'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Matt Heldt's ceiling  (Read 8004 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt's ceiling
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
I remember how Downing came down to MU and DePaul. When he announced DePaul it seemed like the end of the world. We turned around and signed Lloyd Moore and we all know how that turned out.

Hank continued to sign great guards. But unlike Al, he never could get the aircraft carrier.

Lloyd Moore was a program changer.

Unfortunately for MU, the program had previously been top flight.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
Matt Heldt should insist on 9 foot ceilings, he is pretty tall.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
Even if Matt isn't getting a lot of game time right now, I wouldn't discount the experience of practicing against Henry and Luke every day.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
Downing separated his shoulder while playin' for da Warriors vs Northwestern, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 09:47:08 PM »
Yeah, but will Matt play a bass guitar during the star spangled banner in his last home game as a senior…ala Walter Downing???  Anyone else remember that moment from big Walter on his senior day?    Sadly, that was the highlight of the center position for Marquette over the next few years as it then went to a serviceable Tom Copa and then began a free fall to the Joe Nathan, Rod Gross and Roman Mueller's of the world.    I went to MU from 1984-1988….my freshman year was only 7 years following the national championship and by my senior year it felt like 70.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
Heldt is going to be a pretty good player by the time he is an upper classmen. I think he will be 11-12 points a game 6-7 boards and pretty dependable. Would like to see him get some more time against the cupcakes next year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 04:05:25 AM »
Actually, Chris was signed by tom Crean.  though, buzz was the assistant who knew the HS coach.  Looking forward to seeing Matt develop.

Wasn't Chris signed by Al?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 04:11:06 AM »
Walter was at the end of the day a big turd.  I remember the play where he dislocated his shoulder.  Dude was in major pain.  Not the impact player we thought he would be. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 08:09:04 AM »
I think Rick biggest disappointment was when he didn't land Joe Wolf.He was Head Coach then and landing Wolf would have been huge for his career at MU.

Landing Joe Wolf would have said, "weeeee'reeeeeee baaaaaaccckkkk!" 

The lesson in this is that a coach has to sign the "one" big fish. For Al, it was George Thompson. For Hank, it was Glenn Rivers. Kevin's was big Jim and Crean's was DWade. These guys send a message that a school is big time and for real. Especially if they develop, like DWade or George Thompson, into something truly special. Once these guys are signed, the dam breaks and the great players consider Marquette.

I'm hoping Ellenson turns into this generation's George Thompson or DWade.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
Walter was at the end of the day a big turd.  I remember the play where he dislocated his shoulder.  Dude was in major pain.  Not the impact player we thought he would be.

4:11 a.m., Chili?

Were you just back from the bars? Or was that Real Chili going nuclear in your digestive system?

Or were you having a heart attack from all that Real Chili and its effects on your  circulatory system?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »
4:11 a.m., Chili?

Were you just back from the bars? Or was that Real Chili going nuclear in your digestive system?

Or were you having a heart attack from all that Real Chili and its effects on your  circulatory system?

Nope, fell asleep on the couch.  Woke up about that time.   The other options were viable about 20 years ago.   ;). However, I do plan to attempt all of those options on February 27th after my Warriors put a whoopin on the #1 team in the country.  A bunch of my fellow '83 alum will start at Buck Bradley's.  We've got the Uline suite for the game, then a spot reserved at Turners for after the game.  I'd wager at least a dollar that the evening will end at Real Chili.  Life will be good.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
Nope, fell asleep on the couch.  Woke up about that time.   The other options were viable about 20 years ago.   ;). However, I do plan to attempt all of those options on February 27th after my Warriors put a whoopin on the #1 team in the country.  A bunch of my fellow '83 alum will start at Buck Bradley's.  We've got the Uline suite for the game, then a spot reserved at Turners for after the game.  I'd wager at least a dollar that the evening will end at Real Chili.  Life will be good.

Have four tickets to the same whoopin. Think Ms. DGies might be with me as well. She does not like and never did like Real Chili. Something about preventing excessive plaque build-up on her arterial walls.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »
Landing Joe Wolf would have said, "weeeee'reeeeeee baaaaaaccckkkk!" 

The lesson in this is that a coach has to sign the "one" big fish. For Al, it was George Thompson. For Hank, it was Glenn Rivers. Kevin's was big Jim and Crean's was DWade. These guys send a message that a school is big time and for real. Especially if they develop, like DWade or George Thompson, into something truly special. Once these guys are signed, the dam breaks and the great players consider Marquette.

I'm hoping Ellenson turns into this generation's George Thompson or DWade.

Merritt was the far more important recruit for Crean. He was the first high-profile guy he went after, best player in the state, ranked in the top 100, recruited against Michigan State, Ohio State and Illinois.  Wade wasn't top 100 and not even in the top 5 for Illinois Mr. Basketball his senior year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
Jarrod Lovette

What a missed opportunity his senior year turned out to be.  I hope all is great with him now.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
What a missed opportunity his senior year turned out to be.  I hope all is great with him now.

Ditto   

Hope all is well

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks