understand this was a total rebuilding project.The cupboard was bare.

This I agree with. Almost totally. Maybe we Warriors expected too much this year.  Next year should be telling and the year after that demonstrative as to the kind of coach Wojo is and the kind of program we will become.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
Not as bad as it will be, if we manage to lose at DePaul and then again to DePaul in Big East tournament. MUScoopers will be jumping out of windows.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
Maybe we Warriors expected too much this year. 

This team has exceeded the win total I expected from them.  My rationale was that counting on freshman to produce at a high level is not consistent and that we didn't have enough size after Henry and Luke.    IMO, they are better than I expected because Haanif and Traci, and Henry are better than I expected.   As I have said ad nauseum and ad infinitum, freshmen are not reliably consistent.    They just aren't.    Every challenge is new.   The Creighton game was a challenge of stopping the transition game and a really gifted PG.   Coming off of a double overtime game.   New to half the team.   

As much as we wish it to be different, a freshmen dominated team is unlikely to be a consistent team, a tournament team.  Other than a few more wins, this team has been exactly what I expected. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
dgies9156

I am far from giving up, I love MU ball way too much. My frustration comes from the lack of consistent improvement. JJJ has been the bright light of the season for me. I can live without the NCAA for a few years if the end game is being a top tier program.

We are from a great era and remember when Xavier was a cupcake on our schedule. They are now so far beyond our program that it makes cringe. There is a tremendous amount of work ahead for this program.

Goose

What concerns me is when I tune in from afar and see all of the empty seats. Al defined job success in a way that only he could: were the four seats in the upper corners of the Arena filled?

Perhaps more than anyone here, your family has been a part of the Marquette narrative from the beginning. You know the history and the traditions cold.

When ground floor alums start bringing forward the questions you are now asking the administration needs to listen. While I remain optimistic for the future I am taking note that guys like you are expressing concerns.     

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »

What concerns me is when I tune in from afar and see all of the empty seats. Al defined job success in a way that only he could: were the four seats in the upper corners of the Arena filled?

Perhaps more than anyone here, your family has been a part of the Marquette narrative from the beginning. You know the history and the traditions cold.

When ground floor alums start bringing forward the questions you are now asking the administration needs to listen. While I remain optimistic for the future I am taking note that guys like you are expressing concerns.     

The upperdeck of the student section was empty at tip-off.  That's an issue.  Young fans are apathetic.

And with regards to youth, we're starting 3 juniors and a McDonald's All-American.  Plus we sort of made it easy to leave for a would be senior in STJ.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:57:48 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 01:56:46 PM »
Goose

Lets be fair about the attendance. Our current facility is way to big for MU. The old arena was the perfect size, and it is much easier to sell 11k versus 18k.Agree with the concerns raised by Goose. Three straight years of sub par is wearing on the old timers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »
Lets be fair about the attendance. Our current facility is way to big for MU. The old arena was the perfect size, and it is much easier to sell 11k versus 18k.Agree with the concerns raised by Goose. Three straight years of sub par is wearing on the old timers.

Our old facility was great if we were a Horizon League team, not a BEast team.  I agree with you that 3 sub par years is wearing on the old timers.  Count me among them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

If we were having the season Seton Hall is having we would have 15-16k at games. I was at the Seton Hall game back on the 3rd. Granted it was a late mid week start, but the lower bowl was only 2/3 full (maybe 8000) and 100 were MU fans. The upper deck at the Rock is not available for seating at Seton Hall games. We start winning attendance will go up.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
It has the Dukiet/KO era feeling.  It was not all roses with KO.  There was a fair amount of criticism of KO in his 3d year.  Players did not seem to be developing, the offensive and defensive schemes were questionable, and the Warriors lost at Dayton and were absolutely demolished by Kansas.

In brief, Marquette had a young coach and a young team.  The bright spot was that KO brought in consistently good recruiting classes.  I second the opinion that there seemed to be some momentum toward the end of the 1991-1992 season.

Wojo had much the same rebuilding project as KO, but then again KO had a much bigger task.  In 1989, KO did not have a state-of-the-art athletic facility, Marquette was in the god-awful MCC, and Marquette was nowhere near a top 5 (in dollars spent) program.

I will reserve judgment on Wojo for another season, but his "floor" is a lot higher than KO's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »
It has the Dukiet/KO era feeling.  It was not all roses with KO.  There was a fair amount of criticism of KO in his 3d year.  Players did not seem to be developing, the offensive and defensive schemes were questionable, and the Warriors lost at Dayton and were absolutely demolished by Kansas.

In brief, Marquette had a young coach and a young team.  The bright spot was that KO brought in consistently good recruiting classes.  I second the opinion that there seemed to be some momentum toward the end of the 1991-1992 season.

Wojo had much the same rebuilding project as KO, but then again KO had a much bigger task.  In 1989, KO did not have a state-of-the-art athletic facility, Marquette was in the god-awful MCC, and Marquette was nowhere near a top 5 (in dollars spent) program.

I will reserve judgment on Wojo for another season, but his "floor" is a lot higher than KO's.

I agree with you regarding the Wojo / KO comparisons.  It is hard for me to remember how I felt back then in his third year however.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
State of the program, fair to poor.  Near the bottom of the conference.  Lost to one of the two worst teams.  Not even close to being in the hunt for the NCAA tourney.  If we are talking 'maybe' we have a chance for the NIT then that is state of the program.

