'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Look Good Play Good Duane  (Read 11972 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Look Good Play Good Duane
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
When you're up 1 with 4:30 to play you lay the ball into the hoop on a breakaway when you're a below the rim player. Kid continues to cost us games and it's purely mental errors.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenZebra

• All American
Re: Look Good Play Good Duane
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
That missed layup was infuriating. He had so much time, space, etc.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
When you're up 1 with 4:30 to play you lay the ball into the hoop on a breakaway when you're a below the rim player. Kid continues to cost us games and it's purely mental errors.

Milwaukee kid. Lacks fundamentals. Erratic. Inconsistent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:01:44 PM »
Play didn't really matter.  Creighton missed on the offensive end and Marquette scored the next time down. 

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:03:44 PM »
duane is just a frustrating player to have on your team. he's made some huge shots this year, but wow the poor decision making, wild shot attempts, and horrendous mistakes just kill us

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »
duane is just a frustrating player to have on your team. he's made some huge shots this year, but wow the poor decision making, wild shot attempts, and horrendous mistakes just kill us

I will take Duane on my team any day of the week.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:04 PM »
Play didn't really matter.  Creighton missed on the offensive end and Marquette scored the next time down.

Disagree.  Momentum, another 2 points in an uncontested play.  You can't get an easier basket than that one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:47 PM »
Duane is the guy I want with the ball in the last two minutes. He has no memory, which is a great quality for a shooter. He's not perfect, but no one on this team is.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
Duane is the guy I want with the ball in the last two minutes. He has no memory, which is a great quality for a shooter. He's not perfect, but no one on this team is.

What about the other 38 minutes?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »
Disagree.  Momentum, another 2 points in an uncontested play.  You can't get an easier basket than that one.

Well I shouldn't say it didn't matter.  But Marquette rebounded from that to make a stop and score the next time down.  It had no effect on momentum.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »

Well I shouldn't say it didn't matter.  But Marquette rebounded from that to make a stop and score the next time down.  It had no effect on momentum.

Again, disagree.  Talk about a kick to the balls and a momentum deflater.  Nothing worse than seeing your teammate chunk a breakaway, it certainly doesn't help momentum and the crowd let out a giant WTF.  That's momentum killing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
Again, disagree.  Talk about a kick to the balls and a momentum deflater.  Nothing worse than seeing your teammate chunk a breakaway, it certainly doesn't help momentum and the crowd let out a giant WTF.  That's momentum killing.

Well once again you are just arguing to argue.  I don't think it mattered. Not the reason they lost.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »

...so we were -2 points. Big difference going down the stretch there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
...so we were -2 points. Big difference going down the stretch there.

You are making assumptions about how it would have played out.  I don't think it was a factor in the outcome.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »

You are making assumptions about how it would have played out.  I don't think it was a factor in the outcome.

It was a straight up 2 points off of the board for us.  They push off of makes, but we had 4 guys back on defense make or miss (because Duane was COMPLETELY alone for a layup).  If you don't think that the difference between being up 3, getting a stop, and getting a bucket to make it a 2 possession game and missing the dunk, being up 1, getting a stop, and then getting a bucket to still only be up one possession is a huge difference with 3 minutes left in the game, I honestly don't know what else to say.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »
It was a straight up 2 points off of the board for us.  They push off of makes, but we had 4 guys back on defense make or miss (because Duane was COMPLETELY alone for a layup).  If you don't think that the difference between being up 3, getting a stop, and getting a bucket to make it a 2 possession game and missing the dunk, being up 1, getting a stop, and then getting a bucket to still only be up one possession is a huge difference with 3 minutes left in the game, I honestly don't know what else to say.

Because you can't make the assumption that we still get the stop and the make. 

AND Marquette STILL should have won.  If Duane's miss happens in the first minute of the game, you wouldn't even be talking about it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »

Because you can't make the assumption that we still get the stop and the make. 

AND Marquette STILL should have won.  If Duane's miss happens in the first minute of the game, you wouldn't even be talking about it.

