Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: JJJ  (Read 11215 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: JJJ
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 09:51:06 PM »
Your over thinking this! So, don't call a timeout.

Yes.  Exactly.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
Lousy coaching and poor effort period.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
So did I miss something? Why was jjj sitting so much at the end.

Didn't you see all those lay-up by Bluejays seconds after a MU basket.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
Your over thinking this. So, don't call a timeout. If, Marquette put up a bad shot without calling a timeout, everyone would say, why didn't you call a timeout.

Disagree. We had all the momentum. Sucked the life out of the building, took the players out of their rhythm, gave Creighton a chance to change defenses.

If we're trailing, I'd totally say call it. Leading, not so much.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »
With that much time? Absogoddamnlutely. I'd rather be down 3 with 35 seconds than down 1 with 8 seconds. We gave that game away.

I totally agree with this. As soon as the free throw was missed I expected a foul. I couldn't believe that the defense just hung back. Maybe we didn't give the game away, but we didn't try to take control in those last 37 seconds.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Disagree. We had all the momentum. Sucked the life out of the building, took the players out of their rhythm, gave Creighton a chance to change defenses.

If we're trailing, I'd totally say call it. Leading, not so much.
I don't disagree with the logic. I wouldn't care if they didn't call a timeout. I wouldn't either.
Marquette didn't run the play. I'm not playing Monday morning QB, if a timeout is called or not.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:11 PM »
But even if Marquette gets the rebound, there is zero time to setup. It's literally just a bumrush for the last shot.
They fouled when they did not get the rebound and there still was 7+ seconds to score. Had they got the rebound they would of had 9+ seconds to score and would of only needed a two to win instead of a three to tie. 9 seconds is plenty of time. I think DePaul had slightly less than that when they beat us.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 12:07:50 AM »
Lousy coaching and poor effort period.

You thought the effort was poor...as in they were not trying, going through the motions?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 12:38:30 AM »
I missed the first half...was JJJ defense & shot selection pretty poor?

JJJ played 17 minutes & posted:

3 pts, 5 reb, 3 Ast

-- only 4 players had more rebounds in entire game

-- only 3 players had more assists in entire game

12 players for both teams played 17+ minutes aside from JJJ for reference

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »
You don't foul down by 1 with a 9 second differential between game and shot clock.  No coach in America at the college or pro level not named Valvano would foul in that situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 01:22:02 AM »
You don't foul down by 1 with a 9 second differential between game and shot clock.  No coach in America at the college or pro level not named Valvano would foul in that situation.

EXACTLY!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 08:08:45 AM »
I missed the first half...was JJJ defense & shot selection pretty poor?

JJJ played 17 minutes & posted:

3 pts, 5 reb, 3 Ast

-- only 4 players had more rebounds in entire game

-- only 3 players had more assists in entire game

12 players for both teams played 17+ minutes aside from JJJ for reference

JJJ was fine.  I have no idea why he didn't play more unless he was missing defensive rotations.  I was flabbergasted when I saw Luke come out for the last play for instance.

I will say this, I thought Wojo was CLEARLY outcoached that game.  McDermott can coach.  The only question is whether or not he could recruit, and it looks like that's going well for him now too.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
JJJ wasn't get back on defense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
I didn't see the game. But Velazquez seems to think that JJJ was awful on defense in the first half and that's why he sat. Looking at the box score, 1-5 from the floor isn't good either.

As for the fouling or not fouling situation, again, I didn't see the game, but I would much rather be down 1 with 9 seconds left than up 3 with 30 seconds.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 08:17:32 AM »
I will say this, I thought Wojo was CLEARLY outcoached that game.  McDermott can coach.  The only question is whether or not he could recruit, and it looks like that's going well for him now too.

He's built a great program there. Huge asset to the league. I hope we're saying the same about Wojo in 2-3 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 08:20:15 AM »

Yes, he loafs getting back on D and Creighton burned us and him more than once.

For those saying bad timeout, you would have said why no timeout if we didn't score. Also a theme in post game was fatigue so I have no problem calling a timeout on important possession to catch breath. Execution was the problem.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 08:22:50 AM »
For those saying bad timeout, you would have said why no timeout if we didn't score. Also a theme in post game was fatigue so I have no problem calling a timeout on important possession to catch breath. Execution was the problem.

I wouldn't have said that because there was no reason to call the timeout.

And fatigue?  They last played on Wednesday.  How could they be fatigued?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
I didn't see the game. But Velazquez seems to think that JJJ was awful on defense in the first half and that's why he sat. Looking at the box score, 1-5 from the floor isn't good either.

OK thanks.  Obviously missed it.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
Didn't you see all those lay-up by Bluejays seconds after a MU basket.

Radio (McIlvaine) made same comment.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »

I wouldn't have said that because there was no reason to call the timeout.

And fatigue?  They last played on Wednesday.  How could they be fatigued?

No reason to call timeout to set play on important possession? Ok.

They played 50 minutes on Wednesday.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:07 AM »
This team has NCAA talent.  Its coaching has NIT talent.

Not the first time Wojo has blamed the players for complete lack of execution.  How about he takes at least some of the blame.

Wojo needs to get a more experienced coach on that sideline.  I have a bad feeling Wojo is more like Lavin.  A great recruiter who is not a very good in game coach. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »

If this is such a big deal it sure is lucky we won't be going to the tourney.  I guess we can forget a run in the BET - pre ordained excuse. Lame.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »
This team has NCAA talent.  Its coaching has NIT talent.

I would say the team and coaches have NCAA talent. But I would also say that both have CBI level experience. Both need to be developed and will get there with time.

I have a bad feeling Wojo is more like Lavin.  A great recruiter who is not a very good in game coach. 

I don't agree. We've seen Wojo make better adjustments as the season has gone on. Butler, Xavier, and Providence were some of his best games. I didn't see the game last night but it sounds like it was a step backwards. Those happen, especially for young coaches.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »

As for the fouling or not fouling situation, again, I didn't see the game, but I would much rather be down 1 with 9 seconds left than up 3 with 30 seconds.

Well I'd rather be up 3 with 30 than down 1 with 9  ;). But I'm assuming you meant down 3 with 30, so we agree.

As far as why JJJ didn't play as much tonight there was a point about 4-5 minutes into the 2nd half where JJJ turned into old JJJ and Wojo was rightfully not happy. It was pretty obvious to anybody in the BC that Wojo and the entire staff was ready for Creighton to push the ball off of makes as the entire game Wojo and 2-3 assistants were out on the court screaming and waiving for the team to run back. Apparently JJJ missed the memo, as everyone on the court but him sprinted back and were yelling and pointing at where their guy was, etc. but JJJ got burned for an easy layup. Wojo got fired up and yelled to Sandy to get off the bench. JJJ had to have seen it as on MU's next possession he puts up a 3 with plenty of time on the shot clock. Then I forget what happened on Creighton's next possession, but on the following Marquette possession JJJ gets it on the left wing and tries to drive across to the right block through 4 defenders and forces up a horrible shot that he knew had no shot of going in, so he tried to get a whistle by flopping to the ground. Instead of getting up as fast as he could and sprinting back he kind of looked around for someone to whine to and then jogged back, getting across half court just in time to see Creighton, playing 5 on 4, hit a wide open 3 pointer. Timeout Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
No reason to call timeout to set play on important possession? Ok.

No.  There is no reason to call that timeout.  Marquette had scored on the last few possessions and just had a defensive stop.  Wojo should have let them play with the momentum and crowd on their side.

And you think 10 extra minutes 72 hours earlier made them fatigued?  They didn't have to travel either.