Ok, so HE is good.  He isn't enough to carry a team at this point consistently.  His defense is suspect.  He is gone.

As always, it will always hinge on recruiting.  What would I be happy with? 23 wins'ish, top 1/3 of the conference, NCAA with an occasional deep run.  That would be a good state of the program to me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:01:20 PM by lohaus »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
98.58%

Counting Luke as a Junior and Duane as a Sophomore. A little bit of Fool's Gold, ai na?

Now, inexperience at PG is a major issue as is who is starting at PG--the one who never played a minute there in high school and who will be a great 2G.  That is a coach decision.  Ying and Yang.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »
Was watching the Michigan State game this afternoon. Would really be a good role model for us.  Izzo has a stready stream of bigs that become solid players as upper classmen who crash the offensive boards and get tip ins  , The rest of the team is very focused on moving the ball. The team makes a lot of layups and has wide open looks for 3s. Moves the ball on the break. MSU is getting blue blood results by sticking with this method year after year. Occasionally they get a great recruit, but for the most part they actually develop their players. It has been that way since the Jud Heathcoate era for them.

Assuming HE goes, we still have a decent base to work off of. Luke is a solid senior center, JJJ will be an impactful senior, Duane will continue to be productive, Haanif could be a bona fide star.  Rowsey is a proven D1 player who will contribute. Sandy is a question mark but his athleticism and experience should converge into something better next year.  Carter is on a steady upward progression should be better as a sophomore.

If Heldt and Anim can make the next step and become bona fide Big East level role players as Sophs we should be ok.

Anything from Hauser or a transfer would be gravy.

In the meantime we have to start stockpiling bigs like MSU. That is what the Xaviers of the world seem to be doing well. Even Creighton seems to consistently come up competitive bigs. This will reduce the reliance on outside shooting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
Our old facility was great if we were a Horizon League team, not a BEast team.  I agree with you that 3 sub par years is wearing on the old timers.  Count me among them.

Duke's facility also would be great if they were a Horizon League team. Same with Notre Dame's facility, good for a Big West team.

Ditto Oklahoma's, Baylor's, Gonzaga's, Oregon State's, Colorado's, Washington's, Auburn's, Mississippi State's, etc, etc, etc.

What a bunch of losers, starting with Duke and ND!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
Was watching the Michigan State game this afternoon. Would really be a good role model for us.  Izzo has a stready stream of bigs that become solid players as upper classmen who crash the offensive boards and get tip ins  , The rest of the team is very focused on moving the ball. The team makes a lot of layups and has wide open looks for 3s. Moves the ball on the break. MSU is getting blue blood results by sticking with this method year after year. Occasionally they get a great recruit, but for the most part they actually develop their players. It has been that way since the Jud Heathcoate era for them.

Assuming HE goes, we still have a decent base to work off of. Luke is a solid senior center, JJJ will be an impactful senior, Duane will continue to be productive, Haanif could be a bona fide star.  Rowsey is a proven D1 player who will contribute. Sandy is a question mark but his athleticism and experience should converge into something better next year.  Carter is on a steady upward progression should be better as a sophomore.

If Heldt and Anim can make the next step and become bona fide Big East level role players as Sophs we should be ok.

Anything from Hauser or a transfer would be gravy.

In the meantime we have to start stockpiling bigs like MSU. That is what the Xaviers of the world seem to be doing well. Even Creighton seems to consistently come up competitive bigs. This will reduce the reliance on outside shooting.
yes, Creighton does sell in that respect.  This year, they have a Top 100 guy 6'11" Jusyim Patton redshirting as well.  Too bad we dis not have the luxury of that with Heldt.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
The upperdeck of the student section was empty at tip-off.  That's an issue.  Young fans are apathetic.

And with regards to youth, we're starting 3 juniors and a McDonald's All-American.  Plus we sort of made it easy to leave for a would be senior in STJ.

Yesterday we started

Freshman
Freshman
Sophomore
Junior (who is really a Sophomore and a half because he lost time due to transfer)
Junior

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
Counting Luke as a Junior and Duane as a Sophomore. A little bit of Fool's Gold, ai na?

Now, inexperience at PG is a major issue as is who is starting at PG--the one who never played a minute there in high school and who will be a great 2G.  That is a coach decision.  Ying and Yang.

Luke didn't redshirt so he is a junior no matter how you look at it. Duane I get. But every other team counts their redshirts that way so its still an accurate number.

Definitely agree about the inexperience at PG
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »

Duane is a Redshirt Sophomore.  Luke is a junior, even though he hasn't played the number of games a normal Junior would due to the transfer.

Here's what I think is kind of funny from the Buzz brigade that was on the chat at the end of the game yesterday.

HE isn't here if Buzz is still here.  PERIOD.
The players that drive me the most crazy on this team...Duane Wilson....a Buzz recruit.  Tremendous talent, but also puts himself in so many spots where he is disadvantage.  JJJ...also a lot of talent, but doesn't like to play defense.  Sandy Cohen...at times can look pretty good, but has had a sophomore slump IMO.  Must get stronger.

Buzz left this team with a lot of misfit toys.  He just wasn't a great high school recruiter and our best player wouldn't even be here if he was still here, yet some people want him back (going off the chat room yesterday).  SMDH

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »
I am bullish on the team and program.  The admin never gave up on the program.  Neither did the fans.  Keep pounding.