I don't know what would've possibly changed.  We had 4 defenders back whether he would've made or missed the shot.  Our defense was set.  Their offense couldn't get out and beat our defense down the court.

But okay.  Be okay with our 21 year old guard continuing to make absolutely absurd mental errors that you won't even see at Marquette University High School during lunchtime intramural games and excuse it because the next possessions' outcomes may turn into something different if Duane didn't make those mental blunders.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
Dunk the fu.... ball!  Is it his leg why he doesn't dunk anymore.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
I don't know what would've possibly changed.  We had 4 defenders back whether he would've made or missed the shot.  Our defense was set.  Their offense couldn't get out and beat our defense down the court.

But okay.  Be okay with our 21 year old guard continuing to make absolutely absurd mental errors that you won't even see at Marquette University High School during lunchtime intramural games and excuse it because the next possessions' outcomes may turn into something different if Duane didn't make those mental blunders.

I never said I was "okay with it." I said it didn't have the ultimate outcome on the game that you are stating.  God you such a disingenuous turd with your goalpost shifting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »

I never said I was "okay with it." I said it didn't have the ultimate outcome on the game that you are stating.  God you such a disingenuous turd with your goalpost shifting.

Lol.

Certainly seems like you're doing everything you can to defend a completely botched wide open breakaway (while we were up 1, with 4:30 left, mind you).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:27 PM »
What about the other 38 minutes?

Tongue in cheek, but I definitely feel Duane is the one guy that can turn it up at the end. He could be god awful for 38 minutes and I still want the ball in his hands at the end.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
Tongue in cheek, but I definitely feel Duane is the one guy that can turn it up at the end. He could be god awful for 38 minutes and I still want the ball in his hands at the end.

If we are trailing or tied, I agree.  If we are leading in a 1 possession game, I don't even want him within a mile of the stadium.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 10:16:31 PM »
Lol.

Certainly seems like you're doing everything you can to defend a completely botched wide open breakaway (while we were up 1, with 4:30 left, mind you).

No.  I just have the understanding that a botched layup with 4:30 to go is no different than a botched lay up with 15:00 left on the clock in the first half.

I am placing the play in its proper perspective while you are putting undo emphasis on it.  After that miss, Marquette extended its lead, and then gained it back twice after Creighton tied it up.  Including having a two point lead and the ball with 1:40 left when Wojo called timeout with the lead.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »

No.  I just have the understanding that a botched layup with 4:30 to go is no different than a botched lay up with 15:00 left on the clock in the first half.

I am placing the play in its proper perspective while you are putting undo emphasis on it.  After that miss, Marquette extended its lead, and then gained it back twice after Creighton tied it up.  Including having a two point lead and the ball with 1:40 left when Wojo called timeout with the lead.

...right.  So add 2 points onto that and there's a very different situation coming out of a timeout with 1:40 left.

If you really think a 3 pointer with 18:24 left in the first half is just as big of a 3 pointer as a 3 pointer down by 3 with 23 seconds left in the game then more power to you Sultan.  You are smarter than me.

There are certain points in games that are more important than others.  A layup to stop a 12-0 run is bigger than a layup to start the game.  A missed layup that would've pushed your lead to 3 with 4:30 to play is more important than a missed layup with 15 minutes to go in the 1st half and a 1 point lead.  There's this thing called "time and situation."  It makes big differences.  Possessions don't happen in vacuums.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:24:36 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »
...right.  So add 2 points onto that and there's a very different situation coming out of a timeout with 1:40 left.

Well if you make the assumption that the game plays itself out the EXACT SAME WAY after any missed shot, Duane's missed layup is no more important than Henry and Luke going a combined 1-6 at the line, Haanif's two charges, etc. 

That is pretty much my point.  You are placing too much emphasis on one play especially considering that Marquette scored on its next three offensive possessions afterward.  (Which nixes the "momentum" argument.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:32:25 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

feedback