'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Look Good Play Good Duane  (Read 12088 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Look Good Play Good Duane
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
So had Duane scored Creighton would have had their PG inbound it to their big man while off balance? Because that right there could change the possession. Watson could have taken it up the right side. Or the left. Maybe he would take more or less time bringing it up. Maybe because Duane scored, the situation would be different and he would call a different play. Maybe because Duane scored he would have felt the need to answer right away and taken a three from the top of the key. Maybe he would have been so flustered by Duane scoring that he dribbled it off his foot. Maybe McDermott would have been afraid of momentum swinging and called a time out. Maybe because we scored, Traci wouldn't have felt the need to be aggressive and go for the steal. Maybe Duane would have gotten caught up celebrating and let his man get behind him for an easy score.

Who knows? There is literally no way to know what would have happened the next possession. To try and claim otherwise is silly.

Don't get me wrong, there is no situation where Duane missing the layup is a good thing. No matter what, that is an awful mistake.

Nope, the big white guy would've gotten the ball and inbounded it to him, which he essentially did by handing the ball right back to him. He would've walked the ball up the middle of the court, just like he did. Creighton isn't in desperation 3 point mode with 4:30 left. It was an identical situation, other than Duane took 2 points off of the score board. Once again, where it changes is down the end, when Creighton was able to defend straight up in a 1 possession game instead of having to foul in a 2 possession game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »
Nope, the big white guy would've gotten the ball and inbounded it to him, which he essentially did by handing the ball right back to him. He would've walked the ball up the middle of the court, just like he did. Creighton isn't in desperation 3 point mode with 4:30 left. It was an identical situation, other than Duane took 2 points off of the score board. Once again, where it changes is down the end, when Creighton was able to defend straight up in a 1 possession game instead of having to foul in a 2 possession game.

So you're going to maintain, with 100% certainty, that the next possession would have been identical. Same play called, exact same movements made, exact same decisions made, and exactly the same outcome. Even though the score was different, the inbound was different, the momentum was different, and there are literally thousands of tiny factors that contribute to how a possession in basketball goes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »
I shudder to think how truly awful this season would have been were it not for Duane Wilson. We go from mediocre to terrible without his play.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
So you're going to maintain, with 100% certainty, that the next possession would have been identical. Same play called, exact same movements made, exact same decisions made, and exactly the same outcome. Even though the score was different, the inbound was different, the momentum was different, and there are literally thousands of tiny factors that contribute to how a possession in basketball goes.

Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
Milwaukee kid. Lacks fundamentals. Erratic. Inconsistent.
stupid post

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »
I shudder to think how truly awful this season would have been were it not for Duane Wilson. We go from mediocre to terrible without his play.

My wall wouldn't have a hole in it. (TEAL)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »
I'm with Keefe here. Duane has some infuriating plays but we would be far worse without him. That goes for all of our top 7 guys with maybe the exception of Cohen. And we don't win the UW game without Cohen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 04:37:28 PM »
Yes.

I'll give you credit. You stick to your guns. I agree to disagree.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »

He giveth and he taketh away.  Has a TON of talent, but makes me pull my hair out since the day he got here.

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
duane rather look good than be good

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »
duane rather look good than be good

Always on your game teamdee

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
Always on your game teamdee

YEP. And that game is the game of douchery.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
Duane is the guy I want with the ball in the last two minutes. He has no memory, which is a great quality for a shooter. He's not perfect, but no one on this team is.

I'll take Cheatham.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »

Duane Wilson is a very talented player. His stats are solid. He has won games for the Warriors; and, he has lost games for the team.

The one thing I have noted is that often he is not into the "flow" of the offense. It seems, at times, there are four MU guys trying to run a play and while Duane is on his own doing something else. It is also common to have the other four over-look him and not pass the ball to him.

It very well may be because of his talent, Coach Wojo gives him total free reign on offense. It may also be he is, indeed, an enigma this year.

If anyone transfers out at the end of the season, which does not seem likely, (speculation alert) it could be Duane who might not be "comfortable" this year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2016, 09:11:55 AM »
Duane Wilson is a very talented player. His stats are solid. He has won games for the Warriors; and, he has lost games for the team.

The one thing I have noted is that often he is not into the "flow" of the offense. It seems, at times, there are four MU guys trying to run a play and while Duane is on his own doing something else. It is also common to have the other four over-look him and not pass the ball to him.

It very well may be because of his talent, Coach Wojo gives him total free reign on offense. It may also be he is, indeed, an enigma this year.

If anyone transfers out at the end of the season, which does not seem likely, (speculation alert) it could be Duane who might not be "comfortable" this year.

What games has Duane lost for MU this season?

He's in the flow just as much as everyone else. There have been plenty of times this season when MU's offense pretty much has no flow, Duane or no Duane on the court. Also, none of his teammates intentionally don't pass the ball to him.

Duane has already redshirted. If he transferred, he'd lose a full year of eligibility. Highly unlikely.

I shudder to think where this team would be without Duane Wilson.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
He was bad against Xavier at home, but has had his ups and downs like everyone else. I'm more concerned with his health. He seems to have lost some explosiveness. Two years ago, there's no way he would have missed that layup against Creighton, because he would have thrown it down hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Duane Wilson statistically is better than Vander Blue was as a sophomore.  (With the exception of rebounds.)  Duane isn't as good a defender as Vander, but he isn't bad.

Duane is absolutely fine.  He is going to start and likely be the best guard on the floor for Marquette the next two years.  I have no clue why people are so hard on him.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
Duane Wilson statistically is better than Vander Blue was as a sophomore.  (With the exception of rebounds.)  Duane isn't as good a defender as Vander, but he isn't bad.

Duane is absolutely fine.  He is going to start and likely be the best guard on the floor for Marquette the next two years.  I have no clue why people are so hard on him.

Easy target.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »

Keeping Duane + Ike happy > losing Duane to another program

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »

Every mediocre team needs a whipping boy.

The freshmen get a pass because they're freshmen. Luke's a local traditional. Wally's a hustling traditional and doesn't see enough minutes. JJJ has had a couple good scoring games. That leaves Sandy and Duane. Duane takes more shots and has no conscience, which rubs some fans the wrong way. Therefore, it's obviously his fault that this team isn't better.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »

I don't know about that. I think Cheatham is better right now. And, his upside IMO, is much higher.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
He was bad against Xavier at home, but has had his ups and downs like everyone else. I'm more concerned with his health. He seems to have lost some explosiveness. Two years ago, there's no way he would have missed that layup against Creighton, because he would have thrown it down hard.

Doubtful given he was redshirting with a leg injury.  Maybe 1 year ago? Not sure, but when I think explosive, I think Deonte Burton, not Duane Wilson.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
I don't know about that. I think Cheatham is better right now. And, his upside IMO, is much higher.

I was classifying him as more of a wing.  Classic small forward.  But I agree with your general assessment.